ADVERTISEMENT

A question for all of you that really follow USC Baseball. Do we have enough

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
good returning players next year to be good? I know we lost a number of players to the draft but don't know who we have coming back next year. I certainly follow USC baseball but not player by player.

We have a pretty solid group of young guys that are position players and a few that are pretty good hitters. Also have some talent coming in the recruiting class. What will tell the tale will be the pitching...pretty ragged right now but some good arms. If they can develope some of the young pitchers we have a chance to be respectable. JMO...

As mentioned, in my view it will be all about pitching. Good chance for a new pitching coach to start.

Sure does look like a rebuilding year to me! And IMO that's why it was the perfect time to make a coaching change!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Definitely enough coming back in the field as all position starters should return but may see some shake-up with the new staff . Add in the fact that usf had a slightly better fielding percentage and hopefully we will improve defensively. Offensively, usf hit about 25pts higher than us last year and with Current taking over there hopefully we will not only improve our batting average but cut down on strike outs.
As previous posts stated, pitching will be the key to a postseason run. With Hill and Morris returning, we should be ok with a Fri and Saturday guy assuming they take over those spots. That leaves a Sunday and mid-week starters as well as a closer and bullpen depth. It may take the new staff part of next season to figure out all of that but it'll interesting to watch

Reactions: wood90
There is enough talent to make the NCAA Tournament. We have a lot of talent at the plate that underperformed and was tight. I think you will see that the new staff make them better. We were an excellent fielding team that inexplicably made errors at the worst possible times. The big question for me is pitching depth and roles.

Reactions: wood90
good returning players next year to be good? I know we lost a number of players to the draft but don't know who we have coming back next year. I certainly follow USC baseball but not player by player.
I thought the consensus was that we have enough talent, it was just underperforming. Either that or the evaluations were off.

We are slam full of blue chip talent. Every guy who comes here for the past ten years+ is a STAR at the HS level and possesses the tools to be very good at the college level. We have as much raw TALENT as any team in the country and next year will be no exception.
EXPEREINCED DEPTH at pitcher is what we lack. If they can find another arm or two to be starters and some bullpen depth, we could be in Omaha next year.

Yea pitching is going to be the problem, Hill on Friday, after that, can't wait to see what Kingston comes up with, regardless, I'm excited about next year already.

It seems pitching will be an issue and he retained Myers, go figure. Agree we need Toman back!

Don't know why everyone is so down on Myers. He's done an excellent job of developing pitchers as evidenced by the draft this year. He worked Schmidt into the 16th player selected, ahead of Faedo who was a far higher rated recruit out of high school, and followed with Crowe going in 2nd round and Johnson in the 5th. Crowe was highly regarded out of high school but Johnson only had offers from Navy and Army outside of us. Obviously Myers can spot potential as no one else wanted Tyler Johnson who turned into a pretty darn good arm for us. Would have loved to see him return as a starter next year but signed anyway.

We lost a lot of series with teams coming from behind late in the game. To me that was due to not having depth at pitching and next year lord help us....I hope MK can bring some guys.

Don't know why everyone is so down on Myers. He's done an excellent job of developing pitchers as evidenced by the draft this year. He worked Schmidt into the 16th player selected, ahead of Faedo who was a far higher rated recruit out of high school, and followed with Crowe going in 2nd round and Johnson in the 5th. Crowe was highly regarded out of high school but Johnson only had offers from Navy and Army outside of us. Obviously Myers can spot potential as no one else wanted Tyler Johnson who turned into a pretty darn good arm for us. Would have loved to see him return as a starter next year but signed anyway.
I think alot of people choose to overlook the positive influence Meyers has had on the program. Could he do a better job of creating depth? Sure. Has he had pitchers with arm injuries? Yes but that is a common theme in baseball today. There are far more positives with him than negatives.
With Meyers you get a coach who knows the program probably better than anyone currently at USC with the exception of Tanner and that will help Kingston's and Current's transition. He's won a national championship, an sec tournament championship, and several regular season championships. He developed a golden spikes winner, along with numerous high round draft picks. Some, like you say, were not highly recruited. Plus you keep a coach that can soften the blow when it comes to recruiting during a coaching change.
Regardless of whether any fan thinks he should have been retained, Kingston obviously feels he gives us the best chance to get back on top. Based on Meyers accomplishments at Carolina, I agree

Reactions: carolinakg
It seems Meyers and the programs weakness is strength training. More concentration on pitching fundamentals to avoid injury, strength and conditioning along with speed drills for position players. When we line up against Florida, Vandy and others, we seem to be smaller and slower. We also wear down at the end of the season.

Jerry M. puts guys in the majors, and he is a very good recruiter and evaluator of talent.

I would have brought Toman back 1,000 times before Lake. He did nothing for the team last year.

I'd like to see toman back as well, but I heard lake was only in an administrative role last year

I think alot of people choose to overlook the positive influence Meyers has had on the program. Could he do a better job of creating depth? Sure. Has he had pitchers with arm injuries? Yes but that is a common theme in baseball today. There are far more positives with him than negatives.
With Meyers you get a coach who knows the program probably better than anyone currently at USC with the exception of Tanner and that will help Kingston's and Current's transition. He's won a national championship, an sec tournament championship, and several regular season championships. He developed a golden spikes winner, along with numerous high round draft picks. Some, like you say, were not highly recruited. Plus you keep a coach that can soften the blow when it comes to recruiting during a coaching change.
Regardless of whether any fan thinks he should have been retained, Kingston obviously feels he gives us the best chance to get back on top. Based on Meyers accomplishments at Carolina, I agree
Good post. I am one of those you speak of being critical of JM. My main beef has been the depth you speak of. I have not wanted to come off as being a pitching coach etc. In the end I am all for our team and coach's. Can't wait for new season GO COCKS.

Improved hitting, not stranding runners, minimizing injuries, deeper pitching rotation rather than using a handful of guys....you'll see a whole different team, my friend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT