ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN is saying Napier and Freeze are the two leading candidates

He wasn't fired because he was a bad coach.
Nope, but he'd have to be squeaky clean....much cleaner than our opponents, not even a hint of wrongdoing. You will have every SEC program and every ACC program looking over our shoulder...just trying to find anything. Quote from a recent article regarding Freeze's possibility of returning to the SEC: "SEC commissioner Greg Sankey made clear to the league’s schools it wouldn’t look good for an SEC school to hire Freeze with Ole Miss still dealing with NCAA penalties incurred under his watch. Sankey’s directive was that Freeze needed to go away for a while and seek career opportunities outside the SEC."

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Nope, but he'd have to be squeaky clean....much cleaner than our opponents, not even a hint of wrongdoing. You will have every SEC program and every ACC program looking over our shoulder...just trying to find anything. Quote from a recent article regarding Freeze's possibility of returning to the SEC: "SEC commissioner Greg Sankey made clear to the league’s schools it wouldn’t look good for an SEC school to hire Freeze with Ole Miss still dealing with NCAA penalties incurred under his watch. Sankey’s directive was that Freeze needed to go away for a while and seek career opportunities outside the SEC."
I would imagine that is being checked out - or already has been checked out by SC. It would only take one phone call.

You’re right, they vacated almost 40 games. He officially has a losing record.
This post got me wondering something. Do ALL of the games played with the "illegal" players get vacated? It seems weird if ONLY the wins get vacated. It's like the NCAA would be saying, "It's okay to cheat as long as you still lose."

Kind of clears that up!

Not unless he is officially a candidate. The only thing I've heard or read that he may be is fan speculation.
Apparently Saban approached Sankey about bringing Freeze in back in 2018 as an assistant and was told no. We should be able to inquire as to whether we could hire him before we go too far down that road and waste a bunch of time.

Apparently Saban approached Sankey about bringing Freeze in back in 2018 as an assistant and was told no. We should be able to inquire as to whether we could hire him before we go too far down that road and waste a bunch of time.

We cannot afford to waste time.

The article was from 2/3 months ago....since the interest in Freeze has been heating up. Sankey seems to be steadfast in his opinion on Freeze and I doubt that SC would challenge that....not many schools would.

This post got me wondering something. Do ALL of the games played with the "illegal" players get vacated? It seems weird if ONLY the wins get vacated. It's like the NCAA would be saying, "It's okay to cheat as long as you still lose."

They didnt just vacate the wins. His record is officially 12-15

Napier please. I don't feel like paying for Freez's hookers. At least a per diem so he doesn't use the university credit card.

Napier = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. IMO he is much like Muschamp. Please no. Napier is another "regular" coach. His offenses work in the SunBelt, but not in the ACC, let alone in the SEC. Another disaster in the making. NOOOOOOOOO.

Freeze = YES, but with strict conditions in the contract. He is innovative and will play an exciting brand of offense. He needs a top notch DC if he is to succeed.

Reactions: cadcock
Nope. There was some speculation that Tennessee would be the first.
Right. Georgia jumped ahead of us five years ago. Tennessee can beat us out for any coach that we both want. The kind of guy who would go to Michigan would probably not be a Southerner. Such a man would probably only take a job on the order of Alabama, LSU, or maybe Florida.

Still would like for us to give Tony Elliott a look. Like it of not CU has had the best program in country over last 5 years
He deserves a look
Elliott has to get a look, particularly since there are few successful black head coaches in NCAA football. Hiring him has a ton of upside. It hurts Clemson. It is an affirmative hire. He knows this area well from a recruiting standpoint. He is an offensive coach.

All that being said, whether a Clemson grad can be a USC head coach is a fair question.

Right. Georgia jumped ahead of us five years ago. Tennessee can beat us out for any coach that we both want. The kind of guy who would go to Michigan would probably not be a Southerner. Such a man would probably only take a job on the order of Alabama, LSU, or maybe Florida.
Agree. The only question about Tennessee is will a coach like Fickell or Campbell be willing to put up with Fulmer's meddling in the program. Both would have to be candidates for the Michigan job when it opens along with Allen at Indiana.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Napier = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. IMO he is much like Muschamp. Please no. Napier is another "regular" coach. His offenses work in the SunBelt, but not in the ACC, let alone in the SEC. Another disaster in the making. NOOOOOOOOO.

Interesting take considering in his first year as OC at Clemson they set school records for most point and yards in a season and went to the ACCCG... He also did some good things out in Arizona. They were perfect in the red-zone scoring 40 touchdowns and 11 field goals in 53 red-zone trips. The 2 non-scoring drives were kneel downs late in the 4th quarter to run out the clock.
And he's a damned fine recruiter. Brought Tahj Boyd to Clemson and signed three straight top-25 classes as their recruiting coordinator. He helped coach up Amari Cooper and he won the Biletnikoff, and recruited Calvin Ridley, Cam Robinson, Jerry Jeudy, DaVonta Smith, and Henry Ruggs to Alabama, among others. All first round talents. And he's signed the top class in the Sun Belt each of the past two years. Don't really know what else you could want from a guy to be honest...

Last Monday, Phil Kornblut stated on the air that when all the rumors hit after the loss to Texas A&M, he tried to find through his contacts that the rumors could be "refuted." He said after speaking with his sources, he could not refute the rumors. That he believed change was coming. He went on to say he didn't think it was going to happen "this week" but would most likely happen after the Mississippi game whether we won or lost. He also stated at the time that you could forget about Hugh Freeze. ""That is not going to happen." Whether you like Phil or not, he is well connected, and everything he stated last Monday has come to pass. So am guessing he knows something about Freeze not coming here as well.

Last Monday, Phil Kornblut stated on the air that when all the rumors hit after the loss to Texas A&M, he tried to find through his contacts that the rumors could be "refuted." He said after speaking with his sources, he could not refute the rumors. That he believed change was coming. He went on to say he didn't think it was going to happen "this week" but would most likely happen after the Mississippi game whether we won or lost. He also stated at the time that you could forget about Hugh Freeze. ""That is not going to happen." Whether you like Phil or not, he is well connected, and everything he stated last Monday has come to pass. So am guessing he knows something about Freeze not coming here as well.
Napier is the best choice and fit. 2nd would be Caldwell

Napier is the best choice and fit. 2nd would be Caldwell
Agreed on Napier. I think he's a homerun hire.

Chadwell imo is still too green. I don't want USC to be the first job he doesn't succeed at because he's in over his head or whatever and has his first "humbling experience" as they say. Ultimately I think he'll make a fine P5 coach but he stepped into a great situation at Coastal, a program that Moglia had already built up. Plus he had some NCAA issues at CSU and had multiple wins vacated as well as scholarship reductions.

Reactions: The Gadfly
As long as we are members of the SEC, they absolutely have a say in the matter.
I would think we’d have to talk with Sankey before we started down that particular road. Then again, it’s possible we already have (quietly and off the record, of course).

I’ve heard about 7-8 coaches names mentioned that I’d be ok with. I can’t say that I have a diehard favorite, I just hope we don’t screw it up this time.
We need as much winning experience on the highest level as a HC as possible. If not HC then OC. I'm not sure there's a DC out there good enough. I'm not against some of those names, they damn sure weren't losing at Florida, but I hope we start at the top. Starting at Shane Beamer is a SCARY thought.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
We need as much winning experience on the highest level as a HC as possible. If not HC then OC. I'm not sure there's a DC out there good enough. I'm not against some of those names, they damn sure weren't losing at Florida, but I hope we start at the top. Starting at Shane Beamer is a SCARY thought.
What makes Beamer so scary? He's coached under some of the best the game had, and has, to offer. Fulmer, Spurrier, his father Frank, Smart, and now Riley. He's basically been groomed his whole life to be a head coach. He knows the Southeast extremely well, and he's obviously familiar with USC.
Dabo was not a coordinator or head coach prior to his hiring. Sam Pittman is doing well at Arkansas right now and was never a coordinator or head coach either. I think you're underselling the title of assistant head coach honestly. I'm a firm believer that Shane will make a great head coach in the very near future.

Freeze is a hell no. Napier would be ok. My top choice is Tom Allen, though.
Allen would be a great hire, but given his contract at Indiana, (and rather massive buyout there), I find it hard to see him as a reasonable possibility. Same with Luke Fickell, or Matt Campbell; both would be more likely for the Michigan job if it opens up

What makes Beamer so scary? He's coached under some of the best the game had, and has, to offer. Fulmer, Spurrier, his father Frank, Smart, and now Riley. He's basically been groomed his whole life to be a head coach. He knows the Southeast extremely well, and he's obviously familiar with USC.
Dabo was not a coordinator or head coach prior to his hiring. Sam Pittman is doing well at Arkansas right now and was never a coordinator or head coach either. I think you're underselling the title of assistant head coach honestly. I'm a firm believer that Shane will make a great head coach in the very near future.
Exactly what I posted is what makes him scary. No experience, even as a coordinator. And most of all, some have him first on the list with that lack of experience. Terrifying.

Clemson cheats. We are not Clemson. I wish we would, but it's not my money so I can't say too much.

It's not that I think Shane would be Muschamp hire terrible. He hasn't completely failed as a HC at a perennial SEC powerhouse like Florida. Maybe he's ready to be a great HC. But his resume is not as good as many others.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Exactly what I posted is what makes him scary. No experience, even as a coordinator. And most of all, some have him first on the list with that lack of experience. Terrifying.

Clemson cheats. We are not Clemson. I wish we would, but it's not my money so I can't say too much.

It's not that I think Shane would be Muschamp hire terrible. He hasn't completely failed as a HC at a perennial SEC powerhouse like Florida. Maybe he's ready to be a great HC. But his resume is not as good as many others.
Dang I guess I've been living a nightmare this last decade where Dabo was somehow a successful coach despite never being a coordinator.

You say he has 'no experience' but actually he has 16 seasons of experience, not counting GA roles, and with 8 years of that in the assistant head coaching role. So scarrrrry right??

Someone like Freeze could come in and set us back a decade.

Dang I guess I've been living a nightmare this last decade where Dabo was somehow a successful coach despite never being a coordinator.

You say he has 'no experience' but actually he has 16 seasons of experience, not counting GA roles, and with 8 years of that in the assistant head coaching role. So scarrrrry right??

Someone like Freeze could come in and set us back a decade.
Yep. Freeze is really setting Liberty back right now, huh?

Go ahead and throw in the GA years as well. ZERO as an OC or DC or HC.

And Dabo isn't "somehow" successful. They cheat. We don't. Should I repeat it for you again?

There's a dozen coaches, at least, I'd approach before Beamer. But he is a better hire than Muschamp.

You haven't really thought that through have you? With your logic, you would have every team that goes 1-11 turning themselves in so losses are vacated. "Hey NCAA, in violation of NCAA rules I bought our backup OG a snow cone at 33 Flavors. Please vacate all of our loses." Why would you reward a cheater by taking away losses?

Reactions: rogue cock
At this juncture, it really doesn't matter WHO they are talking about as "leading" candidates right now. All the media are doing, is watching who the fanbase like US are talking about the most, but who WE most want and who actually most wants to take the job, are two entirely different things.

Freeze just got a salary extension a couple days ago - most likely in response to all the noise he's been getting lately. Coaches will jockey for the best jobs they can get, and more than anything they will USE the talk of the USC job to get what they want, more than they will actually put the USC job as a top target for them.

If Tanner is still on the job as AD, expect another case of getting the 3rd/4th/5th option on the most wanted list, and that may not be anyone we're talking about now.....

I’m supposed to believe that a hard-core military man is going to allow the hiring of Freeze, who has baggage on top of baggage on top of baggage? I’ll believe that when I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT