ADVERTISEMENT

Colonial Life Arena seating

Currently there is 27 million reasons why South Carolina would not move back to the Carolina Coliseum. I have not seen the coliseum since 1999, however, I have looked at aerial and other photos of the coliseum and it appears they have built other structures in the parking lot of the coliseum, so that would make it difficult to move basketball games back to the coliseum.

I would love for both basketball teams to move back to the coliseum. Also would want the original playing surface to be installed for the court (tarp court?) instead of the wooden floor. I think the first game I attended at the coliseum was in the late 70s was against Illinois and I remember that was the first time I got to walk through the tunnel underneath Assembly Street. South Carolina was an Independent back then, so their rivals in the mid to late 1970s was Norte Dame, Kentucky and Marquette In which South Carolina did not fare well against them but the coliseum was max capacity during those three games. Of the games I have attended at the coliseum, I think the biggest win was against Ohio State (or It could have been Oklahoma) in the Coach Felton era.

Do not know if this is true, but I heard a story once that Indiana played in the coliseum against South Carolina and South Carolina ended up winning. I was told that Bobby Knight was so mad after that defeat that he damaged or broken the aircraft door on their return to Bloomington.

For the ones that witness the ACC era at the coliseum, I am sure their excitement was vastly greater than the era of my memory of the coliseum.
Yep, perhaps Kevin Joyce's greatest game.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
If you blow up the pictures, you can see them. That arena is way older than ours. Those people saw a need and they met it.

Not all of the new seats in Rupp arena have cupholders:
In addition, with the new seats, Rupp arena went from 23,500 to 20,545. That's is 2,955 season ticket holders who got kicked out of their long time seats.
NewUpperChairbackSeats-RuppArena-1-08b62f67f4.jpg

Last edited:
Not all of the new seats in Rupp arena have cupholders:
In addition, with the new seats, Rupp arena went from 23,500 to 20,545. That's is 2,955 season ticket holders who got kicked out of their long time seats.
NewUpperChairbackSeats-RuppArena-1-08b62f67f4.jpg
The front row has them on the arms. Rows farther back have them on the seatbacks.

NewUpperChairbackSeats-RuppArena-4-028f591f61.jpg

Seats aren’t wide enough for them to be added to the arms. Larger people would have issues getting in and out of seats, and they would likely damage them. A rear mounted cup holder would work in between the seats and low, since the seats are curved and have a back lean to them. Very similar to NFL cup holders.
No. The tread width and seat size is identical to Bud Walton Arena right down to the inch. We don't have them because ole Save Every Penny Mike had to shave a few thousand dollars of the cost of his monument to himself that cost us a wonderful, perfectly sized basketball arena. And no one since has had cared enough about the fan experience to add them. Irony is most arenas make money off of cup holders between increased beverage sales and putting sponsorship decals on them

No. The tread width and seat size is identical to Bud Walton Arena right down to the inch. We don't have them because ole Save Every Penny Mike had to shave a few thousand dollars of the cost of his monument to himself that cost us a wonderful, perfectly sized basketball arena. And no one since has had cared enough about the fan experience to add them. Irony is most arenas make money off of cup holders between increased beverage sales and putting sponsorship decals on them
I’m in agreement. I’m just saying that they’ll have to be rear mounts instead of arm mounts

The only SEC teams that I can remember that has built new arenas is Arkansas and maybe Kentucky (not 100 percent sure), Other SEC teams only did renovations to their current basketball arenas.
You must not pay too close attention. Ole Miss and Auburn are two brand new ones off the top of my head

You must not pay too close attention. Ole Miss and Auburn are two brand new ones off the top of my head
I thought the Palvilion was renovated. As far as Auburn, at the time they got their new arena I was working in a time zone that was 13 to 14 hours ahead of Eastern Time and the only sports channel I remember was Sky Sports.. I worked out in Asia from January 2003 until February 2015 so I missed a lot of South Carolina games..

I thought the Palvilion was renovated. As far as Auburn, at the time they got their new arena I was working in a time zone that was 13 to 14 hours ahead of Eastern Time and the only sports channel I remember was Sky Sports.. I worked out in Asia from January 2003 until February 2015 so I missed a lot of South Carolina games..
The Pavilion replaced the Tad Pad.

Also, as far as the Rupp Arena comment earlier in the thread, it was built in the 80s and is owned by the convention center/hotel. Tennessee's arena was actually built as a larger copy of Rupp and has since been renovated.

Reactions: king ward
The Pavilion replaced the Tad Pad.

Also, as far as the Rupp Arena comment earlier in the thread, it was built in the 80s and is owned by the convention center/hotel. Tennessee's arena was actually built as a larger copy of Rupp and has since been renovated.
Although I can't find pictures, the fairly recent extensive interior renovation of Thompson-Boling Arena inclines me to believe they also have cupholders.

Although I can't find pictures, the fairly recent extensive interior renovation of Thompson-Boling Arena inclines me to believe they also have cupholders.
In a surprise upset, the Thompson-Boling Arena renovation didn't include cupholders for their brand new luxury boxes, which is insane.

TBA_Boxes01-1.jpg

Reactions: coolcock2001
If all I did was drink in the arena and not eat at the same time, I wouldn't care, either.

I figured it out - just go out and buy an eyeglass lanyard from your local Walmart:

61Ei8CVhQ1L._AC_UL1500_.jpg

And buy some alligator clips:

Alligator-Clips.jpg

And fashion a snack lanyard, clip the bag/bucket around your neck, and it frees up your hands to hold your beverage of choice. Or you could just "down and dirty" it by getting some old boot laces and a couple of bulldog clips:

s-l300.jpg

Problem solved!!!

Old seats do as well. Companies like Camatic and Hussey are very flexible. The minimum and maximum envelope (fold and unfold) will be the primary issue followed by seat width.

Our first issue will be the fact that our tread is only about 30-32 inches, so the envelope needs to be low.

The seat width on center is next at about 19 inches, so this will restrict the size of the armrest or anything mounted to it.

Seating companies only have 2 or 3 seat widths. The measurements are met by adjusting the arm standards.

So we have learned that every SEC school does not have cupholders, and that some SEC schools have in fact built new arenas since Carolina did.

And some will still leave this thread saying we're the only school in the conference with no cupholders even though we have the newest arena.

Reactions: Silverspur02
So we have learned that every SEC school does not have cupholders, and that some SEC schools have in fact built new arenas since Carolina did.

And some will still leave this thread saying we're the only school in the conference with no cupholders even though we have the newest arena.
I will admit that I am wrong and acknowledge there are two newer basketball venue than the Colonial Life Arena. Looking back in hindsight, I just wished South Carolina would of stayed at the Carolina Coliseum.

Reactions: coolcock2001

We've also learned that you don't have to have the newest arena to have cupholders. You can retrofit the arena which most resembles the CLA (same architect?) with them.

I will admit that I am wrong and acknowledge there are two newer basketball venue than the Colonial Life Arena. Looking back in hindsight, I just wished South Carolina would of stayed at the Carolina Coliseum.
I can agree with that statement. Here's the deal: Carolina Coliseum was fine for basketball. The point of CLA was concerts and monster trucks and all that other stuff. Once again, something nice the university did for the whole area/whole state. Do we hear any thanks from Clemson fans going to concerts? Nope, but typical. Taters come over and use our pool for high school swim meets, then run it down. We are the flagship university of the state but get nothing but grief off many people. Shoulda kept our nice 10k seat historic arena but had to try and look out for the Midlands

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Seating companies only have 2 or 3 seat widths. The measurements are met by adjusting the arm standards.
Correct. Camatic is different though. They have several many different styles of seating, but they also put their quantum seats on rails. The seats can be added, removed or repositioned within seconds. The quantums can be anywhere from 18” to 23”. 19” is minimum for an armrest though. They’re top of the line.

I can agree with that statement. Here's the deal: Carolina Coliseum was fine for basketball. The point of CLA was concerts and monster trucks and all that other stuff. Once again, something nice the university did for the whole area/whole state. Do we hear any thanks from Clemson fans going to concerts? Nope, but typical. Taters come over and use our pool for high school swim meets, then run it down. We are the flagship university of the state but get nothing but grief off many people. Shoulda kept our nice 10k seat historic arena but had to try and look out for the Midlands
McGee wasn't looking our for the Midlands, The University owns and operated the Coliseum not the athletic department and he saw dollar signs in a new arena that he stuck the city and county for half the cost of. Temple Ligon had designed an enlargement and remodeling of the Coliseum that would have kept the charm and history of the place but all McGee cared about was his bottom line, The collapse of the relationship between Fogler and McGee was also a part of this. Fogler told him he was crazy to build a facility that large and that the Coliseum and the then new practice facilty (now Volleyball Center) were perfect. Just needed some TLC

McGee wasn't looking our for the Midlands, The University owns and operated the Coliseum not the athletic department and he saw dollar signs in a new arena that he stuck the city and county for half the cost of. Temple Ligon had designed an enlargement and remodeling of the Coliseum that would have kept the charm and history of the place but all McGee cared about was his bottom line, The collapse of the relationship between Fogler and McGee was also a part of this. Fogler told him he was crazy to build a facility that large and that the Coliseum and the then new practice facilty (now Volleyball Center) were perfect. Just needed some TLC
Not exactly the most forward thinking individual (McGee). "An NFL team wants to play in our stadium? Kick rocks; go talk to our rival." Also helped run minor league baseball out of town iirc. At least he landed Holtz

Correct. Camatic is different though. They have several many different styles of seating, but they also put their quantum seats on rails. The seats can be added, removed or repositioned within seconds. The quantums can be anywhere from 18” to 23”. 19” is minimum for an armrest though. They’re top of the line.

i am not familiar with Carmatic. I am with Hussy. They were usually to low price option and supplied the theater business. Theaters are designed for a 7to 10 year life span. Well made seating is made for the duration. the lower end products bases are usually made of steel, consequently they rust and create an accoustic problem. You should be able to remodel and reuse your seatin.

i am not familiar with Carmatic. I am with Hussy. They were usually to low price option and supplied the theater business. Theaters are designed for a 7to 10 year life span. Well made seating is made for the duration. the lower end products bases are usually made of steel, consequently they rust and create an accoustic problem. You should be able to remodel and reuse your seatin.
Camatic Quantum is what most pro stadiums are using now. They've completely changed the seating market with their flexible seating. They used the Cowboys as their guinea pig, and it worked extremely well to the point that everyone else followed suit. These seats can be compressed from their normal 21-23 inches down to 18.5 inches, which is still slightly larger than a seat at Williams Brice.

Reactions: king ward
Camatic Quantum is what most pro stadiums are using now. They've completely changed the seating market with their flexible seating. They used the Cowboys as their guinea pig, and it worked extremely well to the point that everyone else followed suit. These seats can be compressed from their normal 21-23 inches down to 18.5 inches, which is still slightly larger than a seat at Williams Brice.

They had me when I saw the cupholders.

Here are a few who are not using them: Wilson, Buffalo, Met Life, Meadowlands, Marlins, Miami, Quicken, Cleveland, Mercedes, New Orleans, Miller, Milwaukee, Comiskey, Chicago, Wrigley, Chicago, Tiger Detroit, Dodger LA, am& T Baltimore, Busch, St Louis, Minutemaid, Houston. I can go on, but these are ones one I am familiar due to my association with the supplier and HOK. Please let me know which pro parks are using Camatic. It sounds like an interesting product.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT