ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson vs ND is basically ACC Championship Game

ND already played and beat Wake, Pitt, FSU, Syracuse, and VT.

Because ND is "Independent" but basically plays a ACC schedule we are subject to this.

if you think about it.
Yep. Been saying this for a couple weeks. Sets up perfect for Clemson (and ND for that matter). Play no one all year and face no one until the NCG, while your competitors beat highly ranked teams with elite offensive and defensive talent (I'm talking about Bama and UGA).

Get used to it! Thanks again ESPN, your selection show interview with Dabo managed to nausiate me once again!
Then to further the rumbling in my stomach, they interview Chip Kelly and don't have the guts to ask how he feels getting into the playoff without having to play in a conference championship, I guess they ESPN just loves to make everyone feel comfortable!

The acc is not good enough for ND to join their conference. ND would go backwards
They already play 5 of those scrubs to get where they are, I don't think a few more is going to hurt their reputation!

Then to further the rumbling in my stomach, they interview Chip Kelly and don't have the guts to ask how he feels getting into the playoff without having to play in a conference championship, I guess they ESPN just loves to make everyone feel comfortable!

Chip is at UCLA. Brian coaches Notre Dame.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
They already play 5 of those scrubs to get where they are, I don't think a few more is going to hurt their reputation!

Not arguing to argue, (promise) but look back at what happened to FSU when they joined the ACC. That was their death sentence. I was a young buck when that happened and an old, die hard college football fan said those exact words to me. It worked out good for them at first but eventually they started playing down to the ACC level as predicted and look where they are now. I think the old man was right.

Not arguing to argue, (promise) but look back at what happened to FSU when they joined the ACC. That was their death sentence. I was a young buck when that happened and an old, die hard college football fan said those exact words to me. It worked out good for them at first but eventually they started playing down to the ACC level as predicted and look where they are now. I think the old man was right.
they won a national championship 4 years ago. they will be back and just fine

Reactions: Goodgollymissmolly
Are you thinking of Miami? Miami has done nothing since they joined. FSU won all three of their titles as ACC members.

Reactions: Carolina4
Are you thinking of Miami? Miami has done nothing since they joined. FSU won all three of their titles as ACC members.

Don’t let facts get in the way of Conkrete. He’s stubborn as a mule and if he says it hurt them it hurt them.

All the while he’ll forget how teams in other conferences were as bad as they are but won’t say it has to do with being a member of the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc...all have had really bad years during the same time FSU was in the ACC. FSU just ended the longest bowl streak in the country. That means all of these teams had a losing record since they did.

No sir. I remember it vividly. It was FSU he was talking about. (the old man) I thought he was crazy at the time because FSU was at the literal height of their power and that was when they were scoring TD's at a clip of around 2 minutes on offense. Remember that?

Anyway, they joined the ACC and crushed everyone for ....I forget how many years and then playing the soft ACC schedule eventually got the best of them and they started playing down to the level of competition. To be fair, other factors were involved too, like Bowden aging, etc....no dynasty can go on forever. Before joining the ACC they took on anybody. Home or away. They didn't care. They were tough as nails.

Don’t let facts get in the way of Conkrete. He’s stubborn as a mule and if he says it hurt them it hurt them.

All the while he’ll forget how teams in other conferences were as bad as they are but won’t say it has to do with being a member of the SEC. Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc...all have had really bad years during the same time FSU was in the ACC. FSU just ended the longest bowl streak in the country. That means all of these teams had a losing record since they did.

I didn't really follow your thought process. (open invitation to zing me, I know) Clemdent said FSU won all 3 of their titles while in the ACC. So I can see where the confusion is. Yes, they won all 3 of their titles while in the ACC. Clemdent is obviously a tiger fan and I like him. He's alright. I'm not sure if he realizes that he kinda made all of our points about the ACC. FSU didn't win it all until they joined the ACC. Easier road to the championship. No question about it. On the other hand, I do think the old man was right in the end. (the old man, not me) I don't understand what the SEC has to do with it? I'm sorry, I don't follow.

I didn't really follow your thought process. (open invitation to zing me, I know) Clemdent said FSU won all 3 of their titles while in the ACC. So I can see where the confusion is. Yes, they won all 3 of their titles while in the ACC. Clemdent is obviously a tiger fan and I like him. He's alright. I'm not sure if he realizes that he kinda made all of our points about the ACC. FSU didn't win it all until they joined the ACC. Easier road to the championship. No question about it. On the other hand, I do think the old man was right in the end. (the old man, not me) I don't understand what the SEC has to do with it? I'm sorry, I don't follow.

FSU won a title 4 years ago. FSU is down the past 2 years. They had the nations longest bowl streak coming into this season.

Were you saying that Florida worst decision ever was to be in the SEC when they were 4-8 a few years ago? Alabama made the worst decision being in the SEC when they had Mike Shula? Tennessee?

FSU won a title 4 years ago. FSU is down the past 2 years. They had the nations longest bowl streak coming into this season.

Were you saying that Florida worst decision ever was to be in the SEC when they were 4-8 a few years ago? Alabama made the worst decision being in the SEC when they had Mike Shula? Tennessee?

Oh. Ok. No, *I* never said any of that. I was making an observation about a conversation I recall with an older gentlemen when FSU joined the ACC. I'm saying (now) that I think I agree with his assessment that eventually, that would be their downfall.

But to play along (nicely) I would think the same could be true today with Bama (as an example). Let's say it's time for conferences to shake things up again (as it was back in the ACC days) ....let's say you take Bama right now and drop them in the Pac-12 or something, eventually they'd start playing down to that level of talent and not be as dominant as they are now. It's just a theory and there's a ton of other variables that go into it making it virtually impossible to prove or disprove. I think I agree with the theory though.

I think the effects were gradual, and coalesced with the decline of an aging coach who was determined to coach as long as Paterno did.

I think the effects were gradual, and coalesced with the decline of an aging coach who was determined to coach as long as Paterno did.

Right. Too many factors all coming together at a period in time to lay the blame squarely at the feet of the perceived softer ACC.....as much I'd like to.

Oh. Ok. No, *I* never said any of that. I was making an observation about a conversation I recall with an older gentlemen when FSU joined the ACC. I'm saying (now) that I think I agree with his assessment that eventually, that would be their downfall.

I mean, eventually we will ALL be dead. Every program is going to have down periods. It took darn near 30 years and 3 national championships of FSU in the ACC for them to have 1 losing season. I wish we could have a similar 30 year "downfall."

Reactions: Jpcooper
I just consider NOtra Dame as a social member of the a see sea, they get all the good Tee Times, and have some (legacy opponents) to dress out their schedule. And a Garth Brooks special, they are NBC's lil darlings

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT