ADVERTISEMENT

FSU hiring Memphis coach

Likely, good, but Justin Fuente built the Memphis program and Norvell continued it. It's hard to win at Memphis and much easier to recruit at FSU, so he should do well.

I’ve been to Memphis a few times..def have to be creative w recruiting I would think.. I was ready to leave after a couple hours

Will do VERY well. He is in step with the college football of this era that emphasize high-powered offenses.

I’ve been to Memphis a few times..def have to be creative w recruiting I would think.. I was ready to leave after a couple hours
I lived there for 4 years. Germantown and Collierville are pretty nice. Downtown Memphis, except for the area around the Peabody Hotel, the FedEX Colisuem and parts of Beal Street is a slum. Lots of inner city schools but they don't produce much in the way of football talent. The football stadium is straight out of the 60s.

I lived there for 4 years. Germantown and Collierville are pretty nice. Downtown Memphis, except for the area around the Peabody Hotel, the FedEX Colisuem and parts of Beal Street is a slum. Lots of inner city schools but they don't produce much in the way of football talent. The football stadium is straight out of the 60s.
Didn't we (Carolina) have a player from Germantown a while back?

FSU is hiring Mike Norvell from Memphis. Good or bad choice?

Probably the best choice, considering that FSU couldn't get a lot of the candidates out there. Face it, FSU is a hot mess at this time and no matter who the head coach is, it will take at least 2-3 years to correct some of the problems with talent, roster imbalance, locker room issues, etc. Further, their school president is on the way out, their AD is an interim who will be gone within a year, or two at the most, and their booster organization is in flux, as well. Top this off with the fact that they have serious financial problems AND have had to delay construction of a stand-alone football facility by taking some of the funds dedicated towards it and using them to help with the buyout for fired coach Willie Taggart.

None of this even considers the lingering issues/rumors regarding Norvell and gambling .... or coeds. FSU probably did as well as they could under the circumstances. It also says a lot that Norvell was at least their 4th-choice (maybe lower) and both he and the public knows this ..... and they guys who hired him will not be there in a couple of years.

Reactions: gpcocks
Let`s hope he does well, though I`m no fan of FSU. As much as I despise the ACC, we need some good teams in the league to compete with Clemson or this will never end. Playoff system fell right into their lap at the right time. They are proud of their weak schedule and running roughshod with every game basically being no contest. In other words, they take the easy way out - players and coaches. I guess I can`t blame them but I think one reason they struggle in a game at least once a year is how do you get up knowing the team you`re playing is crappy. Guess Dabo`s brainwashing works, hard to argue with the results.

Everyone thought it was super great when VaTech hired Fuente.

Everyone thought it was great when Texas hired Herman.

You just never know.
You are correct. The way I'd have to look at this is, there are good bets and risky bets. Fuente built a winner at Memphis, which makes him a good bet. Muschamp couldn't win at Florida, which made him a bad bet.
Sometimes good bets lose, sometimes bad bets win. But if you consistently play the odds, you have a better chance of coming out ahead.
Norvell doesn't have a loser stigma, so I would at least call him a "break-even" bet.

Reactions: ddw1263
Probably the best choice, considering that FSU couldn't get a lot of the candidates out there. Face it, FSU is a hot mess at this time and no matter who the head coach is, it will take at least 2-3 years to correct some of the problems with talent, roster imbalance, locker room issues, etc. Further, their school president is on the way out, their AD is an interim who will be gone within a year, or two at the most, and their booster organization is in flux, as well. Top this off with the fact that they have serious financial problems AND have had to delay construction of a stand-alone football facility by taking some of the funds dedicated towards it and using them to help with the buyout for fired coach Willie Taggart.

None of this even considers the lingering issues/rumors regarding Norvell and gambling .... or coeds. FSU probably did as well as they could under the circumstances. It also says a lot that Norvell was at least their 4th-choice (maybe lower) and both he and the public knows this ..... and they guys who hired him will not be there in a couple of years.

I am pretty sure the gambling stuff was created from Ole Miss people losses he turned them down. Have not heard about any other issues.

Who were the “legitimate” top 3? I have a friend here in Greenville (FSU alum) and he says he hasn’t heard an credible info on who else they tried to get.

Everyone thought it was super great when VaTech hired Fuente.

Everyone thought it was great when Texas hired Herman.

You just never know.
Those of us that thought Muschamp would be a disaster here have been proven right thus far, unfortunately. Sometimes you can just see a train wreck coming.

Who were the “legitimate” top 3? I have a friend here in Greenville (FSU alum) and he says he hasn’t heard an credible info on who else they tried to get.

In no particular order: Bob Stoops, Matt Campbell, Mark Stoops, PJ Fleck, Brian Kelley and Lane Kiffin. There was also discussion of additional candidates, including Urban Meyer, Matt Rhule, Chris Peterson, Luke Fickell, and several assistants, primarily two from Clemson (Brent Venables and Jeff Scott).

Those of us that thought Muschamp would be a disaster here have been proven right thus far, unfortunately. Sometimes you can just see a train wreck coming.

Yes, there's always a subset of the fan base that predicts disastrous results just to hedge their bets so they can come back and gloat about if it plays out that way.

There's no glory to be had from guessing right.

Many fans are nothing more than Magic 8 Balls, providing randomly generated responses.

Yes, there's always a subset of the fan base that predicts disastrous results just to hedge their bets so they can come back and gloat about if it plays out that way.

There's no glory to be had from guessing right.

Many fans are nothing more than Magic 8 Balls, providing randomly generated responses.
Tell me what he’s accomplished here in 4 years.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT