ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - Pres. by Herring Insurance - 1/24 (Junior day visitors, remaining 2019s)

W

Wes Mitchell

59a97da6aa279-Carolina%20Confidential.png

** As Chris mentioned last week in The Insider Report, South Carolina is set to host another strong crop of underclassmen for a junior day on Saturday. The list will, of course, continue to change but I've added onto Chris' initial list of expected visitors here:

Roswell (Ga.) 2020 TE John Copenhaver
Brentwood (Tenn.) Ravenwood 2021 TE Jake Briningstool
Franklin (Tenn.) 2022 OT Fisher Anderson

** Three-star class of 2019 cornerback Dequanteous Watts, who named South Carolina his favorite after taking an official visit to Columbia over the weekend, is set to take his second official visit of the process this weekend. Watts initially was set to official to Oregon but now will go to Louisville this weekend.

There's also a chance that Watts officials to Maryland during the final weekend of the recruiting calendar before National Signing Day. Watts is someone that Carolina can definitely land if they push for him. He's set to announce his decision sometime during the first week of February.

** With Florida State finally offering Mississippi State three-star OT commit Darius Washington, that's where I'd predict Washington is likely headed after he didn't sign during the early signing period. South Carolina has been in it for a long time, but I'd guess the Seminoles are too much here. As Chris mentioned previously, you could see South Carolina make a move in on Hampton (Ga.) Lovejoy three-star OL William Rogers.

** Perhaps the most interesting recruitment to follow down the stretch of the process will be that of four-star safety Jammie Robinson. I know some will contend that the writing is on the wall with Robinson now telling the media that he's not visiting South Carolina this weekend. I think the best course of action here is to just let this one play out...

News out of Robinson's camp has been few and far between as of late, but I think it's safe to say that Auburn did a least make some sort of move on his official visit two weekends ago. Robinson took an official to Tennessee this past weekend, but I don't expect the Vols to be the pick. Kentucky is still lurking, I suppose. Robinson is still in touch with the South Carolina staff and at this point I still haven't changed my long-standing Forecast to South Carolina. We'll be tracking it closely, though, for sure.

** Chris mentioned Wednesday that new defensive line coach John Scott Jr. was by Conway High school to watch class of 2020 four-star SDE/DT Tonka Hemingway play basketball Wednesday night. I don't have an exact date yet, but I'm told by someone in Hemingway's camp that they plan to be back in Columbia "soon" to tour the new football operations center.

In case you missed it, I put in a Forecast for South Carolina with Hemingway a few weeks ago, based on what I'm hearing out of the area. Just to reiterate, Hemingway is definitely a priority for South Carolina.

** A quick leftover note from my chat with Luke Doty following his visit last weekend. Doty has sort of grabbed the torch from Ryan Hilinski as far as recruiting others to join him in Columbia and he's a kid that pays attention to the other prospects that South Carolina is recruiting.

I asked Doty for his thoughts on new wide receiver commit Da'Qon Stewart after Doty watched him on film: "Dude, he's a playmaker. That's definitely one of the top targets I'll be throwing to in a few years. He's definitely a great athlete. He's definitely a weapon that we're going to use."

Another Carolina Podcast - Shilo Sanders, John Scott Jr., recruiting visitors, and more

ALSO: more episodes | GC Radio app: App Store - Google Play |

Subscribe to GCR Podcast: RSS feed - iTunes - PlayerFM - SoundCloud- Stitcher -iHeartRadio - Spreaker - YouTube - Spotify

Today’s Carolina Confidential is brought to you by Herring Insurance Services. Call, email, or PM Gamecock Central member Brent Herring today to discuss your home and auto insurance needs.

Located in Lexington but serving all of the Carolinas
803-356-0763
Brent@BrentHerring.com
@BHerring06

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News