ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin

I agree somewhat, if PJ had stayed things would be better. The big thing in NCAA basketball, the thing that brings excitement and fan turnout, is not developing a well coach team over a 2 or 3 year period, its signing the next bigtime player. Thats what the game has devolved too, sadly.
PJ is a great player. I am glad he was a Gamecock for 2 years, and only wish him the best in his basketball career and in life.

However, he by himself and with the other players on the court this year, could not have carried the team. We need some 4* recruits or Euro/African equivalents badly.

Coach FM is a talent developer, and with the raw material (recruits who are responsive to coaching and team play), he can do the rest!

If this is your takeaway, then you missed the beef of the post.

If this is your way of admitting silva is a star and has only scratched the surface of his talents, then your response is duly noted.
I think you chose to get butthurt by my post and went off on a rant. I wasn't knocking his abilities, I wasn't knocking anything about him other than his biggest flaw which is getting into foul trouble too early. I think it's funny though that the people that have been on here a whole 8 months call other people taters that have been here for years. Stay in your lane, rookie.

I think Martin will be a goner after this season. For a guy to put in this much effort into our program, get us to a final four while taking down the likes of Marquette, Duke, Baylor and Florida to only then see an empty stadium home game after home game the following season is completely disgraceful and unacceptable.

This is on Ray Tanner no? Isn't he the guy that's in charge of all things Gamecock athletics? How does this happen? Where the hell is the support for this man and this program? Good luck defending this y'all, because I'm sure as hell not.

Ray Tanner is so pitifully unqualified for this job it's painful. Why isn't the man putting more resources into efforts to increase the attendance? If you're Frank Martin would you want to continue to work under this incompetent sports administration? Nah, me neither.
Wait. The fans aren't showing up because we don't have flashy billboards? Glossy brochures? Hip music? What? Where is your responsibility as a fan?

You are describing snowflake fans here. If that's what we are, shame on us, no one else. Period.

I think you chose to get butthurt by my post and went off on a rant. I wasn't knocking his abilities, I wasn't knocking anything about him other than his biggest flaw which is getting into foul trouble too early. I think it's funny though that the people that have been on here a whole 8 months call other people taters that have been here for years. Stay in your lane, rookie.
The date on my account is erroneous and irrelevant, along with your opinion.

Also, a big lol @ this comment, "I wasn't knocking anything about him other than his biggest flaw"

I think Martin will be a goner after this season. For a guy to put in this much effort into our program, get us to a final four while taking down the likes of Marquette, Duke, Baylor and Florida to only then see an empty stadium home game after home game the following season is completely disgraceful and unacceptable.

This is on Ray Tanner no? Isn't he the guy that's in charge of all things Gamecock athletics? How does this happen? Where the hell is the support for this man and this program? Good luck defending this y'all, because I'm sure as hell not.

Ray Tanner is so pitifully unqualified for this job it's painful. Why isn't the man putting more resources into efforts to increase the attendance? If you're Frank Martin would you want to continue to work under this incompetent sports administration? Nah, me neither.

"Ray Tanner is so pitifully unqualified for this job it's painful.:

What a joke of a statement. Our athletic department is in the best shape it has been in years, if not ever. Tanner's responsibility is the ENTIRE athletic department, both athletically and academically. While there are spots that need improvement, the overall department is in very good shape. Tell me, exactly what is Tanner suppose to do to put people in the seats? We have a 7-2 club, coming off a final 4 appearance. I always find it funny, we, and I know other schools do too, have fans that don't mind tearing into a coachi, AD, or player...but Lord knows, don't let anyone complain about the fans. That's a crock!

Reactions: Bclc829
What exactly is outer conference?

giphy.gif

No, you suck.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a guilty conscience at work there. You really didn't have to out yourself like that. Like they say though, you just can't fix stupid.

I can understand Frank's frustration, but this can't help recruiting. If there is a legitimate issue, you better handle it in house and get marketing on it and stop using social media to gripe about it.

OOC scheduling needs to be s lot more of the original ACC teams and etc. Teams that are respectable and teams that fans have a history with U.S.C. basketball and that fans are familiar with. N.C.State ,Wake Forest, Tech and etc. Nothing against Wyoming but really? No one is talking about last nights game at the water cooler except for how many people werent there

I’m not sure what your point is. We don’t have data on tickets scanned. Everyone is just guessing. Frank might know a day later, but he probably doesn’t know when he does his post game presser. We know tickets sold and we know capacity. Last year we did just fine, and we’ll do just fine this year if the team is decent.

I’m pretty confident there were more people in the arena for USC-Wyoming than Miami-Boston University. If you’re spinning yourself up for a comparison.

he looks in the stands .... thats how he knows if fans are showing up...he's not stupid

that is the point

Reactions: Bclc829
OOC scheduling needs to be s lot more of the original ACC teams and etc. Teams that are respectable and teams that fans have a history with U.S.C. basketball and that fans are familiar with. N.C.State ,Wake Forest, Tech and etc. Nothing against Wyoming but really? No one is talking about last nights game at the water cooler except for how many people werent there
Agree. Would be nice to reestablish some of those old ACC rivalries in both basketball and football. That IMO would draw fans to the arena.

That's not history, that is ancient civilization. We left the ACC in 1970 - 47 years ago. Most fans don't even remember that. You might as well bring up the old Southern Conference days.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
That's not history, that is ancient civilization. We left the ACC in 1970 - 47 years ago. Most fans don't even remember that. You might as well bring up the old Southern Conference days.
Not us old farts....eventhough I don't feel that old. Plus it couldn't hurt recruiting to play them.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1

That's the ticket! I'd advise scheduling some home & homes with the following & the people would show in droves:

Maryland
UVa (this one is scheduled)
NCSU
Wake Forest

Louisville
Florida St.
Cincinnati

Not us old farts....eventhough I don't feel that old. Plus it couldn't hurt recruiting to play them.
Hey, I'm right there with you, Buddy. I wasn't speaking for myself. Some of my fondest memories are of John Roche,Tom Owens, John Ribbock and Bobby Cremins. I was at the Coliseum for the first game Roche and Owens played for USC when they were Sophomores (Freshmen were ineligible to play varsity back then).

Hey, I'm right there with you, Buddy. I wasn't speaking for myself. Some of my fondest memories are of John Roche,Tom Owens, John Ribbock and Bobby Cremins. I was at the Coliseum for the first game Roche and Owens played for USC when they were Sophomores (Freshmen were ineligible to play varsity back then).
"I was at the Coliseum for the first game Roche and Owens played for USC when they were Sophomores"

So, you were the guy who was cheering so loudly sitting behind me when Roche made the final shot and won 51-49? USC vs. Auburn :)

Reactions: bosoxcock
"I was at the Coliseum for the first game Roche and Owens played for USC when they were Sophomores"

So, you were the guy who was cheering so loudly sitting behind me when Roche made the final shot and won 51-49? USC vs. Auburn :)
Coulda been. The funniest thing I remember about that game was afterward when going home, my dad commented on Roche. He said, "he's a good player, but he won't help the team like Jack Thompson did." I reminded him of that a couple of years later. Of course he denied making the comment but he knew he did.

For all sports other than football, we fans support the team only when they win and closer to the end of the season. Basketball, baseball, women's bball, Etc. But we support football religiously no matter the record. Just the way it is. I was not there either.

Our fans comments about our OOC schedule are funny. Frank is still building this program. We are still at a point where we need to pile up some OOC wins prior to SEC to increase odds of making the tourney. This is nornal and most all programs (even UK and Duke) do the same thing. And we should too. I think our OOC schedule is pretty spot-on for where we are as a program now.

This team losing twice quickly dampened some enthusiasm. The Final Four run was amazing but it is going to take more than two seasons to build a solid, show up for every game all the time kinda of bball crowd at Carolina.

Show some patience Coach and yes, Gamecock fans do need to step it up.

Our fans comments about our OOC schedule are funny. Frank is still building this program. We are still at a point where we need to pile up some OOC wins prior to SEC to increase odds of making the tourney. This is nornal and most all programs (even UK and Duke) do the same thing. And we should too. I think our OOC schedule is pretty spot-on for where we are as a program now.

This team losing twice quickly dampened some enthusiasm. The Final Four run was amazing but it is going to take more than two seasons to build a solid, show up for every game all the time kinda of bball crowd at Carolina.

Show some patience Coach and yes, Gamecock fans do need to step it up.
Don't disagree...but I think what people are saying is that if you are going to schedule those type of teams, don't complain when fans aren't interested.

In that case I can't think of one reason any decent coach should ever want to coach our basketball team. Why coach a team that doesn't get the support it deserves?
Maybe this particular team is getting the support it deserves. I wouldn't confuse it with last year's team - not yet.

How many from the "star system" put us in the final four last year? You are un fricking believable. When we win, ther's got to be some reason that things didn't happen like you hoped, and when we lose, you knew it all the time. Maybe you should be the new AD or OC or whatever, or maybe go outside and kick the dog or poison the neighbor's cat or whatever will make you 1 iota less misserable today. Damn man, get yourself some help, your family will appreciate it. It's college sports, try and enjoy the wins, if you have that capability (I doubt it). Find a hobby, other than being a miserable human being, it's not appealing.
Last year's team had two established stars. Two more than this year's team. Already got a hobby.

He needs to get them playing a little better. We're USC don't forget. When we see a BBall team commit 30 turnovers a game and shoot 30%, it's "well, here we go again". The team isn't creating any excitement right now (and no, 7-2 doesn't mean exciting). Attendance will probably pick up after the first of the year.

No stars, eh. Lol. Chris Silva is a dominating force in the paint. He is the definition of "college basketball star player".

Perhaps you should leave the hoops talk to those with a clue. Stick to the grammar and SAT topics... sports just ain't your cup of tea, sweetie.
If I were ever going to be convinced to do that, it would not be by you. Silva has Europe written all over him.

PJ is a great player. I am glad he was a Gamecock for 2 years, and only wish him the best in his basketball career and in life.

However, he by himself and with the other players on the court this year, could not have carried the team. We need some 4* recruits or Euro/African equivalents badly.

Coach FM is a talent developer, and with the raw material (recruits who are responsive to coaching and team play), he can do the rest!
I disagree. What this team lacks is leadership and that one go to player. PJ could have been that. It might not have gotten us back to the Final 4 but I feel like it would have gotten us back into the NCAA tournament. It would have been his time to shine. He could have helped up and played his way into a first round draft pick. He listened to the wrong people and took off too soon.

The real issue is most people know this team isn't very good. It will be a miracle if they made the tournament. We have fickle basketball fans like a lot of SEC teams. The women win big year end and year out. What happened with the men's team last year was great and unbelievable, but 95 pct of the fans don't have much faith in this team even playing above .500 in the SEC.

Holy shit, I just had dejavu from last year. All we need is a post about Frank can't develop players and he can't win here.

No stars, eh. Lol. Chris Silva is a dominating force in the paint. He is the definition of "college basketball star player".

Perhaps you should leave the hoops talk to those with a clue. Stick to the grammar and SAT topics... sports just ain't your cup of tea, sweetie.

Silva is far from a college basketball star,

Last edited:
I disagree. What this team lacks is leadership and that one go to player. PJ could have been that. It might not have gotten us back to the Final 4 but I feel like it would have gotten us back into the NCAA tournament. It would have been his time to shine. He could have helped up and played his way into a first round draft pick. He listened to the wrong people and took off too soon.
I hear what you are saying, but from what I have seen, PJ would not have filled that role.

I have seen PJ play at SC ProAm tourney along side of Sindarious, Carerra (past years), Felder Gravett etc. along with other really good in state and out of state players. Thornwell, Carrerra, Felder had that kind of presence and leadership you are speaking of to varying degrees..

PJ is a different kind of player seemed to know how to get free and capitalize on another player serving as a distraction. I am not sure if he could have helped much with everyone looking at him for a leadership position. Maybe after another year of further development, but not this year.

In the right situation, he could be a very effective pro basketball player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT