ADVERTISEMENT

Cotton bowl

joplin gamecock1

Nov 27, 2016
It is really weird seeing ohio state vs. usc in the cotton bowl instead of the rose bowl. I know with the playoffs every few yrs like this year it wont be tacking the big 10 verses the pac 12 but it is for sure odd. Thats a rose bowl game if there ever was one.Why is it on dec.29? I thought it was a new years day bowl. At least i thought it was always on news year day. Does that take away the prestige it has always had?

It is really weird seeing ohio state vs. usc in the cotton bowl instead of the rose bowl. I know with the playoffs every few yrs like this year it wont be tacking the big 10 verses the pac 12 but it is for sure odd. Thats a rose bowl game if there ever was one.Why is it on dec.29? I thought it was a new years day bowl. At least i thought it was always on news year day. Does that take away the prestige it has always had?
usc is playing in the Outback Bowl against Michigan.

Makes about as much sense as Oklahoma and Georgia playing in the Rose Bowl. The average fan will be watching it all on tv.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1

Gamecocks fans should always refer to Southern Cal as Southern Cal.

The game is on the 29th because it is a Friday and is easy for folks to watch. Plus it doesn't interfere with the playoffs. Just a good primetime event on a Friday

In my mind it isn't the Cotton Bowl anymore because it isn't played in the Cotton Bowl. Instead they moved it across town to Jerry's World just like any other neutral field matchup they like to put together. Figure it is just a matter of time before the Oklahoma/Texas game lands there as well

They are just doing to college football what they did to NASCAR. Take out the uniqueness and tradition and it becomes less interesting.

In my mind it isn't the Cotton Bowl anymore because it isn't played in the Cotton Bowl. Instead they moved it across town to Jerry's World just like any other neutral field matchup they like to put together. Figure it is just a matter of time before the Oklahoma/Texas game lands there as well
Right. They expanded the Cotton Bowl and refurbished it some, but not enough for the Cotton Bowl Committee to hold the even in the stadium that bears its name. But, it can be awful weather-wise out there that time of year. I remember a Kansas St - Tennessee Cotton Bowl game that was played with the temperatures in the teens. I've seen more than one like that out there. I would hate to travel out there to sit in that.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
They are just doing to college football what they did to NASCAR. Take out the uniqueness and tradition and it becomes less interesting.

Except college football ratings are great and NASCAR’s are in sharp decline. I like it. Under the old system, we had zero chance to make it to the Rose Bowl. Now at least have a chance every third year.

Also, they’re trying to keep fan bases from repeatedly going to the same venues. Ohio State has been to the Fiesta many times lately, so this year their fans get to experience Dallas. Don’t see anything wrong with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT