ADVERTISEMENT

BRANDON MCILWAIN TRANSFERRING

When Bentley decommited from Auburn, and committed to SC, I knew one of them would ultimately transfer. It just did not make sense to have 2 blue chip QB's in the same recruiting class, even though the plan it appears was to redshirt Bentley from the get go. Credit Bentley for coming in, working hard, and winning the job. Brandon apparently wasn't making the grade in baseball either. He's gonna have to choose one sport and commit to it full time, and I think baseball is what he is gonna have to choose.

Reactions: RaginRooster
I appreciate that he decided to be a Gamecock. I hate that it didn't work out for him here, but I sincerely hope that things work out for him wherever he ends up. Good luck to you BMac!

I think baseball is where he will make his mark, and where he will be drafted again and where he will get his future earnings, I'm really disappointed he was not in the lineup given some of our offensive difficulties and the positive MLB scouting reports seemed like a no brainer let him play and develop and get better and better at baseball.

He has to make some strides as a college QB, not having the WR's and our line did not help matters, but he is not a finished product as a QB.

I totally agree with you that he needs some work as a QB but I think that he has the intangibles that you really can't teach . Would much rather have a kid with those leadership and work ethic traits than a Jay Cutler type who has all the physical skills but nothing else . Good news for us is Jake seems to have both . Pray he doesn't get hurt or next year will be a disaster . Good news is it really opens the door for Joyner now . That could be the major silver lining .

Brandon will be fine. Truly classy kid. For him, he has a higher upside in baseball. I hope that he goes the JUCO route and enters the MLB draft. Hopefully gets quality playing time to show out. What many on this forum do not understand, while we are a premier SEC program, the level of talent probably is High A Ball at the level these kids play at best. While we put a number of players in the show, very few are there within 1-2 years. It takes lots of seasoning and organizational development. Good luck B-Mac.

Reactions: RaginRooster
This is likely baseball related decision.
Holbrook would not give Brandon (first or second round pick) a chance to play. With a team that is having offense issues it defies logic as to why he would not use him in some capacity.

Pretty sure it is because he couldn't hit in practice. When one at bat could cost you the game, I would have a hard time playing the guy that couldn't hit in practice. Not saying he can't hit, but he hasn't put the time in the other guys have, and they are just better prepared. He should be given a chance to show what he can do in practice, and that is where it ends. No different than for the other guys riding the bench. As always JMO.

Reactions: RickyRooster
Great young man who wanted to be a Gamecock. I wish him nothing but the best! My sincere hope is he is successful in whatever he chooses to do. Thank you for attending USC!

Pretty sure it is because he couldn't hit in practice. When one at bat could cost you the game, I would have a hard time playing the guy that couldn't hit in practice. Not saying he can't hit, but he hasn't put the time in the other guys have, and they are just better prepared. He should be given a chance to show what he can do in practice, and that is where it ends. No different than for the other guys riding the bench. As always JMO.
Many ofnthee prem
Holbrook would not give Brandon (first or second round pick) a chance to play. With a team that is having offense issues it defies logic as to why he would not use him in some capacity.
Baseball is a repetition sport. You step away and the rust will show. Being away from Fall instructional ball and not playing in a Summer league probably stunted his baseball development.

This is sad, but for the best. He wasn't as great on the hoof at the college level as his high school career indicated. It happens. He wasn't going to be a star at Penn State, either, as a QB at least.

He struck out almost every AB during scrimmages. Any contact he made was not productive contact. If you're going to get an out, at least make it a productive out. Also, he was, at best, the 5 best OF we have right now, and does not have the bat to compete in the SEC. With the kind of competition we play, it's very hard to crack a lineup when you aren't 100% devoted to it year round. TBH I was not impressed with what I saw from him in scrimmages this season, nor were many others who were out there each weekend.

Reactions: RickyRooster
Couldn't he have signed to play baseball out of high school? If so this is one example of when you should have
He struck out almost every AB during scrimmages. He was, at best, the 5 best OF we have right now, and does not have the bat to compete in the SEC. Sorry, but that's the facts. With the kind of competition we play, it's very hard to crack a lineup when you aren't 100% devoted to it year round. TBH I was not impressed with what I saw from him in scrimmages this season, nor were many others who were out there each weekend.

Well if he can't help us he was a huge miss as far
As
Recruiting is concerned

Couldn't he have signed to play baseball out of high school? If so this is one example of when you should have

Well if he can't help us he was a huge miss as far
As
Recruiting is concerned

Perhaps, but since he enrolled in the Spring of his Senior year, he forfeited his chance to be drafted out of high school. Unless he goes to a JUCO to play ball, he has to wait 2 more years before he can be drafted.

Perhaps, but since he enrolled in the Spring of his Senior year, he forfeited his chance to be drafted out of high school. Unless he goes to a JUCO to play ball, he has to wait 2 more years before he can be drafted.

Yeah that doesn't look like that will happen now. I thought he had a chance to sign out of high school I just couldn't remember for sure. Seemed like he had a great BA

Yeah that doesn't look like that will happen now. I thought he had a chance to sign out of high school I just couldn't remember for sure. Seemed like he had a great BA[/QUOTE
Brandon will be fine. Truly classy kid. For him, he has a higher upside in baseball. I hope that he goes the JUCO route and enters the MLB draft. Hopefully gets quality playing time to show out. What many on this forum do not understand, while we are a premier SEC program, the level of talent probably is High A Ball at the level these kids play at best. While we put a number of players in the show, very few are there within 1-2 years. It takes lots of seasoning and organizational development. Good luck B-Mac.
Also recognize that he probably would not have been a Gamecock but for the opportunity to pursue his dream of starting as a QB in the SEC which he fulfilled and gave his best shot.

I can't blame him. In this forum he was the second coming and in a few short games the shine wore off. He was in an impossible situation.

I wanted him to succeed as much as any QB we've ever had here, and he did show enough to get a chance before Jake, but, our OL situation was not his friend, and even when had time, he showed he need a lot of work as a passer. I suppose in hindsight signing a contract based on his HS potential was probably his best bet, but as we've seen, and discussed on here, he was even further from the Show, than being a college QB. Sucks, he was a great ambassador for the University, and I would've loved him to be great here. It also sucks (again) we didn't recruit for 2-3 years, and a true freshman QB was expected to be the Savior for the program that had no QB options. That was not his fault

Reactions: DarkCock
I think baseball is where he will make his mark, and where he will be drafted again and where he will get his future earnings, I'm really disappointed he was not in the lineup given some of our offensive difficulties and the positive MLB scouting reports seemed like a no brainer let him play and develop and get better and better at baseball.

He has to make some strides as a college QB, not having the WR's and our line did not help matters, but he is not a finished product as a QB.
You seem to be the only person who thinks that BM can hit college pitching. He has not given any indication of this to this date. Whom would you replace? We are loaded with outfielders, and he is apparently toward the bottom of the depth chart. There's no reason for Holbrook not to play him if he deserves to be playing. So unless Holbrook harbors some kind of secret dislike for BM, your speculations make no sense at all.

You seem to be the only person who thinks that BM can hit college pitching. He has not given any indication of this to this date. Whom would you replace? We are loaded with outfielders, and he is apparently toward the bottom of the depth chart. There's no reason for Holbrook not to play him if he deserves to be playing. So unless Holbrook harbors some kind of secret dislike for BM, your speculations make no sense at all.

I admit i do not follow baseball like football, but i read a lot, and I'm probably the best fantasy baseball player on this board :), I think Holbrook has under performed while a HC at South Carolina, so i do analyze his decisions and he has not earned the benefit of the doubt with me.

Holbrook inherited a program that he helped build that went to 3 straight CWS finals, and in 4 years has not reached Omaha and the kicker is those 4 years, Coastal Carolina won a NC in our same state, now that means his mis evaluated some, does it not?

We have the best pitching staff we have had in some time and we are 7-3 after 10 home games against UNCG, Charlotte, K State, Wright State, App State, averaging 4.5 runs a game against those guys, and maybe that is a preview for the 2017 CWS participants at Omaha, I don't think so.

I could give a rip about 30 at bats in spring practice, by pitchers that know a player inside and out since they are teammates, that is just me.

If Brandon is so bad why would he be looked at as a high MLB pick by the people that get paid to do such things.

Perfect Game national scouting coordinator Brian Sakowski, in article today, on Brandon transferring to a JUCO or community college to play baseball.

“He’s still a big-time upside type of baseball player,” Sakowski said. “If he were to transfer to a junior college and play right away this spring, I think there’d be a chance of him being a pretty high draft selection in June.”

That quote from guys like that is where i form my opinion, not on Holbrook decided this so it must be right logic.

Last edited:
Unfortunately with baseball you can't just "read a lot" to form an educated opinion on a player. You have to actually see the player perform. And quite simply he was not as impressive as he was touted to be. Is it because he was splitting time? Possibly. But as long as he was going to be splitting time, and competing with guys who were 100% with baseball, he was going to be behind the 8 ball when it came to gaining a starting spot. We have guys in front of him who are simply better. I hope he's able to compete wherever he ends up.

What irritates me is that now we are stuck, and can't fill his roster spot since the season has already started.

Reactions: Gamecock220
Unfortunately with baseball you can't just "read a lot" to form an educated opinion on a player.

Well a fellow poster asked where my opinion came from and I stated I read the professionals a lot, why cant one forma opinion based on the write ups of the people that do this for a living and watch the players in HS and at camps, etc.

I will take Perfect Game national scouting coordinator Brian Sakowski opinion over a message board poster.

I also basing my opinion on the writers at MLB.com who follow this stuff and are talking to scouts.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/159956406/brandon-mcilwain-kyler-murray-shift-draft-plan/

I will take MLB.com's opinion that he was a guy right on the outside of the top 50 of MLB draft prospects, based on his camp performances and professional baseball scouts opinions

They are going out an watching all these players all the time in person 365 days a year and they are good at it and they get paid well to do so.

Those opinions matter more to me then gamecock fan X observed and thinks this, I wont challenge gamecock fan X everyone is entitled to their opinion , but if they want to know where i got my opinion, its from the professionals who think he is quite the prospect and will advise their team to draft and pay him to play for them.

Call me crazy but I like it when we have players that will eventually get paid alot at the next level playing for us and developing and getting better and better, I have seen a correlation that leads to success for us on the field.

Last edited:
this was only a matter of when, not if as soon as his mother went on social media claiming her son was on the bench because of the coaches son played the same possition despite the fact her son was clearly no where near ready to play and the coaches son was light years ahead of him.

The fact remains that when he got here and was competing for spots against guys who are just as good, and quite honestly some are better than he, and those who could give 100% of their time to baseball, he has not panned out as the scouts thought he would. Will he at a smaller school? I hope so. But we are too stacked for someone who's splitting time between 2 sports to crack our starting 9, especially in the OF.

Reactions: atl-cock
this was only a matter of when, not if as soon as his mother went on social media claiming her son was on the bench because of the coaches son played the same possition ...

This is true. But there was some validity to her claim that BMac wasn't given the same chance as Bentley, based on supporting personnel and competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT