ADVERTISEMENT

Colonial Life Arena seating

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
I have never been to Colonial Life Arena, but watching games from the television it seems that the front row seats are just about on the floor of the court. Looking at this picture, the front row seats (court side) look like they are 20 feet from the court. What is going on?

colonial-life-arena_1582023332.jpg

That looks like an old pic. I can tell by the scoreboard.
It looks like a high school basketball game being played. At first I was thinking they shrinked the basketball court and that is why there was more space between the court and the seats.

I have never been to Colonial Life Arena, but watching games from the television it seems that the front row seats are just about on the floor of the court. Looking at this picture, the front row seats (court side) look like they are 20 feet from the court. What is going on?

colonial-life-arena_1582023332.jpg
That pic looks like a hockey configuration with the basketball court laid on top. I'm not sure what that situation was, but they don't usually have the hockey boards up for basketball. lol.

It looks like a high school basketball game being played. At first I was thinking they shrinked the basketball court and that is why there was more space between the court and the seats.
Yep that pic was taken from the High School basketball state title games. Lexington is playing, but I can’t tell who the opponent is from the pic. I coached in one of these state title games and those seats are removed for the state title games. I think they want to keep people off the court because those games used to last literally all day (particularly on Saturday).

That pic looks like a hockey configuration with the basketball court laid on top. I'm not sure what that situation was, but they don't usually have the hockey boards up for basketball. lol.
I just thought the seats were permanent, I did not know the first couple of rows could be moved.

I really wish they would update the Coliseum and play there again. Not a big fan of CLA.

Yep that pic was taken from the High School basketball state title games. Lexington is playing, but I can’t tell who the opponent is from the pic. I coached in one of these state title games and those seats are removed for the state title games. I think they want to keep people off the court because those games used to last literally all day (particularly on Saturday).

Gaffney.

I really wish they would update the Coliseum and play there again. Not a big fan of CLA.

I am exactly like you, brother. I wish they would bring back the Carolina Fieldhouse, and play there again. We played in the Fieldhouse more years than either the Carolina Coliseum or the CLA (thus far). Those were good times - they even let you go down underneath the wooden bleachers and smoke during halftimes there. Never understood why we stopped playing there.......

Gaffney.

I agree on the desire to play at the old Coliseum, although it’ll never happen. I’ve been in recently and it’s been converted to a practice facility, so a lot of work would have to be put in to even host a game at this point.

Good eyes on Gaffney. That’s who it is.

The CLA will never match Frank McGuire Coliseum as a basketball venue. Can't come close. The old place was built for basketball as the floor was built at the bottom of a pit with the stands going straight up. Very intimidating place to play. The CLA was built for music acts, monster trucks, and most importantly, luxury suites for every occasion. Funny how most every school that gets one of these huge arenas almost immediately wishes they had never left the old place.

I agree on the desire to play at the old Coliseum, although it’ll never happen. I’ve been in recently and it’s been converted to a practice facility, so a lot of work would have to be put in to even host a game at this point.

Good eyes on Gaffney. That’s who it is.
Currently there is 27 million reasons why South Carolina would not move back to the Carolina Coliseum. I have not seen the coliseum since 1999, however, I have looked at aerial and other photos of the coliseum and it appears they have built other structures in the parking lot of the coliseum, so that would make it difficult to move basketball games back to the coliseum.

I would love for both basketball teams to move back to the coliseum. Also would want the original playing surface to be installed for the court (tarp court?) instead of the wooden floor. I think the first game I attended at the coliseum was in the late 70s was against Illinois and I remember that was the first time I got to walk through the tunnel underneath Assembly Street. South Carolina was an Independent back then, so their rivals in the mid to late 1970s was Norte Dame, Kentucky and Marquette In which South Carolina did not fare well against them but the coliseum was max capacity during those three games. Of the games I have attended at the coliseum, I think the biggest win was against Ohio State (or It could have been Oklahoma) in the Coach Felton era.

Do not know if this is true, but I heard a story once that Indiana played in the coliseum against South Carolina and South Carolina ended up winning. I was told that Bobby Knight was so mad after that defeat that he damaged or broken the aircraft door on their return to Bloomington.

For the ones that witness the ACC era at the coliseum, I am sure their excitement was vastly greater than the era of my memory of the coliseum.

The CLA will never match Frank McGuire Coliseum as a basketball venue. Can't come close. The old place was built for basketball as the floor was built at the bottom of a pit with the stands going straight up. Very intimidating place to play. The CLA was built for music acts, monster trucks, and most importantly, luxury suites for every occasion. Funny how most every school that gets one of these huge arenas almost immediately wishes they had never left the old place.
The only SEC teams that I can remember that has built new arenas is Arkansas and maybe Kentucky (not 100 percent sure), Other SEC teams only did renovations to their current basketball arenas.

CC was great for BB in the late 60s. My older brother was in school at that time and I was fortunate to attend 3 or 4 BB games during the McGuire era. It was also a very good sounding concert venue. When it was constructed it was one of the largest edge supported roof structures. It did have rather severe loading limits on the roof structure which limited larger concerts. I rigged concerts at that time and am an engineering grad. I also understand that it could not have been adapted to add luxury boxes. Final comment, I worked many BB games at the CC (late 80s) which were poorly attended and the atmosphere sucked. Honestly CLA is not as big a problem as the product on the floor.

The only SEC teams that I can remember that has built new arenas is Arkansas and maybe Kentucky (not 100 percent sure), Other SEC teams only did renovations to their current basketball arenas.
Auburn (2010) and Ole Miss (2016) each built new basketball arenas in the not-too distant past. In addition, Texas has a new arena slated to open next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Auburn (2010) and Ole Miss (2016) each built new basketball arenas in the not-too distant past.
Thanks. I thought they just renovated their existing facility. Anyway, the Pavilion looks great from my view on the television. Also not too big either. Kind of hard to tell that Auburn's facility is one of the newer arenas.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Thanks. I thought they just renovated their existing facility. Anyway, the Pavilion looks great from my view on the television. Also not to big either. Kind of hard to tell that Auburn's facility is one of the newer arenas.
All the ones I mentioned emphasize amenities and closeness to the court over seating capacity. The Auburn Arena seats about 9,100 but the farthest seat from the court is purportedly only 43 feet. That's close proximity for that many seats. The Pavilion at Ole Miss seats 9,500. The new arena at Texas will seat 10,000 for most games but will be able to accommodate 15,000 for especially big games.

Last edited:
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I am exactly like you, brother. I wish they would bring back the Carolina Fieldhouse, and play there again. We played in the Fieldhouse more years than either the Carolina Coliseum or the CLA (thus far). Those were good times - they even let you go down underneath the wooden bleachers and smoke during halftimes there. Never understood why we stopped playing there.......
Well, it had 3,000 seats and we sold out every game in the Coliseum, which held 12,000 fans, the first six seasons we played there. So, I guess that was the reason. But good luck with that. I'm sure Dawn and Frank often think "man, if only we had a 3,000 seat gym with all wooden benchs"'

Reactions: Conway Gamecock
All the ones I mentioned emphasize amenities and closeness to the court over seating capacity. The Auburn Arena seats about 9,100 but the farthest seat from the court is purportedly only 43 feet. That's close proximity for that many seats.
Even though it is bad for fans view at the game, I do like the style of the round arenas in which an examples of those are Alexander Coliseum the home of the Yellow Jackets (before they renovated it) University Hall where Virginia use to play at. Also i think Purdue, Illinois and Norte Dame basketball facility might be similar to the round arenas (picture below).

Not being biased, but just my opinion, there is no better exterior basketball facility than the Carolina Coliseum. It just looks like a very important structure.

5ce8b920620f7.image.jpg

CarolinaColiseum.jpg

It has been about 15 years since I attended a game at CLA and I could have sworn our seats had cup holders but I admit that I could be wrong.

Overnight, I have verified that Bud Walton Arena, Rupp arena, Auburn arena, and The Pavilion at Ole Miss all have cupholders at every chair seat. So, as Spurrier said, "Why not us"? @Uncle Money
We are in the 21st Century. Don’t think it’s a stretch to expect good working internet and cup holders in modern arenas. I do like to sip my beer at events without hoping I don’t knock it over on the ground and watch it trickle down the aisles as $10 slowly slips away….

and little things matter. They often speak volumes about programs. Would I prefer a better product on the court? Sure….but why risk spilling my drink as I watch in sadness.

We are in the 21st Century. Don’t think it’s a stretch to expect good working internet and cup holders in modern arenas. I do like to sip my beer at events without hoping I don’t knock it over on the ground and watch it trickle down the aisles as $10 slowly slips away….

and little things matter. They often speak volumes about programs. Would I prefer a better product on the court? Sure….but why risk spilling my drink as I watch in sadness.
If you blow up the pictures, you can see them. That arena is way older than ours. Those people saw a need and they met it.

Last edited:
Kentucky doesn’t own Rupp. It also is built with poor sight lines on the ends. CLA has great sight lines for basketball except for the courtside student seats.

If you blow up the pictures, you can see them. That arena is way older than ours. Those people saw a need and they met it.

The Rupp Arena upper deck was bordering on Neyland Stadium conditions. They were packed in to keep capacity high. The upper level is now halfway decent.

I do agree, however, that CLA needs to replace the 20 year old seats and add cup holders to the backs.

Kentucky doesn’t own Rupp. It also is built with poor sight lines on the ends. CLA has great sight lines for basketball except for the courtside student seats.
Which would not be compromised by cupholders a la the Auburn Arena, the Pavilion at Ole Miss, or the Bud Walton Arena.

Reactions: uscbeckham
The Rupp Arena upper deck was bordering on Neyland Stadium conditions. They were packed in to keep capacity high. The upper level is now halfway decent.

I do agree, however, that CLA needs to replace the 20 year old seats and add cup holders to the backs.
Or the arms

Or the arms
Seats aren’t wide enough for them to be added to the arms. Larger people would have issues getting in and out of seats, and they would likely damage them. A rear mounted cup holder would work in between the seats and low, since the seats are curved and have a back lean to them. Very similar to NFL cup holders.

Seats aren’t wide enough for them to be added to the arms. Larger people would have issues getting in and out of seats, and they would likely damage them. A rear mounted cup holder would work in between the seats and low, since the seats are curved and have a back lean to them. Very similar to NFL cup holders.
Then I get people's legs rubbing against my cup. No thanks.

The new seats they have now have the cupholders as part of the armrests, but whatever way works best for our particular requirements is fine with me.

The new seats they have now have the cupholders as part of the armrests, but whatever way works best for our particular requirements is fine with me.
Old seats do as well. Companies like Camatic and Hussey are very flexible. The minimum and maximum envelope (fold and unfold) will be the primary issue followed by seat width.

Our first issue will be the fact that our tread is only about 30-32 inches, so the envelope needs to be low.

The seat width on center is next at about 19 inches, so this will restrict the size of the armrest or anything mounted to it.

Old seats do as well. Companies like Camatic and Hussey are very flexible. The minimum and maximum envelope (fold and unfold) will be the primary issue followed by seat width.

Our first issue will be the fact that our tread is only about 30-32 inches, so the envelope needs to be low.

The seat width on center is next at about 19 inches, so this will restrict the size of the armrest or anything mounted to it.
There'll be a day when seats will be widened and capacity somewhat lowered, as we're seeing in football now. But that's an aside. We'll get there, well, someone will.

There'll be a day when seats will be widened and capacity somewhat lowered, as we're seeing in football now. But that's an aside. We'll get there, well, someone will.
CLA seat size is what WBS seat size should be. At the very least, the concrete sections should be done. The metal lower deck has too small of a tread for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT