ADVERTISEMENT

Dukes Mayo Bowl it is

Though now owned by C. F. Sauer Company of Richmond, Virginia, Duke's mayonnaise is still produced in Greenville, the city of its birth. Eugenia Duke mixed her first batch of mayonnaise in her home on Manly Street sometime in the early years of the twentieth century (1917 is the date most often cited).

Can't have a genuine mater sammich without Duke's.
Anyone ever go to Duke's Sandwich Shop in Greenville?

First, who thought USC and BOWL GAME would be in the same sentence in 2021?

Secondly, I’ve been to Birmingham (PJB), and I’ve attended two USC games at BOA Stadium. Guess which was better!

Don’t like the match up, don’t attend. I’m leaning towards going just to support this group of players that stuck around and won six games. All fans can do is support. The choice is yours, whether this lower tier bowl is worth the effort and money to attend. Beats the crap out of Shreveport or Birmingham imho! It’s a 3 hour trip from MP, 1 1/2 from Columbia, fertile recruiting area for USC, and a reward for an overachieving football team. My .02 worth on this.

The best is the cheap Wal-Mart brand mayo. Duke's sucks.
WZJrKiP.gif

How many would travel to Nashville or Birmingham for a game?

My guess is that more Gamecock fans would travel to Charlotte and attend the game than they would to Birmingham. Now more fans would likely spend the night in Birmingham and "do stuff" in the area than they would Charlotte, but with all the bowl games out there, this is probably the best deal available for the Bowl Game and the participating schools.

My understanding is that each participating school must cover their ticket allotment, and will have to "eat" what they don't sell, i.e., Charlotte may be the best deal for USC in the current situation.

That is what I was thinking. The City of Charlotte is the big loser in this match up as I would guess many fans on both sides that will be attending are within driving distance to Charlotte.
The city may lose out, but the bowl will likely sell more tickets given the proximity of the participants.

Reactions: rogue cock
Some people here may disagree, but I will say it anyway: if we beat North Carolina, as I expect, Shane will lock down a pay raise and extension, and deservedly so. If he makes changes on his offensive staff, I would give him an even bigger pay raise. I do think he knows he has weak links on his offensive staff, as I read he yelled at Satterfield multiple times during the season. Time will tell.

Reactions: rogue cock
I had forgotten until I heard it mentioned recently that when we lost to UNC a few years ago it was Howell's first game. You know he's looking to bookend his UNC career by doing it again and I have a bad feeling he'll give our D fits. Hope he sits it out to be honest.

I had forgotten until I heard it mentioned recently that when we lost to UNC a few years ago it was Howell's first game. You know he's looking to bookend his UNC career by doing it again and I have a bad feeling he'll give our D fits. Hope he sits it out to be honest.
Yeah, Howell is good. But we have a hell of a good Defensive Coordinator and staff. I'm not concerned.

I think the best hope for defending him is crossing fingers that he sits out the game.

I was shocked at all the UNC kids who sat out last years bowl.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I'm gonna think about going but the last time we played there I was stoked and thought we had the team that was gonna roll on UNC. I got Club seats so we could enjoy the food and the bar and the rest rooms were right through the door behind us. Went first class and got a Hotel in uptown Charlotte for 2 nights so we could just walk back after the game.

The game totally ruined the whole experience, we just went back to the bar after the game and had a few drinks then ordered a pizza and called it a night. If I go it will be motel 6 and buy tickets for 20 bucks outside the stadium lol

• Haha
Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I'm gonna think about going but the last time we played there I was stoked and thought we had the team that was gonna roll on UNC. I got Club seats so we could enjoy the food and the bar and the rest rooms were right through the door behind us. Went first class and got a Hotel in uptown Charlotte for 2 nights so we could just walk back after the game.

The game totally ruined the whole experience, we just went back to the bar after the game and had a few drinks then ordered a pizza and called it a night. If I go it will be motel 6 and buy tickets for 20 bucks outside the stadium lol
That's the spirit!

By definition, both schools are directional.
I totally agree with you. But just one interesting point about the Birmingham Bowl. It has moved from the old Legion Field to the new 45,000 seat stadium built for UAB.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you. But just one interesting point about the Birmingham Bowl. It has moved from the old Legion Field to the new $45,000 seat stadium built for UAB.

And this bears repeating.

I totally agree with you. But just one interesting point about the Birmingham Bowl. It has moved from the old Legion Field to the new $45,000 seat stadium built for UAB.

I've heard. That might have made a Birmingham Bowl pick more palatable. After attending that frozen debacle in 2009, I didn't even want drive through that city. Lol.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
Dukes mayo is absolutely the best! But for some reason I prefer Miracle Whip on tomato sandwiches. Everything else gets Dukes in massive quantities. We even buy the giant size containers at Sam's. I hope the bowl game satisfies me as good as the mayo!

Reactions: cockofdawn
In 1920 Eugenia Duke set up shop in Greenville's Ottaray Hotel called Duke's Tea Room. I remember that hotel which I believe was torn down in the 1960's. She was still doing sandwiches then but later devoted all her energy to selling her mayo.

Dukes mayo is absolutely the best! But for some reason I prefer Miracle Whip on tomato sandwiches. Everything else gets Dukes in massive quantities. We even buy the giant size containers at Sam's. I hope the bowl game satisfies me as good as the mayo!
My wife prefers Dukes. I prefer to make my own from scratch, which is rather simple if you use an immersion blender.

In 1920 Eugenia Duke set up shop in Greenville's Ottaray Hotel called Duke's Tea Room. I remember that hotel which I believe was torn down in the 1960's. She was still doing sandwiches then but later devoted all her energy to selling her mayo.

Sandwiches from the Duke's sandwich shop in Greenville reminds me of Gamecock Football on Saturday's as a kid. My mom would always pick up a bag of sandwiches before the drive to Columbia to tailgate and watch Carolina play. That was the tailgate staple.....Duke's sandwiches and her homemade fried chicken. My friends always wanted to tailgate with us.

One more point. Since Auburn & Bama started meeting each other on campus, there was less of a need for a large capacity facility such as Legion Field.

One more point. Since Auburn & Bama started meeting each other on campus, there was less of a need for a large capacity facility such as Legion Field.
True. UAB did the right thing and worked with the city to build a new facility that fits their needs. The old Legion Field is way beyond its years and should be torn down.

I still believe that when the city of Birmingham decided against spending big bucks on major upgrades to Legion Field and lost the SEC Championship game to Atlanta, it was a big mistake. With a premier facility they could have probably kept the title game and developed a premier college bowl game that could have hosted a CFP game.

True. UAB did the right thing and worked with the city to build a new facility that fits their needs. The old Legion Field is way beyond its years and should be torn down.

I still believe that when the city of Birmingham decided against spending big bucks on major upgrades to Legion Field and lost the SEC Championship game to Atlanta, it was a big mistake. With a premier facility they could have probably kept the title game and developed a premier college bowl game that could have hosted a CFP game.
Yeah, Legion Field needs to go.

I contend that Bama/Auburn moving the Iron Bowl to Tuscaloosa/Auburn took a lot of the incentive out of rehabbing Legion Field.

Regarding CFP games, I still contend that it's best to hold them at the home field of the higher seed, and let the championship game be held at a neutral site. And if Birmingham has a facility/ability to submit a substantial hosting bid for the FBS National Championship Game, go for it.

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking. The City of Charlotte is the big loser in this match up as I would guess many fans on both sides that will be attending are within driving distance to Charlotte.
I agree with this. UNC had a disappointing year. Obviously there are tons of UNC fans and alums in the QC but how many are going to travel from out of town and stay the nigh or weekend for the game and NYE?

If I didn’t live here, I would definitely come in on the 29th. Stay Uptown - maybe the Westin since it’s on the light rail. Take the light rail and party in Southend. Go to the game in the 30th. Consider staying for NYE? There’s plenty of nice restaurants that throw parties or you could bar hop in Southend again and watch the college playoff games. There’s plenty to do here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT