ADVERTISEMENT

"Coach Muschamp inherited a mess"

I guess after this year because it was not an excuse. It was a fact
Now after this year it will no longer be a fact and if future is same then it’s an excuse
Point is it was not like he was able to bring on elite talent as soon as he arrived and the talent was just not on roster
Look at QB fir example his first year

Reactions: rogue cock
1. It's completely true. 2. It should no longer be an excuse in Year 4.
Well, I mean it's still something of an excuse. We should be trending up, however, but we are not necessarily trending up. But if you start from the bottom the climb to the top isn't instantaneous just because you recruited the players you wanted. However, you have to win some games that you're not favored in to attract good recruits.

We need to win to get more quality recruits. We need quality recruits to win. Muschamp seems not to be a great game day coach. He is tireless and a good recruiter. He is also unimaginative and timid as a coach. The defense plays scared, waiting on ball carriers to come to them and giving huge cushions in the secondary. The offense plays scared with safe runs and almost no imagination in the pass game. We are not bold enough to beat more talented teams.

So we won't get better recruits until we can with the talent level we have. He is at the bare minimum it should be for where we are. But we can't trend upward unless our coach can coach 'em up on game day and exploit match-ups of our more talented guys to make the most of them. Muschamp and our offensive coaching staff are not imaginative or doing what is needed to take advantage of our player's talents.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Thought I heard Ray say that on Sports talk last night. But here is my question for Ray, who seems to be either speaking out of both sides of his mouth, or was just lax on the job when Spurrier was here. According to Spurrier, he was flirting with resigning after the season before he actually resigned, but Ray talked him out of it. Also according to Spurrier, Ray tried to talk him out of it when he actually resigned. So why was Ray not aware that the program was in shambles at that point? That's just me, but it appears that Ray is comfortable with the mediocrity, and that the fan base will keep funding the coffers with the explanation of all the excuses. All three major sports are currently mediocre on their best day. Past time for the folks at USC to decide if they want to do what it takes to be a player, or if USC is satisfied with being mediocre while collecting that SEC check.

Last edited:
I don't believe Tanner is dumb. He knows more than anyone that it is extremely hard to win here and he is doing the right thing.
I hate it but we are still not on par with our closest rivals with regard to tradition and winnin . We have closed the gap on facilities and an AD who won 2 NCs is well equipped to get it done.
Have patience and we will get there
Thought I heard Ray say that on Sports talk last night. But here is my question for Ray, who seems to be either speaking out of both sides of his mouth, or was just lax on the job when Spurrier was here. According to Spurrier, he was flirting with resigning after the season before he actually resigned, but Ray talked him out of it. Also according to Spurrier, Ray tried to talk him out of it when he actually resigned. So why was Tay not aware that the program was in shambles at that point? That's just me, but it appears that Ray is comfortable with the mediocrity, and that the fan base will keep funding the coffers with the explanation of all the excuses. All three major sports are currently mediocre on their best day. Past time for the folks at USC to decide if they want to do what it takes to be a player, or if USC is satisfied with being mediocre while collecting that SEC check.

1. It's completely true. 2. It should no longer be an excuse in Year 4.

Appreciate the complexity of thought. He did walk into a steaming hot mess in the wake of Spurrier's antipathy in the final years of his tenure.

To your point though, Muschamp completely owns it in year 4. Is it realistic to expect wins over Bama, Georgia and Clemson in year 4? I'd argue not. Not when they are the top three teams in the country.

But should he beat the hell out of an immensely less talented UNC team? Hell yes. That game, coming on the heels of an embarrassing 24-0 shutout at the hands of another middling ACC team (UVa), and my confidence in Muschamp is severely shaken.

I have been a stout Muschamp defender until now. It is becoming increasingly more obvious that he is a great D coordinator, and a pretty damn good recruiter, but he just doesn't seam to be HC material.

And as much as I love Tanner and what he did for our University, he does not seem to be AD material. The coaches love and respect him, because he is one of them. But he is not (never has been) qualified to run an SEC level athletic department.

Love for our University and desire to be an AD are not qualifying attributes to actually become AD.

Thought I heard Ray say that on Sports talk last night. But here is my question for Ray, who seems to be either speaking out of both sides of his mouth, or was just lax on the job when Spurrier was here. According to Spurrier, he was flirting with resigning after the season before he actually resigned, but Ray talked him out of it. Also according to Spurrier, Ray tried to talk him out of it when he actually resigned. So why was Tay not aware that the program was in shambles at that point? That's just me, but it appears that Ray is comfortable with the mediocrity, and that the fan base will keep funding the coffers with the explanation of all the excuses. All three major sports are currently mediocre on their best day. Past time for the folks at USC to decide if they want to do what it takes to be a player, or if USC is satisfied with being mediocre while collecting that SEC check.
Not true and Spurrier never said that. Jerri talked him out of it, not Ray.

Ray did try to get him to complete the season the year he quit.

Reactions: GeoCocky
It was so much of a mess that he went 9-4 subsequently, the same 9-4 that got the extension. You can't make this stuff up. Spurriers' players have cycled through its all his guys now. Did his guys even win a game yet for us?

Well, I mean it's still something of an excuse. We should be trending up, however, but we are not necessarily trending up. But if you start from the bottom the climb to the top isn't instantaneous just because you recruited the players you wanted. However, you have to win some games that you're not favored in to attract good recruits.

We need to win to get more quality recruits. We need quality recruits to win. Muschamp seems not to be a great game day coach. He is tireless and a good recruiter. He is also unimaginative and timid as a coach. The defense plays scared, waiting on ball carriers to come to them and giving huge cushions in the secondary. The offense plays scared with safe runs and almost no imagination in the pass game. We are not bold enough to beat more talented teams.

So we won't get better recruits until we can with the talent level we have. He is at the bare minimum it should be for where we are. But we can't trend upward unless our coach can coach 'em up on game day and exploit match-ups of our more talented guys to make the most of them. Muschamp and our offensive coaching staff are not imaginative or doing what is needed to take advantage of our player's talents.
Well said.

He did inherit a mess. How long did it take Holtz and then Spurrier?

As I noted above, I do believe that it was a mess, but in Year 4, it's past the time to blame Spurrier for the current state of the team. The guys are now Muschamp's, and we're several years removed from the most fundamental team issues that existed at the end of the SOS Era. That doesn't mean that the rebuild is over or that CWM won't improve the team over the next 1-2 years. But, he's had 4 straight Top 25 recruiting classes (the last 2 being top 20); it's his team, and it's time to put SOS in the rearview.

He won a bowl game with Spurriers players, hasn’t won crap with his own. He’s had plenty of embarrassing losses though. He’s created a mess more than he inherited im starting to think.

Entirely possible. Either way, there shouldn't be a mess now. I also think that if we win 4 or less this year Muschamp "might" be given another year to fix things but there should be conditions. If he just gets a green light to keep doing what's he is doing and no changes are required then the fault shifts 100% from Muschamp to Tanner.

I would say Muschamp is continuing a mess. Is making excuses and never finding solutions considered a mess? I would say so. Did Mac Brown not inherit a mess this year and still manage to field a team that looked like it could do basic footballs things most of the time in his first game? Then why couldn't we with Muschamp's supposed "deepest" "best" team in his 4th year? Our team has a habit of showing up to the games unprepared and I fail to see how that is the fault of the last coaching staff.

He knew the recruiting was in the tank and that’s the lifeblood of a program. I asked him about at a GC meeting. Not only that he said he was hearing about it from other folks!

So as a coach he definitely knew where it was headed. It’s on him that he saw it declining and did nothing. Using it as an excuse now doesn’t fly.

Y'all do know that when word got out that Muschamp was being considered for the job that Spurrier recommended him.

He inherited a modern, 100 yard indoor practice facility when some other schools in the SEC didn’t have them.

He inherited plans for a new football ops building that had already been initiated under Spurrier.

He inherited Hayden Hursrt, Deebo Samuel, Zach Bailey, Donnell Stanley, Skai Moore, Bryson Allen Williams, Rashad Fenton, Chris Lammons, Dante Sawyer, Taylor Stallworth, DJ Smith... the team had guys.

Do y’all remember how much we struggled with Spurriers tired old fun and gun. Elliott called him ans said coach I can help your run game. We went to a read option and thus our big win seasons. Just saying, all wasn’t spurriers brilliance. He was struggling too.

He inherited a modern, 100 yard indoor practice facility when some other schools in the SEC didn’t have them.

He inherited plans for a new football ops building that had already been initiated under Spurrier.

He inherited Hayden Hursrt, Deebo Samuel, Zach Bailey, Donnell Stanley, Skai Moore, Bryson Allen Williams, Rashad Fenton, Chris Lammons, Dante Sawyer, Taylor Stallworth, DJ Smith... the team had guys.
They dont believe this. They just want to hear false narratives.

How much longer will this be a legitimate excuse? I'd like to count how many times Tanner says it this season. Probably going to be often. He said it last night.
I don't know. But I will put the amount of Redshirt SRs and JRs on Spurrier. Boom's first class we couldn't Redshirt many because we were so thin they had to play.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT