ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN is saying Napier and Freeze are the two leading candidates

I understand your sentiment. But, we all make mistakes. I don't believe there's any doubt, though, that he can COACH on game day.
39-25 while cheating is not a lot to write home about. Yeah, he won some games he shouldn't have, but he really didn't get a huge return on his investment.

I’ve watched interviews of both Freeze and Napier. I agree with the above poster that Freeze seems to have that Spurrier swagger. He’s loose. Confident. Talks down to earth. Quick witted.

On the other hand Napier seems kinda country boy rigid. Although everyone says he’s really laid back. Obviously a great teacher in Saban. Would love to beat Dabo who fired him I’m sure. Young. Only two years coaching experience. But obviously hungry to prove himself.

I’m kinda torn. Like them both and feel I would be happy with either. Forced to choose my gut says Freeze.

For everyone saying Freeze, will the SEC allow us to hire him, given his track record with the NCAA?

I don't know but Finebaum a few weeks ago said he should be forgiven and everyone deserves a 2nd chance. But I wonder if the SEC has any say in the matter?

If we hire Freeze, did you know he was in a scene in the movie "The Blind Side"? The scene was with Houston Nutt, in Nutt's office.

As long as we are members of the SEC, they absolutely have a say in the matter.

Well, that will be interesting to see and you very well could be right. You usually are about these matters - you are far more right that you are ever wrong.

Freeze was in the SEC west. His wins started later. We are crazy if we are not considering him. I can't think of anyone that is ahead of him. I remember his offense at Ole Pis. I watches games this year and exciting. If he can beat Syracuse and VA Tech at Liberty, think of what he can do in the SEC East.

Reactions: jeff2001
It would be inaccurate to call Hugh Freeze a "home run" hire. He would be more of a "Grand Slam" home run hire.

I understand your sentiment. But, we all make mistakes. I don't believe there's any doubt, though, that he can COACH on game day.
I apologize for speaking for someone else, but I think the main point the poster was making was that Freeze cheated and still only managed an okay record. If you cheat blatantly, I would hope the W-L record would be heavily weighted in the W column.

I apologize for speaking for someone else, but I think the main point the poster was making was that Freeze cheated and still only managed an okay record. If you cheat blatantly, I would hope the W-L record would be heavily weighted in the W column.
It took him awhile to ramp up. Then he beat Saban twice.

Reactions: NetworkX
Still would like for us to give Tony Elliott a look. Like it of not CU has had the best program in country over last 5 years
He deserves a look

Isn't Fickle a defense-oriented coach? He is doing great at UC. But, offense is the name of the game these days. Besides, I suspect he is headed for the Big 10.
He and Campbell are probably the two top choices for the Michigan job (when it opens). Go after the one they don't get.

I've heard the opposite. I don't think we'll really know unless it is attempted.
Isn’t there some sort of probationary period? Seems like I read that somewhere that he couldn’t coach in the league for minimum 2 years, but I could be dreaming that.

I feel like we’re being baited into the Freeze hire.
Agree- It is funny to me that any other coach who left an SEC program in shambles, resigned in disgrace (FIRED IOW), and had such a mediocre record overall as Freeze would normally be compared to Muschamp immediately around here but one good season by Freeze at Liberty and all of a sudden he is Nick Saban? I am not sold and shocked our admin would be interested...

Hey, who knows what will happen. Maybe it would be nice to get the hot up an coming coach from a lower division for a change! Haven’t gone that route since... Sparky Woods I guess!

Don't think we could go wrong with either 2.

Freeze: Offensive guru. Been a big winner everywhere he has been.. He has proven he can take lesser talent and beat teas more talented than his. He owned his rival (Miss. State) while at Ole Miss.His offense at Liberty is 18th in the nation and balanced, 12th in rushing and 16th in passing efficiency. His defense is good, as well. It is 14th in the nation, including 38th in rushing defense and 33rd in Team Passing Defense Efficiency. His team is BALANCED all the way around. He is just a tad older than I'd prefer at 51. But, hell, our best basketball coach ever (Frank McGuire was hied at 50

Napier: He has taken mid-major talent and beaten a Power 5 school (Iowa State, 23rd in the nation). He is offensive-minded and is considered a relentless recruiter. His offense is 41st in Total Offense and 41st in Total Defense. Thus, his team is good on both sides of the ball. He is young at 41.

I don't believe we could go wrong with either. And I also like Caldwell at Coastal Carolina
He was also beaten by a guy right down the road in Conway. He has a longer track record than Chadwell, but lost in the head to head.

Also got to give Hafly and Allen a look. Experience as head coaches at P5 schools.

He was also beaten by a guy right down the road in Conway. He has a longer track record than Chadwell, but lost in the head to head.

Also got to give Hafly and Allen a look. Experience as head coaches at P5 schools.
Is Hafley the coach from Charlotte? He’s going to be a good one in the future.

Remember the movie “The Quick and The Dead“, but this time the kid (Billy Napier) will win!!!!

I have a good feeling about Napier. He has worked for guys who know how to win, and seems to be a smart guy with a good record at La... Has coached in SC and in the SEC, should have recruiting ties needed to be successful here, no major of field issues or ugly firings I know of in his HC resume. A friend of mine played football with him in college and has great things to say about him.. Not sure he could build a program to compete for the SEC here but he seems as likely as anyone.

No, I understood his point. I certainly could be wrong. But I doubt that even cheating in recruiting, that he had better talent than Alabama, who he beat twice, and almost 3 times. And I feel certain that Liberty does not have Virginia Tech's nor Syracuse' talent. And he beat both this season ON THE ROAD. Regardless of Freeze's past failings, "game day coaching" does not seem to me to be a weakness of his. That's just my opinion, which, again, could be wrong.

Reactions: NetworkX
I still think we should go after Josh Heupel. 27-6 in his 3rd year at UCF. OC at Oklahoma, Utah State, and Mizzou. Name recognition as Heisman runner-up at Oklahoma and won national championship that year as QB for Bob Stoops in 2000. High octane offense and a winner.

Mizzou fan here - exciting to see another SEC coaching search. BTW - you don't want Heupel. Dude's offense is a complete gimmick. He's only winning at UCF due to better talent Frost brought in. He makes your defense really tired, has shitty clock management and only throws the deep ball.

So I hope you guys hire him! :p

But in all seriousness. If you guys get Freeze, I'm going to be jealous AF... Napier, sure, he's done a great job as well. Looking forward to our game this weekend, assuming, you know, we can actually play.

Yes I know. Truth be known, I would choose Chadwell over Napier. But, I think that the powers that be might have it 1. Napier and 2 Chadwell. But, as I said before, I don't believe we could go wrong with either

Reactions: OldWiseCock
So funny how some people don't want to hire a failure but want to bring in a guy that got fired from Ole Miss after three years. Some real bright bulbs here at FGF lol...

Reactions: uscedge21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT