ADVERTISEMENT

Birmingham Bowl

Wake kicks a FG, Memphis returns kickoff for a TD.

Memphis 28 - Wake Forest 10

If it’s this easy for Memphis, think of how easy it is for Clemson. Still 11 minutes left in the 2nd quarter so plenty of time to turn this game around for Wake.

Reactions: roosterbell
Wake looking like they woke up. 28-17 and they are down to the Memphis 17.

Boy this is bad football. Why the hell am I talking about it? Looks like Chatanooga trying to tackle Shi Smith.

If it’s this easy for Memphis, think of how easy it is for Clemson. Still 11 minutes left in the 2nd quarter so plenty of time to turn this game around for Wake.
Clemson has at least a half dozen this easy every year. Most of those schools just don't really care about football.

Memphis is pathetic. Went for two for no reason after scoring a td and failed-put them up by 4 with a minute and half left in game. Then give up a td with 30 seconds left. Down by three (should have been two if they kicked extra point), they drive down field and attempt to kick a 38 yard field goal twice. Kicker made it first time but Wake called timeout. Kicker made it second time but olineman jumped offsides. Then kicker misses 43 yarder to lose game. Exciting game though.

Last edited:

Pro tip for the rest of bowl season: avoid making statements containing sweeping conclusions in the first half.

Ok, ok. It did end up being a fun game to watch. The kickoff returner for Memphis should be returning for an NFL team soon. Wake QB was worth watching too.

I didn’t watch much after our basketball game started but he (Wake QB) was coming on before then. He was fun to watch when they beat N.C. State this season. Their WRs made some crazy catches that night too.

Reactions: hunterdog
Memphis is pathetic. Went for two for no reason after scoring a td and failed-put them up by 4 with a minute and half left in game. Then give up a td with 30 seconds left. Down by three (should have been two if they kicked extra point), they drive down field and attempt to kick a 38 yard field goal twice. Kicker made it first time but Wake called timeout. Kicker made it second time but olineman jumped offsides. Then kicker misses 43 yarder to lose game. Exciting game though.
The two point conversation attempt had me scratching my head. It made absolutely no sense what so ever.

They gave that game away. Wake was letting the clock run out without using their time outs when Memphis was inside the ten. Memphis made the fatal mistake of scoring with over a minute left to play.

Memphis coaching staff didn't deserve to win. Bunch of bone heads.

Reactions: sclawman77
Pro tip for the rest of bowl season: avoid making statements containing sweeping conclusions in the first half.
Not just advice for bowl games. We got posters who give up on our team after they first possession and then look silly when we've pulled those games out with a win.

Clemson has at least a half dozen this easy every year. Most of those schools just don't really care about football.
Yeah, like Coastal, Marshall, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Chattanooga, Tennessee and Akron, so I’d say seven.........oh, I thought you said Carolna had six easy ones. My bad.

@Thechamp2026 considering the Marshall game never happened because it was cancelled due to weather defeats your whole theory. Ole Miss would hang 30 on Clemson easily we got lucky that Taamu got banged up. The SEC is head and shoulders better than the ACC it is not even close. Go back to the Clemson board

When we stroke Virginia there will be no more arguments about which conference is better. UVA almost won the coastal and is one of the better teams in the ACC. Cannot wait to put the hurting on them.

Not just advice for bowl games. We got posters who give up on our team after they first possession and then look silly when we've pulled those games out with a win.

Yeah, now go read the last sentence of the post he replied to...which he admitted he overlooked.

Doesn’t change the point, Carolina had 6 cupcakes.
Vanderbilt - a chump - just a heads up that Notre Dame beat them by a couple of points on their own home field. Vandy is NO slouch.
Tennessee is having a current down period - but they will cycle back up - but they had their good games as well in 2018.
Ole Miss would put as many points on Clemson (if not more) than Carolina and we had a very tough time stopping them and were not as even decimated on our defense as we were for Clemson (but alas, down 7 or 8 starters on defense was a major issue for Carolina in that last game). Clemson's vaunted defense - not so much.

I would agree 3-1/2 cupcakes (counting TN as the 1/2th).

Dude your only tough game in conference was Syracuse. Can you just admit the ACC is not that good right now
I’ll admit the ACC is down this year. That’s not our fault. We just beat who we play. I think our OOC record speaks for itself. I’m not here to defend the ACC. For me, it’s all about Clemson. i don’t drape myself in the ACC flag like may Carolina fans do with there SEC membership. Who cares how tough your conference is if you can’t beat the higher ranked teams. Seems kinda dumb to me to tout the strength of the SEC when you aren’t at the top. I’ll just never understand that logic. And BTW Clemson’s strength of Schedule is 13th vs Carolina’s 9th. Beat Notre Dame and then Possibly Alabama, i would find it hard to trash Clemson’s Schedule. This no disrespect to Carolina, just sticking up for my team.

I’ll admit the ACC is down this year. That’s not our fault. We just beat who we play. I think our OOC record speaks for itself. I’m not here to defend the ACC. For me, it’s all about Clemson. i don’t drape myself in the ACC flag like may Carolina fans do with there SEC membership. Who cares how tough your conference is if you can’t beat the higher ranked teams. Seems kinda dumb to me to tout the strength of the SEC when you aren’t at the top. I’ll just never understand that logic. And BTW Clemson’s strength of Schedule is 13th vs Carolina’s 9th. Beat Notre Dame and then Possibly Alabama, i would find it hard to trash Clemson’s Schedule. This no disrespect to Carolina, just sticking up for my team.

Do all you guys have to memorize these talking points? Your OOC record? You're hangin' your hat on a 2 point win over Texas A&M, that's what speaks for itself? Of course you don't drape yourself in the ACC flag. The ACC stinks. The teams you're calling cupcakes, Ole Miss, Vandy and Tennessee would pass you guys bowlegged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT