ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone interested in talking about Federer?

If the GOAT has to be equally adept on grass as well as clay, then the only choice is Bjorn Borg, who won both the French Open and Wimbledon in 3 consecutive years and totaled 6 French and 5 Wimbledons. Retired from last major at age 25, only played Australian once because he didn't care about the travel, and wasn't concerned about counting Grand Slam titles.
Thank you for your input Bjorn. I sure did enjoy your baby sling when my kids were little.

Replay killed all that fun.

I would have liked to see Mc play with an oversized racket. Like golf, tennis should go to "throwback" technology once in a while.

I still have my persimmon wooden drivers. Haven't hit them in like 25+years but they were part of my starter set.

I'm projecting what might have happened according to the arc he was on, but I'm not detracting from what Jack did. And Jack cut way back on events, even while he was still in his 30s. And Jack took care of his family and devoted lots of time to them. He wasn't obsessed with golf. I think you have to look at everything.
When Tiger wins the Masters with his son (or daughter) caddying for him, I'll give him a shot at best ever.

I still have my persimmon wooden drivers. Haven't hit them in like 25+years but they were part of my starter set.
I'm sitting on some things that might be worth something someday. Nicklaus and Hogan persimmon woods. Original Taylor Made Tour Burner driver and 13 degree spoon. Original Ping Eye 2. I doubt I could break 90 with those clubs now.

It would also be difficult to string a racket to the tensions they do today with an old woody.

When Tiger wins the Masters with his son (or daughter) caddying for him, I'll give him a shot at best ever.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LEGEND

1986, was sweet, I bought the VHS tape before the DVD was made, then when the DVD was made I bought that. Gave them both to my Uncle (aka adopted dad) for fathers day. We watch nearly every major together, unless we have tickets.

Maybe off the Tee, I'll take Jack in the other areas.
I actually think Jack was better off the tee. More consistent and plenty long. He had fewer bad misses. Tiger has or had the better short game - I'm talking all components. Both were great clutch putters, but Tiger was much more accomplished with the lob and flop shots, sand play, and pitching the ball -wedge play. Jack was so outdone with his wedge play that, relatively late in his career, he went to old buddy Phil Rogers to learn Rogers' "Figure-8" pitching technique, which helped Jack win his final three majors.

I actually think Jack was better off the tee. More consistent and plenty long. He had fewer bad misses. Tiger has or had the better short game - I'm talking all components. Both were great clutch putters, but Tiger was much more accomplished with the lob and flop shots, sand play, and pitching the ball -wedge play. Jack was so outdone with his wedge play that, relatively late in his career, he went to old buddy Phil Rogers to learn Rogers' "Figure-8" pitching technique, which helped Jack win his final three majors.

I don't have as many memories of jack from the early years, but i don't seem to recall him in bunkers too often. I do remember him making a move in 98

His son was a pretty decent player in his own right. I think he played college golf someplace, but I can't remember where. Jackie is a golf course designer now, like his dad..

ME TOO, needed to make one of about 3 putt opportunities inside of 6 feet. I am not trashing Tom, but imagine the pressure & magnitude at that moment & not having been in that spot in a while.
Would have been one of the greatest wins in sports history. Up there wth the miracle in 1980.

The technology in the short game (and other areas) changed dramatically in the 20 years between their "runs". So it's hard to compare them stroke for stroke. In terms of dominance, I would say Tiger has the edge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LEGEND

1986, was sweet, I bought the VHS tape before the DVD was made, then when the DVD was made I bought that. Gave them both to my Uncle (aka adopted dad) for fathers day. We watch nearly every major together, unless we have tickets.
Got his autograph that year at the Wednesday practice round - back when you could get autographs during practice rounds. I remember thinking how old 46 was. Yeah...

Hard to be a GOAT if you lose interest at a young age.

Just pointing out that no one has come close to equaling his dominance on both grass and clay. Is the GOAT considered because of longevity, or brilliance within a shorter, but dominating period? Sandy Koufax retired at age 29 or 30, only had 6 or 7 dominant years, yet Casey Stengal (in MLB baseball from 1912-1965) named him the GOAT over Johnson, Feller, and every other pitcher he'd seen.

Reactions: viennacocks
Federer into the finals! Going for #20. Unless you have a man-crush on Nadal, you have to believe Federer is the GOAT!

Federer into the finals! Going for #20. Unless you have a man-crush on Nadal, you have to believe Federer is the GOAT!
No man crush here like you have on Federer. Federer is great-probably is the greatest. Nadal still owns the GOAT then. I just find Federer extremely arrogant and Nadal more classy. Roger probably has more God-given talent but Nadal has more heart. That's what I like about his game.

Last edited:
No man crush here like you have on Federer. Federer is great-probably is the greatest. Nadal still owns the GOAT then. I just find Federer extremely arrogant and Nadal more classy. Roger probably has more God-given talent but Nadal has more heart. That's what I like about his game.
Federer is probably the greatest but Nadal is the GOAT? Makes a lot of sense! Got it.

What's their record in slams head to head? Also not making excuses but Fed only took the lead in the last few years when Nadal has battled major injuries. Fed has had maybe one sidelining injury in his career and that was last year.
Federer plays smarter and therefore isn't always injured. He used to not be able to handle high ball to backhand from Nadal but now has mastered that. Being five years older and still being able to beat Nadal last year in Australia in five sets is awesome.
Nadal is great, Federer is the greatest.

Federer is probably the greatest but Nadal is the GOAT? Makes a lot of sense! Got it.
Nadal owns the GOAT (eg. Federer). You're the one that keeps reiterating that Fed is the GOAT but can't comprehend it when I state it. I never said Nadal was the GOAT in one of my posts so please learn reading comprehension. I just think Nadal's record against Fed and Fed not being dominant on all surfaces is an argument to him being GOAT. He is a legendary player. I never disputed that.

Federer plays smarter and therefore isn't always injured. He used to not be able to handle high ball to backhand from Nadal but now has mastered that. Being five years older and still being able to beat Nadal last year in Australia in five sets is awesome.
Nadal is great, Federer is the greatest.
He has better footwork and is a smoother player than Nadal. No argument. Nadal pounds his knees too much with his overagressive style (recently has had to become more of a baseline player) and it's caught up with him.

Nadal owns the GOAT (eg. Federer). You're the one that keeps reiterating that Fed is the GOAT but can't comprehend it when I state it. I never said Nadal was the GOAT in one of my posts so please learn reading comprehension. I just think Nadal's record against Fed and Fed not being dominant on all surfaces is an argument to him being GOAT. He is a legendary player. I never disputed that.
Likely going to have 20 slams. Your boy-toy will never reach this number.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT