ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo's comments on the hiring of Shane Beamer

castlesl

Aug 4, 2006
I think they made a good hire.

I consider Shane a friend. Good person. Known him for a long time. He’s always stayed in touch over the years. Got a sweet wife. Great family guy.

I have tons of respect for his entire family. Frank Beamer is one of the good guys in this business and I became good friends with him when VT joined the ACC.

I’ve known Shane a long time. He was with Woody McCorvey at Mississippi State.

Really good person. Has been very successful as a football coach.

He’s our rival and all that type of stuff, but I have a lot of respect for him as a person, a man, a father, a husband and a football coach. I think they hired a good man.

Talked to him over the phone last week and had a good conversation.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative, although he never said anything positive about Will that i can recall.

I consider Shane a friend. Good person. Known him for a long time. He’s always stayed in touch over the years. Got a sweet wife. Great family guy.

I have tons of respect for his entire family. Frank Beamer is one of the good guys in this business and I became good friends with him when VT joined the ACC.

He’s our rival and all that type of stuff, but I have a lot of respect for him as a person, a man, a father, a husband and a football coach. I think they hired a good man.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative, although he never said anything positive about Will that i can recall.
This sounds great to me. I wonder how the Clemson fans reacted to this.

I get the impression there is real hate between Dabo and Will.

He seemed to echo apparently Beamer strongest point on the resume. He is a good guy, that everybody likes a lot. Do you think Dabo is worried in the least about USC hiring Shane Beamer?

Probably not at this point. Lots of great guys out there, Derek Dooley comes to mind. It takes time to build a program. Maybe in 2-3 years if Shane has some good success.

He seemed to echo apparently Beamer strongest point on the resume. He is a good guy, that everybody likes a lot. Do you think Dabo is worried in the least about USC hiring Shane Beamer?
Not right now he is! But time will tell!

I have a lot more respect for Dabo than Muschamp. Dabo basically taught himself how to lead and manage a D1 program. He's relentless and if you're not on board, he will eject you immediately.

Muschamp was handed the keys to two top level SEC teams and couldn't even keep the lights on. Pathetic

Frankly, I like Dabo.

Reactions: Zann77
I have a lot more respect for Dabo than Muschamp. Dabo basically taught himself how to lead and manage a D1 program. He's relentless and if you're not on board, he will eject you immediately.

Muschamp was handed the keys to two top level SEC teams and couldn't even keep the lights on. Pathetic
I wouldn't really consider the team Spurrier left Will a "top level SEC team".

By comparison, what has Dabo said about Spurrier and Saban?

I wouldn't expect Dabo to say anything negative about our new coach on the day we announce the new hire. But make no mistake, the psychological warfare between the coaches starts right now. Beamer needs to make comments very soon emphasizing that he fully expects the South Carolina Gamecocks to be the dominant football program in this state very soon.

• Haha
Reactions: GCDC1959

It pains me to say this about dabo, but you’re spot on. I’ve read a lot of positive comments from coaches and college football pundits about Shane Beamer the last couple of days. I’m onboard, and ready to see what he can do here.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Was going to say the same thing. Trash talk is one thing but you leave family out of it. Extremely disrespectful (but Muskrat was garbage). In the area of SC I grew up in, Dabo would have had free rein to beat Muschamp down. Unfortunately, he just did it on the football field.
Muschamp was socially awkward, to say the least and in his most favorable light.

Probably not at this point. Lots of great guys out there, Derek Dooley comes to mind. It takes time to build a program. Maybe in 2-3 years if Shane has some good success.

Derek Dooley? How far did you have to go to dig up that disaster? I'm sure he is a nice guy. I'm sure the folks in Knoxville loved those ridiculous orange pants he wore. Also sure that he was a total failure as a head coach.

Derek Dooley? How far did you have to go to dig up that disaster? I'm sure he is a nice guy. I'm sure the folks in Knoxville loved those ridiculous orange pants he wore. Also sure that he was a total failure as a head coach.

Just an example of a super nice guy from a great football family that most people thought well of but it just didn’t work.

He got it half right.
Which half....neither could be considered top level teams when he took over. I'll grant he did little to improve either (except improve UF's defense), but UF is just now getting back to that level and we haven't sniffed since 2 years prior to him taking over.

A lot of us didn’t either.

F Dabo. He orchestrated a scripted rant to the media so he could disparage the entire University not just athletics. I understand why he did it (we were beating that a** at the time and he had to say something) but it doesn’t change what he said or at whose expense. To each his or her own, but it’s beyond me how anyone who supports the University can “like” him.

No doubt. I think they loathed one another.

Doubtful. Dabo said about Muschamp:

“My heart breaks for him. I understand. I get it. But certainly, my thoughts are with he and his family. The Good Lord will open up another door somewhere and they will hire a great coach down there and so forth, but it is the really tough part of this business that is for sure.”

“He has always been well respected in this profession as a great coach. We compete against each other and obviously that is our rival and all of that, but these are lives. I am not the person who is cheering that someone lost their job,” Swinney said. “It is a very tough business, as we all know, and as coaches, we all know we are only good as your last game or certainly year to year. It is not something you enjoy seeing.”

And though they are not close, Swinney said he has always been appreciative to how open Muschamp was to him and his staff when they visited Texas back in 2009, when he was Mack Brown’s defensive coordinator at the time. Swinney said. “Probably the most time I spent with him was when he was at Texas and I went with our staff and he was incredibly gracious with his time. He was super nice. He was really, really helpful. He spent a lot of time with our staff and that is probably the most I had been around Will.

Doubtful. Dabo said about Muschamp:

“My heart breaks for him. I understand. I get it. But certainly, my thoughts are with he and his family. The Good Lord will open up another door somewhere and they will hire a great coach down there and so forth, but it is the really tough part of this business that is for sure.”

“He has always been well respected in this profession as a great coach. We compete against each other and obviously that is our rival and all of that, but these are lives. I am not the person who is cheering that someone lost their job,” Swinney said. “It is a very tough business, as we all know, and as coaches, we all know we are only good as your last game or certainly year to year. It is not something you enjoy seeing.”

And though they are not close, Swinney said he has always been appreciative to how open Muschamp was to him and his staff when they visited Texas back in 2009, when he was Mack Brown’s defensive coordinator at the time. Swinney said. “Probably the most time I spent with him was when he was at Texas and I went with our staff and he was incredibly gracious with his time. He was super nice. He was really, really helpful. He spent a lot of time with our staff and that is probably the most I had been around Will.

He is just being Nice. Dabo did not like Will. Will was flippant and made a joke about the man’s wife. Will let it be known time and time again to other coaches that he believed Dabo was fake and lacked sincerity. Dabo was made aware of Will’s feelings and i promise you Dabo didn’t think much of Will either.

Reactions: cockgun
He is just being Nice. Dabo did not like Will. Will was flippant and made a joke about the man’s wife. Will let it be known time and time again to other coaches that he believed Dabo was fake and lacked sincerity. Dabo was made aware of Will’s feelings and i promise you Dabo didn’t think much of Will either.
I’ve heard this same thing. There’s no love lost between the two.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was about to say this. The only nice thing he really had to say was interacting with Will at Texas, nothing about here.

Reactions: Zann77
It's hilarious how some Gamecock fans like Dabo. When he clearly has no respect for the School, football program, or the fans. No Coach at either school in history has bashed the other program like Dabo has. Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome for some. All I have to say is Fuc$ Dabo

Last edited:
It's hilarious how some Gamecock fans like Dabo. When he clearly has no respect for the School, football program, or the fans. No Coach at either school in history has bashed the other program like Dabo has. Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome for some. All have to say Fuc$ Dabo

Dude, move on with your life. Spurrier took a lot of jags at Dabo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT