ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer Experiment is going no-where……

Are you glad you gave Charlie Strong a third year? Or should you have just made the move after year 2?
A this point in his second season, Strong had just beaten OU (ranked No. 10) and beat Kansas State, then beat Kansas 59-20. He ended the season with a win over No.12 Baylor. So people were still hopeful he would turn things around. He didn't, but you never know unless you give a coach a chance. Strong spent much of his first year ridding the team of dopeheads who had been highly ranked recruits. So people wanted to give him some time to get his people in place. Even his third season started with a 50--47 win over a top ten ranked Notre Dame, but by the end of the season it was clear he wasn't the guy when he lost to a 1-9 Kansas team on the way to 5-7.

So if Texas had fired Strong 10 games into his second season, we really wouldn't know if he was the guy or not.

Reactions: Flameout12
No he’s right actually. Sunshine pumpers and coach worshipers like yourself are where we were before Spurrier got here. He got us over that hump. And damn if we aren’t headed right back to it. You’ll learn young one.
I am a Texas Longhorn fan and I am not young and not particularly a fan of Beamer. I know for a fact that teams who fire their head coaches every two years will never have a good coach accept the position.

As for Spurrier didn't he have 5 mediocre seasons (5 or 6 losses) at SC before he started winning? Spurrier is a good example to use to give a head coach more time, not an example to use in firing a coach in year one or two (when he lost 5 games in each)

Reactions: tngamecock#
I am a Texas Longhorn fan and I am not young and not particularly a fan of Beamer. I know for a fact that teams who fire their head coaches every two years will never have a good coach accept the position.

As for Spurrier didn't he have 5 mediocre seasons (5 or 6 losses) at SC before he started winning? Spurrier is a good example to use to give a head coach more time, not an example to use in firing a coach in year one or two (when he lost 5 games in each)
I'm not saying fire Beamer yet but he needs to make some assistant coaching changes which I believe Spurrier didn't hesitate to do

I know for a fact that teams who fire their head coaches every two years will never have a good coach accept the position.

Again, have we actually ever done that once, much less every two years?

I'm still saying he fires his OC and buys at least another year of good will, but if this would be the first time a guy was fired after two years, you can't say we're firing someone every two years.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I'm not saying fire Beamer yet but he needs to make some assistant coaching changes which I believe Spurrier didn't hesitate to do
Steve was hit & miss. His initial group of coaches was not a great group & he took forever to fire John Hunt.
Most of his best asst coaches came after Steve's 4th season.

No way Beamer is not doing his homework on his next OC.

No way Beamer is not doing his homework on his next OC.

There are actually fans who think he'll stick with Satterfield. Well, at least one I can think of.

I do have this small doubt in the back of my mind. This small voice that tells me to get ready for that press conference where Beamer talks recruiting and how he's looking forward to the offense improving under Satterfield with rattler returning, etc. Maybe it's more like a nightmare.

Again, have we actually ever done that once, much less every two years?

I'm still saying he fires his OC and buys at least another year of good will, but if this would be the first time a guy was fired after two years, you can't say we're firing someone every two years.

We have fired OCs every 2 years recently.

I know for a fact that teams who fire their head coaches every two years will never have a good coach accept the position.

This applies for coordinators too. Nobody wants to go work somewhere that is a wreck and be fired if they don't turn it around immediately. Unreasonable expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: BattleshipTexas
A this point in his second season, Strong had just beaten OU (ranked No. 10) and beat Kansas State, then beat Kansas 59-20. He ended the season with a win over No.12 Baylor. So people were still hopeful he would turn things around. He didn't, but you never know unless you give a coach a chance. Strong spent much of his first year ridding the team of dopeheads who had been highly ranked recruits. So people wanted to give him some time to get his people in place. Even his third season started with a 50--47 win over a top ten ranked Notre Dame, but by the end of the season it was clear he wasn't the guy when he lost to a 1-9 Kansas team on the way to 5-7.

So if Texas had fired Strong 10 games into his second season, we really wouldn't know if he was the guy or not.
This is a silly argument. How do you know Strong wouldn’t have turned it around in year 4? You don’t if we use your logic.

All season 3 did was confirm what you knew from season 2. Good decision makers saw the writing on the wall in season 2.

This is even a worse take. Tennessee has churned through coaches and now they have one that’s capable of winning them a national championship. The idea that a coach won’t take a job because you fired another coach is laughable.

They know how the game works and are protected with expensive buyouts. They especially are qualified in the case of Beamer. The next coach knows we made a mistake hiring a TE coach to be the HC.

Spurrier was one illegal motion penalty away from winning the SEC East in his first season. Comparing the time you give a legend like Spurrier versus someone who has never even been a coordinator makes it sound like you’re arguing in bad faith.

This applied for coordinators too. Nobody wants to go work somewhere that is a wreck and be fired if they don't turn it around immediately. Unreasonable expectations.

So then you keep Satterfield for another year? The real issue is no one is going to want to work for Beamer knowing Beamer may get fired in 2023.

Reactions: Lurker123
Beamer's fate will be determined on the OC hire in the next few months. Hopefully he makes better decisions than the worthless POS tanner.
Everyone forgets about how Beamers tenure here started where he got into 2021 and his OC (BoBo) and OL (Friend) coach jumped shipped unexpectedly for Auburn. He had to go get replacements last minute and obviously it hasnt worked out. I have confidence that when he makes the change at both coaching spots after the Clemson game he can get the guys he wants, not just guys he could get. I get being frustrated, but canning coaches midseason doesnt do anything. In fact it usually makes things worse (see Kentucky who fired their OC and just lost to Vandy at home).

There is tangible progress from where things ended in 2020 to the end of 2021 and even this year. We were a dumpster fire in 2020 which is why Muschamp lost his job. Last year we showed some signs of life and stole a couple of games (ECU, Auburn, Vandy) where I think our record was a bit better than we actually were. This year we starting beating some teams we havent beaten in a while but we have had a lot of injuries on defense this year and obviously there are some deficiencies with scheme and in game adjustments on offense.

Beamer is upgrading the talent at every position each year. All the major contributors this year except Lloyd are guys he brought in. Rattler has arm talent, hopefully we can get a new OC in here that can do a better job and maybe we surprise some people next year.

It really sucks to see Tennessee rebound so quickly in comparison, but I think they are enjoying the confluence of scheme and high level transfer talent that reminds me a lot of 2019 LSU. We will see next year what Huepel can do once all those senior level players head to the NFL.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Everyone forgets about how Beamers tenure here started where he got into 2021 and his OC (BoBo) and OL (Friend) coach jumped shipped unexpectedly for Auburn. He had to go get replacements last minute and obviously it hasnt worked out. I have confidence that when he makes the change at both coaching spots after the Clemson game he can get the guys he wants, not just guys he could get. I get being frustrated, but canning coaches midseason doesnt do anything. In fact it usually makes things worse (see Kentucky who fired their OC and just lost to Vandy at home).

There is tangible progress from where things ended in 2020 to the end of 2021 and even this year. We were a dumpster fire in 2020 which is why Muschamp lost his job. Last year we showed some signs of life and stole a couple of games (ECU, Auburn, Vandy) where I think our record was a bit better than we actually were. This year we starting beating some teams we havent beaten in a while but we have had a lot of injuries on defense this year and obviously there are some deficiencies with scheme and in game adjustments on offense.

Beamer is upgrading the talent at every position each year. All the major contributors this year except Lloyd are guys he brought in. Rattler has arm talent, hopefully we can get a new OC in here that can do a better job and maybe we surprise some people next year.

It really sucks to see Tennessee rebound so quickly in comparison, but I think they are enjoying the confluence of scheme and high level transfer talent that reminds me a lot of 2019 LSU. We will see next year what Huepel can do once all those senior level players head to the NFL.

You’re sticking your head in the sand. Beamer hired Satterfield a day after Bobo left for Auburn. Beamer wanted to hire him from the start. If he was truly an emergency hire, why was he given a two year contract?

We haven’t made any progress. We are essentially the same 2 win team we were in 2020. The difference is the level of competition has come down to us. We haven’t gone up and beaten better programs. The best wins of the Beamer Era are Florida when the team quit on its coach, Auburn that fired its coach in less than two seasons, and Texas A&M that’s currently something like 3-7. Our fans want to call it progress, but every objective party sees it isn’t.

You’re hiding your head in the sand not realizing Beamer has benefitted from the talent Muschamp left. Almost all of the contributors on defense are Muschamp guys. A lot of those guys are going to be leaving the next year or two. The entire OL needs to be replaced next year and you’re losing Lloyd most likely.

The recruiting class this year is a lot of smoke and mirrors. There isn’t a single top 150 recruit. You’re going to be sorely mistaken when guys like Pickens and Burch get replaced by lower ranked recruits.

Now the rumors are slipping out that Beamer is losing a portion of the locker room. We could be a pure free fall next season if they hit the transfer portal.

Reactions: Cockytalk84
I dont think you can keep Satterfield after the regular season is over. I don't know who the guy is for us to go get, but I probably wouldnt promote from within and I wouldnt suggest for Beamer to hire another friend. This hire is going to dictate if he will still be HC in 2 years or not.

I would look at non power 5 schools for who have the best offenses and see if we can find someone that has an innovative scheme that will score a ton of points and that kids will enjoy playing in. Clemson did this with Chad Morris and it worked out big time.

Reactions: eds11 and Lurker123
I know. That's why I stated OCs. And the same logic applies to coordinators.

Then a suggestion: "We have fired OCs every 2 years recently THOUGH."

Lets people know that you realize the topic was about head coaches but youre trying to include OC's as well. Otherwise, you come across as contradicting the statement incorrectly.

Regardless, coordinators do not get the same time as head coaches.

I found an article on Bobo leaving marked January 7th, and Satterfields hire as January 9th.

Even if not the same day, it was a short enough time that it sure seems like a VERY narrow search.

Yeah the 9th was probably when the school official announced but the Charlotte Observer and The State both have articles on the 7th announcing Satterfield would be hired.

Add in the personal relationship between Beamer and Satterfield and it's really hard to argue this was an forced reactionary hire instead of something Beamer wanted.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Yeah the 9th was probably when the school official announced but the Charlotte Observer and The State both have articles on the 7th announcing Satterfield would be hired.

Add in the personal relationship between Beamer and Satterfield and it's really hard to argue this was an forced reactionary hire instead of something Beamer wanted.

The article I found was the official announcement, so you may be right about the earlier articles.

Edit: I looked again and found some articles as soon as the 8th saying Beamer would hire Satterfield.

So at most, it was the next day he had decided on Satterfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I honestly forget the circumstances. Did Beamer hire him the next day after Bobo left?
Doesn't matter if Satt was hired the next hr. Implying Satt was the guy all along is someone inventing their own narrative.
There's some articles out there that may give more details, but all paywalled.

I found an article on Bobo leaving marked January 7th, and Satterfields hire as January 9th.

Even if not the same day, it was a short enough time that it sure seems like a VERY narrow search.
Beamer also stated when he was hired that he had NFL guys wanting to coach with him, obviously he was referring to Satterfield. No other NFL coach has surfaced.

CockyTalk84 I like and Enjoy Meaning of Your Threads and Posts.

However, This Post is Unfair to CSB. Utjr different situation. Jeremy Pruitt Cheated Like Fulmer. Pruitt fit right in with Utjr with the Exception he Couldn't win there. Muschamp Left Beamer a Mess to Clean Up. Muschamp poisoned the Mind of Many Of Our Best Players -JC Horn, ,Israel Mukuamu come to mind, These Kids Opted Out after Muschamp Termination.

This Revealed Muschimps True Colors. Muschimp protrayed being superior in Morals and Ethics to Others . See his Comments about Urban Meyer When he took over at UF. Muschimp was Arrogant and not as good as he thought he was.

If you have Good Character, You aren't going to Use your Influence to Poison The Minds of Young Men. Muschimp is Right up there with Fat Brad Scott. They Were probably our Worst SC Football Coaches in Our Football History.

I don't know if CSB will Succeed or not. Definitely needs to Get Rid of Satterfield. And Continue to Recruit,

CSB is getting the Most out of the talent He has to Work With. Only Time will tell if ?He can Succeed Here No Depth and not Enough talent Win in the SEC.
The problem with his is, our fans were literally saying all of this when Muschamp was hired about spurrier. "Spurrier stopped recruiting", "spurrier left the cupboard bare", "spurrier was arrogant". Some kept giving Msuchamps excuse after excuse, the same ones Beamer is getting now. Like literally the same excuses.

With todays transfer portal it should be easier/faster for Beamer to get this needed depth to compete. Napier is in his first year and inherited a bad roster. You can make excuses for Heupel but they have a transfer qb and freshman wr's lighting it up. Beam....not so much.

The problem with his is, our fans were literally saying all of this when Muschamp was hired about spurrier. "Spurrier stopped recruiting", "spurrier left the cupboard bare", "spurrier was arrogant". Some kept giving Msuchamps excuse after excuse, the same ones Beamer is getting now. Like literally the same excuses.

With todays transfer portal it should be easier/faster for Beamer to get this needed depth to compete. Napier is in his first year and inherited a bad roster. You can make excuses for Heupel but they have a transfer qb and freshman wr's lighting it up. Beam....not so much.

What amazes me are all the fans that keep arguing, "Beamer will get it right!"

What makes anyone think that? He got the initial hire wrong. He got the decision to keep him last year. Even if he fires him this year, what makes you think he's going to make a good decision for the next OC?

What amazes me are all the fans that keep arguing, "Beamer will get it right!"

What makes anyone think that? He got the initial hire wrong. He got the decision to keep him last year. Even if he fires him this year, what makes you think he's going to make a good decision for the next OC?
It's the one who have "confidence" he will make the right moves. Confidence based on what...?
His past head coaching experience...?Nope can't be that.
His past hires...? No can't be that b/c he has made the wrong ones so far (not counting special teams).
It's blind confidence at best, head in the sand at worst.

Sunshine pumpers like you are the reason this program sucks every year. Keep being happy with mediocrity loser.
Just like the democrats throw out racist or "election integrity" (whatever the hell that means as every election we go to be with a Republican ahead only to wake up to "oh gee, all these ballots came in overnight" and the democrat is now ahead)......someone makes a comment that's not "fire someone immediately or he will never get it done" and here comes "sunshine pumper."

Hope you were calling for Dabo's head when he went 6-7 in year 3.

Just like the democrats throw out racist or "election integrity" (whatever the hell that means as every election we go to be with a Republican ahead only to wake up to "oh gee, all these ballots came in overnight" and the democrat is now ahead)......someone makes a comment that's not "fire someone immediately or he will never get it done" and here comes "sunshine pumper."

Hope you were calling for Dabo's head when he went 6-7 in year 3.

And any time anyone paints a realistic picture of things, here comes "pessimist" or "negative nancy".

But I looked it up, Dabo won 10 games his third year. His 6-7 year was his second, and in an ironic twist, he fired his OC that year.

And any time anyone paints a realistic picture of things, here comes "pessimist" or "negative nancy".

But I looked it up, Dabo won 10 games his third year. His 6-7 year was his second, and in an ironic twist, he fired his OC that year.

It makes me sick giving credit to Dabo, but he also pulled in a top 10 class with four 5-star prospects and had won their division the year prior.

The 6-7 record didn't hurt nearly as badly as ours.

Not inventing, trying to interpret maybe?
Dunno....seems kinda obvious. The DC & STs guys (White/Lembo) both had solid if not great resumes, while the OC we picked to replace Bobo may have had the worst resume of any OC in Div-1. :oops:

And we have some that think this was all some kind of plan from the beginning?

Dunno....seems kinda obvious. The DC & STs guys (White/Lembo) both had solid if not great resumes, while the OC we picked to replace Bobo may have had the worst resume of any OC in Div-1. :oops:

And we have some that think this was all some kind of plan from the beginning?

So why did Beamer hire him?

I’ve always thought that Beamer was going to use Bobo and Satterfield in duel roles and that’s why Bobo split and Satterfield was in the door so fast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT