ADVERTISEMENT

A little inside Info on Burch

Jan 7, 2004
Have not been here in weeks and have not read any other posts - so sorry if this has been covered.

Burch is a Gamecock and wants to play at USC. He did sign yesterday - but being under 18, his mother has to sign his LOI also and she apparently wants him to go to LSU.

That is straight from the inside.

whatever piece of paper Burch signed yesterday, he passed to his mom and she signed as well.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-nli-south-carolina/humal58eun3n1e95w25zpq9km

Rumor from Tony Morrell

"Following the event, the 6-foot-5, 275 pounder signed his national letter of intent with South Carolina, but it was not faxed over to the university. I am told Burch is 100 percent sure of his decision and fully plans to attend South Carolina. However, his mother has not given her permission for the NLI to be sent over to the Gamecocks. It is unclear if or when she will grant that permission. I am also told his mom is on board with him attending South Carolina, so her reason for not allowing the letter to be sent is unclear. I will continue tracking this as best I can throughout the day and going forward, if needed."

Reactions: cockandload
Obviously, I hope Morrell's rumor is true, but it doesn't make the situation any less bizarre. If it's accurate, I feel bad for the kid that he's got such a poor support system.

Obviously, I hope Morrell's rumor is true, but it doesn't make the situation any less bizarre. If it's accurate, I feel bad for the kid that he's got such a poor support system.
His mother appears to be the only rational person in this group. She wouldn't fit in with this bunch.

Reactions: Flameout12
His mother appears to be the only rational person in this group. She wouldn't fit in with this bunch.
...and maybe, just maybe, mom has a good reason to hit the pause button.
What's best for this 17 yr old young man should be what we all want.

...and maybe, just maybe, mom has a good reason to hit the pause button.
What's best for this 17 yr old young man should be what we all want.
Agreed. Nobody on this board has given me a reason why it is in his best interest to sign vs not signing and signing his scholarship / financial aid packet just before he enrolls. Crickets.

Agreed. Nobody on this board has given me a reason why it is in his best interest to sign vs not signing and signing his scholarship / financial aid packet just before he enrolls. Crickets.

What's a scenario where it would be in his best interest to bypass the LOI and instead go the financial aid papers route?

Clemson has an interesting scenario a few years back. I do believe that if they both signed, he is a gamecock.

Markish Jones, 2007
by Bud Elliott

Sometimes the parent fouls things up. Other times, it is the kid.

The star receiver for Spartanburg (S.C.) Gettys D. Broome High School was heavily recruited all over the Southeast and given a four-star rating. Jones was committed to Clemson before backing out, likely due to academics. The decision came down to Clemson and Florida State.

Making matters more interesting was that each program was coached by a Bowden -- Tommy at Clemson and Bobby at Florida State. Jones signed to attend Clemson, as did his mom. That was a mistake, as Jones was not ready to make a decision. He did not fax the LOI to Clemson, and instead, after receiving a call from Florida State's coaches, signed the FSU LOI and faxed it to Tallahassee. Clemson persuaded Jones to send the other LOI to them, perhaps as a memento (hint: not really). Clemson appealed to the ACC and the NCAA, showing them Jones' Clemson LOI.

Quick, 1Ls reading this instead of paying attention in class! Think back to contract law. What controls: the signature or the fax?

The ruling was that Jones must go to Clemson. He wasn't happy, but put on a good face and didn't raise a big stink. Jones would end up in a junior college before committing to Cal.

What's a scenario where it would be in his best interest to bypass the LOI and instead go the financial aid papers route?
Players sign LOI all the time when they are 100% sure that is where they want to play. Once you sign the LOI you have to get released by the school if you change your mind. Obviously he wants some wiggle room, so that implies he isn't 100% sure this is where he wants to be or someone in his camp isn't.

Once he accepts a scholarship/financial aid he would have to enter transfer portal if he decided he didn't want to play here.

By not signing the LOI, it provides more leverage to the player to go elsewhere before he accepts financial aid. No matter how you spin that, a recruit that doesn't sign a LOI is leaving an option available to them should in fact they choose to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Only the last guy speaking said "Spurs up". The rest never mentioned any college.

More info than I care to share but I will a little bit here.

My mom suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder. Now before you jump, no, I’m not saying his mom does. What am saying is, I can relate to such parenting if these things are true, and believe me folks, its hell I mean hell. I assure you there are things and lines that can be crossed when a kid rightfully should walk away from such parent. Now maybe she has a really good legit reason for this, but it does remind me of the overbearing parent who thinks they own you like a possession. So again....if this is true, I feel really sorry for him because this stepping over the boundary and his rights. My personal advice to Jordan would be, so your thing man it’s your life and nobody else’s. People who love you will love you just the same and those who don’t, cut your loses kid and move forward, it’s your future.

02/14/2020 turns 18
remember who else has a birthday on 2/14?? that's a crazy coincidence.

also, listening to sirius xm u earlier today and they were discussing this - saying that it was "smart" of him not to sign and that he is not required to. mentioning dantonio and saying it's a get out of jail card in case for some reason something causes him to need to get out of coming here (ie coaching changes, etc.), which i agree with.

the issue for me, however, is that if that was the case, i'd love to hear something a little more definitive from him that he is re-upping on his commitment here, even if he isn't choosing to sign a LOI. him not doing that is what concerns me.

the hosts also said that he doesn't have social media which is obviously not true, so, whatever.

Are you really a Gamecock fan? You’re asserting a position just as much as we are. I wrestled in college until I tore my acl, mcl, pcl, medial meniscus, and had scar tissue the size of a golf ball removed from under my knee cap. His mom seems like a micro manager treating her kid like a stock option. If every kid did this we would always be held hostage and it’s unfair to kids who want to be here but can’t get the offer because of all that. Plus now with the transfer portal nothing is really solid now. At some point the school and team have to protect itself and also do what’s best. So are you for the team or a player?

Stop being irrational and asking questions. Trust me ...there’s no man behind the curtain. This all is very normal every kid does it. Cough bs cough. :)

Reactions: TigerWhite
Hope Tony has a good read on this. If it’s his Mom giving him a hard time (whatever her motives), I hope she comes around and gives her blessing to Jordan to pursue his football dreams at USC. Best of wishes to the young fellow.

The only issue I have had is it’s clear Muschamp has no idea what’s going on either. I’d expect that the family would at least tell him and explain it. They have a right to do what they choose.

The only issue I have had is it’s clear Muschamp has no idea what’s going on either. I’d expect that the family would at least tell him and explain it. They have a right to do what they choose.
I guarantee you that Muschamp knows exactly what's going on...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-nli-south-carolina/humal58eun3n1e95w25zpq9km

Rumor from Tony Morrell

"Following the event, the 6-foot-5, 275 pounder signed his national letter of intent with South Carolina, but it was not faxed over to the university. I am told Burch is 100 percent sure of his decision and fully plans to attend South Carolina. However, his mother has not given her permission for the NLI to be sent over to the Gamecocks. It is unclear if or when she will grant that permission. I am also told his mom is on board with him attending South Carolina, so her reason for not allowing the letter to be sent is unclear. I will continue tracking this as best I can throughout the day and going forward, if needed."
The Guesser is at it again......

I think no one in the know has a clue in a handbasket what's going on. Heck, maybe son and mom have no idea as well. But Carolina is handling all well. So we shall see. Might be April though. Going to drive a lot of people over the edge. Not me. but soooo many RUMORS. Coach O saying the 3 remaining scholarships are for the transfers.

Nobody knows what Muschamp knows and he could not say anything if he did... You are aware it is a violation for him to talk specifically about a recruit who has not signed yet right? Even when being asked in the general way reporters tried to probe him during his presser he cannot comment about Burch or his specific situation. He knows that and his answer was perfect- “you would have to ask them about that”.

Reactions: adg4419
Have not been here in weeks and have not read any other posts - so sorry if this has been covered.

Burch is a Gamecock and wants to play at USC. He did sign yesterday - but being under 18, his mother has to sign his LOI also and she apparently wants him to go to LSU.

That is straight from the inside.
I have no inside info, but this is exactly what I suspected. The parent has some anxiety about it and the kid is left holding the bag. Gotta let him make this decision for himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT