ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson fan in peace.

Clemson7

Sep 30, 2002
I just found out about the missing student found dead. I saw in another thread posters talking about a fake Uber. As a 43 year old father how does that happen? Do they sign up for a fake Uber account? Forgive me for being uneducated on this as I’ve only used Uber twice myself.

This is a big fear of mine because I read up on human trafficking last year and I have a 12 year old daughter. Since reading several articles I won’t let her out of my site in public.

This is beyond sad. We live in a time that we can’t send our kids off to college without worry. Prayers for this family. Fan allegiance out the window during times like this.

I can't imagine what the parents and family are going thru . I can't understand why the Columbia PD does not have a 24/7 Sub station in 5 points with the past history of that area .I would never ever use a Uber driver ever . I feel so bad for her family . The guy that killed is one sorry POS ! I hope somebody kills him in prison . I''l bet anything he has a long arrest record

I can't imagine what the parents and family are going thru . I can't understand why the Columbia PD does not have a 24/7 Sub station in 5 points with the past history of that area .I would never ever use a Uber driver ever . I feel so bad for her family . The guy that killed is one sorry POS ! I hope somebody kills him in prison . I''l bet anything he has a long arrest record
Dude, I Uber every damned day here in Charlotte. Got two good friends that are Uber drivers. Ive ridden with one of my good buddys on several occaisions while he was Ubering. 1.) Most had no problem with me as a "Trainee". 2.) A few did, hence we respected such and casually declined their ride request. 3.) As a trainee passenger in an Uber car here in Charlotte, NC, I have personally witnessed some crazy things when it comes to drunk Uber passengers!!!

Regarding OP's Fake Uber Question...

In the videos I've seen, Samantha Josephson was standing outside the bar waiting on her Uber. A car pulled up, which she thought was her Uber, and she got in.

It may or may not have been the same model and color as her actual Uber she was waiting on. It also may or may not have had the stickers on the car to make it look like an Uber (which would go a long way to tell if this was premeditated). Finally, it is possible, (from the video that I saw) that the suspect was just pulling into the parking space, when she got into his car. He may not have planned any of it, and it was only at that moment that he committed a crime of opportunity which escalated to murder.

I have heard of people putting fake stickers on their car to make them look like an Uber. Ususlly, people get in those cars by mistake and end up getting robbed.

Not enough facts about this investigation have come out yet. So, we don't know if this was a fake Uber that was out to deceive her into getting in the car, or just a 21 year old who had too much to drink, didn't pay enough attention, and accidentally got into the wrong car. Regardless of premeditation, the person responsible deserves the same in return.

For anyone getting into a ride sharing autombile, It's important that you check the vehicles color, make, and model, as well as license plate number and driver's name before you get in the vehicle. Better to be overly cautious when you're getting into someone's vehicle.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Get your concealed carry permit and carry it with you. It's a crazy world out there. Can't take chances

I agree and everyone should listen to you. Had mine for 8 yrs. The only problem is in this situation, if she had been out drinking then carrying is illegal while in a bar or restaurant if consuming.

Last edited:
To OP: in all likelihood this was not an Uber driver. This was a predator who was driving around targeting people who were looking for an Uber. In no way blaming the victim, but people who have been drinking and are looking for the Uber they’ve called are vulnerable and it’d be so easy to mistake a car that literally pulls up to you and motions for you to get inside as the Uber you’ve called, especially if it’s a similar make and model. Couple that with the person possibly being less than 100% sober and just wanting to get home as quickly as possible, and it’s really recipe for disaster.

At first glance you’d think this would be something that only girls who were by themselves would be vulnerable to, but then I actually had a male friend of mine make the exact same mistake and get robbed because of it. Truly lucky that that’s all that happened. Scary, scary stuff.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Dude, I drive for UBER and I'll be the first to tell you that it's safe.Don't slam UBER because of this. The driver and the rider are both supposed to identify themselves.

Dude, I drive for UBER and I'll be the first to tell you that it's safe.Don't slam UBER because of this. The driver and the rider are both supposed to identify themselves.

There are ways safety could be enhanced though, especially in areas like Five Points.

-Designated pick up area where the app forces you to go to be picked up. Monitored by police or hell even pay students to come and monitor.
-Barcode on the car that rider can scan to make sure it matches.
-App forces you to pick a color for a light in the dash of the car, you make sure it matches.

Cmon, @pepsicock... you keep posting this but you don't bother to check facts. There is a police substation at 2123 Devine St.

Did you get a parking ticket or traffic ticket from the Columbia PD?? You seem to take every chance you get to blast them. These people put their lives on the line every day to try to protect you, me and all those in the Columbia area. Nobody's perfect, and if you had a problem with one policeman, quit judging them all by that one.

And no, I am not a policeman, have any relatives that are still policemen, and only one friend in the Lexington County Sheriff force.

Reactions: midline
@Silverspur02, I have no problems with the police .My cousin is a Richland County Sheriff Deputy. Just stating the fact that 5 Points needs to put a police 24/7 Police Sub station in that area . As far as as Uber goes there cars need to be more identifiable on there cars that's all . I apologize if I sounded that way about the police .

Reactions: TigManinSC
Get your concealed carry permit and carry it with you. It's a crazy world out there. Can't take chances
I'm a big advocate of responsible concealed carry. That would not include while bar hopping at 2am. The most obvious step this young lady could have taken to protect herself was to not be out drinking after midnight. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying it, but our parents' and grandparents' old saying about nothing good happening after midnight is not that far from the truth. There are a lot of bad things that could have happened to this young lady that night: This just happened to be the worst possible outcome.

Very saddened by this senseless violence. Prayers for the girl's family and friends. I agree Uber needs to improve security measures, and individuals need to be more cautious. Too many of these stories.

Uber drivers have been assaulted, robbed, and murdered. Good people trying to earn an honest living. Prayers for them, their friends and family also.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Yup....the app has a picture of the driver and plate number of the car. Ever UBER ride I've had, the drivers were exceptional. Almost certain this lady was impaired and did not use the app to check the ID of her assumed driver. And the suspect likely was just in the right place at the right time. The original intentions of the suspect are a mystery at this time.

I'm a big advocate of responsible concealed carry. That would not include while bar hopping at 2am. The most obvious step this young lady could have taken to protect herself was to not be out drinking after midnight. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying it, but our parents' and grandparents' old saying about nothing good happening after midnight is not that far from the truth. There are a lot of bad things that could have happened to this young lady that night: This just happened to be the worst possible outcome.
Especially alone... like another poster said, stay together.

FGF's most unnecessary post of all time.
Nope, yours was.
People use UBER and Lyft all the time when needing a ride home.
They both have security features built into the apps that are designed to prevent the unfortunate.
People out drinking are encouraged to use those services to avoid DUIs and other hazards. We should be thankful of those that do. The ride sharing apps have likely saved lives but transporting impaired people home.

Unfortunately, the apps do not prevent people from getting into cars that are not associated with their businesses.

Reactions: nc38 and Jpcooper
Nope, yours was.
People use UBER and Lyft all the time when needing a ride home.
They both have security features built into the apps that are designed to prevent the unfortunate.
People out drinking are encouraged to use those services to avoid DUIs and other hazards. We should be thankful of those that do. The ride sharing apps have likely saved lives but transporting impaired people home.

Unfortunately, the apps do not prevent people from getting into cars that are not associated with their businesses.
That's the way it works in a perfect world but show a little compassion in place of the lack of judgment analogy in cases like this is my point. People hit by cars don't need someone to point out not to step in front of a moving car too.

Reactions: rogue cock
@Silverspur02, I have no problems with the police .My cousin is a Richland County Sheriff Deputy. Just stating the fact that 5 Points needs to put a police 24/7 Police Sub station in that area . As far as as Uber goes there cars need to be more identifiable on there cars that's all . I apologize if I sounded that way about the police .

@pepsicock... Read my post before blindly answering.

THERE IS A POLICE SUBSTATION AT 2123 DEVINE ST. THAT IS IN 5 POINTS

Reactions: DeepfriedCock
Look, nobody cares about UBER safety lessons or what this beautiful young lady did supposedly wrong she's been murdered for Pete's sake.
Nobody is blaming the victim for this heinous act. But the OP expressed natural concern as a father of a daughter who will likely be heading off to college in some years. As a father of boy her same age, I have the same concerns. I think it's a pretty important subject to discuss. We can mourn her loss, seek justice and appropriate punishment for the scumbag who killed her, while also acknowledging some common-sense measures and lessons-learned to pass on to our kids who will be heading off to college some day.

She should have used the UBER app to verify her driver. If she had done that one thing, none of this would have happened.
Perhaps, but we really don't know about what happened yet to make that determination. Regardless, trusting somebody who may have been inebriated to take logical and common-sense measures to protect herself isn't realistic. IF she was intoxicated, once she was by herself on a curb at 2am in the morning, her opportunity to be safe had largely passed.

Look, nobody cares about UBER safety lessons or what this beautiful young lady did supposedly wrong she's been murdered for Pete's sake.
Right. A person putting themselves into a bad situation by not acting properly should not factor into the horrible consequences that resulted from it. Silly post.

Right. A person putting themselves into a bad situation by not acting properly should not factor into the horrible consequences that resulted from it. Silly post.

Does it excuse the horrific act? Of course not. And this guy should be sent to "ole sparky" at the first possible moment. But one also must do their due diligence in this day and time. You can't trust anyone. Can't trust some you know, much less someone you don't. Staying with a pack is the wisest decision

Nobody is blaming the victim for this heinous act. But the OP expressed natural concern as a father of a daughter who will likely be heading off to college in some years. As a father of boy her same age, I have the same concerns. I think it's a pretty important subject to discuss. We can mourn her loss, seek justice and appropriate punishment for the scumbag who killed her, while also acknowledging some common-sense measures and lessons-learned to pass on to our kids who will be heading off to college some day.
Agree my friend and I'm sure if she had to do it over she might have been more careful but all the warning talk we give to our kids is meaningless in particular situations when they get on their own. I'm sure all college kids get that talk sometimes at home or even at orientation...I did. Pointing out the obvious is a little late but I know the poster meant no harm. This kind of stuff just makes me beyond sad and pissed. It's a parent's most dreading phone call.

Does it excuse the horrific act? Of course not. And this guy should be sent to "ole sparky" at the first possible moment. But one also must do their due diligence in this day and time. You can't trust anyone. Can't trust some you know, much less someone you don't. Staying with a pack is the wisest decision
A lot of young women would be alive today if they did midline you're right but kids have a terrible case of "youngness" and never think it could happen to them. Natalie Holloway would be alive today if her pack would have looking out for her but too often the "pack" is busy doing their own thing. So so sad and disturbing my friend.

That's the way it works in a perfect world but show a little compassion in place of the lack of judgment analogy in cases like this is my point..
No one knows for sure what happened unless LE releases the details. I'm not showing dis-compassion, but rather defending UBER from comments of people who don't understand how it works. Some of you need to chill out and consider your own advice.

Exactly. His post was the silly one, if that wasnt clear. Someone dying at the hands of another is a tragic event, but it is a good time to educate people on ways they can reduce their own (or their loved ones') risk in similar situations. She put herself in a high risk situation and it cost her the ultimate price. Those horrible acts are not her fault, but putting herself in a place where it could happen is.

I just found out about the missing student found dead. I saw in another thread posters talking about a fake Uber. As a 43 year old father how does that happen? Do they sign up for a fake Uber account? Forgive me for being uneducated on this as I’ve only used Uber twice myself.

This is a big fear of mine because I read up on human trafficking last year and I have a 12 year old daughter. Since reading several articles I won’t let her out of my site in public.

This is beyond sad. We live in a time that we can’t send our kids off to college without worry. Prayers for this family. Fan allegiance out the window during times like this.
They didn't open a fake Uber account, they just pulled over to someone obviously waiting on an Uber and presented themselves as such. One must be diligent and make sure the type of vehicle matches what is stated on the app and ask them their name. I think the app shows the license plate number, too. It was such a tragedy.

There is a police station in Five Points - 1/2 block east of Harden on Devine.

Reactions: pepsicock
When using uber for safety reasons it's simple. The driver should know your name and the address you are going to. If they can't tell you those 2 things don't get in the car.

Agree my friend and I'm sure if she had to do it over she might have been more careful but all the warning talk we give to our kids is meaningless in particular situations when they get on their own. I'm sure all college kids get that talk sometimes at home or even at orientation...I did. Pointing out the obvious is a little late but I know the poster meant no harm. This kind of stuff just makes me beyond sad and pissed. It's a parent's most dreading phone call.
I hear you. As a parent, its terrifying releasing our kids out into the world and we walk a careful line between being over-protective and not protective enough. And you are right that when it comes to giving advise to teenagers who head off to college, we never know for sure what they will retain. But that shouldn't scare us away from advising them properly and using incidents like this to point out that we dont just give them advise to curb their fun, but that there are very real and important consequences to the decisions we make. It's also important not to wait until they are already grown to instill that message.

Last edited:
I hear you. As a parent, its terrifying releasing our kids out into the world and we walk a careful line between being over-protective and not protective enough. And you are right that when it comes to giving advise to teenagers who head off to college, we never know for sure what they will retain. But that shouldn't scare us away from advising them properly and using incidents like this to point out that we dont just give them advise to curb their fun, but that there are very real and important consequences to the decisions we make. It's also important not to wait until they are already grown to instill that message.
Agree

I guess I look harmless so I have been mistaken for an uber driver on several occasions. I work on college campuses a fair amount and at Carolina, C of C and clempsun I had students approach my car thinking I was their uber and actually ask me. It happens easily enough. I hate this happened and I can't imagine the agony her family is enduring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT