ADVERTISEMENT

Garnet and Black Traditions going under

What lowcountry said. The last run of UA T’s I don’t need are from there, and a couple from Hibbet’s. Not to mention, I think our stuff is unfortunately quick to go on sale these days, but most big places won’t play, so I’m getting T’s for about 50% off. And, a couple of them are vintage logos, i.e. old interlocking SC helmet from the 60’s, and the upright rooster with the interlocking SC. Sharp. And Addams does have everything. Went a few weeks back, and the whole side that was book storage, is now all women’s and accessories.

Definitely remember Gamecock Country and Gamecock Stop. Used to go to both a lot. Can’t remember right off which one used to be where Capital Karate is now, but that’s a few football throws from my house.

I will echo what hartin said. I personally know there is a lot more to the story. The State Newspaper did not provide full context or all of the details. I'm not at liberty to say anything more other than the Satterfield's are good people hit by a series of very bad circumstances. Local "brick and mortar" businesses are struggling (generally) due to the change with millennials who are buying so much from Amazon. If those habits don't change in the next few years, our landscape will be dotted with closed retail stores (local and national chains). Heck even restaurants are struggling to survive. And this is during a time when our economy is stronger than ever. Imagine what happens when the next recession hits. There will be a lot of people in local retail jobs that will be unemployed. And a lot of other industries will be negatively impacted. I would urge everyone to think twice about saving 5%-10% by shopping on Amazon. Pay a little more and save our local economy.

I will echo what hartin said. I personally know there is a lot more to the story. The State Newspaper did not provide full context or all of the details. I'm not at liberty to say anything more other than the Satterfield's are good people hit by a series of very bad circumstances. Local "brick and mortar" businesses are struggling (generally) due to the change with millennials who are buying so much from Amazon. If those habits don't change in the next few years, our landscape will be dotted with closed retail stores (local and national chains). Heck even restaurants are struggling to survive. And this is during a time when our economy is stronger than ever. Imagine what happens when the next recession hits. There will be a lot of people in local retail jobs that will be unemployed. And a lot of other industries will be negatively impacted. I would urge everyone to think twice about saving 5%-10% by shopping on Amazon. Pay a little more and save our local economy.

This....
The only ones prospering in that market segment right now are Amazon and the people that make the cardboard boxes for them

Reactions: LakeMurrayUSCFan

I hear you but ordering online is here, it's growing and isn't going away.

I hear you but ordering online is here, it's growing and isn't going away.
I totally understand that it's here. Unfortunately, if those of us who don't live in one of the really big markets (LA, Houston, Atlanta, NY, Chicago) fail to wise up to this issue we will eventually see job losses everywhere else while the really big markets gain a bunch of "order fulfillment" jobs. I, for one, only order online if I truly can't get the product in a store here or if the price difference is significant (15%+ or $10+ difference). When I search for items, often Amazon is 2-3% cheaper than a local store, but I'll pay that extra 2-3% to help our economy. Now if I were struggling financially, I'm sure I'd have to look at that differently so I can understand those in that boat making a different choice.

I'm just going to be honest.....I couldn't care less if they closed....and if I'm really being honest....good riddance. Their G&B, Tiger Paw, and Palmetto merchandise was severely overpriced. I hated going in there, but they were usually the most convenient for Gamecock gear. If I was downtown I'd head to Adams if they were open. Most of the time I'd go in, I never actually bought anything. It was either what I was looking for was too expensive or they didn't have my size or the size of who I was buying for. They also lacked a good kids section as well.

The actual Jewelry Warehouse part was just terrible. I've been there there numerous times in the past to buy jewelry, but was usually met with rudeness, specifically the Harbison location. My mother had many an issue there, including a return/swap where they refused to give her money back. They broke my brother's watch and tried to blame it on him. The final straw was when I had a few pieces of gold I was looking to get cash for, or possibly trade in for credit, and they were almost a $100 less difference in both cash and trade-in value of other local jewelry stores.

This....
The only ones prospering in that market segment right now are Amazon and the people that make the cardboard boxes for them

This just isn't true, anyone can set up their own e-store with Amazon. The small mom and pop stores aren't closing because of online shopping, they are closing because they can't adapt to the way people shop in 2019. You can easily set-up an e-store with ebay, etsy, amazon, etc but the lack of ability to adapt to e-commerce is causing many of these smaller stores to fail and close. The e-stores on those websites would also have much lower overhead and way easier to operate.

All that being said, I am a huge proponent of supporting local business, I always eat at a local restaurant, I haven't eaten at a chain restaurant in years. However, I travel for work and have a ton going on and with Amazon Prime (now delivering a ton of items with free 1 day shipping), the ease is too attractive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT