ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bonobos "masculine" commercial....

So this commercial tells us what it means to be a man because some men have the meaning all wrong. So they aim to straighten us all out by revising the meaning to suit what they think is should mean and all is well. Once more the media and libs think they have all the answers and try to shame men into following their Pied Piper thinking. It's us men who build ESPN.

There's a reason that video has more than twice as many dislikes as likes. Being masculine isn't necessarily showing off your biceps or hitting on chicks. There is masculinity in being confident, being a leader and making smart decisions. This "campaign" is a joke.
Does all this mean now that lesbians can't act macho and walk like men because it's too manly? I'm totally confused help me.

Toxic masculinity is a thing. Ever wonder why so many men get in trouble for domestic abuse?

Sorry im calling BS on this. As someone who came from a home where domestic violence happened quite a bit I can tell you that it comes from BOTH sides a lot of the time. Most times the men never report it for fear of people 1) not believing them or 2) making them into a joke because they got "beat up by a woman". That makes the numbers look much worse than they are a lot of times.

My dad was an a$$ when I was little(hes a great guy now who learned from his mistakes) and he started with my mom a ton but my mom had her moments where she was just as much if not more violent.
Dad broke moms jaw
Mom stabbed dad twice(once with knife, once with fork)
Dad tried to hit mom with car
Mom shot at dad(not sure if she was just a bad shot or what)
Mom hit dad with a cast iron skillet.
There were other instances but those few stick out in my mind. Notice the pattern?? No true aggressor but a ton of back and forth but by your logic my dads masculinity was the sole issue. Now im not saying this is always the case because its not but you cant just lump it all into one big "masculinity is the problem" basket. Unless you grew up in that type of environment then you have no idea what it really looks like.

Reactions: cocky4 and FJRTiger
Sorry im calling BS on this. As someone who came from a home where domestic violence happened quite a bit I can tell you that it comes from BOTH sides a lot of the time. Most times the men never report it for fear of people 1) not believing them or 2) making them into a joke because they got "beat up by a woman". That makes the numbers look much worse than they are a lot of times.

My dad was an a$$ when I was little(hes a great guy now who learned from his mistakes) and he started with my mom a ton but my mom had her moments where she was just as much if not more violent.
Dad broke moms jaw
There were other instances but those few stick out in my mind. Notice the pattern?? No true aggressor but a ton of back and forth but by your logic my dads masculinity was the sole issue. Now im not saying this is always the case because its not but you cant just lump it all into one big "masculinity is the problem" basket. Unless you grew up in that type of environment then you have no idea what it really looks like.
:For illustrative purposes only: What you need to assimilate and internalize and never question is that, in this society, everything that happened every step of the way was entirely his responsibility and his fault. Once you make peace with that, closure might be yours.

Reactions: cocky4

Dad broke moms jaw
Your Mom stabbed him? Shot at him? Hit him with a skillet? Your Mom must have been my ex wife’s twin sister. Small world. (I couldn’t resist the comedy but mainly I hate that you had to endure this from your parents).

Just my opinion but as a man that few people would describe as “masculine” I would be embarrassed to be represented in this commercial. Imagine being so insecure in who you are as a man that you have to campaign to redefine the term “masculine” because you are confusing it with the most noble concepts of being a man and that hurts your feelings. That is, in my opinion, extremely unmanly.

PS
African American Women
Are. Better at sex than
White women
All replies to the contrary are a waste of time

I think the commercial is great. It is sending the message that you don't have to be athletic to be masculine. It is very difficult for boys and young men who are not interested in sports to be respected in our society. I saw it over and over again in my years of teaching.

Your Mom stabbed him? Shot at him? Hit him with a skillet? Your Mom must have been my ex wife’s twin sister. Small world. (I couldn’t resist the comedy but mainly I hate that you had to endure this from your parents).

NO worries. It may not work out for every kid but it worked out fine for me. I told myself I would NEVER live like that so it steered me away from some relationships in my life because I didnt like what I saw when we were together but all in all I turned out fine. My wife and I fuss(like any married couple) but I try not to do it in front of the kids if I can help it. When I was old enough to voice what I thought and have conversations with my parents they took a step back to correct some things. Im not sure they even realized what it looked like from the outside until they were older because that was just normal for them. They were awesome people apart and ended up being awesome together after some work. My brother who is 13 years younger benefited from the changes and didnt see the things I did growing up.

Funny story. My son has Aspergers and when we went to have him diagnosed you have to give your backgrounds and family history. Well after my wife and I gave ours the psychologist said to me " I cant believe how normal you are considering the life you had as a kid." Best compliment I think I have ever been given by anyone. :p

I don't like being told how to think, but I also don't think reexamining things is a bad thing, either. But hey, maybe the 50's was the heyday in this country, and society is just decaying. We should probably blame it on people between the ages of 22 and 37.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I think the commercial is great. It is sending the message that you don't have to be athletic to be masculine. It is very difficult for boys and young men who are not interested in sports to be respected in our society. I saw it over and over again in my years of teaching.
There are a lot of Raiders fans here in California that I think people would describe as masculine. But I would rather be a good dad than a tough looking dude. There, I said it.

Reactions: Out of Conference
One more thing - I will say the sentiment is great; however, no one should feel insensitive or guilty for preferring athletes and action stars to be physically fit and exhibit the classic qualities of being a man. I think that's really normal, but it is good to also value other qualities that make a real man.

That's really a shoe commercial, right? Looks like they're trying to sell some soft, airy, featherweight footwear sans laces.

Disagree Kitchen, while your personal observations are indeed, spot on, and a genuine concern, the commercial is, however, absolutely horrible in regards to its stated goal. Masculinity does not define one as a man, it describes a certain type of man. Pee Wee Herman is an example of someone that's not typically considered masculine, but that doesn't preclude him from being a "man". A masculine male is the polar opposite of an effeminate male, yet either one, and all in between, are capable of being a "man". The commercial is trying to make all males masculine by just simply being male. It doesn't work that way.

You refer to sports as an example. Sports by its very nature is athletic and competitive. Being physically fit and having a competitive spirit are common traits associated with a masculine male, as is being self assure, being persuasive, being cunning, having prowess, etc. All helpful in gaining a sports advatange. Not all males have these traits in abundance, whether inherited or instilled by their father's training. But it's beyond sports, it's everyday confidence, seizing the day, sexual allure, bravado, etc.

Despite the wishes of most of the guys in the commercial, they will never be masculine like a pro athlete, or a Navy Seal, or a Hollywood depicted "007" secret agent. Neither will the average joe in public, either. Their very act of pleading to change the parameters to be inclusive is a very unmasculine act, in of itself, to be frank.

Masculinity is subjective. That's what the commercial was basically saying. You also have a remote. Use it.

Btw I do love the quick reach to connect this to espn (who gives a boat load of $ to the school) and liberals. When in reality it was... wait for it... wal mart!! that is responsible.

When I think of the term masculine i think of a guy like Stallone, Burt Reynolds, or Tom Selleck in the 80s. Today I would probably lool at Dewayne Johnson as an example I think most out there probably have a similar type of image in their head.

If you arent that kind of guy. If you are short, fat, and a bit nerdy thats ok. Doesnt make you less of a person, but you arent mascculine and thats ok. A lot of women like nerdy guys.

Do we need to redefine "nerdy" too? I think of nerdy as someone off the Revenge of the Nerds, Screech Powers, or Erkel . Do we need to say Brock Lesner is nerdy too to make others feel ok about themsleves?

Nerds pretty much run the world. Where would we be without them. I mean ... who would create all our computer stuff, and fix it when they break? Nerds need the rest of us too. Without us, who’s gonna but all the stuff they think up to build.

Some of y'alls comments are far too manly and I for one am offended. I need a safe place to recover.
il_340x270.1544128598_plum.jpg

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
One more thing - I will say the sentiment is great; however, no one should feel insensitive or guilty for preferring athletes and action stars to be physically fit and exhibit the classic qualities of being a man. I think that's really normal, but it is good to also value other qualities that make a real man.
But one should have the freedom in a pluralistic society to devalue those other qualities as well, right?:D

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT