ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone hear Phil Steele on Charlotte radio this afternoon?

PC31

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2005
Well I am sure someone did but I mean anyone here.

He was talking about the NotCarolina teams of course but they asked him about South Carolina since we play UNotCarolina. He was pretty high on us. Said we could have kept our 11 win streak going but let four 4th quarter leads slip (we all know that). Said he expects our defense to be much improved and our QB/offensive play will determine if we are in the hunt for the SEC East this year.

That ain't so bad...................

He was talking about the NotCarolina teams of course but they asked him about South Carolina since we play UNotCarolina. He was pretty high on us. Said we could have kept our 11 win streak going but let four 4th quarter leads slip (we all know that). Said he expects our defense to be much improved and our QB/offensive play will determine if we are in the hunt for the SEC East this year.

Thanks for the first positive post on TIF this week. Just printed your post, PC31, and put it on my refrigerator.

This is too positive!!! Quick! Someone start bitching and moaning about recruiting!

LOL!! This site has recently become known as the B&M site as opposed to FGF. With all due respect to Beck and Shoe, etc. Just a humorous observation from my perspective.

A_N

Reactions: searooster
I guess someone has to turn this around into something else so I volunteer.
I hate beets and doo doo ice.

LOL!! This site has recently become known as the B&M site as opposed to FGF. With all due respect to Beck and Shoe, etc. Just a humorous observation from my perspective.

A_N
Not going to disagree. We're not going to get into censorship, but we will stop trolling. Once my business slows down for the year, I will be on here a lot more. Until then, someone else will have to hold down the fort.

Not going to disagree. We're not going to get into censorship, but we will stop trolling. Once my business slows down for the year, I will be on here a lot more. Until then, someone else will have to hold down the fort.
"hold down the fort"? We've been overrun.

I think we surprise folks this year...like the underdawg role...I'm guessing an 9-3 type season...

I just hope those 3 losses aren't to UNC, UGA or Clemson.....the three most hated teams for me...AND we play all 3 in the same year....

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
We could have the same record as last year and it wouldn't surprise me because of the unknowns. The only problem with last year is the fact we lost 4 games we shouldn't have. If the defense is much improved and I expect it to be, then it will probably boil down to the offense. We could be very good to average depending on how it all plays out. I tend to lean towards the "we will be much better" than not. If we get great QB play from someone then we could jump back to double digit wins. The defense is going to be better for sure.

The defense will be much improved. It's all about the O line and Connor Mitch/ Nunez. If both QB play and O line come through then USC could be a factor in the east. If not then hello Shreveport. Just that simple IMHO.

What would this site have looked like under Brad Scott. I was a member back then to something affiliated with GC, but now with new members and insights provided never available before. Could have been ugly.

Offensive line means everything this year. Last year was supposed to have been good, and we couldn't run the ball when we had to. Hope something changes up front.

We were a 9-3 team without the 4 quarter meltdowns, and those redzone turnovers against auburn hurt. We lost 4 of those 6 games by 7 points or less. A much improved defense with an equal or better offensive production means success for next years team. But we'll see.

We were a 9-3 team without the 4 quarter meltdowns, and those redzone turnovers against auburn hurt. We lost 4 of those 6 games by 7 points or less. A much improved defense with an equal or better offensive production means success for next years team. But we'll see.

South Carolina, had their best offense EVER, and you think Connor Mitch is going to replicate that? They were also saying last year's Offensive line was the best in the Spurrier Era, and you think this year's Offensive line will be better? Those things are possible, just not probable.

I'm interested to see the outcome, with so many question marks.

South Carolina, had their best offense EVER, and you think Connor Mitch is going to replicate that? They were also saying last year's Offensive line was the best in the Spurrier Era, and you think this year's Offensive line will be better? Those things are possible, just not probable.

Two messages since 2008...looks like someone got banned and resurrected. Be careful.....

Reactions: rpp2001

That is a misguided comment. South Carolina had their most PROLIFIC offense EVER, but not their best EVER. I'll take Connor Shaw throwing a TD on 4th and goal from the 15 yd line vs Mizzou on the road in 2013, over 400 yds passing in a losing effort vs Auburn, Tenn or Kentucky. I'll take Lattimore over Davis every day of the week. It's about players and teams winning games under pressure, not putting up big time yardage and points in losing efforts.

That is a misguided comment. South Carolina had their most PROLIFIC offense EVER, but not their best EVER. I'll take Connor Shaw throwing a TD on 4th and goal from the 15 yd line vs Mizzou on the road in 2013, over 400 yds passing in a losing effort vs Auburn, Tenn or Kentucky. I'll take Lattimore over Davis every day of the week. It's about players and teams winning games under pressure, not putting up big time yardage and points in losing efforts.

I would to if I had those types of backs on the roster. You said misguided, didn't the South Carolina offense gain more yardage last year, than any other year? Look South Carolina maybe a very good team this upcoming year, but they're going to have to answer a ton of questions. Anytime you're counting on first year players on the Defensive line, and at Quaterback, it usually spells trouble. Not to mention a Defensive Coordinator who has never turned around a defense, in year one, in the history of his career.

South Carolina could answer all the questions, win the East, and get into the playoffs for all anyone knows. Again, it's possible, just not probable.

Yep I'm with you pjones. It seemed like Thompson always had that critical turnover or could not get that critical first down when we needed it. Shaw or Lattimore more often than not came through keeping drives alive and not turning the ball over.

Reactions: 85alum#
Yep I'm with you pjones. It seemed like Thompson always had that critical turnover or could not get that critical first down when we needed it. Shaw or Lattimore more often than not came through keeping drives alive and not turning the ball over.

I agree with you, on all points. What I'm asking is, do you expect that same type of production from Connor Mitch and Brandon Wilds?

South Carolina, had their best offense EVER, and you think Connor Mitch is going to replicate that? .
Actually, that's not as far fetched as you think. As somebody already pointed out, last year's offense moved the ball and racked up passing yards because it HAD to. That was the only way were going to beat anybody. But that offense you say can't be topped was an offense that people questioned coming into the season. I think most people thought the 2014 offense would struggle to be as effective as the 2013 one - not unlike the questions people are asking about the 2015 offense. Our offense will score enough points this year - the question is how many points will our defense give up.

Actually, that's not as far fetched as you think. As somebody already pointed out, last year's offense moved the ball and racked up passing yards because it HAD to. That was the only way were going to beat anybody. But that offense you say can't be topped was an offense that people questioned coming into the season. I think most people thought the 2014 offense would struggle to be as effective as the 2013 one - not unlike the questions people are asking about the 2015 offense. Our offense will score enough points this year - the question is how many points will our defense give up.

So, you believe that Connor Mitch who has NEVER started a game ever in his college football career, is going to come in and produce close to Dylan Thompson the guy who is the single season leader in total yards? Last year South Carolina had an experienced Offensive line, they returned a Running back with 1200 yards under his belt, a quality Tightend. Adding the question marks on the Defensive line.

Those are a boat load of questions to be answered. It can be done, they just have to do it. I wouldn't count on it though.

So, you believe that Connor Mitch who has NEVER started a game ever in his college football career, is going to come in and produce close to Dylan Thompson the guy who is the single season leader in total yards? Last year South Carolina had an experienced Offensive line, they returned a Running back with 1200 yards under his belt, a quality Tightend. Adding the question marks on the Defensive line.

Those are a boat load of questions to be answered. It can be done, they just have to do it. I wouldn't count on it though.
You gotta be joking, right? There are quarterbacks every year that have much less experience than Mitch does that step in as a starter and perform quite well. Wanna hear the names of a couple of other guys with either the same 4 star rating as Mitch or even a lower 3 star that were all in his class? Jeremy Johnson (Aub), Jared Goff (Cal), Tyler Bruggman (Wash St), Josh Dobbs (UT), Davis Webb (TxTch), Sefo Liufu (Col), & John O'Korn (Hou).

Almost all of those guys have already been a major contributor or are expected to be this year. Some were even arguably better than Dylan Thompson last year. So why are you so insistent that Mitch, who is in his 3rd year (also an early graduate) can't adequately fill Thompson's shoes?

Also, a boatload of questions? Our OL has a few legit pro prospects along with some serviceable talent that has some experience. Is it awesome, no, but I'd hardly label it a situation like Clemson is in. Our tailbacks are 3rd and 4th year guys who have played really well when given a chance and in my opinion are at worst and even replacement for the oft injured Davis. At TE, Adams has been a significant contributor for the past two seasons and had more yards receiving on one less catch than Rory last year. So I'm not sure where you come up with 'boatloads' of questions....you must be a Clemson fan.

You gotta be joking, right? There are quarterbacks every year that have much less experience than Mitch does that step in as a starter and perform quite well. Wanna hear the names of a couple of other guys with either the same 4 star rating as Mitch or even a lower 3 star that were all in his class? Jeremy Johnson (Aub), Jared Goff (Cal), Tyler Bruggman (Wash St), Josh Dobbs (UT), Davis Webb (TxTch), Sefo Liufu (Col), & John O'Korn (Hou).

Almost all of those guys have already been a major contributor or are expected to be this year. Some were even arguably better than Dylan Thompson last year. So why are you so insistent that Mitch, who is in his 3rd year (also an early graduate) can't adequately fill Thompson's shoes?

Also, a boatload of questions? Our OL has a few legit pro prospects along with some serviceable talent that has some experience. Is it awesome, no, but I'd hardly label it a situation like Clemson is in. Our tailbacks are 3rd and 4th year guys who have played really well when given a chance and in my opinion are at worst and even replacement for the oft injured Davis. At TE, Adams has been a significant contributor for the past two seasons and had more yards receiving on one less catch than Rory last year. So I'm not sure where you come up with 'boatloads' of questions....you must be a Clemson fan.

South Carolina has regressed at QB, OL, RB. You're expecting a new DC who has NEVER turned around a defense in year one, ever in his career. You're expecting a whole new defensive line to come in and be world beaters.

I haven't been disrespectful, these things can happen. There are question marks all over the field, at very important positions. It's up to the team to prove the prognosticators wrong.

I still will never understand how a black person could go to Clemson, given the founder of the school. I'd use that legacy against them.

Notice all the QB'S you named but one is from the SEC. First year players rarely get it done. So to answer your question, no I'm not joking.

I feel that if we can have what they might call a "serviceable" quarterback and steady D we will be OK. We have some very good skill guys on offense. :)

Remember, whatever Phi Steele says he is trying to sell magazines and web subscriptions. So what he said was true. We could have had 11 wins. What he didn't say was that with the D we had, it was nearly impossible. I'll keep my 7 bucks for the Phil Steele mag. Not falling for the propaganda.

South Carolina has regressed at QB, OL, RB. You're expecting a new DC who has NEVER turned around a defense in year one, ever in his career. You're expecting a whole new defensive line to come in and be world beaters.

I haven't been disrespectful, these things can happen. There are question marks all over the field, at very important positions. It's up to the team to prove the prognosticators wrong.

I still will never understand how a black person could go to Clemson, given the founder of the school. I'd use that legacy against them.

Notice all the QB'S you named but one is from the SEC. First year players rarely get it done. So to answer your question, no I'm not joking.
Well there are actually two qbs I listed there that play in the sec and we're only talking about Mitch's class, so I would consider that to be a fairly good sign that a third year qb that was rated highly can realistically be expected to play well, even in the SEC.

As far as majorly regressing across the board on offense, we just flat out disagree. I find it funny that you can be so definitive and unyielding in your opinion about expected regression without seemingly knowing much about the team itself. But that's fine.

On defense, no one is expecting Hoke to work miracles but our defense played well at times last year and just needs to be consistent throughout a game, not to mention being properly prepared with a sound gameplan.

We return virtually everyone from last season so this is not a whole new defensive line, its a defensive line that has been upgraded and last years starters are backups.

LBs and DBs return virtually in tact as well.

Again, I just don't think you know much about our team.

Well there are actually two qbs I listed there that play in the sec and we're only talking about Mitch's class, so I would consider that to be a fairly good sign that a third year qb that was rated highly can realistically be expected to play well, even in the SEC.

As far as majorly regressing across the board on offense, we just flat out disagree. I find it funny that you can be so definitive and unyielding in your opinion about expected regression without seemingly knowing much about the team itself. But that's fine.

On defense, no one is expecting Hoke to work miracles but our defense played well at times last year and just needs to be consistent throughout a game, not to mention being properly prepared with a sound gameplan.

We return virtually everyone from last season so this is not a whole new defensive line, its a defensive line that has been upgraded and last years starters are backups.

LBs and DBs return virtually in tact as well.

Again, I just don't think you know much about our team.

I happen to know a great deal about South Carolina. One of my best friends since Rosewood Elementary played QB there, and my little brother played DB there. I'm also good friends with Brandon/Bralon J. Flowers, and Anton Gunn. I know a lot more than you think. Again, you guys lost a ton on offense, you're expecting a QB who's only thrown six passes his whole career, to come in and light up the world. I'll ask you this. What QB in Steve Spurrier's entire history of coaching had come in and played well off the bat? I see a ton of talk on the board about the Watson kid being injury prone, but Gamecock fans ignore Brandon Wilds injury history. The Offensive line has a ton of question marks, with their injury history as well.

Let me ask you this. North Carolina hired Gene Chizik, he's a better Defensive Coordinator than Hoke, do you think they're going to play better? They return a ton of offensive and defensive players.

I'm going out on a limb that you'd say no.
I didn't see Jeremy Johnson.

Last edited:

You mean the same Phil Steele who doesn't even have us ranked in his Top 50? Dude talks out of both sides of his mouth more than a damn politician.

I happen to know a great deal about South Carolina. One of my best friends since Rosewood Elementary played QB there, and my little brother played DB there. I'm also good friends with Brandon/Bralon J. Flowers, and Anton Gunn. I know a lot more than you think. Again, you guys lost a ton on offense, you're expecting a QB who's only thrown six passes his whole career, to come in and light up the world. I'll ask you this. What QB in Steve Spurrier's entire history of coaching had come in and played well off the bat? I see a ton of talk on the board about the Watson kid being injury prone, but Gamecock fans ignore Brandon Wilds injury history. The Offensive line has a ton of question marks, with their injury history as well.

Let me ask you this. North Carolina hired Gene Chizik, he's a better Defensive Coordinator than Hoke, do you think they're going to play better? They return a ton of offensive and defensive players.

I'm going out on a limb that you'd say no.
I didn't see Jeremy Johnson.

LOL at claiming to know something about THIS years team by talking guys who played 15/20 years ago.

You continue to make broad generalizations about our team with virtually no substance at all.

What qb came in an played well off the bat at South Carolina, well none other than Dylan Thompson in 2012 as a sophomore to boot. He threw a total of 4 passes in 2011 and came in the second game of the season and threw for 330 yards and 3 touchdowns against east carolina. That same year he lit up Clemson at Clemson and almost single handedly beat Michigan in the bowl game. So there ya go.

I'll say it again, the offensive line might be in slightly worse shape than it was last year but its not the landslide drop off that you make it out to be. Injuries....Shell, yes, that is up in the air a little but all reports that he's recovered and ready to play. Matulis, sure, thats 50/50 at best but you cant count that as a loss from last year because he didnt even play. What about all the rest of the guys who played last year, we've been consistently building depth and this years team is likely more experienced overall than last years team with two long time starters anchoring the line.

Brandon Wilds, injury prone? If youre referring to the ankle injury 2 years ago, i agree. If youre referring to last year where he only missed the highly competitive Furman game, then no. You also are completely glossing over a highly coveted, experienced 4 star backup who has looked the part.

I'm sorry that you're wrong about all the huge losses that you want us to have. The only one I can slightly give you is QB, but at this point Mitch is just as likely to be a decent qb as he is a bad one, and neither one of us knows that answer.

As far as the defense goes, I dont know enough about UNC to comment on whether they return good players or not, but if they do return everyone, then yes, I expect them to be better. Better coaching plus a years experience playing together logically equals improvement. This is exactly what I said about SC and I stand by it. On defense, no one is expecting Hoke to work miracles but our defense played well at times last year and just needs to be consistent throughout a game, not to mention being properly prepared with a sound gameplan.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Very, very few teams have 10/11 win seasons for 4 or 5 years in a row. There is going to be a drop off at some point, which is normal. Still not sure why everybody is so negative around here. Probably just all the Tigger fans on the board.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Oh boy, where to start.

Defensive line - our weakest unit should be vastly improved. Qua Lewis is a proven DE at the JC level who many believe may only play one year here....he's that good. Combine him with multiple high 4-stars and the difference will be night and day.

Linebacker - this unit has talent and experience but underachieved last year. Improvements on Dline should help this talented group.

Secondary - loaded with talent and now with experience. Hoke's specialty is the secondary, so I would expect our secondary to lock down opposing team's passing game.

Oline - we lose AJ Cann which hurts, but we are fortunate to have depth here. I'd expect a slight drop-off, but it's possible we can reload. It's not like the impact of losing clowney on the dline.

Running Back - I believe we will be just as good here. Mike Davis played hurt most of last year, so it's not unreasonable to believe that Wilds and Williams will perform at least well as last year's combo of Davis and Wilds. Wilds is more than capable and I personally believe Williams can be a superstar.

Wide Receiver - everyone likes to say we have only one returning receiver. Good thing that one returning receiver is likely an All-American. Combine Cooper with the new guys who are stepping up like Deebo Samuels, Shaq Davidson and Terry Googer....this will be a position of strength.

QB - this is really the only big question mark I have, and it's only because we haven't seen much of Mitch. Mitch was highly recruited and probably fits the mold of a Spurrier QB better than any we have had. He's also in his third year in the program. So while there are unknowns at the QB, I would venture to say that it is more likely than not that Mitch will be a good QB for us. Will he be as good as Thompson last year? It's possible, but I believe with a good turnaround on defense he may not have to be.

In about 3 months from now most of these questions will be answered. In the meantime I am hopeful for a good year. It may be a stretch to expect 10+ wins, but I believe that 8-9 is very possible.

Look what Aaron Murray did at Georgia. Never played a down before he started and let Georgia to two East titles.

Look what Aaron Murray did at Georgia. Never played a down before he started and let Georgia to two East titles.

Exactly, I don't understand the overly skeptical and incredulous stance on Mitch. There are new qb's every year who play well in the sec but I'm not trying to get into the history of the 3rd year new starter in the SEC discussion. Only making a point that there are already 2 other guys in Mitch's class who were similarly ranked that people have a lot of confidence in. One has played minimally and the other a bit more due to injuries to guys in front of them. Fortunately DT stayed healthy but nonetheless Mitch has been around the system a while and was getting lots of game prep last year as the #2. I expect him to be a solid/good qb this year with good reason.

Reactions: Tigerof66
LOL at claiming to know something about THIS years team by talking guys who played 15/20 years ago.

You continue to make broad generalizations about our team with virtually no substance at all.

What qb came in an played well off the bat at South Carolina, well none other than Dylan Thompson in 2012 as a sophomore to boot. He threw a total of 4 passes in 2011 and came in the second game of the season and threw for 330 yards and 3 touchdowns against east carolina. That same year he lit up Clemson at Clemson and almost single handedly beat Michigan in the bowl game. So there ya go.

I'll say it again, the offensive line might be in slightly worse shape than it was last year but its not the landslide drop off that you make it out to be. Injuries....Shell, yes, that is up in the air a little but all reports that he's recovered and ready to play. Matulis, sure, thats 50/50 at best but you cant count that as a loss from last year because he didnt even play. What about all the rest of the guys who played last year, we've been consistently building depth and this years team is likely more experienced overall than last years team with two long time starters anchoring the line.

Brandon Wilds, injury prone? If youre referring to the ankle injury 2 years ago, i agree. If youre referring to last year where he only missed the highly competitive Furman game, then no. You also are completely glossing over a highly coveted, experienced 4 star backup who has looked the part.

I'm sorry that you're wrong about all the huge losses that you want us to have. The only one I can slightly give you is QB, but at this point Mitch is just as likely to be a decent qb as he is a bad one, and neither one of us knows that answer.

As far as the defense goes, I dont know enough about UNC to comment on whether they return good players or not, but if they do return everyone, then yes, I expect them to be better. Better coaching plus a years experience playing together logically equals improvement. This is exactly what I said about SC and I stand by it. On defense, no one is expecting Hoke to work miracles but our defense played well at times last year and just needs to be consistent throughout a game, not to mention being properly prepared with a sound gameplan.

I didn't say anything about huge losses, I said regressed. Do you think Connor Mitch will be as good or better than Dylan Thompson? Remember, he was the single season leader in total offense in South Carolina history (2014) I'd expect you to say no.

Brandon Wilds, is not as good as Mike Davis. I'd expect you to say that the running back position has taken a step back. If I'm not mistaken, Brandon Wilds has had some type of injury every year he's been at South Carolina.

Cooper is a monster, nothing more to be said. Someone else will have to step up, but Cooper is bona-fide.

You said yourself, the offensive line has taken a step back. No matter if it's small or large any step back is regression.

The defense as a whole will be better do to the simple fact that it was beyond awful. The question is how much better will they be? I wouldn't expect JUCO and freshman player's to light up the world, on the first day.

I wouldn't expect a Defensive Coordinator, who hasn't coached in college for a decade to light up the world either. In fact if he didn't light up the world with Florida talent, I wouldn't expect it at all with South Carolina talent, that's not Jadeavan Clowney.

And I bought my friends up, because they have a pulse on the program, you know inside information, like knowing Lawing was leaving early in the year, and know Ward wasn't going anywhere last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT