ADVERTISEMENT

ESPY ratings plummet 88% from last year

NFL ratings took a dive and then rebounded as they distanced themselves somewhat from the kneeling. It'll be interesting to see what effect, if any, their full-on embrace/endorsement of it has on their ratings. People may be so starved for sports it won't matter.

People have also learned that they can live without sports. I know I have. I fully expect the kneeling to occur at sporting events en masse this fall. And it'll be no problem for me to continue enjoying the great outdoors and tending to projects around the house.

Well, it goes to show people are getting their political bs from better sources than ESPN. When they start showing and reviewing sports again, people may start to watch again.

Cable news shows are better than ESPN With political news? In what Universe? They are exactly the same.

You just proved my point, thanks. People tune into news programs for politics. Not sports networks.

People will watch 2 pigs wallowing if they think their choice is winning.

Cable talkers do well because so many people like watching them. It’s hypocritical to suggest ESPN shouldn’t talk politics.

Still 12% higher ratings than I ever gave them - when they weren't making them about social politics, they were making them all about ESPN. I always passed.....

But ESPN still remains a major profit center for Disney. Disney does not break out ESPN’s financials, but research firm S&P Global Market Intelligence says its revenue for 2018 totaled $10.2 billion, up 6% from the previous year, and it had cash flow of $3.23 billion, up nearly 8%. Even with cord-cutting, ESPN’s revenue from pay-TV subscriptions increased 6% to $7.3 billion.

During its recent first-quarter earnings call, Disney said ESPN’s rate increases from pay-TV providers were higher than a year ago and adjusted TV advertising revenue was up in the mid-single-digit range thanks to strong demand for commercial time — a positive sign as the network enters the advanced sales market for the 2019-20 TV season that began last week.

Reactions: GreatestCock
Will Cain is leaving ESPN to go to...................... Fox News. He talked politics at ESPN and will at Fox.

At least at ESPN someone would pash back on him. He won’t have to worry about that at Fox.

Will Cain is leaving ESPN to go to...................... Fox News. He talked politics at ESPN and will at Fox.

At least at ESPN someone would pash back on him. He won’t have to worry about that at Fox.
Have you ever even watched fox news? I see far more opposing views going head to head on that channel than I do other networks.

Have you ever even watched fox news? I see far more opposing views going head to head on that channel than I do other networks.

I watch Fox highlights.

oh, they have people on, usually 2 against 1 or 4 against 1. They don’t listen to each other and certainly don’t offer a fair chance.

Cable news shows are better than ESPN With political news? In what Universe? They are exactly the same.
This isn't close to being true. The average person at ESPN doesn't know more than the average person who doesn't work in politics. I can actually learn something from all of the cable news shows, both right and left. They all have knowledgeable people who present facts, even if I don't necessarily agree with their opinions. Would you watch ESPN as your main source on election night, for instance? Of course you wouldn't.

When you go "woke" you go broke. Business and the entertainment industry better wake up. Nascar might ought to pay attention also. The folks making a bunch of noise these days are pretty good at cranking up trouble. But they don't spend the money.

When you go "woke" you go broke. Business and the entertainment industry better wake up. Nascar might ought to pay attention also. The folks making a bunch of noise these days are pretty good at cranking up trouble. But they don't spend the money.
They don't spend the money. They want the money. Big tech has no problem giving them the cash and counting it as a taxable deduction.

Just don't watch them. I watched a lot of ESPN and FS1, including their talk shows. Skip And Shannon, First Take, Around the Horn, etc, and really enjoyed them all, even if they did annoy me at times. But I haven't even turned on either of those channels in at least a week. I probably will check them out in a few weeks to see if they are still behaving like woke carnival barkers. If they are, I don't have to watch. They probably don't care, so it works out well for all of us.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
I watch Fox highlights.

oh, they have people on, usually 2 against 1 or 4 against 1. They don’t listen to each other and certainly don’t offer a fair chance.
To be fair even when Hannity has someone on he agrees with he still over talks them and ignores 3/4 of what they manage to get out.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
This isn't close to being true. The average person at ESPN doesn't know more than the average person who doesn't work in politics. I can actually learn something from all of the cable news shows, both right and left. They all have knowledgeable people who present facts, even if I don't necessarily agree with their opinions. Would you watch ESPN as your main source on election night, for instance? Of course you wouldn't.

I don't watch cable news as my main source on election night. I usually don't want election night coverage anyway. I have a odd habit of visiting various state election commission websites on the night of election days to get the official results myself. I have about 8 bookmarked.

ESPN doesn't have "average" folks on talking about such issues. They have people that have opinions on the subjects like cable news does. Just because some talking head is on a cable news show 3 days a week doesn't mean they know more about such matters than a talking head on ESPN or somewhere else.

Just don't watch them. I watched a lot of ESPN and FS1, including their talk shows. Skip And Shannon, First Take, Around the Horn, etc, and really enjoyed them all, even if they did annoy me at times. But I haven't even turned on either of those channels in at least a week. I probably will check them out in a few weeks to see if they are still behaving like woke carnival barkers. If they are, I don't have to watch. They probably don't care, so it works out well for all of us.

I have turned them all off too. Anybody of color is suddenly a social justice warrior, and nobody not of color dares to disagree as they may cross the PC bridge and lose their gig. About the only person I take seriously anymore is Whitlock, formerly on TV and now working for Outkick. Speaks the truth from both ends. But I am just sick of hearing the crap overall. Whether sports, Bubba Wallace, the political angle. Its all a crock at this point. Now what happened to Floyd was wrong and will be dealt with. But this has gone well beyond that. He was forgotten two weeks ago. And it is getting old. So I just decided to quit watching them spew their opinions

I have turned them all off too. Anybody of color is suddenly a social justice warrior, and nobody not of color dares to disagree as they may cross the PC bridge and lose their gig. About the only person I take seriously anymore is Whitlock, formerly on TV and now working for Outkick. Speaks the truth from both ends. But I am just sick of hearing the crap overall. Whether sports, Bubba Wallace, the political angle. Its all a crock at this point. Now what happened to Floyd was wrong and will be dealt with. But this has gone well beyond that. He was forgotten two weeks ago. And it is getting old. So I just decided to quit watching them spew their opinions
You just opened the door for the flamers.

Odd argument considering cable news shows that talk politics 24 hours a day and push a viewpoint are doing quite well.

people love it when the station is Pushing their political view.
I don’t understand the oddness. These political cable news shows are just that. News, without a sports agenda, or even a message. Sports shows are not just sports like they once were. They are sports and politics. I don’t understand why sports network executives fail to understand that so much of their audience likes sports alone without political statements.

You just opened the door for the flamers.

I think it is about time somebody did. But though everybody talks about wanting that open, honest discussion, they really only want thay discussion to go one way. And the never ending apologist stream of consciousness needs to stop.

Reactions: ddw1263
I don’t understand the oddness. These political cable news shows are just that. News, without a sports agenda, or even a message. Sports shows are not just sports like they once were. They are sports and politics. I don’t understand why sports network executives fail to understand that so much of their audience likes sports alone without political statements.

I disagree. I think they understand their audience likes politics fine, as long as the host says something the audience agrees with

But you are ok with overpaid radio disc jockeys telling you what to think.
I pay attention to athletes telling me what to think regarding something in the sport in which they play. I consider them as an expert in their field. I may or may not agree with them but their expertise is valuable in my decision making. For me it’s the same with overpaid radio disc jockeys who talk politics. However they do it everyday. Some are bullsh*ters. Some are not. However I’ve been around the block and know they can’t bulls*it an old bulls*itter.

I pay attention to athletes telling me what to think regarding something in the sport in which they play. I consider them as an expert in their field. I may or may not agree with them but their expertise is valuable in my decision making. For me it’s the same with overpaid radio disc jockeys who talk politics. However they do it everyday. Some are bullsh*ters. Some are not. However I’ve been around the block and know they can’t bulls*it an old bulls*itter.

im not talking just athletes. I’m talking the hosts. I think most people that whine about ESPN talking politics would be fine with it if they were saying the same things Fox News said.

in fact, I’ve heard people say they would like a conservative sports channel, talking conservative topics. I guess that’s FS1 in some respects.

Last edited:
Wicked Tuna Outerbanks on Discovery starts Sunday.

While I miss Anthony Bordaine, Gordon Ramsey Uncharted on National Geographic, has been OK to descent.
My current cable package includes the Smithsonian Channel. It was new to me and I love it. Of course I like the show, “Impractical Jokers” on TruTv. Between these two shows I’m either learning something or laughing at something.

im not talking just athletes. I’m talking the hosts. I think most people that whine about ESPN talking politics would be fine with it if they were saying the same things Fox News said.

in fact, I’ve heard people say they would like a conservative sports channel, talking conservative topics. I guess that’s FS1 in some respects.

FS1 isn't close to that.

I think it is about time somebody did. But though everybody talks about wanting that open, honest discussion, they really only want thay discussion to go one way. And the never ending apologist stream of consciousness needs to stop.

That's right, they have no desire to have that open dialogue they keep telling us we need to have. Like Tramspur has said on here many times, they don't want a conversation or to pose tough questions, they want to lecture.

You haven’t made a salient point in the 4 months I’ve been a member on this site.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi

I've never heard anyone make such a comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT