ADVERTISEMENT

Can we stop the expand the playoff talk??

10-2 Ohio State would have for sure. But you can’t have a 2 loss team in there, though they were probably more deserving than Cincy considering the comparative schedules.
The fact that they already had a home loss to a suspect Oregon team and got completely drilled by a now exposed Michigan team validates Ohio State's exclusion.

10-2 Ohio State would have for sure. But you can’t have a 2 loss team in there, though they were probably more deserving than Cincy considering the comparative schedules.
Deserving? Getting dragged by Michigan is deserving? I get Cincy’s schedule is easier, but they did go into South Bend and stop ND’s a$$.

Cincy isn’t one of the top 4 teams in America. We know that. But they were as deserving as any team in America that didn’t make it.

Who would you have put in instead of cincy that would have competed with Alabama better? I think the committee has done a great job of selecting the final 4. I can’t say they have ever really gotten it wrong.
I'd say that, as long as you get the absolute two best teams in there, you can't get it wrong.

The solution is don’t pay them. Let them decide not to go to college and see how much stock they have in the draft 3 years later. The schools offer them platforms, training, coaching, in addition to an education. There are PLENTY of people that still love football that would gladly take those scholarships and keep playing. The issue really is about 1-2% of the athletes.
I just don’t know what you do. I’d say make scholarships contingent on being available to play in every game for which you’re eligible, but as one poster noted you’ll just have kids faking injury, so how do you stop that? I just don’t know. How do you stop a senior who’s on his way out the door from opting out? You just can’t. I don’t know how you motivate somebody to do something they should naturally want to do.

I think they could’ve at least mustered an offensive touchdown. Cincy’s offense was abysmal.
Would be iffy with Olave opting out. They will be stronger next year with Stroud and Henderson having completed this season and a more experienced secondary.

You mean the 10-2 Ohio state that is down 2 touchdowns to Utah. Ohio state would have been beaten by 2+ touchdowns

• Haha
Reactions: HI Cock
Deserving? Getting dragged by Michigan is deserving? I get Cincy’s schedule is easier, but they did go into South Bend and stop ND’s a$$.

Cincy isn’t one of the top 4 teams in America. We know that. But they were as deserving as any team in America that didn’t make it.
Yeah, it’s a tough call. But you have to draw the line somewhere. If you put a 2 loss team in that didn’t win their conference over an undefeated team with a weaker schedule, doesn’t that set you up for considering 3 loss teams in the future? It’s all about wins and losses, then who and how you play. But if you don’t manage your own schedule effectively, that’s an indication that you are not worthy of consideration. OSU essentially got a pass on the Oregon loss and they knew they couldn’t lose another game and represent the conference. They lost and it cost them. It makes sense to me.

Reactions: rogue cock
You mean the 10-2 Ohio state that is down 2 touchdowns to Utah. Ohio state would have been beaten by 2+ touchdowns
Well, they don’t want to be playing in the Rose Bowl for one thing. For another, I’m just saying they would’ve done better against Alabama than Cincinnati did. I’m sure they would’ve at least scored one offensive touchdown.

Well, they don’t want to be playing in the Rose Bowl for one thing. For another, I’m just saying they would’ve done better against Alabama than Cincinnati did. I’m sure they would’ve at least scored one offensive touchdown.
Ohio State is down 24 players...including their top two recievers, Olave and Wilson and their best OT and DT, all who opted out.

I’m just skipping to the end since they already struggle to pick 4 & TV $/ ratings is the upper hand in virtually every case (except Notra Dame didn’t do their part this year so they had to give Cincy a pass but they will use this for the counter narrative next year. This will be the off season topic of the talking heads for the next few years to the point where the transfer portal becomes as normal as a park bench.

Would the results been any different if the next four were in? Notre Dame. OSU. Baylor and Ole Miss. SEC SEC. SEC
It will never stop until the mentally decayed fools...college football's carpetbaggers...get their wish. These hollow idiots and the yapping dogs and clapping seals that go along with them have been eroding college football for decades. It hasn't happened overnight. No, they work like termites.

Don't worry. Soon enough they'll give you 20 teams "conferences," and a 24 team playoff. That's the sort of thing Greg Sankey, and the rest of the teeming pile of maggots that don't really care about college football have in store. All the cretins that have gone along with this, many of which slither around on this board, could've realized we already have the NFL. Or maybe they did, but they wanted two of them.

It will never stop until the mentally decayed fools...college football's carpetbaggers...get their wish. These hollow idiots and the yapping dogs and clapping seals that go along with them have been eroding college football for decades. It hasn't happened overnight. No, they work like termites.

Don't worry. Soon enough they'll give you 20 teams "conferences," and a 24 team playoff. That's the sort of thing Greg Sankey, and the rest of the teeming pile of maggots that don't really care about college football have in store. All the cretins that have gone along with this, many of which slither around on this board, could've realized we already have the NFL. Or maybe they did, but they wanted two of them.
What exactly would you do different? I’m curious. Can’t say NIL. Your hands are tied with that one. The Supreme Court has ruled so no one is fighting it. Transfer portal? Playoff? What would you do differently.

Between this game and the game against Michigan…OSU might have scored a TD. But they would’ve given up 70.

Only to certain fans.
I guess our win in CLT was meaningless? Our whole season was meaningless as well?
Are the bowls any more or less meaningful than an expanded playoff? With the subject being a playoff for a title, I’d say the other bowls are in fact meaningless.

What exactly would you do different? I’m curious. Can’t say NIL. Your hands are tied with that one. The Supreme Court has ruled so no one is fighting it. Transfer portal? Playoff? What would you do differently.
That was a fool's decision by SCOTUS. I can't believe it, but now SCOTUS has a hand in the further degradation of college football. The transfer portal is another iceberg in the hull of college football. A player should have to sit out a year, unless their coach left the team. I never really cared for the two year rule if you transferred within your conference. The CFP was a non-starter with me. We already have an NFL, and I don't care if Division 1-AA did it. Good for them. If you wanted a national championship game, a Bowl Coaltion/BCS type solution where teams were released to play in the higher ranked team's conference bowl tie-in would've worked. But it's so much more than all of that. It's things like allowing an overtime, except possibly in the MNC game. It's destroying the Big East, which also rurnt a great basketball league. It's Nebraska in the Big 10 and WVU in the Big 12. It's the demise of the Southwest Conference and Tennessee wearing grey uniforms sometimes. It's just been building for decades and change and new things aren't always bad, but it usually is in college football.

But nobody listens to me when I tell them to get off my lawn.

Reactions: rogue cock
That was a fool's decision by SCOTUS. I can't believe it, but now SCOTUS has a hand in the further degradation of college football. The transfer portal is another iceberg in the hull of college football. A player should have to sit out a year, unless their coach left the team. I never really cared for the two year rule if you transferred within your conference. The CFP was a non-starter with me. We already have an NFL, and I don't care if Division 1-AA did it. Good for them. If you wanted a national championship game, a Bowl Coaltion/BCS type solution where teams were released to play in the higher ranked team's conference bowl tie-in would've worked. But it's so much more than all of that. It's things like allowing an overtime, except possibly in the MNC game. It's destroying the Big East, which also rurnt a great basketball league. It's Nebraska in the Big 10 and WVU in the Big 12. It's the demise of the Southwest Conference and Tennessee wearing grey uniforms sometimes. It's just been building for decades and change and new things aren't always bad, but it usually is in college football.

But nobody listens to me when I tell them to get off my lawn.
I’m sorry it wasn’t scotus, it’s the constitution. You simply can not tell people what they are worth. That applies to every profession across the board. Players should get that right to. Sorry you disagree with the American way.

Wait, so let me get this straight. You think their should not be overtime in college football? Games should end in a tie? I think college football has one of the best overtimes in sports. That’s just idiotic.

This is the worst argument for me. “People can’t beat Bama on the field so we need to change the rules.”
I see it differently. Alabama has a built in advantage where they can lose once and they are definitely still in. Heck they may have made it with a second loss if the SEC title game was close. They lost to an un ranked team and made it. Not sure any other program gets that benefit of the doubt.

This was an unintended consequence of the “best four teams.”

Why? 8 gets everyone with a legitimate shot at it.
Nope....how about #9 or #10 who beat one of the higher ranked teams?
How many does the NFL have?
With conference championships, that's 4 post season games if you make it to the end.
How many games causes lots of opt-outs and we get depleted teams?
Think deeper....

Would the results been any different if the next four were in? Notre Dame. OSU. Baylor and Ole Miss. SEC SEC. SEC
We can. But for the powers that be, it's all about money. They don't care what we want.

I’m sorry it wasn’t scotus, it’s the constitution. You simply can not tell people what they are worth. That applies to every profession across the board. Players should get that right to. Sorry you disagree with the American way.

Wait, so let me get this straight. You think their should not be overtime in college football? Games should end in a tie? I think college football has one of the best overtimes in sports. That’s just idiotic.
I've got a feeling the "American way" always aligns with the way you think. :rolleyes:

And yes, the possibility of a tie was one of the great things about college football. But you got your wish, and now the Cotton Bowl is meaningless. I'm sure someday the 48 team SEC will get 9 teams in the 28 team playoff where the top 12 seeds get two byes. Why don't y'all get to work on rurning Thanksgiving next? Within a decade you'll have us eating fried carp instead of turkey.

BTW, I would shred the Constitution if they'd just bring back the Bluebonnet Bowl.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Nope....how about #9 or #10 who beat one of the higher ranked teams?
How many does the NFL have?
With conference championships, that's 4 post season games if you make it to the end.
How many games causes lots of opt-outs and we get depleted teams?
Think deeper....
I have not seen a season where the 9th ranked team has any legitimate complaint that they are a national championship contender. I have seen plenty where the 5th ranked team can make that claim.

History is certainly on your side because no two loss team has ever made it….but if one does I think we all know it would be Alabama. The committee would argue they are “still one of the four best.”
Just my opinion Ben. I think there's a lot of Alabama hate out there. If Bama got in with 2 losses too many heads would explode.

So for over the previous 100 years college football and college athletics in general was un-American? What happened was several athletes who simply wanted to use college sports as a springboard to the professional leagues and didn't value an education or care about getting one, chose to sue since schools and conferences were making so much money. That is what a lot of the arguments in the courts were about, but the Supreme Court chose not to address that issue which was "pay-to-play" and capitulated by giving them NIL. Not all Supreme Court decisions are good ones.....see Plessy v. Ferguson.

EDIT: What the SC should have done is force professional sports to take off any restrictions for any person who is a legal adult.

Last edited:
I've got a feeling the "American way" always aligns with the way you think. :rolleyes:

And yes, the possibility of a tie was one of the great things about college football. But you got your wish, and now the Cotton Bowl is meaningless. I'm sure someday the 48 team SEC will get 9 teams in the 28 team playoff where the top 12 seeds get two byes. Why don't y'all get to work on rurning Thanksgiving next? Within a decade you'll have us eating fried carp instead of turkey.

BTW, I would shred the Constitution if they'd just bring back the Bluebonnet Bowl.
Interesting take. I thought you played the game to decide who is better. A tie in sports is the dumbest crap ever.

I’m also sorry that America has always been about the American dream and being free. That word free has a lot of different meaning. It includes no one being able to tell you what you are worth except the market itself. It’s the reason a profession can’t get together and decide what to charge their clients. I’m sorry adults making money off their name bothers you.

So for over the previous 100 years college football and college athletics in general was un-American? What happened was several athletes who simply wanted to use college sports as a springboard to the professional leagues and didn't value an education or care about getting one, chose to sue since schools and conferences were making so much money. That is what a lot of the arguments in the courts were about, but the Supreme Court chose not to address that issue which was "pay-to-play" and capitulated by giving them NIL. Not all Supreme Court decisions are good ones.....see Plessy v. Ferguson.
College football hasn’t always been big money. That was a 90’s movement. When coaches and schools started making millions, all while telling players they couldn’t profit off their name was wrong. At that point the system became “corrupt” so to say. If a athlete can make money off his name why shouldn’t he be able to do so. Other kids can work and make money what is the difference? I don’t agree with the transfer portal and that was a decision in my opinion that didn’t have to be made. Right or wrong scotus made it’s decision and college football will have to evolve with it.

If your asking my personal opinion, SCOTUS got it right. For the NCAA to tell players they can’t make money off their name while not compensating them monetarily is a conflict of interest at least. Tuition does not count that is not money in their pocket. I am all for cutting the scholarships and making them pay their way with the money they make off playing.

I believe it will get to a point where you will have not option but to pay them and have a salary cap type system to keep the talent at a reasonably distributed stance. That’s the only way not to have the same teams every year. As long as Georgia and Alabama are recruiting like they are nothing will be changed. Then it will be Someone else for a decade. There needs to be more roll over in my opinion.

College football hasn’t always been big money. That was a 90’s movement. When coaches and schools started making millions, all while telling players they couldn’t profit off their name was wrong. At that point the system became “corrupt” so to say. If a athlete can make money off his name why shouldn’t he be able to do so. Other kids can work and make money what is the difference? I don’t agree with the transfer portal and that was a decision in my opinion that didn’t have to be made. Right or wrong scotus made it’s decision and college football will have to evolve with it.

If your asking my personal opinion, SCOTUS got it right. For the NCAA to tell players they can’t make money off their name while not compensating them monetarily is a conflict of interest at least. Tuition does not count that is not money in their pocket. I am all for cutting the scholarships and making them pay their way with the money they make off playing.
Read my edit, which the Supreme Court could have easily done without messing with the "amateur" status of college sports.

Interesting take. I thought you played the game to decide who is better. A tie in sports is the dumbest crap ever.
It was one of the great things about college football, but someone waved something shiny in your face and you just had to have it. Do you get your salary in magic beans? You just wanted college football to be like the NFL, but you already had an NFL. Why couldn't y'all just leave decent people alone to enjoy one thing?

I’m also sorry that America has always been about the American dream and being free. That word free has a lot of different meaning. It includes no one being able to tell you what you are worth except the market itself. It’s the reason a profession can’t get together and decide what to charge their clients. I’m sorry adults making money off their name bothers you.
The American way is the crooked booster, but you just won't leave well enough alone. What will y'all rurn next? You're probably responsible for the DH as well.

Read my edit, which the Supreme Court could have easily done without messing with the "amateur" status of college sports.
I won’t argue with that at all and think it should be challenged. It will decrease the caliber of talent in college but it will level it across the top. People who “value” the commitment to the commitment process will not go for it. It will create more turnover.

For instance, a guy that thought he should improve really hits it off his first year. He will jump to the nfl in year 2. Or at that point make the student sign a contract to stay at least x number of years and In turn they get a free ride, training and coaching for free.

I believe it will get to a point where you will have not option but to pay them and have a salary cap type system to keep the talent at a reasonably distributed stance. That’s the only way not to have the same teams every year. As long as Georgia and Alabama are recruiting like they are nothing will be changed. Then it will be Someone else for a decade. There needs to be more roll over in my opinion.
A salary cap type system? It wouldn't matter, because you'd still have NIL. Plus, imagine the lawsuits if you're paying a football player 5 times what you're paying the women's soccer player.

I won’t argue with that at all and think it should be challenged. It will decrease the caliber of talent in college but it will level it across the top. People who “value” the commitment to the commitment process will not go for it. It will create more turnover.

For instance, a guy that thought he should improve really hits it off his first year. He will jump to the nfl in year 2. Or at that point make the student sign a contract to stay at least x number of years and In turn they get a free ride, training and coaching for free.
Scholarship are for one year only regardless.....none are multi-year. If a 19-year old thinks he's good enough.....more power to him. But if he fails, he has to live with that decision. I am perfectly fine with that.

The American way is the crooked booster, but you just won't leave well enough alone. What will y'all rurn next? You're probably responsible for the DH as well.
Things always change. Nothing ever stays the same. That’s the one constant in history. But I get it, you are just someone who doesn’t like change period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT