ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Shane Beamer

CockyinMTP

Aug 15, 2016
Mount Pleasant
I’d like to start a thread where, for once, we acknowledge that Shane Beamer is a good coach.

Where some of you fake “fans” talk about Spurrier, Coach Shane Beamer is still winning games in November. Not like Spurrier where he was busy fishing somewhere.

Coach Beamer is no quitter!

let’s get cocky!

Beamer ball, Baby!

I've liked him all along, although I don't think one win means he's turned the corner. Its still going to be a bumpy ride.

But I will say this: watching his post-game interview, he comes across as being so genuine, so refreshing, and displays quite the persona and magnetism. If I were a high school player, I would for certainly have thoughts of "I'd sure like to play for that man". I'm hoping we have something to build on.

I’d like to start a thread where, for once, we acknowledge that Shane Beamer is a good coach.

Where some of you fake “fans” talk about Spurrier, Coach Shane Beamer is still winning games in November. Not like Spurrier where he was busy fishing somewhere.

Coach Beamer is no quitter!

let’s get cocky!

Beamer ball, Baby!

I wouldn't go that far to say "Not like Spurrier where he was busy fishing somewhere." Spurrier gave us 5 great wins in November and a few more.... I would agree with you if you said Muschamp....

Great win, and for all the joy in "Mudville" this weekend, I do ponder a serious question. Why did it take Coach Beamer and his staff 8, count 'em .... 8 games to explain to the offensive line to win your one-on-one battles when most of us clueless fans saw the problem back in early September? As a legendary SC high school coach once told his frustrated and beat down O-line during a time out, "Hell, just hit somebody when the ball is snapped and at least get some dirt on your colors!" I very much liked the idea of a 300+ lb. FB and a mobile QB with eyes downfield. Let's keep this train rolling!

The verdict is still out, but he certainly had done a lot of good things so far with this dumpster fire he inherited.

One thing for sure, the players really love him and are willing to fight for him, even when things go bad like the did weeks ago. And he commented how they wanted to practice even more than he required. That speaks a lot to the culture his is working to build here, something that is drastically needed here.

Right now, he has exceed expectations, and has an opportunity to do some things that many thought would be impossible this year.

"Shane Beamer is a good coach" is an overreaction, but wanting him fired in his first season in which he already beat the over/under for win totals isn't?
One opinion would be based on 8 games and the other is based one one game.

Which one is more likely an overreaction?

Reactions: Lakecock1
I wouldn't go that far to say "Not like Spurrier where he was busy fishing somewhere." Spurrier gave us 5 great wins in November and a few more.... I would agree with you if you said Muschamp....
Yes. Got to get back to being competitive with Clemson it doesn’t have to be this year but I hope it is!!

The verdict is still out, but he certainly had done a lot of good things so far with this dumpster fire he inherited.

One thing for sure, the players really love him and are willing to fight for him, even when things go bad like the did weeks ago. And he commented how they wanted to practice even more than he required. That speaks a lot to the culture his is working to build here, something that is drastically needed here.

Right now, he has exceed expectations, and has an opportunity to do some things that many thought would be impossible this year.
That statement about practice was awesome and telling.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, sometimes all it takes is one player to make a team, the whole team, believe that it can win, and once that happens that’s 75% of the battle unless the opponent is Alabama level. I don’t think we have thought we *could* win until this week for a long time.

One opinion would be based on 8 games and the other is based one one game.

Which one is more likely an overreaction?
We weren't supposed to win as much as we have, an informed position based on this season is that Beamer needs more time and that didn't change last night, but the narrative that the offense means he can't win did take a major ding last night. But if you think you need a large sample, then you should keep your mouth shut, and then praise him when we go bowling.

I think he could be a good Coach. :) I’m enjoying the win over FL. But this in Beamers first year of a major build. But why was Brown not starting all along?
Agree. Good win. This team looks different with Brown at QB. Totally different. As you noted why was he not starting sooner? He has the intangibles and can make the throws. He can scramble enough to escape. If we continue like this we can take on Clemson.

Reactions: roosterbell
I think we can all agree that Beamer made some necessary changes over the course of the bye week. One was a QB change in which he didn't have a lot of choices.

Not sure what changed with the OL. Most of us knew there was talent there. Did the scheme change? Were they just pumped to block for Brown?

Play calling was much better but it's certainly easier to be a play caller when the OL is playing well.

Maybe a competent offense saves Satterfield his job? I had my doubts but maybe he turned the corner? Is it possible that Beamer has taken over the offense and this is the reason for the great game? Regardless, Beamer has to be given credit.

We weren't supposed to win as much as we have, an informed position based on this season is that Beamer needs more time and that didn't change last night, but the narrative that the offense means he can't win did take a major ding last night. But if you think you need a large sample, then you should keep your mouth shut, and then praise him when we go bowling.
This phenomenon where fans start rooting more for a coach than a school really amazes me.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I think we can all agree that Beamer made some necessary changes over the course of the bye week. One was a QB change in which he didn't have a lot of choices.

Not sure what changed with the OL. Most of us knew there was talent there. Did the scheme change? Were they just pumped to block for Brown?

Play calling was much better but it's certainly easier to be a play caller when the OL is playing well.

Maybe a competent offense saves Satterfield his job? I had my doubts but maybe he turned the corner? Is it possible that Beamer has taken over the offense and this is the reason for the great game? Regardless, Beamer has to be given credit.
Yeah if you feel like this changes the perception of Beamer, you have to agree Satterfield needs more time as OC as well.

Reactions: SOSUSC

That's what I'm thinking. Hard to tell from the stands, but it looked like we were playing a LOT more gap-blocking schemes and being very aggressive.

Reactions: xTHExNERFxHAMMERx
Just as it would be irresponsible to declare Beamer a failure after 8 games, I think it's irresponsible to declare him a success after this big win. Let's formulate our verdict after 3-4 years, just as we would with any other new coach. He deserves that. No coach deserves the hot-and-cold knee-jerk reactions so prevalent on this forum in his first year.

I think what we can say at this point is that we've finally seen the evidence of improvement that we'd hope to see from a new coach. We finally have that "impact win" that gives us hope that maybe this coach and this staff can get us to where we want to be. Gamecock Nation needed this one and it feels really good to be happy about our team again.

I've liked him all along, although I don't think one win means he's turned the corner. Its still going to be a bumpy ride.

But I will say this: watching his post-game interview, he comes across as being so genuine, so refreshing, and displays quite the persona and magnetism. If I were a high school player, I would for certainly have thoughts of "I'd sure like to play for that man". I'm hoping we have something to build on.
I realize it's all new to a rookie HC but personally, I don't like a cheerleader (it reminds me of somebody), and he needs to polish up his postgame - I know that in time, he will refine the on field interviews but family and stuff gathering, interview went for like way too long, and emotions show too much. ShortSweetandSimple.

In the locker, at practice, watching film, recruiting, etc this emotion will do much but it seemed to go on and on and on, even thru the alma mater (which is a neat deal) and more.

He will get better.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Shane should be called on the carpet for not starting Jason Brown earlier in the season.

One of the biggest screw-ups I've seen in a long time.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but I'd still fire Satt at the end of the season.

I realize it's all new to a rookie HC but personally, I don't like a cheerleader (it reminds me of somebody), and he needs to polish up his postgame - I know that in time, he will refine the on field interviews but family and stuff gathering, interview went for like way too long, and emotions show too much. ShortSweetandSimple.

In the locker, at practice, watching film, recruiting, etc this emotion will do much but it seemed to go on and on and on, even thru the alma mater (which is a neat deal) and more.

He will get better.
He needs to be himself. If that's a cheerleader after the game, so be it. Not my style but I certainly appreciate him being himself.

Great win, and for all the joy in "Mudville" this weekend, I do ponder a serious question. Why did it take Coach Beamer and his staff 8, count 'em .... 8 games to explain to the offensive line to win your one-on-one battles when most of us clueless fans saw the problem back in early September? As a legendary SC high school coach once told his frustrated and beat down O-line during a time out, "Hell, just hit somebody when the ball is snapped and at least get some dirt on your colors!" I very much liked the idea of a 300+ lb. FB and a mobile QB with eyes downfield. Let's keep this train rolling!
You think they haven’t been saying that all year? Maybe it took 8 games for the players to listen....

So Shane comes to this message board for info?
And how do you know Brown wasn't ready?
I'm calling BS.
I'm with you. Brown should have been starting earlier. I'm only suggesting calling him out publicly has very little upside.

The announcers kept talking about a culture change and we saw both sides of it last night. A team that wanted to work harder and win vs a team that the coach might have lost. Our guys played with fire and intensity, Florida was sleep walking. As others have said, one game does not a season make. Phil Robertson was the starter at a college and his backup up was Terry Bradshaw. Phil got hurt and Terry went on to win Super Bowls. Why wasn’t Terry starting all along? Maybe this is the case with Brown. Last night we saw what a mobile qb with a good arm can do with this offense. One other change needs to be made. Sit Joyner. Great kid but not a receiver. Let’s enjoy this win and look forward to the next one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT