ADVERTISEMENT

Find a Coach that can bring in many 4 and 5 STAR players

and coaching will take of it's self.... Its all about the TALENT
Absolutely it is; “jimmys and joes”. Further, folks can kid themselves if they want but college is no different than pro; to get the jimmys and joes you have to fork out the dough. It’s too obvious.

Thats why I say get Freeze in here. If you’re going to sell your soul it may as well be to the devil himself.

I would highly disagree. Muschamp has brought in some decent talent, but not great. He has proven that talent is worthless without a good coach.
I agree. I have not seen the development of the majority of the players. A players third year in the program and they are still making the same mistakes speaks to coaching.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Coaching is just as important as recruiting.

Liberty's two star players went on the road and beat Va Tech's three and four star players.
Maryland's recruiting does not compare to Penn State's recruiting. Maryland beat Penn St by 16 at Happy Valley.
The same thing happened in Tallahassee last week. Pittsburgh 41-FSU 17.
Tennessee out recruits Arkansas nearly every year, Arkansas 24-Tennessee 13.
Michigan St 27- Michigan 24, Michigan recruits better than Michigan St.
Louisville 48 FSU 16
Last year App St came into our house and defeated USC.

I disagree to an extent. Talent is very important. But good coaching is vital to be able to win consistently. Like they said about Bear Bryant, "He'll take his'n and beat your'n and he'll take your'n and beat his'n". Like someone else said above; He had a loaded team at Florida and they were horrible. Talent is important, but coaching > talent.

Liberty's two star players went on the road and beat Va Tech's three and four star players.
Maryland's recruiting does not compare to Penn State's recruiting. Maryland beat Penn St by 16 at Happy Valley.
Louisville 48 FSU 16
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: The Gadfly
No team (not even Alabama) has enough 4 and 5 star players to fill their entire starting roster. Very few 4/5 star high school players are ready when they walk on campus for elite college play. Add to that, some 4 and 5 star recruits are over-rated and don't pan out.

Recruiting is the life-blood of any FBS program, but without sound coaching, all that talent is wasted.

Let me see... can I think of any examples of that last statement... Hmmmm... give me a moment; this is hard... ;)

Louisville 48 FSU 16
Man bringing the fact with plenty of proof to back it... Well done sir.👍

Good talent makes good coaches great, average talent makes great coaches look average. It is the combination of the two. Believe it or not, Arkansas does not have great talent, however they have good coaching which is getting the players to believe in themselves and play over their heads. No loafing, all out effort each play.

If you look at our history, we need someone with a big name that can draw recruits and sell the future of winning. Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer or a head coach that is doing more with less at one of these smaller schools. Combine that with some good assistant coaches who can develop talent and I think we will have the recipe for success. I don't think we need a first time head coach for on the job training.

If we decide to go that route we may as well go get a true Carolina coach that understands our culture, and let them grow on the job, ie a Shawn Elliot, Duce Staley, Erik Kimrey, etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: uscfootfan
I disagree to an extent. Talent is very important. But good coaching is vital to be able to win consistently. Like they said about Bear Bryant, "He'll take his'n and beat your'n and he'll take your'n and beat his'n". Like someone else said above; He had a loaded team at Florida and they were horrible. Talent is important, but coaching > talent.
I believe that was Bum Phillips.

Reactions: powdersville
Good luck with that. A simple plan. Just get 4 and 5 stars. But it isn't that simple. With their schedule hard to build enough wins to create a lot of true excitement. At least four other programs on the schedule every year are easily more attractive to recruits. Has anyone ever thought that USC may just have a ceiling to their upside in football?

I would highly disagree. Muschamp has brought in some decent talent, but not great. He has proven that talent is worthless without a good coach.

We need a coach with swagger who won't offer a scholarship to a punter; not a coach who saves our opponents a scholarship be not having to offer a punter.

Could be. I was going from my memory which is about as reliable as Muschamp's coaching.
Sorry, I wasn't disputing you. I was just adding that I think it was Bum Phillips that made that statement. One of many Bumisms over the years. He was quite a character.

We don’t need another coach that everyone says. But he is a good recruiter. That’s like saying a blind date has a great personality cause you got nothing good to say about them

It has been decent but still middle of the pack for SEC which is where we have performed. The whole reason for bringing Muschamp was his recruiting prowess but our recruiting has been no better than it was before he got here.

Shocking that no one has thought of this! How do you get the best recruits to come in to any school that does not have a solid history? Recruits are going to go to wherever they think will be the best fit for them now and in the future. Unless you are paying them of course.
Coach has to create a vision and sell it to recruits.

Uhmm? Look at the 4* and 5* that Champ has brought in. Just as many as Spurrier, maybe more. Classes ranked as high or higher. Talent needs coaching
Saban has to replace most of his staff every year and they continue to be top four team. Why? Players. These coaches that leave for Head Coaching jobs struggle bigtime. Why? They don't have the players. I believe coaching is only 25% of the success and players 75%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT