ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer doesn’t have the qualifications...

Goose cock

May 12, 2019
...not every position coach is Dabo. Other than he coached here and his last name, how is he qualified? no other school is looking to hire him. Might as well interview Jeep Hunter or Jay Graham for head coach too. They have never been coordinators either. Beamer would be a very USC move. He needs to get a coordinator job first or head coach at a lower level. He isn’t in demand anywhere else. He may be awesome but we can’t step off the ledge into such an unknown....can we? Monken coming in running an archaic offense and trying to recruit sec level players would be worse, i admit.

Beamer was on staff at our high point. Has a lot of support from former players and can maybe get those same players to put financial commitment behind the support.

I’m not saying he’s a good or bad option, in fact at first I was lower on the hire than I am now. To be fair most great coaches start off cutting their teeth at lower positions and levels. The man has been part of a winning staff here and at Oklahoma, Georgia and Va Tech. It is easy to say let him be a coordinator first but once those coordinators are highly sought after it becomes extremely difficult to attract them here when other coaching vacancies occur and they want the same coach (Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, etc....)

...not every position coach is Dabo. Other than he coached here and his last name, how is he qualified? no other school is looking to hire him. Might as well interview Jeep Hunter or Jay Graham for head coach too. They have never been coordinators either. Beamer would be a very USC move. He needs to get a coordinator job first or head coach at a lower level. He isn’t in demand anywhere else. He may be awesome but we can’t step off the ledge into such an unknown....can we? Monken coming in running an archaic offense and trying to recruit sec level players would be worse, i admit.
Well Muschamp was touted as one of the best defensive coordinators in America when he was at Auburn, LSU, and Texas, but he failed miserably as a coach. We are a joke at this point and the only thing that will turn around this program is recruiting and Urban Meyer isn't an option. I like a guy wr can hire at a lower salary, who can then go spend above market for coordinators.

I am not excited about Billy Napier as an option. I am not over the moon happy that Beamer is an option, but the headcoach at Louisville just trolled us, so let's just take a shot in the dark.

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock
The sad thing is Ole Miss took another shot and it will probably pay off...meanwhile it appears we are going to go the "safe" route and screw this up again. Only one school could go from SOS to Muskrat to Beamer...us. What a joke.

The sad thing people are actually doing the exact same thing they did with Muskrat. "Well, he might not be that bad. Might the shot in the arm we need. Well, at least he doesn't cheat as bad as the others." How freaking weak minded can you be?

Because "the fan" home runs are literally, *literally* lining up and blowing up Tanners voicemail trying to get in here.

Maybe we should hire Finebaum or an ESPN talking head.

Completely unqualified. Would be a joke of a hire. Never been a head coach, never been a coordinator. What we get by allowing Tanner to make another pitiful hire. Holbrook, Muschamp, Kingston...now Beamer. Tanner needs to be forced into retirement now. Major men's sports continue to regress on his watch and the football program is being set back probably a decade because of this nonsense. We paid Muschamp $30 mill (including buyout which we still owe) over 5 years to be in the same spot we were in 2015. All thanks to Ray. He shouldn't be hiring the next coach. He should be retiring.

Last edited:
Wes Hanna posted this on his Facebook page this morning. I find it compelling.
The 'never been a coordinator argument'
From JC Shurburtt:
This is not to downplay those that are against a potential Shane Beamer hire because he has no head coaching experience. That's obviously something that many value in a coaching hire.
But this "never been a coordinator thing" is not as big of a deal as you would think. For the purposes of this, I am talking offensive/defensive coordinator because obviously Beamer has been a recruiting coordinator and a special teams coordinator at multiple stops, along with assistant head coach.
Urban Meyer was never a coordinator. He was the Notre Dame wide receivers coach before he took the Bowling Green job.
Ed Orgeron has never been a coordinator.
Dabo Swinney has never been a coordinator.
Pat Fitzgerald has never been a coordinator.
Mack Brown has been a coordinator one year- at Oklahoma in the 1980s and Switzer was running things- and he was a head coach before he was that coordinator for one year.
Jim Harbaugh has never been a coordinator.
Joe Morrison was never a coordinator.
PJ Fleck has never been a coordinator
Sam Pittman has never been a coordinator
Lou Holtz never was a coordinator
Mario Cristobal has never been a coordinator
Kirk Ferentz has never been a coordinator at the college level
Luke Fickell has only been a co-coordinator
Joe Paterno was never a coordinator
There are more, but I will stop there.
Now, all of these guys got their first head coaching jobs in different manners, different than Beamer to South Carolina would be for sure. That said, not being a coordinator before you are a head coach does not eliminate you from being good in the big chair. There are plenty of examples of this. Coordinator and head coach are two different gigs, especially these days dealing with this generation and in today's college football climate.
Just food for thought. I am not comparing Beamer's plight to any of these guys so don't come back with but this guy was different or that guy was because I freely admit that. But the singular "never been an offensive or defensive coordinator" argument doesn't hold as much water as you think.
2You and Mark Patton
5 Comments
Seen by 6

Comment

Reactions: Areukidding1
If we hire Beamer it will be based on the belief that he will hire the best coordinators and position coaches. However, he won't be bringing the OU staff with him. That means multiple hires of guys he currently does not work with will be required to make it work. That seems risky to me.

If we hire Beamer it will be based on the belief that he will hire the best coordinators and position coaches. However, he won't be bringing the OU staff with him. That means multiple hires of guys he currently does not work with will be required to make it work. That seems risky to me.
Get ready to run some risk, then. It's leaning that way.

Ridiculous post by Shurbutt.

Holtz was HC at William and Mary before NCSU.
Morrison was HC at New Mexico before SC
Meyer was head coach at Bowling Green and Utah before Florida
Fickell was interim HC at Ohio State AND co-defensive coordinator.

I could go on, but I will stop there. Beamer is in his early 40s. Those guys were head coaches in their 30s.

Let Beamer cut his teeth at ULL or some other G5 school.

Ridiculous post by Shurbutt.

Holtz was HC at William and Mary before NCSU.
Morrison was HC at New Mexico before SC
Meyer was head coach at Bowling Green and Utah before Florida
Fickell was interim HC at Ohio State AND co-defensive coordinator.

I could go on, but I will stop there. Beamer is in his early 40s. Those guys were head coaches in their 30s.

Let Beamer cut his teeth at ULL or some other G5 school.
Precisely. He should go coach at a smaller school first to prove himself.

Because "the fan" home runs are literally, *literally* lining up and blowing up Tanners voicemail trying to get in here.

Maybe we should hire Finebaum or an ESPN talking head.

huh? Fickell (did he get a call?), Neal brown?, Beamer May be great Napier and Chadwell should be well ahead in the pecking order. Not sure i understand what you are saying.

I think the reason they are going this way is based on the belief that they can save money. Beamer is going to keep Bobo and TRob - and probably several others from the current staff.

When you make a coaching change, and there is an obvious culture problem with the former HC, it needs to be a complete change.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
I think the reason they are going this way is based on the belief that they can save money. Beamer is going to keep Bobo and TRob - and probably several others from the current staff.

When you make a coaching change, and there is an obvious culture problem with the former HC, it needs to be a complete change.

they wouldn’t keep any of the old staff would they? I’d like to hang on to Bentley but that’s it.

One can see what is going on here. Its a mistake, but I think one can see the direction. Anybody USC has supposedly considered that has some legitimate D1 experience, Freeze, Sark, Satterfield, aren't showing any interest in USC as they wait on better opportunities. So that leaves them with Napier, Chadwell, and Beamer. If it goes to Beamer, which I don't care for them to do, they are desperately trying to catch lightening in a bottle and find the USC version of Dabo. But there is a difference. Dabo had over a half of a season as a trial period to prove he could be a head coach. That luxury doesn't currently exist for Beamer. And the thought of keeping Bobo and T-Rob is just folly. Need a clean sweep of coordinators to give the program a clean start. Not against keeping a couple of the position coaches that are decent recruiters with contacts in the region.

they wouldn’t keep any of the old staff would they? I’d like to hang on to Bentley but that’s it.
It would not surprise me if they kept most everyone. TRob can probably be a very good DC on his own. I'd like to keep Des Kitchings because of his work with Harris and Fenwick. Offensive line and defensive line coaches are underwhelming, but I think both have multi-year contracts.

We will just have to see.

One can see what is going on here. Its a mistake, but I think one can see the direction. Anybody USC has supposedly considered that has some legitimate D1 experience, Freeze, Sark, Satterfield, aren't showing any interest in USC as they wait on better opportunities. So that leaves them with Napier, Chadwell, and Beamer. If it goes to Beamer, which I don't care for them to do, they are desperately trying to catch lightening in a bottle and find the USC version of Dabo. But there is a difference. Dabo had over a half of a season as a trial period to prove he could be a head coach. That luxury doesn't currently exist for Beamer. And the thought of keeping Bobo and T-Rob is just folly. Need a clean sweep of coordinators to give the program a clean start. Not against keeping a couple of the position coaches that are decent recruiters with contacts in the region.
Exactly. All of the guys JC Shurbutt mentions as being like "Beamer" with no coordinator experience had totally different career paths. In Dabo and Luke Fickell's case both were interims first.

This is the type of screw up I could see happening. "Beamer is the CEO type, he can save money to spend on the best coordinators and just recruit.....like Dabo." And then they rehire the same failed coordinators of Muschamps.

This is the type of screw up I could see happening. "Beamer is the CEO type, he can save money to spend on the best coordinators and just recruit.....like Dabo." And then they rehire the same failed coordinators of Muschamps.
The chances that would work are small and the chance it is a colossal mistake which could set the University back another 5 years is significant.

It would not surprise me if they kept most everyone. TRob can probably be a very good DC on his own. I'd like to keep Des Kitchings because of his work with Harris and Fenwick. Offensive line and defensive line coaches are underwhelming, but I think both have multi-year contracts.

We will just have to see.
I must admit that I have been unimpressed with Robinson overall, the first game after Muschamp was fired AND several defensive starters chose not to be with the team anymore was surprisingly respectable on defense. I'll be curious to see how the last two games go. If ever there were a chance to get embarrassed again, it would be this weekend.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
A lot of arguments about our HC search always start with a faulty premise, that we can go out and hire anybody we want. We're a program with zero tradition and a history of being a HC graveyard. Lightning struck the same spot twice when we hired Holtz and SOS (and even their tenures ended in disaster), so I think people have begun to believe we can just go out and hire anybody we want. That's just not reality.

Reactions: kidrobinski

Exactly! Exactly! If they think that Beamer is a Dabo they are sadly mistaken. As you say, what are his credentials?

If this happens this is typical of a Ray decision. How we screw up? Even Muschsmp is better. We go from bad to worse.

With 2 wins and a divided fan base, that complains no matter what, why would any coach want to come here? Just askn for some. We are not an Alabama that can hire anybody they want.

The sad thing is Ole Miss took another shot and it will probably pay off...meanwhile it appears we are going to go the "safe" route and screw this up again. Only one school could go from SOS to Muskrat to Beamer...us. What a joke.

The sad thing people are actually doing the exact same thing they did with Muskrat. "Well, he might not be that bad. Might the shot in the arm we need. Well, at least he doesn't cheat as bad as the others." How freaking weak minded can you be?
Lane failed to win at USC how is he a more sure fire success than Muschamp? He is not. He is hated basically everywhere he has been and an absolute embarrassment. They will have fleeting offensive success perhaps as he is a good play caller, but he is not going to win the SEC there I would bet, he is not going to overtake Bama, and he has taken over a bowl team and will have a losing record this year. I see nothing to indicate he will win big at Ole Miss. It will likely pay off much like their Freeze hire did- with mediocre success ending in embarrassment and shame.

Lane failed to win at USC how is he a more sure fire success than Muschamp? He is not. He is hated basically everywhere he has been and an absolute embarrassment.

USC had huge scholarship reductions. I agree he's hated, but at Tenn it was for leaving them.

He can coach. He wont win that division with Bama there, but he'll do much better than Muschamp ever would. Imho

So was Whammy!!!

And as for getting the money from the players who recommended him, better collect that money ahead of time and put it in escrow. You're going to need it.

Hard to tell. There’s no evidence that it will work out or not. It’s a roll of the dice, but no hire is ever a slam dunk. Most people would have said Jim Harbaugh was a great hire for Michigan and that didn’t work out. No one thought Dumbo was a good hire and it’s worked out for the Taters.

Reactions: Zann77
USC had huge scholarship reductions. I agree he's hated, but at Tenn it was for leaving them.

He can coach. He wont win that division with Bama there, but he'll do much better than Muschamp ever would. Imho
As much as I hate lane I would never imply Muschamp is better than him.

If that's the case, this is a Caslen decision. Beamer meets few of the qualifications that Tanner has repeatedly stated that he looks for in a HC.....one big one being prior HC experience. So Beamer would be way out of his comfort zone. Also, Tanner had already stated that the buyouts would not be a factor. Sounds as though he got orders otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseCock

Dude I said over and over last year Kiffin would have been a home run hire here . He’s just dirty enough win here and go head to head with Dabo and Kirby . We waited a year to late .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hard to tell. There’s no evidence that it will work out or not. It’s a roll of the dice, but no hire is ever a slam dunk. Most people would have said Jim Harbaugh was a great hire for Michigan and that didn’t work out. No one thought Dumbo was a good hire and it’s worked out for the Taters.
Agree with any hire being a roll-of-the-dice, but your odds increase the more information you know. Harbaugh has been a "Failure" for only two reasons....he's at Michigan (who expects more) and he can't beat TOSU. Dabo was catching lightening in a bottle.....I don't like our odds of doing the same.

Lane failed to win at USC how is he a more sure fire success than Muschamp? He is not. He is hated basically everywhere he has been and an absolute embarrassment. They will have fleeting offensive success perhaps as he is a good play caller, but he is not going to win the SEC there I would bet, he is not going to overtake Bama, and he has taken over a bowl team and will have a losing record this year. I see nothing to indicate he will win big at Ole Miss. It will likely pay off much like their Freeze hire did- with mediocre success ending in embarrassment and shame.

Nobody could have won at USC at that time . Carroll’s dirty program basically screwed the next decade worth of USC football . The scholarship restrictions and bowl bans really hurt that program . Even hard core USC fans will acknowledge that . Yes he is a slimy , cocky , arrogant asshole , who would sale his mother to win . That’s why he would win here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT