ADVERTISEMENT

Epidemic of QB transfers GC perspective

southflcock

Nov 6, 2001
I am really shocked about Justin Fields transferring. It reminds me of how quick we were over the past 2-3 years to not give dual threat QB’s a chance. And now with a bevy of QB’s and JB being a senior I’m afraid that Joyner is not going to get much playing time next year and will leave. To have options at QB in this day and time is great; ie Bama. But I want Joyner to get his chance and make this new class of QB’s wait to learn the college game just like Joyner had to. If by chance it doesn’t work out for him then at least he was given the chance to prove himself. He only played like 1 series this year.

I still wonder about when they get bad advice to transfer, it seems to be trending that way for Lorenzo Nunez.

He doesn't want to change positions here and goes to Southeastern Louisiana

Well he could of helped us alot at WR in 2016 and got a lot of playing time and exposure in the SEC had he got the correct advice and stayed and grind ed. That player could run very well, speed and good moves.

So what is he doing at Southeastern Louisiana? Doesn't seem to be a primary QB there either has 58 passing yards this year and more receiving and rushing yards

The former passer did a little of everything in nine games for the Lions. He ran for 147 yards and a touchdown, threw for 58 on seven passes and caught 15 yards for 120 yards and a pair of scores.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-football/article222791480.html#storylink=cpy

I am really shocked about Justin Fields transferring. It reminds me of how quick we were over the past 2-3 years to not give dual threat QB’s a chance. And now with a bevy of QB’s and JB being a senior I’m afraid that Joyner is not going to get much playing time next year and will leave. To have options at QB in this day and time is great; ie Bama. But I want Joyner to get his chance and make this new class of QB’s wait to learn the college game just like Joyner had to. If by chance it doesn’t work out for him then at least he was given the chance to prove himself. He only played like 1 series this year.

I want the best player to play. Period. And won’t blame any others for transferring for a shot to get on the field.

If I'm a talented HS player I'm looking at all this transfer mess and I'm telling myself that I'm committing to a place that I can go and play....not compete with another 5* at the same position.
Fields could have gone to probably 115 of the 129 D1 schools and been a day 1 starter....but he chose a school in that short list of 14 or 15 where that wasnt the case...I never understood that decision. Go to a place where you can play in a power 5 conference.
I think you'll see a trend change here where these top kids may start picking what some may consider "lesser" schools so they can make sure they are playing.
I'd much rather be playing than just competing in practice with another guy as good as me.

But to also piggyback on my comments above....this new generation that is rising up does need to learn something about competing and hanging in a tough situation.
I just feel that if I was in that position or my son was I'd be pushing him to a solid place where he'll still get the exposure but that he's going to be option #1 out of the gate.

But to also piggyback on my comments above....this new generation that is rising up does need to learn something about competing and hanging in a tough situation.
I just feel that if I was in that position or my son was I'd be pushing him to a solid place where he'll still get the exposure but that he's going to be option #1 out of the gate.

In some cases I get it. But only one QB is usually on the field at a time. Younger generation needs to focus more on wise decision making rather than listening who is the best at telling them what they want to hear. The big question for Fields is, what did you expect to happen???

But he’s a big prospect and could go somewhere and play. Has a chance to make money in the NFL. Needs reps. Can’t blame him for this decision...but his decision to go to UGA was a bad one as you alluded to above.

Reactions: GCDC1959
Listen...there's not too many 5 star players going to sit on the bench instead of playing. Most these kids have dreams of playing in the NFL and you're not going to do that sitting on the bench. I don't have a problem of these guys transferring...what I do have a problem with is making the wrong school decision based on what these head coached are telling these kids

QBs and RBs seem to be most common to transfer. I get it.

Personally, I don't care if a QB is a passing or running QB, he just needs to complete his passes. A QB completing less than 60% of his passes is not usually successful.

You know, I think Joyner is a likely transfer candidate. From what I have read, he seems to really want a shot at QB. And when you have been as good at one position as he was before college, its hard to get that mentality to shift to a more balanced perspective. I get it.

I think the Nunez example is a great one. He is such an electric athlete and would be a huge addition to our RB/slot receiver position. If he stays at QB, he'll likely languish on the bench. I'm no QB guru, but last year when I watched his HS highlight films, he just did not look like a polished enough passer to over-ride that intuition to put him at another spot in the offense. It would argue that it would be a huge recruiting 'get' this year to convince him to switch positions. Possibly a Deebo-like player without the hit to the 2019 numbers.

Reactions: 92Pony
Listen...there's not too many 5 star players going to sit on the bench instead of playing. Most these kids have dreams of playing in the NFL and you're not going to do that sitting on the bench. I don't have a problem of these guys transferring...what I do have a problem with is making the wrong school decision based on what these head coached are telling these kids

I agree with most of what you are saying, you know the coach is going to continue to pump the recruits head up that the best player plays. Come compete and see what happens. Fromm took them to the verge last year as a true freshman. Come on man, I wouldn’t care what Kirby told my kid, we would be elsewhere.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
You know, I think Joyner is a likely transfer candidate. From what I have read, he seems to really want a shot at QB. And when you have been as good at one position as he was before college, its hard to get that mentality to shift to a more balanced perspective. I get it.

I think the Nunez example is a great one. He is such an electric athlete and would be a huge addition to our RB/slot receiver position. If he stays at QB, he'll likely languish on the bench. I'm no QB guru, but last year when I watched his HS highlight films, he just did not look like a polished enough passer to over-ride that intuition to put him at another spot in the offense. It would argue that it would be a huge recruiting 'get' this year to convince him to switch positions. Possibly a Deebo-like player without the hit to the 2019 numbers.

Joyner has said he’s not going anywhere yet. But it’ll be interesting because he won’t get his first real shot until after this season. Joyner, Hilinski, and Doty will compete for the starting QB job. One of those 3 will not stay.

Joyner will be the backup next year, at least to start. If Bentley goes pro (it could happen, I guess), Joyner will be the starter going into the spring. If Hillinski's as good as advertised, though, Joyner will need to decide if he wants to go the Gilmore route. He's an athlete and we need him on the field.

Joyner has said he’s not going anywhere yet. But it’ll be interesting because he won’t get his first real shot until after this season. Joyner, Hilinski, and Doty will compete for the starting QB job. One of those 3 will not stay.
With as much hype as Doty has gotten recently, I'd be a little surprised if he stayed with us.

You know some kids actually are worried about which degree and value of the academic path they choose. Put that aside, some kids are smart enough to look at the coaches and their history of placing players in NFL whether they RS or not. If you get better coaching from school A then that out weighs just guaranteed playing time at school B. So sitting on Saturday doesn't mean they are not being given great instruction Sun-Fri. So this immediate gratification doesn't necessarily mean you are better off going to a different University just because you can get on the field but the coaching caliber and history is substantially less.

In other words, seeing the field as a freshman vs a sophomore doesn't always relate to improved NFL opportunity. So I don't agree with your assessment of playing time vs great coaching and academics. But the new generation is much more "me first" than ever!

If I'm a talented HS player I'm looking at all this transfer mess and I'm telling myself that I'm committing to a place that I can go and play....not compete with another 5* at the same position.
Fields could have gone to probably 115 of the 129 D1 schools and been a day 1 starter....but he chose a school in that short list of 14 or 15 where that wasnt the case...I never understood that decision. Go to a place where you can play in a power 5 conference.
I think you'll see a trend change here where these top kids may start picking what some may consider "lesser" schools so they can make sure they are playing.
I'd much rather be playing than just competing in practice with another guy as good as me.
Every player thinks they are the best player. Coaches tell them that. Fields probably saw how great Fromm was but probably thought of himself as the next coming of Cam and would definitely start day one.

Reactions: Jug Tavern Dawg
Fromm has already caused Jacob Eason to transfer. I think Eason was the number one QB prospect in the country.

I could not agree more! I have been very disappointed in the lack of playing time for Joyner. He is an amazing talent! Put in some wildcat packages for him or use him as a decoy on certain plays. He needs to be on the field somewhere.

I could not agree more! I have been very disappointed in the lack of playing time for Joyner. He is an amazing talent! Put in some wildcat packages for him or use him as a decoy on certain plays. He needs to be on the field somewhere.
For the last time, by definition it’s not a wildcat package if a QB is behind center.

Reactions: Cockadoodle4
Don’t you think if the coaches thought he could help the team he would have played? You could really tell in Spring that he was wayyyy behind the others.

Reactions: ansoncock
In some cases I get it. But only one QB is usually on the field at a time. Younger generation needs to focus more on wise decision making rather than listening who is the best at telling them what they want to hear. The big question for Fields is, what did you expect to happen???

But he’s a big prospect and could go somewhere and play. Has a chance to make money in the NFL. Needs reps. Can’t blame him for this decision...but his decision to go to UGA was a bad one as you alluded to above.

But the bad thing for many of these kids like Fields is; in their minds they CAN go to the top football schools and compete with the 5*s and win a chance to play. But, in reality that is not always the case. I hope you are right about the top players making better decisions and looking at other programs where they will have a much better chance of playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art__Vandelay

Things that distressed me about our coaching this year that may not bode well:

1) The inability to realize in the Florida game how terrible our defense was playing and the decision to play conservatively and run the ball with a couple of touchdowns lead, instead of having Bentley pass for first downs, or more points

2) The decision to play Bentley even when he was struggling

3) The complete inability to stop the Clemson offense

4) The inability to utilize Joyner at some time during the year

To me, #4 is the most puzzling.

Could it had been a matter of economics? $$$$$$

I agree with most of what you are saying, you know the coach is going to continue to pump the recruits head up that the best player plays. Come compete and see what happens. Fromm took them to the verge last year as a true freshman. Come on man, I wouldn’t care what Kirby told my kid, we would be elsewhere.

But, I'm not sure that the kids like Fields are getting the sound advice from their father/ parents as you would give your son. But, I would at least talk to my son and plead with him to at least look at other options and possibilities where I would almost have a "sure thing" of playing.

Example, Dak Prescott going to Miss State. I don't know what type of HS player he was or how highly he was ranked but he could have went to some other program and maybe not seen the field.

Last edited:
Things that distressed me about our coaching this year that may not bode well:

1) The inability to realize in the Florida game how terrible our defense was playing and the decision to play conservatively and run the ball with a couple of touchdowns lead, instead of having Bentley pass for first downs, or more points

2) The decision to play Bentley even when he was struggling

3) The complete inability to stop the Clemson offense

4) The inability to utilize Joyner at some time during the year

To me, #4 is the most puzzling.
To me, #1 is the most puzzling and that game still makes me sick to this day. A win could have change the whole outlook of the season.

Where did Eason transfer last year? I have forgotten and am too lazy to google.
Was it Washington State ? Jawga will end up shooting itself in the football recruiting foot by going after super high profile QB and BS'ing them into red jerseys with no place to put them. Five star QB's expect to play and you can have too many cooks in the kitchen. They will leave in a heart beat and never miss a breath because they don't need you but some other school needs them.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Joyner will be the backup next year, at least to start. If Bentley goes pro (it could happen, I guess), Joyner will be the starter going into the spring. If Hillinski's as good as advertised, though, Joyner will need to decide if he wants to go the Gilmore route. He's an athlete and we need him on the field.
One thing is he was guaranteed/promised he would play qb, that’s the only reason he chose Carolina over Clemson. He has repeated this many times. Now he gets there and immediately they want him to switch positions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT