ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer Experiment is going no-where……

I’ve always thought that Beamer was going to use Bobo and Satterfield in duel roles and that’s why Bobo split and Satterfield was in the door so fast.
But there wasn't room for both on staff.

Bobo split because he got an unreal offer. Money talks.

This is even a worse take. Tennessee has churned through coaches and now they have one that’s capable of winning them a national championship. The idea that a coach won’t take a job because you fired another coach is laughable.

They know how the game works and are protected with expensive buyouts. They especially are qualified in the case of Beamer. The next coach knows we made a mistake hiring a TE coach to be the HC.
There is competition for the good young head coaches among colleges. If your school has a reputation for ditching coaches before they have a chance to get their program fully in place, you will be at a disadvantage in that competition. Before Joh Heupel, Tennessee gave Jeremy Pruitt three years and before that Butch Jones four years and before that Derek Dooley three years. They never fired a coach in his second season. Tennessee is not a good example for firing a coach during his season two. Even when "churning through coaches" Tennessee knew you had to give three years time at a minimum to judge a head coach.

Last edited:
There is competition for the good young head coaches among colleges. If your school has a reputation for ditching coaches before they have a chance to get their program fully in place, you will be at a disadvantage in that competition. Before Joh Heupel, Tennessee gave Jeremy Pruitt three years and before that Butch Jones four years and before that Derek Dooley three years. They never fired a coach in his second season. Tennessee is not a good example for firing a coach during his season two. Even when "churning through coaches" Tennessee knew you had to give three years time at a minimum to judge a head coach.

Now you're reduced to trying to make some distinction between giving a coach two or three years. You think 3 year is enough time to get their program fully in place?

U got me. My guess is Beamer felt pressure to do something quick.
Seems obvious he was not happy with the Bobo thing.

So he just happened to hire a groomsman from his wedding the day his oc leaves for another job?

That type of panic hire makes it sound even worse than it was his idea from the beginning. At least with my perspective, Beamer had a plan. You make it seem like Beamer was completely unprepared to hire a staff.

Now you're reduced to trying to make some distinction between giving a coach two or three years. You think 3 year is enough time to get their program fully in place?
It is a lot more reasonable period of time to judge a coach than during their 2nd year, with two regular season games and a bowl game still to play.

And any time anyone paints a realistic picture of things, here comes "pessimist" or "negative nancy".

But I looked it up, Dabo won 10 games his third year. His 6-7 year was his second, and in an ironic twist, he fired his OC that year.
Then we will expect the same this year cause this offense is not working. And it was 2010 and dumbo took over in 2008

So he just happened to hire a groomsman from his wedding the day his oc leaves for another job?

That type of panic hire makes it sound even worse than it was his idea from the beginning. At least with my perspective, Beamer had a plan. You make it seem like Beamer was completely unprepared to hire a staff.

I do agree with this - it seemed like a panicked hire. USC had $900k to spend on an OC. They could have gotten some lower level sitting head coaches for that price - thinking the guy at Kent State. At the very least they could have gotten a solid, college OC with tons of experience.

Instead, they throw the whole $900k at a guy who no one was even offering $100k to be their OC. He wasn't in demand - and yet it took the whole budget to get him to USC? That's the part that really gets me. You want to hire him - fine. But they paid him more than double what his market value was at the time (and it's even less now).

Then we will expect the same this year cause this offense is not working. And it was 2010 and dumbo took over in 2008

I do expect the same.

The obvious discrepancy is that you're considering his finishing a year as the interim coach as his first year and I am not.

There is competition for the good young head coaches among colleges. If your school has a reputation for ditching coaches before they have a chance to get their program fully in place, you will be at a disadvantage in that competition.

I'd point out again that it would be hard to have a reputation for doing something when we've never done it. For all the talk of not wanting to be a revolving door of coaches, we havent been one.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Maybe Beamer promised the job to Satt during his bachelor party? Secret pact? House on Lake Murray?
Deal finalized in Chinese restaurant? Ray in attendance with golden pen?

That can mean only 1 thing....Satt gets new 5 yr contract + Special Asst HCIW!

Maybe Beamer promised the job to Satt during his bachelor party? Secret pact? House on Lake Murray?
Deal finalized in Chinese restaurant? Ray in attendance with golden pen?

That can mean only 1 thing....Satt gets new 5 yr contract + Special Asst HCIW!

No idea why you think any of this is funny?

Face it folks Beamer is way in over his head. 5 or 6 wins will be the ceiling every year. The sooner you face it the sooner we can move on. This team sucks, no better than last year, maybe even worse.
LOL! How many wins did you predict/expect in the first two years?

I do expect the same.

The obvious discrepancy is that you're considering his finishing a year as the interim coach as his first year and I am not.
He coached 7 games….so over half means it counts to me
I do expect the same.

if he had coached a couple or three games I agree. He was head coach for over half the season so I count that. Either way, in year 3 there were people wanting him gone.

He took over mid season in 2008 and beat his arch rival in that year. Are you intentionally being daft?
I am typing slow so you can understand……in mathematical rounding to the nearest whole number, he coached in over 50% of the games so round that to 1 for 2008. Season 2 was 2009. Season 3 was 2010. He was leading them down hill to a losing record at that point.………or if you prefer, we can give him a pass for 2008……he still had a losing record in 2010 and the taters are glad they didn’t fire him cause he sure as hell wasn’t trending upwards at that point. I love the way Beamer is not through year 2 and he doesn’t get the same timeline. Dabo made changes….I will see if Beamer does the same

Doesn't mean it takes that long to judge every coach on the staff, however. This OC will sink Beamer's ship before it gets out of territorial waters unless the captain throws him overboard.

I am typing slow so you can understand……in mathematical rounding to the nearest whole number, he coached in over 50% of the games so round that to 1 for 2008. Season 2 was 2009. Season 3 was 2010. He was leading them down hill to a losing record at that point.………or if you prefer, we can give him a pass for 2008……he still had a losing record in 2010 and the taters are glad they didn’t fire him cause he sure as hell wasn’t trending upwards at that point. I love the way Beamer is not through year 2 and he doesn’t get the same timeline. Dabo made changes….I will see if Beamer does the same

lol "in mathematical terms" No one is going to take you seriously when you're actively trying to distort the situation.

P.S. even if we follow this nonsensical approach, the mood around here would be a lot different is Beamer won his division in year two like Dabo did.

He coached 7 games….so over half means it counts to me

He was an interim coach, who took over in the middle of the season, so it doesn't count to me.

Regardless of whether it counts or doesn't count to people personally, you should expect confusion when you take an odd stance like that.

…he still had a losing record in 2010 and the taters are glad they didn’t fire him cause he sure as hell wasn’t trending upwards at that point.

Two things. One, you're right that year two trended down, and fans were unhappy. Dabo was unhappy and dumped his OC, bringing in a better offense. This sounds like what most people want done here.

The second thing is that Dabo went 9-3 that first regular season, and won their first (I think?) division title that year. (They then lost the title game and bowl game). Had Shane done that, he would have a lot more leeway his second year.

Reactions: uscwatson21
LOL! How many wins did you predict/expect in the first two years?
Its not so much the record as the fact that no improvement is being seen on the field. Players are lost and looking to the sidelines which tells me they do not understand the plays. 6-6 in year two would be acceptable if the program was moving upward. Anyone that has watched us play both seasons cannot truly say this team is in any way better than last years team. I would contend that they have regressed.

Its not so much the record as the fact that no improvement is being seen on the field. Players are lost and looking to the sidelines which tells me they do not understand the plays. 6-6 in year two would be acceptable if the program was moving upward. Anyone that has watched us play both seasons cannot truly say this team is in any way better than last years team. I would contend that they have regressed.

We're getting blown out by division/conference foes. Our victories are coming from cupcakes, who usually end up with losing season records. In 10 years @ USC, Frank Martin was 20 games UNDER 500, in the SEC, not usually a premiere basketball conference. Will Muschamp's 5 years here resulted in Losing Records in both SEC and Over-all. Those who don't learn from their mistakes, are condemned to repeat them.

Oddly, I'm not supporting a firing bloodbath at the end of this season. I am suggesting that Ray Tanner now has about 14 months to turn the football program 100% around (or a super big name replacement hire would satisfy that requirement) and if not, he should then be the first to be terminated.

Last edited:

Exactly. If we were 6-4 like Mississippi State at least it would be fun to watch.

Too many of the positive fans don't see the train wreck that's coming next season.

Exactly. If we were 6-4 like Mississippi State at least it would be fun to watch.

Too many of the positive fans don't see the train wreck that's coming next season.
At least at Miss St, they know what they want to be, do, look like and strive toward. There's a vision there. If someone could fill me in to what the vision is here, I'd appreciate it. I mean I know we want to win games on Saturdays but other than that, who are we and what do we want to be?

To start, it would have to be a first time. A single incident. That does not constitute a revolving door, or "every two years".
It would be the first time to fire someone after two years. That is what you wouldn't want to start doing.

Doesn't mean it takes that long to judge every coach on the staff, however. This OC will sink Beamer's ship before it gets out of territorial waters unless the captain throws him overboard.
I don't disagree about assistants. At Texas, some of Tom Herman's troubles were going with assistant coaches from his Houston staff that he was "comfortable" with, rather than using Texas extensive salary resources to hire the best available.

Reactions: king ward
It would be the first time to fire someone after two years. That is what you wouldn't want to start doing.

We agree on not wanting to be seen as a revolving door. My thought is that doing it once wouldn't lead to that right away. Doing it twice would.

Also, I'm arguing for firing the OC and that buying Beamer at least another year.

It's the one who have "confidence" he will make the right moves. Confidence based on what...?
His past head coaching experience...?Nope can't be that.
His past hires...? No can't be that b/c he has made the wrong ones so far (not counting special teams).
It's blind confidence at best, head in the sand at worst.

Here at SC we have stopped using candidates actual track records for hiring. Holtz and Spurrier were proven winners as HCs. Muschamp and Beamer werent. Both were hired over candidates who were proven winners. Hell at least Muschamp was (and at UGA still is) clearly a proven DC.

We let Ray Tanner make this mess. All bc of nostalgia over some baseball trophies.

Here at SC we have stopped using candidates actual track records for hiring. Holtz and Spurrier were proven winners as HCs. Muschamp and Beamer werent. Both were hired over candidates who were proven winners. Hell at least Muschamp was (and at UGA still is) clearly a proven DC.

We let Ray Tanner make this mess. All bc of nostalgia over some baseball trophies.
Yep. Hired a first time athletic director, who eventually hires an unproven football coach. What could go wrong?

Yep. This year we played Ga State, UNC-Charlotte, SC State, Kentucky lost their QB, A&M has their worst team in probably 50 years, Probably the easiest schedule we’ll have this decade. And we got lucky to go 6-6.

And before anyone says it….we’re going 6-6. Im sorry, but this team isnt gonna even be competitive against UT and CU.

lol Beamer said the fans were to emotional every week. Saying he won't be on an emotional roller coaster every week. He literally is an emotional roller coaster every day. Dude has cried on the field during interviews, cried at interviews during post game conferences, acted like a petulant child to questions after a loss.

JFC this dude makes it more clear he is in over his head, daily. Thanks "Tittle 9" Tanner for yet another terrible hire.

We agree on not wanting to be seen as a revolving door. My thought is that doing it once wouldn't lead to that right away. Doing it twice would.

Also, I'm arguing for firing the OC and that buying Beamer at least another year.
It does look like the OC is a problem. While firing a head coach after two years once might not automatically give that bad reputation, if twice in a row would do so, then doing it now would mean if you really had a stinker of a coach as Beamer's replacement, you couldn't fire him without being seen as the revolving door. Much better to give Beamer through next year, as he is already doing better than Muschamp did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT