ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Roper! How can we remain unhappy if

Dylan Thompson was a gamer, no doubt about it. You're comparing a fifth year senior to a sophomore. Dylan never completed 60% of his passes in any season. Jake's completion % last year was 65%, this year
it's 60%. His TD to INT. ratio is also better than Dylan's. The one thing they seem to have in common is the
fact that they both had/have a tendency to overthrow when they were too amped up. You could usually tell if Dylan was going to have a bad game in his first series, he didn't seem to get better as the game as the game progressed. Bentley usually gets better as the game goes forward.

Bentley has thrown for more yardage and more TDs in 6 games than he did last year in the 7 games he played. I'm not sure why people on here have to always look for things to bitch about but considering the starters we've lost and the schedule we've played, the season hasn't been that bad. Everybody talked about how bad Texas A&M was last week, apparently nobody told Alabama.
I wasn't implying that Dylan was better than Jake, I just didn't agree that Jake was "the best QB we've had in a long time" like the person claimed. 3 years ago isn't that long ago to me, anyways. Dylan threw the best deep ball when he was on and Jake throws a good one too. Dylan was a statue standing back there and that worked against us when we couldn't pass protect, although I'll never forget that run he made against Clemson in 2012. Some people forget that we've actually been blessed with pretty decent QB's here lately and it's not like Jake is our first one we've had in decades.

Dylan Thompson was a gamer, no doubt about it. You're comparing a fifth year senior to a sophomore. Dylan never completed 60% of his passes in any season. Jake's completion % last year was 65%, this year
it's 60%. His TD to INT. ratio is also better than Dylan's. The one thing they seem to have in common is the
fact that they both had/have a tendency to overthrow when they were too amped up. You could usually tell if Dylan was going to have a bad game in his first series, he didn't seem to get better as the game as the game progressed. Bentley usually gets better as the game goes forward.

Bentley has thrown for more yardage and more TDs in 6 games than he did last year in the 7 games he played. I'm not sure why people on here have to always look for things to bitch about but considering the starters we've lost and the schedule we've played, the season hasn't been that bad. Everybody talked about how bad Texas A&M was last week, apparently nobody told Alabama.
I think we are better overall and closer to what we want to be than many on here are willing to believe.

Haha, again sir, you proved my point. You are a joke. You just seem to have loved that Stellar 7 win year with Dylan Thompson. You bring him up all the time. You're clueless about football and I will quit responding to you now.

To be completely fair Dylan Thompson had to be dang near perfect that year. The defense blew. Had we had a decent defense that team could have easily won 10 games (blew leads against Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee in large part due to defense). Put up enough points to win at Auburn too.

I don't think it's cool to point a finger at a great team player like DT that waited patiently behind Connor Shaw for 3 years (in a day where most would have transferred). Just because the team won 7 games does not mean that DT wasn't a pretty good QB that season. In fact, it was one of the better seasons by a QB we had. It was spoiled by a defense that was atrocious

Reactions: robertfootball
To be completely fair Dylan Thompson had to be dang near perfect that year. The defense blew. Had we had a decent defense that team could have easily won 10 games (blew leads against Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee in large part due to defense). Put up enough points to win at Auburn too.

I don't think it's cool to point a finger at a great team player like DT that waited patiently behind Connor Shaw for 3 years (in a day where most would have transferred). Just because the team won 7 games does not mean that DT wasn't a pretty good QB that season. In fact, it was one of the better seasons by a QB we had. It was spoiled by a defense that was atrocious
That was the famous Whammy defense.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Dylan Thompson was a pleasant surprise especially when Shaw went down and he had to start the uab game. However I don't believe Thompson ever led us down the field late to win a game like Bentley did against la tech

Dylan Thompson was a pleasant surprise especially when Shaw went down and he had to start the uab game. However I don't believe Thompson ever led us down the field late to win a game like Bentley did against la tech
Dylan beat #6 Georgia in 2014and also beat Clemson when Connor couldn't go in 2012. Jake is good but Jake doesn't have any meaningful wins yet (yeah I'm including NC State). Gotta beat Clemson, gotta win a bowl game, gotta beat a top 10 team. He has time to do all 3, so that's a plus.

Dude, Bentley was not good this game. He missed two easy td passes, one to edwards on a slant and one to Hurst. He also overthrew and under threw a bunch to edwards early. We could have had two other offensive tds if it weren't for bad passes
havent you heard? its ropers fault...lmmfao

Reactions: rogue cock
Dylan beat #6 Georgia in 2014and also beat Clemson when Connor couldn't go in 2012. Jake is good but Jake doesn't have any meaningful wins yet (yeah I'm including NC State). Gotta beat Clemson, gotta win a bowl game, gotta beat a top 10 team. He has time to do all 3, so that's a plus.
Uh Tenn game was pretty meaningful last year. Pretty sure they were ranked and Bentley was a true freshman. Not saying or trying to debate who is the better qb just that Thompson was never able to engineer a late winning drive

The offense still scored 27 points and they only had a few possessions in the 2nd half because all of the Arkansas turnovers were returned for tds which resulted in them getting the ball back. Jake was well on his way to passing for over 300 yards after the 1st half
lets not be bringing facts into it..:)

Reactions: funktavious
Uh Tenn game was pretty meaningful last year. Pretty sure they were ranked and Bentley was a true freshman. Not saying or trying to debate who is the better qb just that Thompson was never able to engineer a late winning drive
I honestly can't remember if he did or not so you're probably right. Bentley will be good I think, he still needs a good bit of work and correct some things. I still say Connor Shaw was the best QB we've ever had by far.

Didn't DT come in off the bench cold and throw the game winning TD vs Michigan in the bowl game?

havent you heard? its ropers fault...lmmfao
Apparently, Roper has had some seriously bad luck with three different teams. How else to explain his abysmal rankings at Duke, Florida and here. Or were still lmmfao, whatever that is, when we failed to score for three quarters against LaTech?

If 10 wins is where some unrealistic fans want to be no, if 7-8 wins works for you this year, yea they are closer than last year
I predicted 7 regular season wins to begin the season and that is definitely progress. It was a small miracle that we won enough games to become bowl eligible last season. We are ahead of schedule on this rebuilding project. I've witnessed progress on both sides of the ball and I don't see why that won't continue. I'm going to go ahead and put it out there. 10 wins next season and we win the East.

I predicted 7 regular season wins to begin the season and that is definitely progress. It was a small miracle that we won enough games to become bowl eligible last season. We are ahead of schedule on this rebuilding project. I've witnessed progress on both sides of the ball and I don't see why that won't continue. I'm going to go ahead and put it out there. 10 wins next season and we win the East.

You were doing so good, lol... Until the last sentence , but hey , you can dream

You were doing so good, lol... Until the last sentence , but hey , you can dream
LOL. Yeah, I know. I think the East will really be down next year and our schedule will be favorable. UGA is graduating most of their team. with our improvements already on defense, i think we can have a top-25 caliber defense next season. Jake will be even more polished and we're returning almost everyone that matters on the offensive side of the ball. I could be wrong about the win total and anything can happen with injuries but I really feel good about next season. Physically, we can't compete with Clemson or UGA right now but we are trending in the right direction. I feel good about 7 this year and I'm hoping for more. I'm just curious to see if Muschamp can start bringing in higher caliber recruits after a couple of successful seasons. With his track record as a recruiter I like the odds. We just need a few breaks along the way to help us get there.

Last edited:
LOL. Yeah, I know. I think the East will really be down next year and our schedule will be favorable. UGA is graduating most of their team. with our improvements already on defense, i think we can have a top-25 caliber defense next season. Jake will be even more polished and we're returning almost everyone that matters on the offensive side of the ball. I could be wrong about the win total and anything can happen with injuries but I really feel good about next season. Physically, we can't compete with Clemson or UGA right now but we are trending in the right direction. I feel good about 7 this year and I'm hoping for more. I'm just curious to see if Muschamp can start bringing in higher caliber recruits after a couple of successful seasons. With his track record as a recruiter I like the odds. We just need a few breaks along the way to help us get there.

I'm afraid Georgia is about to take off under Smart..the recruiting is very good. While i'm certainly not comparing Ga. to Alabama, unfortunately I believe Georgia will become the SEC threat to Alabama dominance

I'm afraid Georgia is about to take off under Smart..the recruiting is very good. While i'm certainly not comparing Ga. to Alabama, unfortunately I believe Georgia will become the SEC threat to Alabama dominance
I think UGA has always been a sleeping giant. They have one of the best recruiting areas in the country and with the right coach they could stack up very well with Alabama after a few seasons. I'm not sure why they haven't gotten there yet. I'm not sure yet that Smart is that guy. He has a really good team this year and he's recruiting well but they will be losing a lot of production after this season. Lets see how well they regroup next season. If they take off next season and continue to roll, I will give Smart his dues.

Sustained drives (40-50 yards or more) that end in missed FG's are way too common on this year's team.

Should only happen two or three times in a season. We've had two a game for a couple games.

DT came in cold for one play in the Michigan bowl game and threw the winning TD to Ellington. He also had the winning (run) TD against FL and got carried off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT