ADVERTISEMENT

Did Joyner Show us What Satterfield was Hoping for in a Healthy Doty?

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
Without a doubt, Doty (who reportedly was a faster QB than Shaw) was the chosen QB to scheme for this team's strengths/weaknesses, but with his nagging injury, Satterfield had to adjust for Zeb instead. And a less than 100% healthy Harris didn't help matters with a below average blocking O-line and a less than mobile QB taking the majority of the snaps.

I know it's one game but for the moment, I believe we saw what Satterfield can do with a QB who can make plays with his legs.

Without a doubt, Doty (who reportedly was a faster QB than Shaw) was the chosen QB to scheme for this team's strengths/weaknesses, but with his nagging injury, Satterfield had to adjust for Zeb instead. And a less than 100% healthy Harris didn't help matters with a below average blocking O-line and a less than mobile QB taking the majority of the snaps.

I know it's one game but for the moment, I believe we saw what Satterfield can do with a QB who can make plays with his legs.
Dak was on the team when Doty went down, right? Also, he was probably already in playing shape too. So why did Satterfield "have" to adjust for Zeb, who wasn't even a player on the team when it happened? 🤔

Dak was on the team when Doty went down, right? Also, he was probably already in playing shape too. So why did Satterfield "have" to adjust for Zeb, who wasn't even a player on the team when it happened? 🤔
Joyner had previously not shown quite that throwing ability so the coaches probably didn't know he'd be capable of it until they got into bowl practices.

Yes, absolutely. The coaches said point blank that Doty is head and shoulders our best option at QB and the other players weren't even making it a competition. I look at the Vandy game, the coaches and Doty said going in that it was the first time he was feeling good on that foot. He started out 6 of 7 in which every ball was perfectly placed, including a 35 yard pass to Bell, hitting him in stride, right in the bread basket without any adjustment needing to be made and hitting Joyner being covered well just outside enough that Joyner can dive for it but it's not in danger even on an out route. Go back and just watch those first two possessions, and pay attention to how quickly he gets the ball out, he barely holds it too. Some say he missed Bell on a deep one and Vann bailed him out but that can only be asserted and not necessarily proven but even if we do accept that one, the only other bad throw is a rushed off platform throw that's tossed a little high to Vann due to a blown block on the RPO and im not entirely sure he wasn't throwing it away because he wasn't sure if he surveyed for coverage well enough. However, just because he felt good going in doesn't mean his foot was good so the force of him throwing off of his bad foot aggravated the injury, presumably the pain affected his throws and he was as bad as could be after and the offense sputtered until Zeb came in during the 4th quarter, and I use as proof that he re-aggravated it that he had surgery right after that game. That was the only time prior to tonight the offense looked well oiled and it all fell apart with Doty's foot. I'm also relatively certain they expected more from the OL in the early goings then they got.

As a side note, if they turn protection calls to anyone but Douglas with how much his calls improved things, I might riot next season.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for Satterfield.
Did you think he could put together that game passing, because you saw the same tape they did. If all they saw of his passing was the lackluster record we have before he changed positions, then I don't know why they would expect more. Also, it's not like he has the best arm. He was accurate but I'd love you to point me to a throw that had anything like NFL velocity on it. We gameplanned around his strengths and got him prepared to play the game of his college career ove 15 practices, there is no room to criticize him anymore than there would be room to criticize Tanner for not having Roth pitch until the elimination game against Clemson.

I’d say this was because Zeb was able to learn the offense as a coach when some of the other guys were limited. Dak was move to WR and hadn’t thrown a pass since 2019. He wasn’t really in the discussion.

But some of you guys fall into the category of fans that Beamer criticized today. Nothing will make you happy. Not even doubling our expected win total predicted by Vegas. Not saying you necessarily. Just some will never be happy. I still have some reservations, but I got a lot more confidence in what we are trying to do after the 2nd half of the season.

I’d say this was because Zeb was able to learn the offense as a coach when some of the other guys were limited. Dak was move to WR and hadn’t thrown a pass since 2019. He wasn’t really in the discussion.
It's not you saying it, it's exactly what the coaches said, this guy is just holding onto the hate he already developed for Satt.

Did you think he could put together that game passing, because you saw the same tape they did. If all they saw of his passing was the lackluster record we have before he changed positions, then I don't know why they would expect more. Also, it's not like he has the best arm. He was accurate but I'd love you to point me to a throw that had anything like NFL velocity on it. We gameplanned around his strengths and got him prepared to play the game of his college career ove 15 practices, there is no room to criticize him anymore than there would be room to criticize Tanner for not having Roth pitch until the elimination game against Clemson.

But some of you guys fall into the category of fans that Beamer criticized today. Nothing will make you happy. Not even doubling our expected win total predicted by Vegas.
My answer's the same for both. If the offense was truly supposed to be be built around Doty and you have a fifth-year senior in Dak who has a similar skill set and you think Brown is out of shape/not ready to play, then why is your first move to name your GA coach the starting QB and your LAST move to give Dak a try? Sorry, that just doesn't make sense.

My answer's the same for both. If the offense was truly supposed to be be built around Doty and you have a fifth-year senior in Dak who has a similar skill set and you think Brown is out of shape/not ready to play, then why is your first move to name your GA coach the starting QB and your LAST move to give Dak a try? Sorry, that just doesn't make sense.
Dak didn't show a similar skill set, prior to tonight his passing has been in no way impressive, and it's really not nearly as relevant if it was built for Doty as if there was anyone else really capable of running a P5 offense. I also don't believe I asked a question, I just compared it to the best pitcher we've had not starting until we were faced with a similar situation with the greatest coach we've had in any sport whatsoever.

Dak didn't show a similar skill set, prior to tonight his passing has been in no way impressive, and it's really not nearly as relevant if it was built for Doty as if there was anyone else really capable of running a P5 offense. I also don't believe I asked a question, I just compared it to the best pitcher we've had not starting until we were faced with a similar situation with the greatest coach we've had in any sport whatsoever.
They were both mobile dual threat QBs. And whether or not you agree, Dak is a whole lot closer in skill set than Zeb. (Doty also hasn't exactly shown he has an elite arm either at this level, btw.)

The very question of the thread compared Joyner to Doty. I simply replied that if that was the case, then today's offense could've been happening since game one.

Regardless, my overall point is that as OC and QB coach, Satterfield hasn't exactly shown any consistency from recognizing and developing talent or game planning and play calling.

Today was one of his best efforts. But it's still (so far) the exception.

They were both mobile dual threat QBs. And whether or not you agree, Dak is a whole lot closer in skill set than Zeb. (Doty also hasn't exactly shown he has an elite arm either at this level, btw.)

The very question of the thread compared Joyner to Doty. I simply replied that if that was the case, then today's offense could've been happening since game one.

Regardless, my overall point is that as OC and QB coach, Satterfield hasn't exactly shown any consistency from recognizing and developing talent or game planning and play calling.

Today was one of his best efforts. But it's still (so far) the exception.
I had written Dak off completely. I'm all but certain that you had as well. So your argument here is disingenuous at best.

Can you just be happy that he came in and did what he did and admit you're surprised and that the coaches did a good job to make it happen?

That would make too much sense wouldn't it?

I had written Dak off completely. I'm all but certain that you had as well. So your argument here is disingenuous at best.

Can you just be happy that he came in and did what he did and admit you're surprised and that the coaches did a good job to make it happen?

That would make too much sense wouldn't it?
See, you just were itching to come back at me so bad, you've ignored the times I've said I'm very happy for Dak AND the win.

But I still very much question Satterfield as an OC for the multitude of reasons already stated.

See, you just were itching to come back at me so bad, you've ignored the times I've said I'm very happy for Dak AND the win.

But I still very much question Satterfield as an OC for the multitude of reasons already stated.
Right. You simply can't give credit where it's due regardless of your happiness for the win.

For the record though I haven't seen you say you were happy about it. I don't spend much time searching through your post. I just saw you going back and forth in this thread questioning why we didn't use Dak all year. Admit it... You were not calling for him to go in the game at QB. You had as little confidence in anything he could do as I did. The COACHES did this, and you can't stand it.

And no I wasn't itching to speak to you at all. I just saw you doing what you do and figured I would chime in. In fact your handle hasn't come to my mind until now since last night. But I wasn't surprised at who was having this discussion.

Right. You simply can't give credit where it's due regardless of your happiness for the win.

For the record though I haven't seen you say you were happy about it. I don't spend much time searching through your post. I just saw you going back and forth in this thread questioning why we didn't use Dak all year. Admit it... You were not calling for him to go in the game at QB. You had as little confidence in anything he could do as I did. The COACHES did this, and you can't stand it.

And no I wasn't itching to speak to you at all. I just saw you doing what you do and figured I would chime in. In fact your handle hasn't come to my mind until now since last night. But I wasn't surprised at who was having this discussion.
Well then your reading comprehension needs to be checked. I've given Dak plenty of credit in different threads. Research it or not, I DGAS.

And my back in forth in this thread was NOT about me saying Dak should've been starting the whole time. Rather, it was in response to the idea that this type of offense is maybe what Satterfield was "hoping" for with Doty. If that were truly the case, then it begs the question of why Dak has been a complete afterthought until this month.

Which calls into question -- once again -- Satterfield's ability to recognize and utilize the talent he has on hand.

I have to hand it to you guys that STILL preach the gospel of Doty, you do NOT give up and I salute you for it.
Tell me, were you one of the dozens that thought Joyner was a wasted scholarship prior to yesterday? If so, maybe you shouldn't have an opinion on a guy that has only been here two seasons and has been injured this whole past season.

I'm sure both Beamer and Satterfield both watched film of Joyner's first two years chucking the football with VERY limited success. It was going to be very hard for a QB to overcome that first impression in practice since the film was against live bullets. I was at all of those home games and witnessed the futility with my own eyes. What Joyner did in the Mayo Bowl was nothing short of amazing. I am beyond happy for him. Do I think he has a chance to win the starting QB job in the spring? NO. But he will be a very valuable wildcat QB option!

Well then your reading comprehension needs to be checked. I've given Dak plenty of credit in different threads. Research it or not, I DGAS.

And my back in forth in this thread was NOT about me saying Dak should've been starting the whole time. Rather, it was in response to the idea that this type of offense is maybe what Satterfield was "hoping" for with Doty. If that were truly the case, then it begs the question of why Dak has been a complete afterthought until this month.

Which calls into question -- once again -- Satterfield's ability to recognize and utilize the talent he has on hand.
And that question has been answered for you, Satterfield had said a QB must be a highly capable passer, there was no reason to think Joyner was prior to him showing out. If the coaches started to see flashes when they were forced to give him reps they didn't see in the limited reps before and damn near everyone who saw his previous play had written him off, then why would they try it, unless you think the limited reps we had to use on QB should've been used on Joyner, Roderick, Black, Leggette and all the other former QBs instead of using it on the guys we knew had the physical tools to throw and needed to get mentally ready in FCS transfer Brows, TFR Gauthier, and RSFR Doty and GA Noland, who unlike Joyner, the had previous tape of making big plays.

And that question has been answered for you, Satterfield had said a QB must be a highly capable passer, there was no reason to think Joyner was prior to him showing out. If the coaches started to see flashes when they were forced to give him reps they didn't see in the limited reps before and damn near everyone who saw his previous play had written him off, then why would they try it, unless you think the limited reps we had to use on QB should've been used on Joyner, Roderick, Black, Leggette and all the other former QBs instead of using it on the guys we knew had the physical tools to throw and needed to get mentally ready in FCS transfer Brows, TFR Gauthier, and RSFR Doty and GA Noland, who unlike Joyner, the had previous tape of making big plays.
And as I've said, NONE of the other QBs have shown any rocket arm or precision either. You can keep defending Satterfield because he called his THIRD good game here. But if you want to believe all his mealy-mouth excuses as to why he's made the decisions he's made up until now, then have fun with it.

Reactions: Lakecock1
And as I've said, NONE of the other QBs have shown any rocket arm or precision either. You can keep defending Satterfield because he called his THIRD good game here. But if you want to believe all his mealy-mouth excuses as to why he's made the decisions he's made up until now, then have fun with it.
They showed a hell of a lot more than Joyner. Watch the 2020 Mizzou game and you can see Doty hit a dart all with his arm with his legs wrapped up while in the process of being tackled to the ground throwing against his body to Nick Muse for 15 yards and that pass had more zip than you could probably get with a running start when you had your Wheaties that morning. I'll stop defending the program and the people entrusted with it when you stop cutting it down every chance you get, because you aren't helping a damn thing. You don't even have to praise the coaches, you would help a lot by just keeping your opinions to yourself for a year or so and seeing what happens.

Well, no matter what anybody thinks of this coaching staff, I'm a lot happier today than I would be if I had UNC's coaching staff.
Some crappy tackling....their loss, our gain.

Seems UNC has better talent than what they showed (but they were 6-6).

They showed a hell of a lot more than Joyner. Watch the 2020 Mizzou game and you can see Doty hit a dart all with his arm with his legs wrapped up while in the process of being tackled to the ground throwing against his body to Nick Muse for 15 yards and that pass had more zip than you could probably get with a running start when you had your Wheaties that morning. I'll stop defending the program and the people entrusted with it when you stop cutting it down every chance you get, because you aren't helping a damn thing. You don't even have to praise the coaches, you would help a lot by just keeping your opinions to yourself for a year or so and seeing what happens.
That's ONE pass. Congratulations. And he usually followed those up with wildly off the mark passes.

As for my posting, I'll post whatever the hell I want, WHENever the hell I want, thank you. If it bothers you so much, I highly recommend putting me on ignore, Karen.

Perhaps it is because it would be very difficult to get a QB who hasn't played the position or practiced it in 2 years to be ready to play in the 3 practices between games during the season, especially when you are trying to prepare for the next opponent during that time. The number of practices prior to the bowl game would give the coaches a lot more time to make that adjustment. JMO

Perhaps it is because it would be very difficult to get a QB who hasn't played the position or practiced it in 2 years to be ready to play in the 3 practices between games during the season, especially when you are trying to prepare for the next opponent during that time. The number of practices prior to the bowl game would give the coaches a lot more time to make that adjustment. JMO
Thats a good point but don't worry, LC will just find another angle to pretend he knows more than the coaches making exponentially bigger paychecks than his to COACH football.

That's ONE pass. Congratulations. And he usually followed those up with wildly off the mark passes.

As for my posting, I'll post whatever the hell I want, WHENever the hell I want, thank you. If it bothers you so much, I highly recommend putting me on ignore, Karen.
I'm not stopping you, so I'm not a Karen moron, but I'm gonna argue against you unless I feel your criticism is justified, and in year one it isn't

Tell me, were you one of the dozens that thought Joyner was a wasted scholarship prior to yesterday? If so, maybe you shouldn't have an opinion on a guy that has only been here two seasons and has been injured this whole past season.
Well my friend, had Doty come out at any point, in any game, end of 2020, spring of 2021, or season of 2021, ANY POINT, to indicate that he could lead a team like Joyner did in one game when given the opportunity Doty has been given countless times, you’d have a point. As it is, I simply see no profit in belaboring the Doty point, and yeah; that’s my opinion.

Well my friend, had Doty come out at any point, in any game, end of 2020, spring of 2021, or season of 2021, ANY POINT, to indicate that he could lead a team like Joyner did in one game when given the opportunity Doty has been given countless times, you’d have a point. As it is, I simply see no profit in belaboring the Doty point, and yeah; that’s my opinion.
Year 4 including resort vs year two w while injured, totally the same thing. Again, did you write off Joyner prior to one game in his 4th year

Reactions: myrtlecock
Year 4 including resort vs year two w while injured, totally the same thing. Again, did you write off Joyner prior to one game in his 4th year
Already said my mea culpas in the “Dak Joyner” thread. Here; let me repeat it for you.

Super impressed with Dak Joyner. I was wrong.

Also let me repeat; Doty played 50:1 qb snaps in games compared to Joyner. Had he ever shown ANYTHING like Joyner showed when given a game, you’d have a point. As it is….

Mm-k pumpkin?

Already said my mea culpas in the “Dak Joyner” thread. Here; let me repeat it for you.

Super impressed with Dak Joyner. I was wrong.

Also let me repeat; Doty played 50:1 qb snaps in games compared to Joyner. Had he ever shown ANYTHING like Joyner showed when given a game, you’d have a point. As it is….

Mm-k pumpkin?
Are you saying Joyner never had his shot before? Frankly that's wrong. Doty has looked way better than Joyner did going in against UGA, all you can tell if the end result, if you think Doty hasn't flashed than you can't see the tools that are there.

Maybe, maybe not. Like I said, I'm not advocating one way or the other. Just the Zeb situation felt like mismanagement of talent. Given how Satterfield is on record multiple times this season saying things about playcalling and personnel usage while the results on the field have been largely head-scrachting (at best), I'm just not ready to give him the benefit of the doubt after his third good game plan of the season.

I'm not stopping you, so I'm not a Karen moron, but I'm gonna argue against you unless I feel your criticism is justified, and in year one it isn't
Then quit telling people what they should and shouldn't be posting. As long as I'm not breaking any forum rules -- and I NEVER have -- I'll continue to state my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT