ADVERTISEMENT

Del Wilkes Died

Folks, I just saw this! Something for some reason inclined me to check the other site (I never do
such!!), and I saw this about Del.

I am devastated. Del was one of the ones that won me over FOR CERTAIN back in 1984!! Del Wilkes was as big a part of that 1984 team than the entire remaining Offensive Line!! Del Wilkes was a damned Fine and Wonderful Gamecock, and with him passes a very, Very, VERY Large Portion of that 1984 Team, and I am merely referencing his character, personality and overall persona here!!! Del Wilkes was 1984 Gamecock Football!!

Del Wilkes, May he NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!

This is one local celebrity who I sort of knew through my father who was a bodybuilder and knew him from the gym. He recognized me and spoke whenever I ran into him around town over the years. One thing I can confirm is that Del Wilkes was a super nice guy to everyone. Columbia lost a good one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
This is one local celebrity who I sort of knew through my father and was friends with on Facebook. I ran into him around town from time to time over the years.

For those that don’t know he is former Gamecock football player and Professional Wrestler in the WWE and other companies.
Yep same here. I didn’t know him personally but I did run into him a few times and he’d speak like he knew you.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I am so glad GCC did the feature story about Del a few months back. I so enjoyed that feature story, Del talked about the 1984 game with Navy and it was so interesting. RIP Del you are a tribute to the Gamecock Football Program.

86’ here. He gave us a state championship, along with Rodney Williams in 1980 over Summerville 23-0.
I’m heartbroken, just hearing this! What a life though! Rest in peace Del.

First Del was great guy. Was teammates with him on Irmo"s 1979-80 team which was his Sr. year and we lost to Summerville for the state championship. It was my Sr. year of 1980-81 team that won over Summerville 23-0, Del was freshman at USC. Also other correction is Williams was not the QB (I think he was a 9th grader did some practice team work with us), Mark White was the starting QB.

Not trying to be a jerk about this just want the correct info out there.

First Del was great guy. Was teammates with him on Irmo"s 1979-80 team which was his Sr. year and we lost to Summerville for the state championship. It was my Sr. year of 1980-81 team that won over Summerville 23-0, Del was freshman at USC. Also other correction is Williams was not the QB (I think he was a 9th grader did some practice team work with us), Mark White was the starting QB.

Not trying to be a jerk about this just want the correct info out there.
Who are you? We were teammates.

James Weaks #63 O-line

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT