ADVERTISEMENT

Dustin Johnson going for the “bag”

Uncle Money

Nov 26, 2006
Guess that Saudi money was too good to pass up. Now he gets to compete against the “has beens“ of golf. Good luck to him I suppose but in Feb he was all PGA and now…not so much.

I have been a DJ fan, but this is a bush league move!! IMO
So a professional athlete makes a financial decision to contract with another organization and you think it is "bush league"? I guess you must think all professional athletes are bush league then. How is this any different than a star NFL QB demanding more money or asking to be traded to make more money at the end of his contract? Or, a Major League pitcher, or an NBA star? I think it is very hypocritical to say he is bush league while accepting the NIL situation with athletes who are supposed to be amateurs who are going after the money.

Don’t blame him.
He’s in the twilight of his prime.
Herschel basically did the same thing long ago signing with an upstart USFL.

Don’t blame him.
He’s in the twilight of his prime.
Herschel basically did the same thing long ago signing with an upstart USFL.
So you are saying that Herschel was in the twilight of his prime when he signed with the USFL?

So you are saying that Herschel was in the twilight of his prime when he signed with the USFL?
That’s what you got out of that??
I’m saying no one was sure of what the USFL would become. Herschel took the best deal even though the league was brand new. Just like LIV.
And to clarify just DJ is in the twilight of his prime at the time of his decision.

I think Dustin sees all these young guns on the PGA tour and knows he's only good for a couple of more years, so he should make the switch while the Big money offers are there now. Can't really blame him.
This is very possible in making his decision. I'm wondering who else in that category makes the move this year. We could be surprised by some IMO.

Reactions: PC31
I’m fine with getting what you can in the market. Guess my problem was DJ stating his commitment in Feb to the PGA then 3 months later turning his back on the very organization that helped him get what he got. Should have said nothing. Jack Nicklaus was pretty forthright in stating how much he was offered and where his loyalty stood but again the money is astonishing…..even if it’s blood money!

Reactions: cockofdawn
So are there advantages like less requirements when it comes to your time? In other words, play the game you love, make a big check and the rest is free time? Maybe more privacy? DJ seems like the kind of guy that would be ok with being away from the spotlight as much as he could.
Just trying to figure out the appeal. Seems like the appeal has to be bigger than money given it's a drastic move.
Pardon my ignorance, I havent really given this much attention, but with DJ leaving it has my attention now

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Jr
Big guarantees on $ I here. Heard today, 54 hole tournaments no cuts? It's all about the $ it appears.
This is why I said before, more names coming IMO.

Reactions: bucketdad
So a professional athlete makes a financial decision to contract with another organization and you think it is "bush league"? I guess you must think all professional athletes are bush league then. How is this any different than a star NFL QB demanding more money or asking to be traded to make more money at the end of his contract? Or, a Major League pitcher, or an NBA star? I think it is very hypocritical to say he is bush league while accepting the NIL situation with athletes who are supposed to be amateurs who are going after the money.
I can pull for who ever I want!!!!

These players can do what they want. I prefer the PGA. Will we start to see watered down fields? Both tours may fail.
Yeah, kind of like these message boards, you divide them in half and in my opinion you have less than half what you had before! So goes progress!

You weren't pulling for anyone. You called DJ "bush league" with no valid basis for doing so.
Wrong. No reason to you, but DJ has all he has right now mainly DUE to the PGA tour. I liked hi , he is a Gamecocks fan and is from S.C., but in my opinion it is a “bush league” move. So I may have mis spoke. It is a “Bush League” move IN MY Opinion!! You can like the move if til want, don’t attack me for disagreeing!!!

I don’t understand why any sensible American would jump in with the Saudis.

Oh. Yes I do. It’s all about money. Every time.

I don’t get it when these athletes say after leaving one team for another, “I got to feed my family.” Horse manure. How much does it take to feed your family? You left a $15 mill job for an $18 mill job. Just be truthful. And yet they don’t have a problem paying a $10000 fine for bad behavior or spending thousands on lavish parties.

Wrong. No reason to you, but DJ has all he has right now mainly DUE to the PGA tour. I liked hi , he is a Gamecocks fan and is from S.C., but in my opinion it is a “bush league” move. So I may have mis spoke. It is a “Bush League” move IN MY Opinion!! You can like the move if til want, don’t attack me for disagreeing!!!
Sorry, I wasn't trying to attack you. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of you singling out DJ as "bush league" when he is doing the exact same thing most other professional athletes - and now even amateurs - do routinely. Did you think Tom Brady was bush league when he left NE for TB? What about all the other golfers that have left the PGA for this new tour?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to attack you. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of you singling out DJ as "bush league" when he is doing the exact same thing most other professional athletes - and now even amateurs - do routinely. Did you think Tom Brady was bush league when he left NE for TB? What about all the other golfers that have left the PGA for this new tour?
Yes and No on Tom Brady. He didn’t leave the NFL and I wasn’t a Brady fan!! DJ i WAS a fan!!

Your Brady example doesn't make sense.

Since when is moving and furthering your career a bush league move? His talent got him where he is not the pga. That’s absurd. I guess because my boss let me do my 2 year internship under him and taught me what I know, I’m indebted for life. I guess, by your terms, it would be a bush league move to open my own business?

I watched this video when I got home.I can't believe the excuses they was giving out.Dustin wants us to believe that he can't live off of $75 million.Louie sounds about as bad.

Why in the hell wouldn’t you jump? Dj is getting 120 million I think to join. They only have to play 3 day tournaments and there is less competition. Give me a negative because I have yet to see one. So what is the saudis go under, take that 120 and ride off into the sunset.

Reactions: PC31
Your Brady example doesn't make sense.
Sure it does. He left NE where he played for 19 years and acquired all his wealth to go to TB for more money. He was making $20.250 mil when he left NE to go to TB where they paid him guaranteed money of $25 mil. This is the same thing DJ is doing.

Why in the hell wouldn’t you jump? Dj is getting 120 million I think to join. They only have to play 3 day tournaments and there is less competition. Give me a negative because I have yet to see one. So what is the saudis go under, take that 120 and ride off into the sunset.
I have no dog in this fight, but I would say where has the thought of loyalty gone? If you worked for a company and made more money than you could spend in a lifetime. Set your family up so that they would be taken care of through their lifetimes. You had the opportunity to continue doing what you did to make all that money. You could pick and choose when and where you played. And show loyalty to the company that gave you the opportunity. Is it right to jump off for money? Lesser competition? Dont lie and say you love the different format or the new opportunity. Just be a man and say, "it's all about the money". I feel no loyalty to the PGA Tour and I am out for myself. I hope the PGA bans all of these guys for good and they are not allowed to play in any of the majors. Without the PGA Tour who would any of these guys be? Guys making 50k a year at the local club teaching golf to kids and middle aged ladies, and gambling with the members for a living. They'll come back, they always do, and I hope the PGA treats them with the same amount of respect and loyalty that they are treating the PGA with now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT