ADVERTISEMENT

Conversation coming out of PickensTek is that Zion....

What else would you expect from a school that teaches earth is the largest and most funnest planet in the word. I once heard the athletic dept. once panicked before a football game when the consession stand employee that was responsible for the ice machines showed up late and had to return home to get his ice makimg recipie that he had forgotten and left home without earlier that day

Reactions: NaturalGC7
Quit with the outbidding crap. It makes us look stupid. When we get a really good player are we outbidding everyone? We get top 100 baseball players left and right, and we aren’t outbidding anyone. The kids just want to play for a winner. If Brownell, Martin and Coach K were in your kids living room and he was a top 3 player in the nation, who do you think gets more of your attention? Coach K hands down.

I would love a link, just to laugh at whoever is saying that. Not that I don’t believe that’s what is being said.

Reactions: CockIN73
Quit with the outbidding crap. It makes us look stupid. When we get a really good player are we outbidding everyone? We get top 100 baseball players left and right, and we aren’t outbidding anyone. The kids just want to play for a winner. If Brownell, Martin and Coach K were in your kids living room and he was a top 3 player in the nation, who do you think gets more of your attention? Coach K hands down.
What makes us look stupid is not having a sense of humor.. Why on earth expect fairness objectivity for the taters on a Gamecock website.. Who the heck takes this stuff seriously

Yes but who beat the almighty Dookies and Coach K last March? Outplayed and outcoached by Frank Martin. How soon we forget.

Reactions: okccock
They're glad they didn't get him. His one and done status would have created the Zion show and been a distraction to the team. He has no ball handling skills or outside game. His talent will not transition well to the college level.

Just a few things I've heard from some taters.

Reactions: TRUEGARNET
What makes us look stupid is not having a sense of humor.. Why on earth expect fairness objectivity for the taters on a Gamecock website.. Who the heck takes this stuff seriously
Some of the idiots that post it as fact a month later because they read it here first, just saying!

They're glad they didn't get him. His one and done status would have created the Zion show and been a distraction to the team. He has no ball handling skills or outside game. His talent will not transition well to the college level.

Just a few things I've heard from some taters.

wow, I've heard some of this too, but you don't average 30plus, just by dunking the ball. #2 recruits in the country "typically" have a few other skills.

Reactions: QC Cock and BigTomE
wow, I've heard some of this too, but you don't average 30plus, just by dunking the ball. #2 recruits in the country "typically" have a few other skills.
Actually there is some truth there. He plays for an extremely small SCISA school which means almost all of his points come from easy dunks against kids that are about 6" shorter and waaaaaayyy less talented. In all of his highlight reels I've never seen one jumper or j shot.

Just a thought, but maybe, just maybe, recruiting 'gurus' assumed that private schools (Zion attended Spartanburg Country Day) in SC were (athletically) equal to those in Florida, California, Texas, etc., perhaps contributing to Zion's high rating - along with his very impressive physical attributes.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Actually there is some truth there. He plays for an extremely small SCISA school which means almost all of his points come from easy dunks against kids that are about 6" shorter and waaaaaayyy less talented. In all of his highlight reels I've never seen one jumper or j shot.

I have a friend that has a grandson playing for Spartanburg Christian, he was showing me a video his grandson guarding Zion. His grandson is only 5'9". Do I think that Zion is talented? Yes of course, but he also needs a lot of development. I would not be surprise that he plays more than one year at Duke. In one way Clemson and USC might have dodged a bullet, if Zion had attended either and was not a one and done, it would have looked bad on the program. This way if he fails to be an one and done player at Duke, it is on the player needing more development. We all know that Coach K can develop NBA players, right?

Reactions: okccock

He plays in an independent HS league. Most church teams would wipe the floor with his HS team. He obviously has potential just by looking at his size and seeing his athleticism (dunk videos). If you knew nothing more than that alone, he’d be worth recruiting, but I’ll withhold crowning him the next King James until I see him actually play against other players who can more closely match his size and abilities.

He plays in an independent HS league. Most church teams would wipe the floor with his HS team. He obviously has potential just by looking at his size and seeing his athleticism (dunk videos). If you knew nothing more than that alone, he’d be worth recruiting, but I’ll withhold crowning him the next King James until I see him actually play against other players who can more closely match his size and abilities.

Here, Here! We shall see.

It doesn't matter with one-and-done players. If he plays his cards right, and he will, he won't even have to go to class. By the time he would go on academic probation, his season would be over.

Am I wrong about that? That's what I keep hearing about UK players.
Just have to get through the first semester.

Reactions: TheReelEss
It doesn't matter with one-and-done players. If he plays his cards right, and he will, he won't even have to go to class. By the time he would go on academic probation, his season would be over.

Am I wrong about that? That's what I keep hearing about UK players.

I think they have to maintain some basic level of scheduled hours to be eligible as student athletes. Now, what classes are taken & with the beauty of online classes now, this maybe more window dressing. As I understand it the Ben Simmons fall out was he was registered for some classes, and just quit going. I think K, Roy, & Calipari prep against that, UNC just took it the extra step of attendance not being necessary, and you could hand in your paragraph at the end of the semester.

I think they have to maintain some basic level of scheduled hours to be eligible as student athletes. Now, what classes are taken & with the beauty of online classes now, this maybe more window dressing. As I understand it the Ben Simmons fall out was he was registered for some classes, and just quit going. I think K, Roy, & Calipari prep against that, UNC just took it the extra step of attendance not being necessary, and you could hand in your paragraph at the end of the semester.
Thanks for the clarification.

Clemson is an egotistical groupthink organization. Remember their President ranked them above Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, and others.
Clemson is just another land grant college that only gained university status in the last fifty years. They have to rely on propaganda to promote their brand in everything but football.

Clemson is just another land grant college that only gained university status in the last fifty years. They have to rely on propaganda to promote their brand in everything but football.

HOWEVER . . . . .they still don't have a VET SCHOOL! How sorry can you get when you're a LAND GRANT school and you don't even have a VET SCHOOL? Their land grant status should be revoked and returned to the University of South Carolina from whom they STOLE it!

Reactions: rogue cock
This is simply not true. First off, Spartanburg day has several good players if you've actually watched any of their games, they almost beat Chino Hills CA the other night. They play several big-time tournaments and also play out of state schools. On top of that, there are some good basketball schools at the scisa aa level. A church league team would not even come close to beating them. But most of all, he plays AAU basketball the rest of the year and gets the best competition there is and dominates that as well. Get a clue.

Don't take much to get into Duke if you can play. They'll send him over to NC Central to take classes and 2nd semester he won't go cause he won't care if he passes or not because the draft will be coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT