ADVERTISEMENT

Does Texas interview Muschamp ?

Lol. Will is not perceived as a winning coach especially in blue blood college football teams, he had his shot in their eyes. In three years it will be a very different story. As for now he is a joke to them until he proves different, and he will.

No. They would not even interview him. They think they are Alabama (with Saban not Shula), so they will only be looking at a few proven head coaches. And my guess is that with around 10 million to offer, they will find one.

Personally, I think Muschamp is going to do very well here, but with his tenure at Florida, their AD would not even consider him. Likewise, I hope Boom is potentially committed to us for the long haul (not another stepping stone job) since we did give him a second chance - and he may realize the grass is not necessarily greener at a traditional "power" school.

Lol. Will is not perceived as a winning coach especially in blue blood college football teams, he had his shot in their eyes. In three years it will be a very different story. As for now he is a joke to them until he proves different, and he will.
He has turned program around in a year , looks like he learned from Florida , just figured they would interview him even if Herman is done deal ...

There will be a riot in Austin if Tom Herman isn't hired. I put the chances at 99.9% for Herman. I have no clue who it will be if he refused. Although Muschamp was head coach in waiting, he left Texas in a bind when taking the Florida job (no matter how understandable his decision was). I would call him an extreme longshot, even if it weren't obvious Herman has it locked up. Expect Herman to be announced within a few days after the Texas-TCU game. Frankly, Chad Morris might be the favorite, if Herman declines. But Texas has been Herman's dream job since he was a grad assistant here.

No. They would not even interview him. They think they are Alabama (with Saban not Shula), so they will only be looking at a few proven head coaches. And my guess is that with around 10 million to offer, they will find one.

Personally, I think Muschamp is going to do very well here, but with his tenure at Florida, their AD would not even consider him. Likewise, I hope Boom is potentially committed to us for the long haul (not another stepping stone job) since we did give him a second chance - and he may realize the grass is not necessarily greener at a traditional "power" school.

LOL. Our Texas AD will find out about who the new Texas head coach is when he is told about it. Probably by the news media who find out before he does. This gets done at the Presidential level, too much money is involved. Our AD is not very powerful, sort of a caretaker AD. We hired a professional AD to shake things up, he did that and stepped on enough toes so he got fired. This Texas AD is just a toady to the actual powers-that-be, not a decider. I don't think Muschamp will be considered, as there is a been-there done-that factor. We need someone to lift the spirits and be the savior. If Muschamp had never been at Texas, maybe he would be a target, but our fans know too much about both his good traits and his flaws to think him a savior.

Reactions: wentzel25
LOL. Our Texas AD will find out about who the new Texas head coach is when he is told about it. Probably by the news media who find out before he does. This gets done at the Presidential level, too much money is involved. Our AD is not very powerful, sort of a caretaker AD. We hired a professional AD to shake things up, he did that and stepped on enough toes so he got fired. This Texas AD is just a toady to the actual powers-that-be, not a decider. I don't think Muschamp will be considered, as there is a been-there done-that factor. We need someone to lift the spirits and be the savior. If Muschamp had never been at Texas, maybe he would be a target, but our fans know too much about both his good traits and his flaws to think him a savior.
somebody needs to inform Texas that they're not Alabama. They may end up with a now slightly-tarnished Herman but still have a long, long, long way to go. Everyone knows they have more $$ than anyone else but that hasn't helped in the win column recently. They need to keep their grubby little fingers off WM.

Texas might have a problem if they have to many CHIEFS and not enough Indians so to speak . What coach wants boosters, etc. telling them what to do ? Herman maybe the man , but there are a lot of others that should be considered . Morris might be the best hire , but will only get chance after Herman . If you consider Muschamp not good enough for texas , then how is he the savior @ sc ?

They will not interview but if they wanted him, Muschamp would be stupid to consider them. He's making good coin here and has very little pressure on him (at least this year and next). He also has a fan base that is gaining confidence in him.

If he goes to Texas and loses the next several years (which is likely given their issues), he's out of a job and his career as a head-coach at major school is likely over. His best chance at longevity and success is at USC.

Last edited:
They will not interview but if they wanted him, Muschamp would be stupid to consider them. He's making good coin here and has very little pressure on him (at least this year and next). He also has a fan base that is gaining confidence in him.

If he goes to Texas and loses the next several years (which is likely given their issues), he's out of a job and his career as a head-coach at major school is likely over. His best chance at longevity and success is at USC.

I agree. I doubt they ask him, and if they did, I doubt he considers it for even a second.

somebody needs to inform Texas that they're not Alabama. They may end up with a now slightly-tarnished Herman but still have a long, long, long way to go. Everyone knows they have more $$ than anyone else but that hasn't helped in the win column recently. They need to keep their grubby little fingers off WM.

Herman's tarnish was buffed out and polished to a bright sheen with that win over Louisville using Houston players. As for grubby little fingers ... well, our fingers may very well be grubby, but they aren't little. Anyway, at this point, WM seems quite safe from any fingering by Texas.

He's making comparatively lousy coin here but Texas ain't gonna come after him.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
That anyone would even consider it a possibility Texas would be interested in Will Muschamp is a matter of complete mystification to me.

Yes but $3+m over 10 years is much better than $5 over 3 or 4 years.
He's actually under $3 million. The number is low, even by SEC standards. Tanner is making him prove himself before moving him up to what Spurrier would have made. I don't have any problem with that, but if he is successful, we will have to move him up - a lot, and quickly.

Don't see Herman being any more tarnished than Saban. Saban lost to ULM and a few other directional type schools in his career. In fact, his records at Michigan State was no better than Muschamp's at UF....but LSU took a shot on him.

Don't see Herman being any more tarnished than Saban. Saban lost to ULM and a few other directional type schools in his career. In fact, his records at Michigan State was no better than Muschamp's at UF....but LSU took a shot on him.
It's delusional for anyone to think that Herman isn't absolutely in control of the Texas situation.

He's actually under $3 million. The number is low, even by SEC standards. Tanner is making him prove himself before moving him up to what Spurrier would have made. I don't have any problem with that, but if he is successful, we will have to move him up - a lot, and quickly.
Agree. I meant he'll average over $3m per year if he's here 10 years.

Texas is the reason. They blew the league up by wanting their own TV deal - network, actually.

To be fair, Texas tried to get a Big 12 deal and the conference wouldn't do it. Texas tried to get OU to do a deal with Texas for a joint network, they wouldn't do it. They wanted their own. There was money being wasted, I don't see Texas having any other choice given the offers it was getting. There still isn't a Big 12 conference deal. OU still doesn't have a TV deal of its own. Texas is getting enough money to pay millions from the athletic dept to support the academic side of the university.

No. They want someone who will demand a much higher salary than BOOM can at this point. They have millions and millions of dollars to spend.

I read yesterday that between buying Strong out at L'ville, paying him for his time there, then paying him to leave, they''ll have more than $30M in him alone. They have a lot more money than sense.

Muschamp will not be a candidate. He has not "turned things around" here. He has accomplished our and his goal if getting this team bowl eligible - a big improvement from last year. But 6 wins against, arguably, the easiest schedule we've had since joining the SEC doesn't mean he turned our program around or is deserving of being interviewed for one of the 5 highest profile college football jobs in the country. If he gets us back to 10 win seasons and contending for East titles, then his stock will rise considerably. Of course, if he does that, we have the capability of making him one of the higher paid coaches in the SEC with one of the least-demanding fan bases - a combination that makes for a pretty good gig.

That fact someone thinks Texas may interview Muschamp after florida and while we appreciate him going 6-5 at his new job in season 1, it wont wow the Texas boosters, this idea makes me go.

Texas has a new AD different from the Muschamp days as well

giphy.gif

Last edited:
People tend to want the opposite of who they had at this point. The opposite of Strong (defense guy) would be Herman or Morris.

Reactions: tob T
To be fair, Texas tried to get a Big 12 deal and the conference wouldn't do it. Texas tried to get OU to do a deal with Texas for a joint network, they wouldn't do it. They wanted their own. There was money being wasted, I don't see Texas having any other choice given the offers it was getting. There still isn't a Big 12 conference deal. OU still doesn't have a TV deal of its own. Texas is getting enough money to pay millions from the athletic dept to support the academic side of the university.

Okay, lets be fair to the rest of the old Big 12 schools. What percent of the revenue was Texas wanting? It sure was not equal shares split among the 12 conference schools. Again Texas was one of the schools that killed the old Big 12, CU was other one.

That's not exactly the way the story came down in the national press. The way it came down, conference members were upset at Texas for the Longhorns wanting to control all of its 3rd tier money through formation of a network. It's part of what led some schools to depart the league. If that wasn't the real story, I didn't make up this version.

And that is why I think Herman would be foolish to accept the gig in Austin if offered. Actually, I think just about anybody would be foolish to accept the gig.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT