ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Gamecock Athlete of all time

my favorite is harold green
second would be rob deboer
third would be ryan brewer

I am a John Roche guy if I had to pick just one....the hatred that the tobacco road had for him alone is enough. He picked apart the ACC powerhouses from North Carolina.....

Reactions: jerryusc
My favorite Gamecocks are all of the men and women that played with heart, determination and sweat to make the university look as good as possible.

Football: Kenny McKinley
Basketball: Devan Downey
Baseball: Michael Roth

Hard to pick just one, there have been so many I have admired due to their play or their determination, or just their will to win. My top ten would be .........George Rogers, Scott Wingo, Michael Roth, Bobby Cremins, Jeff Grantz, Kip Bouknight, Trey Dyson, John Roche, Marcus Lattimore and Ryan Brewer. I guess if I had to pick one out of these ten it would be George Rogers.

Reactions: uscclassof74
Lattimore and Shaw in Football.

In baseball, I really miss hearing - "The Priceman cometh!"

John Roche 50%
Jeff Grantz 35%
Connor Shaw 5%
Marcus Lattimore 5%
Donnie Stewart 5%

Bobby Bryant (DB - early 60's) is also a great favorite, as was Brad Edwards and DJ ... I still love watching great DB's play.
In the late 60's wild-man DB (and Gamecock Captain) Pat Watson from MBch looked pretty dang skippy against Clemson and Duke, too.
Isn't Watson's 4 'picks' in one game against Duke still the record? He flat-out earned his full scholarship for all four years on just one play when he put Clemson's Buddy Gore on his butt at the goal line one-on-one in 'Carolina's 7-6 W one year ... TOO MANY great players and memories to recall. Out jumping 6'11" Lee Dedmon for a tip to win against UNC was also a big deal.

John Roche 50%
Jeff Grantz 35%
Connor Shaw 5%
Marcus Lattimore 5%
Donnie Stewart 5%

Bobby Bryant (DB - early 60's) is also a great favorite, as was Brad Edwards and DJ ... I still love watching great DB's play.
In the late 60's wild-man DB (and Gamecock Captain) Pat Watson from MBch looked pretty dang skippy against Clemson and Duke, too.
Isn't Watson's 4 'picks' in one game against Duke still the record? He flat-out earned his full scholarship for all four years on just one play when he put Clemson's Buddy Gore on his butt at the goal line one-on-one in 'Carolina's 7-6 W one year ... TOO MANY great players and memories to recall. Out jumping 6'11" Lee Dedmon for a tip to win against UNC was also a big deal.

Deboar
Swearinger
Alshon
Christian Walker - loved his batting style

I think Connor Shaw is my #1. Love the way he played the game, represented the school, and he brought home the W's. Lattimore is a close 2nd through no fault of his own - he would probably be #1 if we'd been able to see him play more.

Lots of great honorable mentions mentioned here. I'll add one more to the mix I don't think anyone has mentioned: Brad Edwards. His Pick-6 that sealed the 1987 Clemson game ranks among the all-time great Williams-Brice moments. That place exploded.

I'll also give a shout-out to the much maligned Stephen Garcia. I don't recall ever pulling as hard for a player to get his head on straight as I did for him. When he was on, he was spectacular and fought as hard as a player could.

Easy, Kenny McKinley. That guy was my hero in middle school. I still wear the the replicate jersey I was given for Christmas in (I think) eighth grade every game day, even though people are starting to confuse it with Pharaoh Cooper. The sure mark of a poser (or at least a damnyankee transplant) is when I correct them, and they have no idea who I'm talking about.

Honorable mention goes to George Rogers (I still have the photo of me holding his Heisman that was taken when I was eleven; it was nearly as big as me), Devan Downey, John Roche, and Michael Roth.

On the other end of the spectrum, my least favorite Gamecock is Eric Smith. Not saying he's a bad guy (although I know a girl who went to high school with him, and she says he's quite full of himself), but he couldn't shoot, couldn't dribble, couldn't pass, and seemed to turn it over every time he touched it. Just a God-awful player in every phase of the game. The only Carolina player I have ever booed, and maybe the only one I will ever boo.

Top 5 candidates for #1:
Connor Shaw
Big George
Marcus Lattimore
Matt Price
Michael Roth

Too many favorites to mention them all, but I will add Steve Taneyhill, Stephen Garcia, Sidney Rice, Scott Wingo, Sterling Sharp, Alshon Jeffery, John Roche, Kevin Joyce, BJ McKie, Chad Blackwell, Brad Edwards, Melvin Watson, Anthony Wright, DJ Swearinger, Christian Walker, Kip Bouknight, Grayson Greiner, ...

...I gotta stop, this could go on for days!

I didn't read this entire thread, but I am probably echoing many sentiments when I say Marcus Lattimore.

Marcus Lattimore. The "game changer" for our football program (from player/talent standpoint). Gilmore was another one who helped turned the tide. Just something about #21. He was a legit talent (National Freshman of the Year, 1st Team All-SEC, etc.), and his off-the-field impact continues today. Absolute shame that his career was cut short by injuries.

Football: Stephon Gilmore... while most people credit Marcus Lattimore with starting the run of instate players, I think that Gilmore was the beginning of it. He came in, played hard, stayed out of trouble, and always represented the university with class (and continues to do so).

Basketball: Jo Jo English... always played hard, tremendous talent. Great to see him coaching locally and having success.

Baseball: Michael Roth... Give him the ball when it's all on the line. Enough said.

I echo Marcus and John Roche. Would like to add Tom Owens and Ribock.
Tanneyhill saved our season. Just think what SS could have done with him.

are you kidding me?

todd "my goodness" ellis

constipated, serviceable 1990s sideline reporter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT