ADVERTISEMENT

Could we go way of LSU in baseball from several years ago?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
I remember several years back, their baseball coach went on to become Athletic Director at the school and if memory serves, they hired the coach from Louisiana lafayette (who coached team that beat our super team in supers that year). He was clearly over his head at LSU and after a few years, the AD decided to come back to coach LSU and got them back to where they felt they should be. Do we see a chance that if Tanner feels things are going to far south for this team that he decides he misses coaching and decides to come back to the head position and then someone else becomes AD at Carolina? Just a thought and any LSU fan can chime in and correct me if I am wrong about this.

Smoke Lavall. His name comes up weekly in Holbrook discussions. I've considered the comparison since last year. The only problem is Smoke's LSU career after replacing a legend did "go up in smoke" but not before he took LSU to Omaha. Chad does not look like he's getting us any closer to Omaha-if anything it looks like further away.

This post was edited on 4/13 1:55 PM by sclawman77

Originally posted by CCUIrmo:
I remember several years back, their baseball coach went on to become Athletic Director at the school and if memory serves, they hired the coach from Louisiana lafayette (who coached team that beat our super team in supers that year). He was clearly over his head at LSU and after a few years, the AD decided to come back to coach LSU and got them back to where they felt they should be. Do we see a chance that if Tanner feels things are going to far south for this team that he decides he misses coaching and decides to come back to the head position and then someone else becomes AD at Carolina? Just a thought and any LSU fan can chime in and correct me if I am wrong about this.
Several folks have made that comparison and they were shut down... But, you can't help not stop and think about the comparison...

This post was edited on 4/13 1:56 PM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

Didnt mean to bring it back up but I usually ignore most negative baseball posts because I like Holbrook alot and want him to be successful for the school and for himself. however, after this weekend, you really have to start wondering about things because the mistakes that were made were mistakes made by a team that mentally has lost all baseball confidence and I dont know if he is able to help them get it back.

very good observation. Rod will be happy that his message is reaching others..

Just stating the obvious. I've been making that comparison since Holbrook's 1st season. Caught a lot of crap over it, but sadly, it's true.

Like a previous poster did say, though.....Smoke did get one of his early LSU teams to Omaha. Holbrook won't come close.

Originally posted by CCUIrmo:
Skip Bertman did not return to the field. Smoke Laval was fired and Paul Mainieri hired.

FWIW...LSU won it all in 2009, lost in Regionals in 2010, and didn't even make the post season in 2011. Bad seasons happen to everyone.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you will let it ruin your life, as many are coming across.
This post was edited on 4/13 2:01 PM by USCBatgirl21

^
Nobody is contemplating ending their lives or losing large amounts of sleep over our poor baseball season. That is not the discussion. People are venting because the baseball program is declining, Holbrook looks clueless as a manager and he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Nothing would suit me better than to see Tanner back on the sidelines, but it ain't going to happen !

Nor is he going to get rid of Chad. I just hope we find some way to get the train back on the tracks soon.

Originally posted by Hanahan Bill:

Nothing would suit me better than to see Tanner back on the sidelines, but it ain't going to happen !

Nor is he going to get rid of Chad. I just hope we find some way to get the train back on the tracks soon.
It probably won't be anytime soon. This team has looked shell-shocked most of the time since the UK series.

Beautiful facility, great fans, potentially a profitable 'minor' sport every year, great media support state-wide . . . and we've been skidding downhill for the past three years.

I like Tanner, but he created this mess when he pushed for and got the AD's job. Now, the buck stops at his desk, so it's his job to get the baseball program back on track.

Rod and others said a long time ago Smoke Laval = Chad Holbrook. There were a lot of folks that didn't want to believe it. Not any more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT