ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Head Coaching Fraternity a Farce

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
So Steve Adazzio is headed to Colorado State. Willie Taggart to FAU. We have Will Muschamp.

These guys get jobs for a few years of Millions, then they fail, and their reward is more years of Millions. The defenders of this system say, well, they have head coaching experience, and we can't find anybody else who will come to our program.

Really....

Clemson has won national championships in two different decades with assistants from their staff promoted to head coach. (Just so you know, I don't like Clemson. Fact is fact.)

Yet, schools keep recycling failed coaches. Agents, administrators, cohorts in the system keep propping up failed coaches. It's one of the richest buddy systems in the world.

We will never see true leadership and coach development, diversity, opportunity for current players to get head coaching jobs or variability in champions as long as this recycling program continues. It's just one more dissapointing aspect of college football these days. Perhaps paying players will lead to a restructuring of compensation and ultimately selection decisions based on cronyism.

I'm always a free market guy, but this is no free market. The Power Five and the agents run it. It's a farce.

Last edited:
So Steve Adazzio is headed to Colorado State. Willie Taggart to FAU. We have Will Muschamp.

These guys get jobs for a few years of Millions, then they fail, and their reward is more years of Millions. The defenders of this system say, well, they have head coaching experience, and we can't find anybody else who will come to our program.

Really....

Clemson has won national championships in two different decades with assistants from their staff promoted to head coach. (Just so you know, I don't like Clemson. Fact is fact.)

Yet, schools keep recycling failed coaches. Agents, administrators, cohorts in the system keep propping up failed coaches. It's one of the richest buddy systems in the world.

We will never see true leadership and coach development, diversity, opportunity for current players to get head coaching jobs or variability in champions as long as as this recycling program continues. It's just one more dissapointing aspect of college football these days. Perhaps paying players will lead to a restructuring of compensation and ultimately selection decisions based on cronyism.

I'm always a free market guy, but this is no free market. The Power Five and the agents run it. It's a farce.

I stated this several times, once recently. At a P5 school a coach can fail, get fired and get rich. What other profession in the world has benefits like that.

I stated this several times, once recently. At a P5 school a coach can fail, get fired and get rich. What other profession in the world has benefits like that.
Corporate executives have a similar rotating philosophy. A guy will be canned as the scapegoat for "not meeting expectations", get a several million $$ severance package, and sign somewhere else with a several million $$ signing bonus to do the same job he technically just failed at.

Corporate executives have a similar rotating philosophy. A guy will be canned as the scapegoat for "not meeting expectations", get a several million $$ severance package, and sign somewhere else with a several million $$ signing bonus to do the same job he technically just failed at.
Yes, it does work that way. I guess college coaching bothers me because we are the stockholders, and we continually support this behavior. There are also the agents and the conferences. These three groups are all watching out for each other.

Couldn't have said it any better OP. The vacuum of power happens a lot in both college football and the NFL. You look at how efforts like the Rooney Rule are even treated to create diversity and new leadership and it's a joke. As an educator, the entire premise blows my mind. Most educators sign (at max) two year contracts to make roughly $40,000 a year. But you have the most mediocre of coaches sign 3-5 year contracts making at least $2 Million a year with buyouts in the 6-8 figure range. Brings new meaning to "Rinse, Wash, Repeat".

I know it probably happens in big business to some degree but to the degree it does in college football - I don't know about that.

Absolutely true. Many college programs have the association with public universities which makes this worse in my view.

I know it happens in the NFL and I've mentioned such, I just don't follow the NFL except when one of our former players is being recognized in a positive way.

I know it probably happens in big business to some degree but to the degree it does in college football - I don't know about that.
It's just a relatively small group of people, many of whom are in publically funded universities. And college football's efforts at creating diversity in it's head coaching ranks are a joke if you look at results. But the system has little interest in bringing in new folks of any ethnicity. It is interested in maintaining a market were supply is "limited" and salaries rise quickly. And, it is succeeding.

Couldn't have said it any better OP. The vacuum of power happens a lot in both college football and the NFL. You look at how efforts like the Rooney Rule are even treated to create diversity and new leadership and it's a joke. As an educator, the entire premise blows my mind. Most educators sign (at max) two year contracts to make roughly $40,000 a year. But you have the most mediocre of coaches sign 3-5 year contracts making at least $2 Million a year with buyouts in the 6-8 figure range. Brings new meaning to "Rinse, Wash, Repeat".
Yeah, and the wash cycle is really short!

Think about it. College football is actually a pretty small field. It just happens to be far more visible here. If you follow the news about corporate interests and stockholder meeting minutes, you'll see it in full swing.

The promo of Ward to DC by SS then his colossal failure only to rise again on the far west coast speaks to that and then after massively failing there was brought on at another school.
Ward is a $40,000 PY man making millions.
HFB coaching or just FB coaching on the college level in general is a profession where if you fail you succeed.

I think it would be quite interesting for a progressive school to hire a proven leader/CEO from the business world as their head coach. Not someone who doesn't understand football, mind you. Someone in the mold of Joe Moglia, who did a damn fine job at Coastal Carolina. He had playing experience and I do believe he coached early in his career.

A good leader hires the right people for senior management, and lets them do their jobs. I wish more Joe Mogias would attempt to pivot to college football.

Whil

Really....

We will never see true leadership and coach development, diversity, opportunity for current players to get head coaching jobs or variability in champions as long as this recycling program continues. It's just one more dissapointing aspect of college football these days. Perhaps paying players will lead to a restructuring of compensation and ultimately selection decisions based on cronyism.

While true in college football, I think it is even way more prevalent in the NFL. It seems like there are only 32 coaches to choose from. If you fire one you only have 31 left to consider.

Perhaps you should try 'Wash, Rinse, Repeat', instead.
It's doing the little things correctly that make the difference between success and failure.
Thank you for the correction Cock Fight!! I'm happy to know that's the only thing you found in my post to criticize. ;-)

CEO of just about any large company. Look at banks... or the auto industry. Rich get richer.

Fascinating statistical piece by a good (albeit political) site. But, the numbers cannot be argued. Stanford's David Shaw's comment at the end is very interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...l-doesnt-give-black-coaches-many-chances/amp/

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock
So be a coach... Just saying... You picked your profession.... I can't be mad... Wish it was me

So be a coach... Just saying... You picked your profession.... I can't be mad... Wish it was me
The whole point of all of this just blew right by you. Don't think jealousy, envy or spite has anything to do with the issue I was trying to address. Perhaps I should be more clear, but I thought I was doing pretty good. Just let those of us who understand the issues chat about it if anyone wants to.

The whole point of all of this just blew right by you. Don't think jealousy, envy or spite has anything to do with the issue I was trying to address. Perhaps I should be more clear, but I thought I was doing pretty good. Just let those of us who understand the issues chat about it if anyone wants to.
Ok I'll check myself next time I have an opinion on a message board..... Sounds like sour grapes to me... If that's not how you meant it then cool.. my bad.

Ok I'll check myself next time I have an opinion on a message board..... Sounds like sour grapes to me... If that's not how you meant it then cool.. my bad.
Just trying to point out how the head coaches, agents and schools prop up a market that keeps costing all of us more. That's all.

Reactions: Expro19
This profession is probably one of the greatest examples of the connections you make trumping the lessons you learn. We certainly dont hire these guys for their degrees, but if you can find someone from a certain coaching tree you better be ready to throw money at him.

Really....

Yes, it's a farce that will eventually be dismantled by logic and technology.

Politicians, Fortune 500 CEO’s, Televangelists. Need I go on?

Bout like the damn politicians. Serve a couple of terms and "Poof!" they're wealthy

I heard a sheriff say long ago I heard a sheriff say long ago, "I only want to serve two terms - one to set it up and one to clean up." He wasn't talking about cleaning up crime either.

Yes, it's a farce that will eventually be dismantled by logic and technology.
But certainly not now. Urban Meyer serves as a consultant in the CSU search. Addazio is a buddy of Meyers. Adazzio gets the job, and is now hiring Urban Meyer's son in law and Adazzio's own son to his staff. Meanwhile thousands of college football players hope they might be a college coach one day. But how they break into this racket is the question.

NFL has always been a club. Once you become a member and get a coaching staff gig, you're set. You can go 0-16 as a head coach and be a coordinator on a new staff by the next season. All those guys get recycled over and over and over.

Part of the carousel is driven by agents and search firms.

There's also a strange comfort in hiring someone who's been hired before. ADs get fired by going far out on limbs and that's what you do in lieu of hiring the up and coming assistant.

CEO of just about any large company. Look at banks... or the auto industry. Rich get richer.

The difference with CEOs is that if they fail, the business may have to liquidate and cease to exist (Kodak, Blockbuster, Pan Am etc). Athletic departments behave more like public institutions; they're playing with someone else's money and cannot go under (with very rare exceptions). The fan base may get angry; but's there no serious consequence to bad coaches.

Fascinating statistical piece by a good (albeit political) site. But, the numbers cannot be argued. Stanford's David Shaw's comment at the end is very interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fiveth...l-doesnt-give-black-coaches-many-chances/amp/
In that study as well as most others they intentionally do not count black or predominantly black colleges. To me that is intentionally screwing the numbers. Also in all sports I know of coaches typically coach the sport they have first hand knowledge in ie a football player one day develop into a coach. Why would be want a male, female, green, blue, black or white tennis coach to coach a fb just because of their race or gender.

The difference with CEOs is that if they fail, the business may have to liquidate and cease to exist (Kodak, Blockbuster, Pan Am etc). Athletic departments behave more like public institutions; they're playing with someone else's money and cannot go under (with very rare exceptions). The fan base may get angry; but's there no serious consequence to bad coaches.
There are very few universities/colleges that make enough money to carry the fb and ALL other athletics must less are able to give back to their schools. Yes there are some that, especially with their booster clubs, make billions, but they also contribute highly back to the University in funding for buildings, research, etc. schools that earn this kind of money also a huge impact on the money the town/city the school resides in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT