ADVERTISEMENT

About that 4th amd 14.....

Also didn’t help the ref moved the ball up a yard from where he was standing. I had flashbacks to the Michigan game in the outback bowl.
That was weird.

It did not look like he got it, but I'm not sure a camera angle could comfirm it. Anyway, if it was short, they would have accepted the offsides.

That was a terrible spot but I don’t know if you can even challenge it. I honestly wish we didn’t call the time out on the previous play.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Another issue I had was with these intentional grounding calls... again. There was a play where the ECU qb clearly threw the ball OB while still in the pocket. Yeah there were some recievers and defenders over there, but it was pretty clear he was not throwing to them IMO. Now they have been pretty quick to call grounding so far this year, but in that case, they never even considered it. At that point, felt like we had to beat more than just ECU.

Looks like the ref gave the receiver his lean as his toes were dragging. Pretty hard to see that on video. Even if he did that it was an awfully generous spot.

Reactions: uscalumni
What has been always a curious matter for me is the sideline official is generally never at the spot where the player goes out of bound ... if you recall on this play, the official was trailing the play (which makes sense) and from 10-15 yards behind he know exactly where the ball was when the receiver goes out of bounds? He immediately went to the marker and planted his foot there for the spot ... it strongly appears he is assuming that is where the ball went out since they needed to get to that spot for the first bound ... I, too, was asking for a challenge ... a very bad spot ... overall, USC did receive short end of the stick calls (DJ fumble and intentional grounding) ... it was good to see the Gamecocks overcome this and their own implosion moments (stupid penalties) ...

Yes, a terrible call. Could we have used a timeout and request they look at the spot, or can that not be done?

I thought they should have challenged that - but then you look at the other three huge reviews and I then I thought: "what's the point?" The refs were calling the game one way.

I give USC so much credit - it's hard to pull off a "W" when the other team has 16 men on the field.

Agree I thought it was a generous spot live but didn`t realize it was that bad. Should have looked at it.

Reactions: cockofdawn
At the time I thought he was a yard short, but sideline catches are hard to see. The ref looked like he took the ball from someone on the sideline and then moved it forward a yard. That was the only play where I felt like there was home cooking. But again, sideline catches are hard to see.

At the time I thought he was a yard short, but sideline catches are hard to see. The ref looked like he took the ball from someone on the sideline and then moved it forward a yard. That was the only play where I felt like there was home cooking. But again, sideline catches are hard to see.
The only play?? Haha

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
D Joyner fumble after targeting? I don't think it was home cooking as much as incompetence.

I thought the officials officiated a prissy game. They came charging out of the gate intent on getting a player for targeting and kept it up the entire game, ignoring any ECU infractions (like the one on the Joyner “fumble” where the guy literally launched himself crown first projectile-like into Joyner). I know many have a hardon for Cam Smith, but I’ve seen worse “taunting” in a girls volleyball game and the unsportsmanlike on our sideline interception was comical.

The only play?? Haha
I watched the replays. They had to make those targeting calls and leave it to the review team to sort it out. Even the announcers (as bad as they were) said they had to make those calls.

Vann fumbled the ball before he crossed the end zone.

Cam Smith's antics won't be tolerated in any games this year. We need to get used to it. Standing over a guy after you tackled him and flexing in his face is unsportsmanlike conduct.

The refs were right there when DK was tackled. They didn't call targeting. I've watched the replay. It was close but it was not clearly targeting.

The refs were far from perfect, but I've seen worse officiated games. Much worse.

I watched the replays. They had to make those targeting calls and leave it to the review team to sort it out. Even the announcers (as bad as they were) said they had to make those calls.

Cam Smith's antics won't be tolerated in any games this year. We need to get used to it. Standing over a guy after you tackled him and flexing in his face is unsportsmanlike conduct.

The refs were right there when DK was tackled. They didn't call targeting. I've watched the replay. It was close but it was not clearly targeting.

The refs were far from perfect, but I've seen worse officiated games. Much worse.
🤣 One sentence you said those targeting calls had to be made and let the video booth figure it out, but then you say the hit on DK wasn't. Haha. Which is it? If those 4 against us deserved flags and reviews, the one against them surely did. I noticed Bell got away with about 5 holds on JuJu's good runs, so it goes both ways. They all hold, just some get away with it better than others.

Does anyone know if there are any repercussions for the officials if there is a poorly called game? Examples include the Michigan first down against the Gamecocks and the Florida/USC game a couple of years ago with the o-line movement and the hold for 50 yards down the field. Do they have anything to lose for such bull crap calls??

USCALUMNI

Does anyone know if there are any repercussions for the officials if there is a poorly called game? Examples include the Michigan first down against the Gamecocks and the Florida/USC game a couple of years ago with the o-line movement and the hold for 50 yards down the field. Do they have anything to lose for such bull crap calls??

USCALUMNI
Yep. When the refs royally screw us during the games, they end up getting raises and assigned to better games.

When you look at the camera angle when the stick went down and up pretty quickly, it’s not obvious that he got the first down, even with the bad spot. It is almost Michigan all over again.

Reactions: Lakecock1

Dude, I KNOW you did not just use those announcers as justification for the stuff you posted.

I see you left out the laughable “targeting” call against Muse on the sideline.

My friend, the stripes came out LOOKING for “targeting”, it’s the sexy call now, and they came out looking to call it on South Carolina for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT