ADVERTISEMENT

Are we that broke???

uscfutbol

Nov 28, 2012
Another weeknight MBB game at 9pm (Tuesday/Tenn). I understand the TV stuff, but really. Just another game my kids and I will not be able to attend

Re: Isn't the time dictated by the SEC rather than the school?******

In this case it's dictated by TV. But yes, usually the final game times are dictated by the SEC for conference games.
This post was edited on 1/19 10:19 AM by USCBatgirl21

Think of this - Tennessee game is at 9 - UK game is at Noon..big difference , then again there will be those who will complain about having to get up early on a Saturday morning to make it for a noon game.

Cant win - you want this team on TV - take what the SEC gives you...personally I like the noon start.

Originally posted by uscfutbol:
Another weeknight MBB game at 9pm (Tuesday/Tenn). I understand the TV stuff, but really. Just another game my kids and I will not be able to attend
It's the way of the world. In sports, you play when TV tells you to. SEC has contracts, and yes, if we don't have SEC TV money, we might as well be broke. Sure, we have plenty of money, but if USC were to not be in the SEC, that would dry up quick.

You just have to take the bad with the good.

same here. I have to get up at 5 and cannot do a late game

Originally posted by uscbeckham:
It's the way of the world. In sports, you play when TV tells you to. SEC has contracts, and yes, if we don't have SEC TV money, we might as well be broke. Sure, we have plenty of money, but if USC were to not be in the SEC, that would dry up quick.

You just have to take the bad with the good.
this must be how the ACC feels during football season, with most of their games being started at at 12:20

I bought season tickets this year and really enjoy going. That being said, I will not buy them again. I have to be up at 5:30. 9:00 games get me home after midnight. I don't see buying tickets and not being able to use them. The university and Ray Tanner are clearly not looking out for the casual fan.

Originally posted by Carolina Cat:
Think of this - Tennessee game is at 9 - UK game is at Noon..big difference , then again there will be those who will complain about having to get up early on a Saturday morning to make it for a noon game.

Cant win - you want this team on TV - take what the SEC gives you...personally I like the noon start.
I prefer the Tuesday night game at 9 to the Saturday game at noon. I hate getting up early on weekends.

It's not just people who sleep late. Saturday is the only day most people have to get things done they need to do in their personal time. A noon game consumes the entire day. Depending on how far you have to drive you have to start getting ready for the game by about 10 or 10:30. By the time the game is over it is getting close to dark. It ruins the whole day as far as doing anything else.

In all fairness, there should be a limit to the # of these. I have

season tickets but just can't make a 9 PM game start with having to get up for work the next day.

GOCOCKS! BEATFLA! BEATUT!

There is a fairly simple solution when scheduling SEC weeknight games for TV. At least for those to be broadcast on the SEC network.

Whenever possible:

Games getting the 7 pm eastern TV slot are played at schools in the Eastern time zone.

Games slotted for the 9 pm Eastern TV slot are played at schools in the Central time zone. Which would be an 8 pm Central, tip off time.

Doing that would have the effect of only affecting or varying the "normal" tip off times by a maximum of one hour. And an 8 o'clock tip off time is not so late on a week night, to negatively affect those attending that particular game.

The biggest obstacle to doing this, obviously, is when you have two really good games that you (the networks) want to broadcast and they're both in the Eastern time zone. Somebody is going to get that 9 pm tip off time.

This post was edited on 1/19 5:35 PM by TriumphCock

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT