ADVERTISEMENT

CBS: ranking coaching hires

Ok, describe for me what happens in practice. What portion of practice is devoted to ST? Do they ever run live action with ST? Do they teach any techniques in practice? Does the ST coach (or can he) analyze the kickers' and punters' techniques and make changes?
Have you ever participated in a football practice?

13 years worth, including 4 years in college. We also had 3 a day practices in summer camp and spring practice was a full month, not the limited number they have now. What about you?
And in all of that you never practiced special teams. We practiced in HS even though we never had anyone worth a crap kicking off. There was focus on angles and getting off blocks. A lot of the underclassmen really got more out of that than they did drills since they weren’t in game runs.

And in all of that you never practiced special teams. We practiced in HS even though we never had anyone worth a crap kicking off. There was focus on angles and getting off blocks. A lot of the underclassmen really got more out of that than they did drills since they weren’t in game runs.
Of course we practiced ST. I never said we didn't. We did not however spend 1/3 of practice time on them as some of you have suggested as practice time is too valuable and needs to be spent where you get the most benefit. Also, never ran live drills on STs, except possibly in spring practice as the risk of injury was greater than any benefit gained. It was mostly walk-throughs and mostly on Thursdays and Fridays.

Those things you mentioned regarding getting off blocks, etc are practiced in other areas all during practice and are essentially the same, so there was no need to waste valuable practice time replicating that in STs. Since the snapper, holder (also punter in our case), and the kicker only played those positions they could practice together during practice when everyone else is practicing O and D.

Not trying to be a SA, just curious - when your kicker was not "worth a crap", did you blame the ST coach? Also, in practice did your underclassmen not practice with the rest of the team such as having the second team D going against the first team O, etc? Didn't they participate in all the blocking, tackling, passing, and outside drills?

33% of punts are fair caught -
Who recruited the players? Lack of talent was one of the reasons his teams declined. Who decided the systems the players were to play in?
We have had pretty high recruiting classes so the talent is theoretically there. What schemes would have made us better?

Maybe it is lack of coaching? Nah thats crazy. What is developing talent besides having them execute better?

It is insane that you are willing to die on the hill that coaches are not responsible for execution.

33% of punts are fair caught -

We have had pretty high recruiting classes so the talent is theoretically there. What schemes would have made us better?

Maybe it is lack of coaching?
Nah thats crazy. What is developing talent besides having them execute better?

It is insane that you are willing to die on the hill that coaches are not responsible for execution.
Contradict yourself much, do you? You're arguing both sides of the fence at the same time.

What schemes would have made a difference from 2-8 to 8-2? Who is responsible for coaching the schemes? The players have to learn them on youtube?

So if you paint a pretty formation in the sand, it will give you six?

I cant believe you are convincing yourself you are right on this.

So in theory, since Beamer and co knows Lincoln Rileys + Brady's Scheme, then he should get Lincoln Rileys results, right? Since its all on scheme not execution

Of course we practiced ST. I never said we didn't. We did not however spend 1/3 of practice time on them as some of you have suggested as practice time is too valuable and needs to be spent where you get the most benefit. Also, never ran live drills on STs, except possibly in spring practice as the risk of injury was greater than any benefit gained. It was mostly walk-throughs and mostly on Thursdays and Fridays.

Those things you mentioned regarding getting off blocks, etc are practiced in other areas all during practice and are essentially the same, so there was no need to waste valuable practice time replicating that in STs. Since the snapper, holder (also punter in our case), and the kicker only played those positions they could practice together during practice when everyone else is practicing O and D.

Not trying to be a SA, just curious - when your kicker was not "worth a crap", did you blame the ST coach? Also, in practice did your underclassmen not practice with the rest of the team such as having the second team D going against the first team O, etc? Didn't they participate in all the blocking, tackling, passing, and outside drills?
In HS I think the expectation is that most kickers aren’t worth a crap. Almost all of us attempted it at some point and our coach absolutely tried to get people to use some different techniques but it just wasn’t a skill any of us had. Of course we also didn’t have anyone who really worked with us on it. The HS staff was really just two teachers and the schools AD helped out by a couple guys who played the year before and weren’t doing anything.

For practice we didn’t really do a lot of 1s vs 2s. We did 1s vs 1s and 2s would sub in and out on some of the reps. Everyone participated in drills but once we started running plays the guys who weren’t likely to play often went to the other end and ran more drills with the volunteer kids. This was still in the time of the wedge so we didn’t do live wedge busting drills but they did make those guys practice getting into the wedge and they would have them simulate live punt drills and kick coverage with our backup RB who was also the returner.

We practiced in HS even though we never had anyone worth a crap kicking off.
So did our team...at full speed. I was the scout team punter. Practiced on-side kicks as well.
We also watched film of STs...both our team and the opponent if there was something the coaches wanted us to see. You can bet any Div-1 STC is watching film.

So in theory, since Beamer and co knows Lincoln Rileys + Brady's Scheme, then he should get Lincoln Rileys results, right? Since its all on scheme not execution
If that's what you think, you're in for some disappointment.

No one here suggested STs were 1/3 of practice. It is 1 of 3 aspects to the game.

In HS I think the expectation is that most kickers aren’t worth a crap. Almost all of us attempted it at some point and our coach absolutely tried to get people to use some different techniques but it just wasn’t a skill any of us had. Of course we also didn’t have anyone who really worked with us on it. The HS staff was really just two teachers and the schools AD helped out by a couple guys who played the year before and weren’t doing anything.

For practice we didn’t really do a lot of 1s vs 2s. We did 1s vs 1s and 2s would sub in and out on some of the reps. Everyone participated in drills but once we started running plays the guys who weren’t likely to play often went to the other end and ran more drills with the volunteer kids. This was still in the time of the wedge so we didn’t do live wedge busting drills but they did make those guys practice getting into the wedge and they would have them simulate live punt drills and kick coverage with our backup RB who was also the returner.
That all sounds pretty reasonable given your situation. I went to a pretty big HS with more coaches and we didn't do live ST drills, nor did we in college during the season. Just too risky with very little to gain. Pre season we ran a lot of 1s vs 1s and 2s vs 2s. During the season it was mostly 1s vs 2s. Also, many of the freshmen served as a scout team for the starters and ran the opponents plays against them.

No one here suggested STs were 1/3 of practice. It is 1 of 3 aspects to the game.
You didn't say 1 of 3 aspects of the game. You said "... 1/3 of what happens in a game." One third is one third, not 1 of 3 unequal parts. Now you are backtracking to re-characterize what you said.

Even if it’s only one formation per group that’s around 9 formations to coach and perfect - probably more formations than a OC/DC put in their playbooks

I think too many people are trying to overinflated the STC position, but I also think it's more important than others would haveyou believe. Emotions have taken over the debate.

But, I would not agree with the above comments that 9 formations are more than an OC and DC put in their playbook.

I think too many people are trying to overinflated the STC position, but I also think it's more important than others would haveyou believe. Emotions have taken over the debate.

But, I would not agree with the above comments that 9 formations are more than an OC and DC put in their playbook.
How many formations did we consistently run all year last year?

You didn't say 1 of 3 aspects of the game. You said "... 1/3 of what happens in a game." One third is one third, not 1 of 3 unequal parts. Now you are backtracking to re-characterize what you said.
You’re the one making claims People said 1/3 of practice. You still stand by that?

Unless it’s an offense run by Muschamp...

You’re the one making claims People said 1/3 of practice. You still stand by that?
Absolutely! Based on what YOU SAID. If its 1/3 of the game the only logical conclusion any semi intelligent person could come to is that you spend 1/3 of practice time on it.

Absolutely! Based on what YOU SAID. If its 1/3 of the game the only logical conclusion any semi intelligent person could come to is that you spend 1/3 of practice time on it.
WRONG. More than one poster said it is 1 of 3. You’re the one who zeroed in o practice, who zeroed in on FG formations and when posts were provided showing your assertion was wrong you dismissed them.

WRONG. More than one poster said it is 1 of 3. You’re the one who zeroed in o practice,

Not sure about the practice idea, but to be fair, you did say it was "1/3 of what happens in a game" and bluffton not only said it was 1/3 of the game, but also that "everyone but JGH" believes its 1/3 of the game.

I personally can go with it being 1 of 3, but not 1/3 of the game.

Not sure about the practice idea, but to be fair, you did say it was "1/3 of what happens in a game" and bluffton not only said it was 1/3 of the game, but also that "everyone but JGH" believes its 1/3 of the game.

The backtracking and contradiction going on is incredible isn't it?

WRONG. More than one poster said it is 1 of 3. You’re the one who zeroed in o practice, who zeroed in on FG formations and when posts were provided showing your assertion was wrong you dismissed them.
You proved absolutely nothing except for your complete ignorance of the game. A post was provided showing some supposed formations, yet you nor anyone else can provide any instance when anything other that the basic standard formations have been used in many years. If no one uses it, it doesn't exist. You know nothing about STs and it shows.

I guess people are trying to read between the lines, instead of looking at the comment for what it was. I don’t think anyone would actually believe 1/3 of the plays in a game are ST plays. I guess it’s just the nature of forums for people to look for a word or sentence to pounce upon...

I guess people are trying to read between the lines, instead of looking at the comment for what it was. I don’t think anyone would actually believe 1/3 of the plays in a game are ST plays. I guess it’s just the nature of forums for people to look for a word or sentence to pounce upon...

That may be. Its also an easy slip between 1/3 and 1 of 3, but they mean very different things. You, I think, only said it once, and it may have been just a wording issue. (Ive done the same plenty of times) But the other guy repeated it and doubled down on it.

Reactions: WingchunCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT