ADVERTISEMENT

Defense gave up in 2nd half...

Noonoo-33

Aug 20, 2018
...after being at the game and now watched it on tv i am ashamed to say that our effort in the 3rd quarter was terrible. Talent is one thing but effort and “want to” is another. Tired of seeing this as a repetitive theme. This is not the first time. Talent is not there but we lack determination. It’s the second game and it can get better. I hope.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
We cannot afford to play less than 100 percent at all times or we will have a disaster of a season. Kentucky has not recruited better than we have but they are tough and do not quit, and we have lost the last 4 games with them with arguably better talent. Desire to win is paramount to to anything you do.

Like Lou used to say - the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half usually decide the game

Reactions: 4ever2thee
Look, I was not enamored when we hired Boom, but he’s our Coach. One thing that MANY of you still don’t get is how incredibly far behind we were when he arrived. Spurrier quit recruiting after he signed Clowney. Everybody else was plowing ahead. Then, Murphy’s Law arrives and Clemp and UGA become 2 of the best in the country. That’s like being Wake Forest in basketball. This is going to take a monumental effort. I don’t know if Boom is the guy, but we owe him at least 5 years unless the on-field performance clearly evidences he’s lost the program.

Look, I was not enamored when we hired Boom, but he’s our Coach. One thing that MANY of you still don’t get is how incredibly far behind we were when he arrived. Spurrier quit recruiting after he signed Clowney. Everybody else was plowing ahead. Then, Murphy’s Law arrives and Clemp and UGA become 2 of the best in the country. That’s like being Wake Forest in basketball. This is going to take a monumental effort. I don’t know if Boom is the guy, but we owe him at least 5 years unless the on-field performance clearly evidences he’s lost the program.
Behind or not, you don't quit when you're behind in the 3rd quarter and things aren't going your way. Those were all Muschamp players on defense arm grabbing and holding their heads down. That had nothing to do with Spurrier. Boom told us he could coach maximum effort, toughness and discipline. I didn't see any of those traits displayed on Saturday. It was the exact opposite of what I would expect from a Muschamp coached team.

Behind or not, you don't quit when you're behind in the 3rd quarter and things aren't going your way. Those were all Muschamp players on defense arm grabbing and holding their heads down. That had nothing to do with Spurrier. Boom told us he could coach maximum effort, toughness and discipline. I didn't see any of those traits displayed on Saturday. It was the exact opposite of what I would expect from a Muschamp coached team.
Fair enough. I just look at it a little differently. We were outclassed in every phase. The game was over. 10 more games to go. UGA got waxed last year by Aub. It happens. We don’t have the talent (that many posters around here bragged that we did have). There are no Swearingers and Clowneys kicking ass on the sideline. I don’t know if Boom is the guy, but I had zero illusions going into Saturday. Frankly, it went exactly the way I thought it would. UGA is very deep and fast. Every set of fresh legs is as fast as whom they replaced. These are kids.

...after being at the game and now watched it on tv i am ashamed to say that our effort in the 3rd quarter was terrible. Talent is one thing but effort and “want to” is another. Tired of seeing this as a repetitive theme. This is not the first time. Talent is not there but we lack determination. It’s the second game and it can get better. I hope.
No they didn't. They were just overwhelmed by the depth

Reactions: mavcock
They did not quit, took bad angles and didn't wrap up but they did not quit. These players get up early and bust their butts for this team and you the fans. If anything I think you quit on them like when you empty the stands at half time.

Reactions: Garnetskies
No that my opinion means chit....but I played college ball and imho our guys did not quit they just hung their heads too much but the effort was there, then the lack of depth wore them out.Dline especially ,if your on average giving yp 60lbs per man by halfway thru thr 3rd quarter all that weight leaning on you begins to take its toll.Gonna take a cpl years but one day we will have d tackles backing up dtAckles that weigh 300-325 lbs and dends weighing 275 -300

You guys are ridiculous. It’s gonna take until at least Game 11 to know if we put any effort forth in the 2nd half of Game 2.....

We were only down by 10 at halftime. This was not some insurmountable deficit.

. . . and we literally gift wrapped the TD.

Re: our second-half performance: I didn't get it 'live' and I still don't get it looking at the replay. What in the hell happened? UGA must have had something real sweet in that 'oxygen machine' they had on the sideline.

No that my opinion means chit....but I played college ball and imho our guys did not quit they just hung their heads too much but the effort was there, then the lack of depth wore them out.Dline especially ,if your on average giving yp 60lbs per man by halfway thru thr 3rd quarter all that weight leaning on you begins to take its toll.Gonna take a cpl years but one day we will have d tackles backing up dtAckles that weigh 300-325 lbs and dends weighing 275 -300
Sounds realistic until you look and see our defense wasn't on the field much in the first half and Georgias was out there for 46 plays.

If CleMson can do it why can’t we? Get an offensive mind in here that isn’t a project himself

The didn't give up. UGA has a huge, strong, talented and deep group of offensive linemen. The game plan is to always run and punish the opponent. It was hotter than hell and USC defense was not deep enough to rotate fresh players of the same level of talent.

The state of Georgia is deep with high school talent while SC is a small state with two top-tier schools vying for players. Clemson has done a good job of recruiting outside the state, and Muschamp will have success with the same. It takes time to build that type of depth. With FL ST, Miami, TN and FL struggling, USC has an opportunity to cash in.

Last edited:
Brunson intimated that some people weren't up to the stress of the game during the second half. Whether what he was talking about constituted quitting or not, I don't know.

Didnt someone come back from 31 against ucla last year. I know in 2010, auburn came from behind 28 twice that year and i think they hag a halftime lead all year. I know they had a lot of big com backs. It because they never quit and remained confident. Somebody will do it again this also

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT