ADVERTISEMENT

Any mechanic geniuses here?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Was out of town last week and car A/C blew up. Was way too hot to drive back like that so took it to a local shop where they replaced the compressor, condenser and expansion valve. All seemed hunky dory. Got home and noticed there didn't seem to be any difference when I pressed the "recirculate" button. Dropped the glove box and saw that the flap which controls whether you're using outside air or cabin air was in the recirculate air position. When I pressed the recirculate button, nothing happened. It stays in the recirculate position. Figured maybe the guy didn't connect things back properly. Pressed some of the other buttons to see if it was working to change where the air came out of (vents, feet, dash). That all works fine. But, here's the weird part. If I push the button to have the air be only on the feet or feet/dash or just dash, the flap moves to the outside air position. If I switch the air to come out of the vents, the flap moves back to the recirculate air position.

So, the recirculate motor is connected, getting power and working. Just nothing happening when I press the recirculate air button. It has to be connected in some way to the work that was done.

For the life of me I can't figure it out. It's connected. Is getting power. And works under certain conditions. There is no fuse that or relay that specifically controls the recirculate function.

2013 CR-V.

Thanks. Yeah, I've noticed that glitch. But the problem I'm having is if you just isolate the pushing of the recirculate button, nothing happens with the flap over the blower motor. It should move back and forth as you press or de-press the button.

Never heard of an AC system blowing up. Do you know exactly what went wrong with it?

Honda likes to control things instead of letting you control it. Try again once you reach set point inside the car.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Years ago, my 4runner's fan/blower (whatever you want to call it) broke would only blow air on high. No low, no medium etc... very annoying.
Just happened to over a relative's house where a mechanic was visiting. I just happened to bring it up and he knew right away what it was and fixed it right then and there. Interesting you said drop the glovebox. That's what he did. Behind it was a small box where a cable ran in one side and a cable ran out the other. He said that paticular connection is designed to fail for no other reason than to get you in a shop. It was no safeguard or safty feature or anything like that and made it a point to show me how toytoa does things. Anyway, cant remember if he soldered it or just bypassed it, just remember I never had that issue again.

Years ago, my 4runner's fan/blower (whatever you want to call it) broke would only blow air on high. No low, no medium etc... very annoying.
Just happened to over a relative's house where a mechanic was visiting. I just happened to bring it up and he knew right away what it was and fixed it right then and there. Interesting you said drop the glovebox. That's what he did. Behind it was a small box where a cable ran in one side and a cable ran out the other. He said that paticular connection is designed to fail for no other reason than to get you in a shop. It was no safeguard or safty feature or anything like that and made it a point to show me how toytoa does things. Anyway, cant remember if he soldered it or just bypassed it, just remember I never had that issue again.
Not familiar with Toyota problems, or your solution provided, but your symptom is familiar. On many cars, wide open air ONLY is usually associated with a resistor pack going bad. Different size resistors effect the speed of the blower. Wide open speed is straight wired with no resistor, so if any other speed is out check resistor pack. Usually in the air duct (for cooling) near glove compartment, near blower.

Try duct tape. You can fix anything with duct tape. If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're probably not using enough duct tape. LOL.

Reactions: 92Pony
Was out of town last week and car A/C blew up. Was way too hot to drive back like that so took it to a local shop where they replaced the compressor, condenser and expansion valve. All seemed hunky dory. Got home and noticed there didn't seem to be any difference when I pressed the "recirculate" button. Dropped the glove box and saw that the flap which controls whether you're using outside air or cabin air was in the recirculate air position. When I pressed the recirculate button, nothing happened. It stays in the recirculate position. Figured maybe the guy didn't connect things back properly. Pressed some of the other buttons to see if it was working to change where the air came out of (vents, feet, dash). That all works fine. But, here's the weird part. If I push the button to have the air be only on the feet or feet/dash or just dash, the flap moves to the outside air position. If I switch the air to come out of the vents, the flap moves back to the recirculate air position.

So, the recirculate motor is connected, getting power and working. Just nothing happening when I press the recirculate air button. It has to be connected in some way to the work that was done.

For the life of me I can't figure it out. It's connected. Is getting power. And works under certain conditions. There is no fuse that or relay that specifically controls the recirculate function.

2013 CR-V.
Sounds like possibly they crossed the connector for the mode door motor with the one for the recirc motor. Not sure if that's possible on that car but that's the only logical explanation I have for what you're describing.

2013 CR-V.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT