ADVERTISEMENT

For all of you armchair AD geniuses out there

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
Give me an example, some precident in the last 20 years where a top 10 baseball program actually did what you are suggesting .... that is they hired away the HC at another top tier (top 10) program.

I've stated repeatedly here that Lee was my choice when CCH was hired because he was from the Tanner coaching tree, and had been a successful HC at a smaller school where he had built a contender that could compete with the big boys. Tanner thought otherwise, but that is beside the point. My main criteria for this hire was that we go after a guy with successful head coach experience who has shown he can recruit. I think we got that. We'll see how it plays out, but you guys with delusions of luring a top 10 HC to leave the place where he built a top 10 program, is already getting paid big money, has a big buyout, has admin support, and adequate to great facilities are out of your minds.

Give some precident for your expectation.

There are some decent armchair ADs out there. But we must not be the caliber of Texas or Miami.

And those "off the field" issues lead to his demise at Texas too. But it's still at Top 10 hiring a Top 10.
True...and there wasn't anything else he could prove at CSF. He'd been there 21 years and completely built that program, went to 17 regionals, 7 CWS appearances, winning 3 of them. At Texas, he took over a baseball powerhouse replacing a legend and spent 20 years enhancing their history with 8 CWS appearances and 2 national championships. Arguably the greatest baseball coach ever.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Or it shows how rare it is, since there are only 2 examples in the last 20 years. It's not like football where coaches will jump from great programs to go to other great programs.

More likely, college baseball is an obscure sport or was until 10 years ago and the examples are not as easy to pinpoint as a Roy Williams to UNC or Tom Herman to Texas. There are lots of examples because those are top tier schools who demand top tier coaches. Tanner set the expectation

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
More likely, college baseball is an obscure sport or was until 10 years ago and people the examples are not as easy to pinpoint as a Roy Williams to UNC or Tom Herman to Texas. There are lots of examples because those are top tier schools who demand top tier coaches. Tanner set the expectation
Herman moved to Texas from Houston...not exactly a top program to a top program.

Herman moved to Texas from Houston...not exactly a top program to a top program.

Top 10 team to a top ten program. My point is that big programs get who they want. So Cal does in football, so does Texas, UNC and Kansas do in bball. These are top 5 programs. Top 5 programs may not always make the right call on coaches but they generally get who they want

College baseball is leaps and bounds bigger now than it was 10-20 years ago. I'm not saying it's approaching college football or basketball, but it's one of the faster growing college sports. If it weren't, you wouldn't be seeing schools pay coaches what they're paying them and sinking millions into new stadiums.

Reactions: atl-cock
Or it shows how rare it is, since there are only 2 examples in the last 20 years. It's not like football where coaches will jump from great programs to go to other great programs.

It's rare because great programs don't need to change coaches often and most programs aren't great.

Top 10 team to a top ten program. My point is that big programs get who they want. So Cal does in football, so does Texas, UNC and Kansas do in bball. This are top 5 programs. Top 5 programs may not always make the right call on coaches but they generally get who they want
Except they weren't a top 10 program when he left for Texas and Houston definitely is not a historical top 10 program. They were the year prior in Herman's first year at the program.

I think you all have made my point. Morris left GA Tech for Miami in 1994 (23 seasons ago), and Garrido left Fullerton in 1996 (21 seasons ago). Hasn't happened since. So, I hope those of you who are so negative on the hiring of Kingston will put this in perspective, and at least refrain from any more bashing of the hire. It's been said that had O'Sullivan been willing to leave FL, Kingston would have been on their short list as SULLY's successor. Let's move on in a positive way.

BTW, Tanner said he never spoke to O'Sullivan, but others that he reached out to personally or through others were happy where they were, and Kingston was recommended or brought up in conversation by several others who Tanner respects.

Reactions: cocky4
More likely, college baseball is an obscure sport or was until 10 years ago and the examples are not as easy to pinpoint as a Roy Williams to UNC or Tom Herman to Texas. There are lots of examples because those are top tier schools who demand top tier coaches. Tanner set the expectation
Agreed. There are a lot of strong baseball programs today that treated baseball as an afterthought 20 or even 10 years ago. My guess is that as baseball becomes a point of emphasis at more and more college programs, we'll see competition over coaches start to look more like football and basketball. Pretty soon, all the major baseball programs will be paying their coaches $1million+. That is not the case now, which makes it easier for a program that _is_ willing to dig deep in the wallet to poach a good coach from a winning program (but one that isn't yet willing to commit financially to baseball). In other words, we had an opportunity this time around to demonstrate a commitment to baseball that can only be found at a handful of schools around the country. That opportunity likely won't exist down the road when the best coaches are all making big money.

Having said that, I'll trust Tanner made the right decision. He knows more about baseball than I'll ever know.

Top 10 team to a top ten program. My point is that big programs get who they want. So Cal does in football, so does Texas, UNC and Kansas do in bball. These are top 5 programs. Top 5 programs may not always make the right call on coaches but they generally get who they want

Nice try at recovering, but a job at Houston is in no way comfortable to UT. That is a no-brainer move when offered.

Leaving Florida or Louisville in baseball is not.

Reactions: JSpears5
well what top 10 baseball programs do that that we know of? uf just won the nc but if they hadnt went so far i do believe he woulda came but either way not ray's fault

Texas hired Chuck Strong, and has basically been floundering for years (given their history), yeah 2009, that was almost a decade ago. Look what OSU, Bama, etc have done since then, and 'Ol Huckleberry Hound is a UNC grad, so does that even count? Lots of blue bloods in all sports hire head scratchers, and I can guarantee it's because the pressure cooker ain't worth it, money be damned. Ed Orgeron is a prime example. Great man and position coach, but isn't LSU Football a primo job, easily equivalent to Carolina Baseball?

Here's to Coach Kingston. I ended up wanting Sully, but we got a guy who beat him with a lesser squad, at least once. Mike Martin too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT