ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Liberty just kicked the crap out of #20 Wake Forest 9-3!

So you waited until the end of Mike Tyson's career before you decided he could fight? :D
Not the same thing. Every Tyson fight was an event. Among the top-ranked boxers, almost every fight has championship implications. You have to see the entirety of a team sport season to know how good the team really was and whether it accomplished anything.

I'll make my appraisal of the respective ball clubs at the end of the season. If Liberty makes the playoffs, they are legit. If Wake forest doesn't, they are not legit. Nothing was determined today.

Seems like I remember hearing how awesome VMI was around this time last season.

Reactions: king ward
Liberty's for real. Eyeroll Don't remember Wake ever having much of a team honestly. Being ranked #20 doesn't carry much weight in mid February.

Reactions: NetworkX
Not the same thing. Every Tyson fight was an event. Among the top-ranked boxers, almost every fight has championship implications. You have to see the entirety of a team sport season to know how good the team really was and whether it accomplished anything.
That's not a very good answer my friend. Mike Tyson was knocked out by Buster Douglas but who do you really think the best fighter really was? Mike couldn't beat Holyfield but that didn't change my mind about thinking he was one of the all time greats. It's not hard to look at a team and see they can play if you know what you're looking for and looking at. It's a long season but I'd put my $$ on Liberty being a regional team with a strong record. Put your trust in jimnasium grasshopper.:D

That's not a very good answer my friend. Mike Tyson was knocked out by Buster Douglas but who do you really think the best fighter really was? Mike couldn't beat Holyfield but that didn't change my mind about thinking he was one of the all time greats. It's not hard to look at a team and see they can play if you know what you're looking for and looking at. It's a long season but I'd put my $$ on Liberty being a regional team with a strong record. Put your trust in jimnasium grasshopper.:D
One thing kept Tyson from being the GOAT (or at least top 2) and that was Don King coming on board and firing Kevin Rooney as Tyson's trainer. With Rooney as trainer, (his early years) Tyson had great fundamentals and was unbeatable. He would have easily beaten Holyfield and Douglas with Rooney in his corner.

At what stage of his career was Tyson when he fought those people? The fact that you have a Tyson bias doesn't make for a bad analogy. I don't think I'm the one who introduced the boxing comparison anyway. As I said now - twice - the time to assess these teams is at the end of the season. I also said that, if Liberty makes the playoffs, they are legit. I think I'm covered.

The Liberty right fielder made an incredible play to end the game, flipping over the fence down the right field foul territory. It beat out Lawson's dunk for ESPN POTD.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
No need to do that. I had already seen that. Liberty also beat us once. I guess that makes them better than we are.
It’s always funny how far you will go. But to invoke such feeble and flawed logic is sad. You are smarter than this ill conceived post.

Ahh, the old I've got to have the last word thread! We might break a record here!

At what stage of his career was Tyson when he fought those people? The fact that you have a Tyson bias doesn't make for a bad analogy. I don't think I'm the one who introduced the boxing comparison anyway. As I said now - twice - the time to assess these teams is at the end of the season. I also said that, if Liberty makes the playoffs, they are legit. I think I'm covered.
Okay I'll wait for the end of the football season from now on to determine if Bama is a good team. All I'm saying is that watching a good baseball team hit...field..pitch etc. no matter what time of the season it is a pretty good indicator they can play not that their destiny is Omaha. Well, okay then at least I can see they were hard to beat and am willing to say they will have a strong season. My whole point is just because it was Liberty didn't mean we took the series from a good baseball team it could have gone the other way. Water under the bridge time to move on to the rest.

Okay I'll wait for the end of the football season from now on to determine if Bama is a good team. All I'm saying is that watching a good baseball team hit...field..pitch etc. no matter what time of the season it is a pretty good indicator they can play not that their destiny is Omaha. Well, okay then at least I can see they were hard to beat and am willing to say they will have a strong season. My whole point is just because it was Liberty didn't mean we took the series from a good baseball team it could have gone the other way. Water under the bridge time to move on to the rest.
This early in the season, nobody knows anything. And that would apply equally to football.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
One thing kept Tyson from being the GOAT (or at least top 2) and that was Don King coming on board and firing Kevin Rooney as Tyson's trainer. With Rooney as trainer, (his early years) Tyson had great fundamentals and was unbeatable. He would have easily beaten Holyfield and Douglas with Rooney in his corner.
They did seem to have a little more control over Tyson.

This early in the season, nobody knows anything. And that would apply equally to football.
Then I guess we need to do away with all polls and wait until say, Oct. to decide who is good. Nah, I can look at a team and know if they can play or not. We started out last season slumping but it was clear to me we had the potential to get better and we ended the season where nobody else thought we would. It ain't "rocket surgery" if you know the signs and have played the game all your life. On to the rest of the season.

I like older women.
tenor.gif

Then I guess we need to do away with all polls and wait until say, Oct. to decide who is good...
Exactly. That's what the CFP committee does and I think it is a good policy. I've seen teams go from sketchy to good during the course of a year - and vice versa. And so have you.

I'll make my appraisal of the respective ball clubs at the end of the season. If Liberty makes the playoffs, they are legit. If Wake forest doesn't, they are not legit. Nothing was determined today.
If you don't at least feel better about our struggles this weekend, then you are a robot. A robot designed to make lemon juice out of lemonade. ;)

I think the early season games matter, but if the weather is bad, as it often is, that changes things. Pitching arms are weather sensitive, and the coaches start worrying about protecting arms more than in the typical late season game.

Yep, early season games definitely matter, just ask Frank, but when you're forced to play a bunch of new faces you're going to take some lumps getting adjusted, just wish some of our fan base realized just out of high school and JUCO guys are going need a little time to get aclimated to college life and D1 competition!

Reactions: jimnasium
If you don't at least feel better about our struggles this weekend, then you are a robot. A robot designed to make lemon juice out of lemonade. ;)
I have a personal index for adjudicating these things, but this board isn't ready for it. It could have been worse, though, I'll give you that.

Baseball is like no other game where one game can mean something and at the same time not mean anything at all, so making determinations on any teams performance on one game is a fools errand.
That particular night one pitcher may be lights out or conversely he may just not have his best stuff that night. Two weeks from now no one may even bother to remember the score of this particular game.

Reactions: king ward
Baseball is like no other game where one game can mean something and at the same time not mean anything at all, so making determinations on any teams performance on one game is a fools errand.
That particular night one pitcher may be lights out or conversely he may just not have his best stuff that night. Two weeks from now no one may even bother to remember the score of this particular game.
After the first loss to Liberty for example I saw a post where someone posted not one of these players could make either of the NC teams then we won the series and came from behind against Winthrop. Gamecock fans own the patent on pre-judging teams.

Acc propped up again in the polls but Liberty is a good ball club.

Florida just got spanked by North Florida. Are they propped up or is college baseball the most unpredictable college sport? lol

Edit and Florida got spanked by South Florida last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT