ADVERTISEMENT

Booing jake

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
Just a couple of questions.
1. If u r a gamecock fan, why would u boo your own qb? What positive result do u think is going to come from booing your own player?

2. If u r a gamecock fan, and u want our team to get better, and the way to accomplish that is with better players, how is booing our players during a big game going to affect recruits?

3. Would u want to be treated the way some of u guys r treating jake/ our coaches? Would u want a son of yours treated this way?

4. If u are truly a gamecock fan, can u understand that winning is more fun for everyone? The players, the coaches, other fans? No one is happy or ok with losing. But some of us can be adults about it.

5. Do u understand that other fans, particularly those in the upstate, are using the booing to make fun of us/to hurt our program?

6. Have you ever heard either of these mottos? NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT? MAN UP? Stop acting like middle school girls.

I think the boos were really directed at the coaches. What matters the most though is that administration take this booing seriously. People are going to boo more with their wallets.

If fans MUST vocalize their displeasure re; poor performance on-the-field, I wish they would substitute 'Awwwwwwww' in place of the booos. Awwwws show unhappiness as opposed to the bitter displeasure and judgement of booos. Even better, how 'bout dead silence?

The same people who boo at games are the ones that will blame the coaches when visiting recruits choose to go elsewhere. The boo birds think the game is for them and about them. They are entitled to a win because they bought a ticket and a T-shirt and maybe went to the school. I would bet you that anyone who boos students at a collegiate event never played the game, or probably succeeded much in life. They know absolutely nothing about what being on a team is about. Some so-called fans need to learn that it's time to get their own lives. Jake Bentley never quit. And he didn't deflect in the post game. No, he's not a Heisman quarterback. But I bet there is not one person who booed him who has achieved more in his or her sorry life than Bentley has at the age of 20 (or whatever he is) and he is going to go a lot further in life with his attitude than anyone who was booing players yesterday.

If fans MUST vocalize their displeasure re; poor performance on-the-field, I wish they would substitute 'Awwwwwwww' in place of the booos. Awwwws show unhappiness as opposed to the bitter displeasure and judgement of booos. Even better, how 'bout dead silence?
Dead silence is what is on the horizon.

The same people who boo at games are the ones that will blame the coaches when visiting recruits choose to go elsewhere. The boo birds think the game is for them and about them. They are entitled to a win because they bought a ticket and a T-shirt and maybe went to the school. I would bet you that anyone who boos students at a collegiate event never played the game, or probably succeeded much in life. They know absolutely nothing about what being on a team is about. Some so-called fans need to learn that it's time to get their own lives. Jake Bentley never quit. And he didn't deflect in the post game. No, he's not a Heisman quarterback. But I bet there is not one person who booed him who has achieved more in his or her sorry life than Bentley has at the age of 20 (or whatever he is) and he is going to go a lot further in life with his attitude than anyone who was booing players yesterday.
I'm female, obviously I haven't played the game. However at this point I have achieved more than he has, and I have been going to games since the late 60's.

I'm female, obviously I haven't played the game. However at this point I have achieved more than he has, and I have been going to games since the late 60's.

And you boo players? Shame on you. But I'll listen to your accomplishments. Bentley was a four star recruit. He is a starting quarterback in the SEC -- the pinnacle of college sports. He really had no time to sit and watch and learn from others. Instead, he took over the spot for a team that had won 3 games the prior year. He led them to six wins in his first year, and to 9 wins his second. He has never been in trouble and has represented his University with great distinction and poise when interviewed (even after tough games). (Does anyone think press conferences are easy, especially after a grueling loss, or when you are practically a teenager?) Even at the lowest points, his teammates rally around him (Did you see Bryson Allen-Williams yesterday), which tells you about his own leadership qualities. Now go ahead, list your accomplishments.

I wonder if Hilinski was watching, and if so what he thought about the fans booing our own?

1. If u r a gamecock fan, why would u boo your own qb? What positive result do u think is going to come from booing your own player?

2. If u r a gamecock fan, and u want our team to get better, and the way to accomplish that is with better players, how is booing our players during a big game going to affect recruits?

3. Would u want to be treated the way some of u guys r treating jake/ our coaches? Would u want a son of yours treated this way?

4. If u are truly a gamecock fan, can u understand that winning is more fun for everyone? The players, the coaches, other fans? No one is happy or ok with losing. But some of us can be adults about it.

5. Do u understand that other fans, particularly those in the upstate, are using the booing to make fun of us/to hurt our program?

6. Have you ever heard either of these mottos? NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT? MAN UP? Stop acting like middle school girls.
Spot on

Reactions: pisgah
If u r a Gamecock football fan, you are...

- paying $4000 a year for seat fees and 4 season tickets, with the administration raising prices each year, because that's what you have to do to compete. Yet, we are 1-19 in the past 5 years against Georgia, Tex A&M, Kentucky, and Clemson (already counting an L on that one).

- you are hoping an SEC team in your town can come out for a game vs ANY conference team and look like they actually reviewed tape of the team they are about to play.

- you are hoping that your team will be good enough to actual score ANY points against a team in the first half.

- you are hoping your offense looks like something other than a middle school team.

- you are hoping that future NFL receivers don't drop 10 passes.

- you are hoping that a coaching staff may understand that when you run an RPO offense and a system that is most useful when your QB runs the ball a handful of times a game, that you actually have a QB that is also a running option. Otherwise, most guys who coach defense will understand your QB is not a running threat and thus, part of your offense is useless.

- you are hoping that a coaching staff can see that the QB you have now has never has a decent game vs significant competition. We are grown folks...I'm just starting the facts. Most throws are high or otherwise off-target. To our QBs credit, the few passes that were on target today were dropped...see above.

I'm not a fan of booing. It does happen everywhere, even at Clemson when they have been a top-4 team. You will have folks that do it. Probably not fun for our players to hear.

Your take on how it affects our program is greatly overstated.

Recruits? I think how we play, who we beat, what our school has to offer has the most impact on recruiting. You want to get better recruits? Don't crap the bed every Saturday on the football field. Don't have 1st and goal at the 5 and throw an interception straight at a defender. Put an offense on the field that will score more than 0 points in a half. Don't let Kentucky, Clemson, and Texas A&M beat the 5 years years in a row. Don't go 1-4 vs Georgia. Beat somebody other than Coastal Carolina and Vanderbilt.

Other coaches don't have to use us booing against us. They use their record, their teams performance, how we won't beat anybody, how bad our offensive system is, our "average of a football program" against us.

Booing has little effect on a recruit. It's what they see on the field, if a program is a winning program, how the program is being projected in the future.

Don't want people to boo? Coach better, play better.

Funny, though the winless season with Lou Holtz, I never heard anybody boo our team. The effort was always there...and you could tell, week by week, that something was being built. So you can suck as a football team and still have everyone's respect by the way you play and how you are prepared.

Or you can come out in the third year, look like you have no game plan against half the teams you play, still can't score points, make throws, or catch footballs, and look like you have no direction and no improvement.

Fix that, coach better, perform better, and you won't hear the boos.

Last edited:
And you boo players? Shame on you. But I'll listen to your accomplishments. Bentley was a four star recruit. He is a starting quarterback in the SEC -- the pinnacle of college sports. He really had no time to sit and watch and learn from others. Instead, he took over the spot for a team that had won 3 games the prior year. He led them to six wins in his first year, and to 9 wins his second. He has never been in trouble and has represented his University with great distinction and poise when interviewed (even after tough games). (Does anyone think press conferences are easy, especially after a grueling loss, or when you are practically a teenager?) Even at the lowest points, his teammates rally around him (Did you see Bryson Allen-Williams yesterday), which tells you about his own leadership qualities. Now go ahead, list your accomplishments.
Back off of the lady, pal. Be a gentleman.

I've never booed a player in my life and don't approve off it but college football has changed over the decades and has become a business. Every year prices and costs expand to keep up with the Jones and when the team plays poorly the people feel shafted and sometimes over react with boos. People want what they pay for and don't care anymore about the heart of the team as much as the result on the scoreboard. Coaches are making in the millions and that $$ doesn't grow in the ground the supporters carry the costs they don't care for dropped balls and under thrown passes that are routine throws done every day in practice it adds up to a simple case of missing focus in the end. Yesterday I think the fans weren't booing Jake as much as they were Muschamp for not giving Mike a shot. I know you don't replace a QB because he gets hurt but Jake was struggling with the lack of confidence before he was hurt so...But I'm not ready to throw the towel in with Muschamp because this IS just his 3rd season under a 5 year contract and there is time to built I'm just puzzled by the lack of execution for what we thought was going to be the strength of the team. We're better than this.

- paying $4000 a year for seat fees and 4 season tickets, with the administration raising prices each year, because that's what you have to do to compete. Yet, we are 1-19 in the past 5 years against Georgia, Tex A&M, Kentucky, and Clemson (already counting an L on that one).

- you are hoping an SEC team in your town can come out for a game vs ANY conference team and look like they actually reviewed tape of the team they are about to play.

- you are hoping that your team will be good enough to actual score ANY points against a team in the first half.

- you are hoping your offense looks like something other than a middle school team.

- you are hoping that a coaching staff may understand that when you run an RPO offense and a system that is most useful when your QB runs the ball a handful of times a game, that you actually have a QB that is also a running option. Otherwise, most guys who coach defense will understand your QB is not a running threat and thus, part of your offense is useless.

- you are hoping that a coaching staff can see that the QB you have now has never has a decent game vs significant competition. We are grown folks...I'm just starting the facts. Most throws are high or otherwise off-target. To our QBs credit, the few passes that were on target today were dropped...see above.

I'm not a fan of booing. It does happen everywhere, even at Clemson when they have been a top-4 team. You will have folks that do it. Probably not fun for our players to hear.

Recruits? I think how we play, who we beat, what our school has to offer has the most impact on recruiting. You want to get better recruits? Don't cramp the bed every Saturday on the football field. Don't have 1st and goal at the 5 and throw an interception straight at a defender. Put an offense on the field that will score more than 0 points in a half. Don't let Kentucky, Clemson, and Texas A&M beat the 5 years years in a row. Don't go 1-4 vs Georgia. Beat somebody other than Coastal Carolina and Vanderbilt.

Other coaches don't have to use us booing against us. They use their record, their teams performance, how we sont't beat anybody, how bad our offensive system is, our "average was of a program" against us.

Booing has little effect on a recruit. It's what they see on the field, if a program is a winning program, how the program is being projected in the future.

Funny, though the winless season with Lou Holtz, I never heard anybody boo our team. The effort was always there...and you could tell, week by week, that something was being built. So you can suck as a football team and still have everyone's respect by the way you play and how you are prepared.

Or you can come out in the third year, look like you have no game plan against half the teams you play, still can't score points, make throws, or catch footballs, and look like you have no direction and no improvement.

Mic Drop !!! Couldn’t agree more with every word . If you don’t wanna get boos then play like the guy you were recruited to be . Folks on the board must have received plenty of Participation Trophys . Hillinski ain’t coming here because Muschamp in his 7 years of coaching has failed to develop 2 five star and at least 4 four star QB’s . Let that sink in for a few .

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I don't think booing bad coaching helps, but not on the same plane. Fair points on the big bucks but to me that's part of the problem. The arms race in spending has transformed the game into a pro atmosphere. These facilities and ticket prices are insane. ESPN announcers ripped Vanderbilt's administration yesterday during their game for not keeping up with Northwestern quarter of a Billion dollar facilities plan. Ridiculous. But none of that has anything to do with booing kids, unless you someone wants to argue that paying $4k makes it OK (and I appreciate and recognize that this was not your argument) . As for being a gentleman, gentlemen don't boo kids. Neither would a lady .

He is a good kid it appears. I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings, some hit some miss. He has accomplished a few things in his early life. Hope he continues to thrive in life. I have many accomplishments in my life. I am most proud of serving my country and retiring from the military. I have provided for my family. Most of all I am happy I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savoir. Have a great day!

Recruits? I think how we play, who we beat, what our school has to offer has the most impact on recruiting. You want to get better recruits? Don't cramp the bed every Saturday on the football field. Don't have 1st and goal at the 5 and throw an interception straight at a defender. Put an offense on the field that will score more than 0 points in a half. Don't let Kentucky, Clemson, and Texas A&M beat the 5 years years in a row. Don't go 1-4 vs Georgia. Beat somebody other than Coastal Carolina and Vanderbilt.

Other coaches don't have to use us booing against us. They use their record, their teams performance, how we sont't beat anybody, how bad our offensive system is, our "average was of a program" against us.

lol

I never said I boo players. I have never been in trouble, and I hold several degrees from USC. I have been interviewed numerous times and received a number of awards in a career that has lasted close to 30 years. I have been in numerous leadership positions in several fields. In other words I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

1. Maybe the coaches will hear 80,000 people voice their displeasure and maybe put in the QB that won the game and looked a lot better last weekend. Actually they won’t. They’ll be fine watching us suck and stand by phrases like “Jake is our guy” and “Jake battled”

2. Maybe the recruits were booing too. No one enjoys watching a 50 yard first half. Did you?

3. I don’t have a son but I have 3 daughters. If they suck at playing softball in the SEC, I would expect booing. I would expect it if they sign on to play college football in the SEC. in fact you’re going to hear a heck of a lot worse than than whether you play well or not. This isn’t church league or Rec league.

Our coaches get paid to play the best players to help us achieve the goal of winning. Ty Son Williams rushes for over 40 yards early in the game and gets 4 touches the rest of the way. Gets in for one play the next drive. Care to explain that?

Our backup QB doesn’t get one snap after leading the team to victory last week while our “starter” struggles. The coaching staff has earned every boo they get. They’ll head to the lake tomorrow.

4. The next phase will be empty seats. You’ll see plenty of people being adults about it. It’s called apathy. They won’t care. It’s coming.

5. Bull crap. They booed at Clemson when they couldn’t move the ball against Syracuse. They’ll be fine. Booing doesn’t cause the product on the field. The product on the field causes booing.

Excellent post!

I don't think booing bad coaching helps, but not on the same plane. Fair points on the big bucks but to me that's part of the problem. The arms race in spending has transformed the game into a pro atmosphere. These facilities and ticket prices are insane. ESPN announcers ripped Vanderbilt's administration yesterday during their game for not keeping up with Northwestern quarter of a Billion dollar facilities plan. Ridiculous. But none of that has anything to do with booing kids, unless you someone wants to argue that paying $4k makes it OK (and I appreciate and recognize that this was not your argument) . As for being a gentleman, gentlemen don't boo kids. Neither would a lady .
That shows how stupid ESPN is. The prestige of Vanderbilt is nearly unsurpassed, and they go on about that?

I never said I boo players. I have never been in trouble, and I hold several degrees from USC. I have been interviewed numerous times and received a number of awards in a career that has lasted close to 30 years. I have been in numerous leadership positions in several fields. In other words I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.
Well are you defending people booing players? If not, I am not sure I understand what point you were making . The topic is booing Jake .

Last edited:
Reactions: KayakCock
1. Maybe the coaches will hear 80,000 people voice their displeasure and maybe put in the QB that won the game and looked a lot better last weekend. Actually they won’t. They’ll be fine watching us suck and stand by phrases like “Jake is our guy” and “Jake battled”

2. Maybe the recruits were booing too. No one enjoys watching a 50 yard first half. Did you?

3. I don’t have a son but I have 3 daughters. If they suck at playing softball in the SEC, I would expect booing. I would expect it if they sign on to play college football in the SEC. in fact you’re going to hear a heck of a lot worse than than whether you play well or not. This isn’t church league or Rec league.

Our coaches get paid to play the best players to help us achieve the goal of winning. Ty Son Williams rushes for over 40 yards early in the game and gets 4 touches the rest of the way. Gets in for one play the next drive. Care to explain that?

Our backup QB doesn’t get one snap after leading the team to victory last week while our “starter” struggles. The coaching staff has earned every boo they get. They’ll head to the lake tomorrow.

4. The next phase will be empty seats. You’ll see plenty of people being adults about it. It’s called apathy. They won’t care. It’s coming.

5. Bull crap. They booed at Clemson when they couldn’t move the ball against Syracuse. They’ll be fine. Booing doesn’t cause the product on the field. The product on the field causes booing.
Another great post.

I wonder if Hilinski was watching, and if so what he thought about the fans booing our own?
Probably thinks he can replace Jake by the 5th game. These boos weren't all Jake's and everybody knows it. They're really BMac's and BOOM!'s. because they keep putting an inferior product on the field most weeks. If BOOM! thinks these boos are all Jake's he's projecting.

I think the boos were really directed at the coaches. What matters the most though is that administration take this booing seriously. People are going to boo more with their wallets.

This^^^

I never booed a player, but booed the coaches when we don't like their decisions....

Probably thinks he can replace Jake by the 5th game. These boos weren't all Jake's and everybody knows it. They're really BMac's and BOOM!'s. because they keep putting an inferior product on the field most weeks. If BOOM! thinks these boos are all Jake's he's projecting.

I’m beginning to think Joe Montana in his prime would not be allowed to replace Jake Bentley

Reactions: TheReelEss
You know who loudly boos their own team when they play poorly for long stretches? Auburn fans yesterday. Tennessee fans for the last decade. Georgia fans when Mark Ritch would drive them crazy. Florida fans when Muschamp looked like a clown (hey! we know that look). LSU fans when Les Miles couldn’t find an offense. Alabama fans when Mike Shula was getting blown out at home.

Passionate fans voice their displeasure when their team plays poorly. That’s fine, in fact, it’s good. It will not hurt recruiting. It will not make the current players play worse. It doesn’t make us look bad. Clemson fans never boo’d anyone? Of course they have. The alternative is that you become Vandy and everyone just stops caring about the football program and accepts being a loser.

As for being a gentleman, gentlemen don't boo kids.
Wait, what? Were there minors on the field yesterday? This is completely separate from the booing debate, but I wish our society would decide if college kids are adults or kids. When they protest in the street and vote, we're supposed to take them seriously, but when it comes to booing them or serving them alcohol, we have to treat them like fragile little children?

Always look forward to these threads every year. Where folks get offended that someone would boo anything wearing USC colors. How it may offend "the kids", otherwise known as the precious student-athlete. First off, sit back for a moment and add up all of the money it cost someone to have tickets, parking, and all the other costs associated to support Gamecock football. That tells you right there that this is a business. Nothing more, nothing less. The great majority of players couldn't dream of sniffing admittance to USC without the admission breaks given to athletes. Then have their hands held to graduation by countless tutors and advisors. Not to mention being treated like a king by the masses at large. And the coaches? Muschamp makes millions of dollars a year. His assistants make well into six figures. Some close to seven. But some of you folks want to treat all of the above like they are some youth league team that deserves unbridled support just because they might work up a sweat. Forget that. This is basically professional football without the label. And they charge a premium price to allow the fans to be a part of that on Saturdays. So if you are not getting a return on investment one has every right to boo until things change.

Last edited:
Can somebody please explain what having to spend (too much) money on tickets and expenses (a fair point) has to do with the morality of booing student athletes? Do any of you who think booing players does not affect them ever know a player? These kids are physical monsters but many have dealt with hardships (e.g. money) that the entitled ones here never had to overcome . All college kids are stressed out The pressure and scrutiny on football players is so much greater. They are not without fraility Yes, technically I shouldn't call them kids, but I'm old enough to.

These kids are physical monsters but many have dealt with hardships (e.g. money) that the entitled ones here never had to overcome . All college kids are stressed out

I am a first generation college graduate. I had to live in a single wide trailer in undergrad and graduate school and work 3 jobs to get through. This was in 2001, not 1986.

Now I am one of the “entitled ones here”. I overcame living in a $2,000 home to living in a $350,000 home by having a backbone, strong work ethic and not making excuses about piss poor performance.

Quit making excuses for why they can’t perform and exceed expectations. We have had plenty of players from here come from little and flourish.

I didn’t boo Jake or any of our players, but I was yelling for him to be yanked after that pitiful excuse of a pass on the interception. I did ultimately feel bad about that, but emotions do get the better of many of us. This too shall pass.

I often wondered why we put piss-poor product on the field. Now I know it is because we booed players while this group was in the womb and now we are seeing the results of that. Booing is better than chucking frozen water bottles, huh?

And you have a very attractive dog in your picture. Perhaps that is where all fans can find common ground and agree - dogs are fantastic creatures!

For years, Gamecock fans showed up and were just happy to be in the stands and support the team, win or lose. The last several coaches we've had, have all said that we need to change the "culture" in Columbia. We should no longer expect mediocrity.

So we tasted some success, and fans started to expect to win games. We're no longer satisfied with moral victories. The culture and expectations have changed, yet we're not getting the results we want to see. Fans get frustrated and this is their way of being vocal about the displeasure of the team's performance. I do believe a lot of it is directed towards the coaches and their decision making.

There's no reason this team shouldn't be able to compete for a division championship on a yearly basis. It's frustrating when fans invest a lot of time, money and effort to support this team and it's the same ole same ole.

I'm 6 hours away, so I only get to see a game or two per season in person. I will be there in 2 weeks, hoping we pull out a win against the Viles. I won't boo, because that's not my nature. However, I expect us to win this game. I believe our culture has changed, so how about the coaches put a better product on the field to keep up their part of the deal. It's a two-way street.

Wait, I was told all my life only Eagles fans boo. But it finally got them a Super Bowl. Anyway, and I feel like it happens a lot more than it used to, but CFB fans boo a lot. UGA fans, Tates, Bama (not that they have a reason) all boo when something happens they don’t like. Think they wouldn’t boo Bryant if he stayed and remained the starter and threw a few picks here and there? All that to say I don’t like it and don’t do it. I’ll rail the program or a player on here because they can do better, but no booing.

I’m more concerned about the overall culture and direction of this team. I’m sure Ryan knows unhappy fans will boo like it or not, but will the things lacking this year specifically deter his commitment? I sincerely hope not. We need him. He is a program changer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT