ADVERTISEMENT

An honest question for all quempsum fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest Clemson fans stick to their on forum site and when they don't IGNORE them.

You are one crazy a$$ SOB if you think it has ruined my life. My wife and I are about to take a trip that probably costs more than your house, if you even own a house. Plus, as far as something driving someone crazy how about the last six football games, which quempsum won only one. And when is the last time quempsum won a national championship in any sport? Remember 2010 when USC send quempsum home from the CWS? I think that is driving you nuts and or crazy.
What's up with all the personal attacks? Not necessary.

Freddie B. Cocky is a decent and good poster here who does not deserve these personal attacks just because he is pointing out the truth

u07ehgy.gif

Charlie Pell admitted the cheatting saying he only did what he was told to do.Later when the situation repeated at Florida,the poor guy attempted suicide. Not sure why people still deny well documemted facts

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Without a doubt , it is looked at as a great accomplishment. I think it is somewhat funny that with all the cheating that goes on in the SEC you believe that your program could pass that level of scrutiny. That was when the NCAA had teeth, now they just look the other way ..so many examples scam newton , the southern cal debacle , fsu , etc.. That time wa snot a golden era od SC football either... you proud of the steroid scandal that rocked the nation with the SC article in Sports Illustrated? I mean really , what is that saying , people in "glass houses"....

I would say that back then every major college athletic program had players on steroids. Clemson was no different. Does the name Rich Tuten mean anything to you? The Clemson athletic dept. took great pride in proclaiming that he broke some mythical record of 500 lbs for the bench press. 500 lbs!!! That was back in the late 70's. Are you gonna tell me he wasn't on roids? Funny how we never hear about records like that any more. So don't try to pretend that Clemson was squeaky clean on the steroid issue. It's definitely not something we're proud of, but we never had a player die like Clemson did. It was a track athlete on steroids. One of Clemson's track coaches (Sam Colson) was made the scapegoat and was fired. Clemson has shown they can cover up a lot of mischief, but even they couldn't cover up the death of a student athlete. That whole story got all of about 2 inches of press on the last page of the sports section of the Greenville News, but it was at least mentioned. It was also chronicled in a long article in Sports Illustrated about the institutional sponsored cheating Clemson had been doing in both football and basketball for many years, which was written by John Feinstein, an acclaimed sports journalist. Even Tates Locke, your own basketball coach during that time, ratted you out. He even stated that he knew what they were doing was wrong, but they were winning where they never had before, and as he looked up in the stands, he saw the university president and the AD dancing in the isles, so what was he supposed to do. Eventually his conscience caught up to him, but he later told the whole sordid story.

Most of the posters on FGF are too young to know about all that went on at Clemson during those days. You (ESSOCLUB2) may be too, but I doubt it, because your excuses are like all the other Clemson fans and alums who beat their chest over that mythical '81 year. You never deny the cheating, but claim victory anyway. The worst of you people deny the facts until you are forced to admit them, when at that point the indoctrinated response seems to be, "We'll ya'll just suck at cheating!"

Isn't that just rich coming from such a morally superior bunch of snobs?

I personally don't think the cheating ever stopped in the Ford era. Some schools have to cheat in order to stay a little ahead of their rivals. Clemson is a prime example and will have to resort to cheating to compete in the years to come if they aren't already doing it with their south Florida recruiting.

Do you really think they cheated just to stay ahead of us ? If you believe this I have beach front property for sale in the Smokey Mountains..

Do you look at the quempsum 1981 so called National Championship in football with a source of pride? I mean, how could any tater fan stick their chest out knowing all of the penalties that followed the next year? The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time.

Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in future cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum. I forget how many violations the NCAA found quempsum guilty of during the investigation but, again, it was the most ever committed by any college or university until that time.

Under today's rules any national championship would be rescinded if it were determined that such cheating occurred in order to win said championship.

So, again, I am just wondering, if it is a source of pride that all quempsum fans look to and say we WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN FOOTBALL?

Thank you.
We are pretty proud of BOTH National titles. What is the narrative on the 2016 title?

We are pretty proud of BOTH National titles. What is the narrative on the 2016 title?

IMO Clemson earned this one, although the meteoric rise in recruiting over such a short time period coupled with Clemson's past reputation is reason enough to raise eyebrows. The last time Clemson's recruiting took such a sharp turn up within a 4-5 year time period was in the late 70's ... and a NC followed in '81. These are facts that make us go hmmmm.

Time will tell whether this was a legit one or not.

Do you look at the quempsum 1981 so called National Championship in football with a source of pride? I mean, how could any tater fan stick their chest out knowing all of the penalties that followed the next year? The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time.

Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in future cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum. I forget how many violations the NCAA found quempsum guilty of during the investigation but, again, it was the most ever committed by any college or university until that time.

Under today's rules any national championship would be rescinded if it were determined that such cheating occurred in order to win said championship.

So, again, I am just wondering, if it is a source of pride that all quempsum fans look to and say we WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN FOOTBALL?

Thank you.
Since you asked. Yes. I don't think Clemson was doing anything that every other school in the south wasn't doing. We just really sucked at doing it. UGA and some other schools, particularly in the SEC, were very good at it. Pros in fact.

Thank you.
Give me 35 years to think about it and I'll get back to you

Always a fun topic on this board...

To answer the question, yes, and it always will be a great accomplishment. Winning a National Championship in football is hard.

The framework of your question is flawed because of the rival tinge in your recitation of the events.

"The sanctions administered against quempsum by the NCAA in 1982 were the most severe ever handed down to any college / university in the history of college sports at that time."

Not True. The NCAA handed down equal or greater sanctions many times: TV: equal or greater 57 times; Postseason: equal or greater 66 times; and Probation length: equal or greater 90 times. These were all before Clemson's probation. If you count all time, the numbers are much higher.

"Many people have said the quempsum incident was the forerunner that caused the NCAA to implement a plan to impose the death penalty in future cases to any college/university that committed atrocious acts such as the ones perpetrated by quempsum."

Not True. The NCAA had issued a death penalty twice before Clemson's probation. SMU's death penalty had nothing to do with Clemson, but rather that SMU was put on some form of probation five times between 1974 and 1985. The big one came in 1987 when they were caught doing the same thing that landed them on probation in 1985. They simply did not care what the NCAA did or said.

Finally, Clemson's probation was relatively light in comparison to others and did not mandate any vacating of wins because the majority of the "money" violations centered around two players that never enrolled, James Cofer and Terry Minor. The Nashville booster's "Christmas Gifts" of $500 (Minor) and $1000 (Cofer) were definitely a big deal and had they enrolled, the NCAA sanctions would have been stiffer I suspect. The NCAA has vacated records 124 times I think. The funny thing is, I do not think either player was that highly touted, but they were being recruited and the booster certainly wanted them at Clemson.

There were several other allegations of "offers" but not many "gave(s)." The majority of the violations centered around giving rides to prospects, paying phone or medical/dentist bills, flying a prospect home from Jr College,offering transportation to parents, etc. Violations, certainly, but hardly "atrocious acts" as you describe them.

Obviously this is nothing that fans on either side of the Rivalry will agree about, but that what makes it fun. It is similar when folks over here complain about the "tutoring probation" when, in reality, the university was nailed because the former Associate AD was mandating violations occur and telling folks to get rid of (or do not maintain) records that the NCAA would use against the university in an investigation. The rest of the violations were similar to Clemson's above: improper transportation, etc.

Anyway, again, always a great topic for the off-season...
156 recruiting violations whittled down to 13! And they still allowed them the title! They did this after we beat them 56/13 I believe in 1976. Does this seem parrallel to beating them 5 times and 4 years later this! Makes one wonder eh?

156 recruiting violations whittled down to 13! And they still allowed them the title! They did this after we beat them 56/13 I believe in 1976. Does this seem parrallel to beating them 5 times and 4 years later this! Makes one wonder eh?
I guess some good came out of the 5 losses

Ok, so what do we make of Marcus Lattimore, DJ Swearinger, Jadeveon Clowney, Alshon Jeffery, Connor Shaw, etc.?

Lattimore, Clowney, and Jeffery were the only big fish of this group. Shaw was a 3-star, and so was DJ, both of whom developed significantly. The others were big time players from the start, but the number of 4-star and 5-star players Clem has brought in from the level they where at is significant.

All you have to do is look at Ole Miss's recruiting rise. We all suspected what was going on, and we were right. If the NCAA dug a little more, I imagine Larry Tunsill was just one of a great many receiving improper benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT