ADVERTISEMENT

Good...getting Marlon Character after all

USC is simply not handicapped to the extent many fans claim. Spurrier showed what's possible at a program like USC. Three straight years of 11 wins and top ten rankings, 5 straight wins over Clemson, and countless wins over ranked teams, including a win over #1 Bama. In fact, I'll bet the 2013 team that finished #4 could have beaten Clemson's 2016 national championship team.

Granted, USC may not be the type of program that can just reload year after year, but there's really no ceiling on what the program can accomplish. This is an athletics program that has experienced national titles in baseball and women's basketball, a Final Four in men's basketball, and a trio of top ten finishes in football, all since 2010. How many other schools can say that, including even the blueblood programs with all the built-in advantages of in-state recruiting turf, money, exposure, and the power of a brand that's been winning for 100+ years?
That's right. There shouldn't be any alibis.

USC is simply not handicapped to the extent many fans claim. Spurrier showed what's possible at a program like USC. Three straight years of 11 wins and top ten rankings, 5 straight wins over Clemson, and countless wins over ranked teams, including a win over #1 Bama. In fact, I'll bet the 2013 team that finished #4 could have beaten Clemson's 2016 national championship team.

Granted, USC may not be the type of program that can just reload year after year, but there's really no ceiling on what the program can accomplish. This is an athletics program that has experienced national titles in baseball and women's basketball, a Final Four in men's basketball, and a trio of top ten finishes in football, all since 2010. How many other schools can say that, including even the blueblood programs with all the built-in advantages of in-state recruiting turf, money, exposure, and the power of a brand that's been winning for 100+ years?

Absolutely! Tradition is not nearly as important as most fans believe it to be. The spirit of youth does not put nearly as much stock in that is us "longer in the tooth" fans do. If we never get to the promised land...it will not be because w did not have a good start...or the fist 100 years did not prove we could....it will be because we did not make the right moves and do the right things.

Reactions: vacock# and BigTomE
I swear I see Clemson mentioned here as much as USC is what is the man crush with Clemson? It was just a few seasons ago they wanted to be like us but I don't remember reading our name constantly on their sites. So they went out and bought some good players after we spanked them 5 years in a row so what? We'll be spanking them again soon. Get over Clemson already.

i didn't read any of the reply's, but is he in anyway related to the guy that owns Characters BBQ?

Can we end it with the bagman sh*% and Clemson paying players? Don't you think that there would be a paper trail of the money or a disenchanted player willing to give up the program because he was jealous of someone else giving another recruit money? (See Ole Miss) Dabo is a used-car salesman and a redneck yahoo who uses that aw-shucks bullsh*% to suck in recruits and their families to his little cult. If Alabama would have had a decent QB behind that OL they had, they would have beaten Clemson by two scores, Saban would have rode off into the sunset and Bama would have hired Dabo on the spot. Clemson would have elevated that clown Venables or hired Morris back to coach, and they would have reverted to a 8-4 season. Let's focus on the Gamecocks winning and only consider Clemson when we pull against them every weekend.

Not if you consider all its connotations.

alibi [al-uh-bahy]

noun, plural alibis.
1. Law. the defense by an accused person of having been elsewhere atthe time an alleged offense was committed.
2. an excuse, especially to avoid blame.
3. a person used as one's excuse:
My sick grandmother was my alibi for missing school.

Still that is a extremely minor use of the word that normally means #1 above. You are using the word as a substitute for EXCUSE and no real reason to do that. Nobody else does that...... Did you get a "word for the day" calendar for Xmas last year?

here is my response...

giphy.gif

Still that is a extremely minor use of the word that normally means #1 above. You are using the word as a substitute for EXCUSE and no real reason to do that. Nobody else does that...... Did you get a "word for the day" calendar for Xmas last year?
Minor but correct. The Word of the Day people come to me.

that is so much BS, it's difficult to even laugh at it...How many consecutive years has Clemons won at least 10 games? You pick their lone awful season in 10 years and claim they recruited well despite it.Were we sitting on only 1 awful season in recent memory and more 10 win seasons we would be racking up 4-5 stars as well..Sure you can get a great player here and there with mediocre seasons...But the rule is, win consistently if you want to be in play for the prime rated recruits each season
Agreed. But I would say that while we were beating the brakes off clemson yearly and had an advantage of being a good team in the SEC, they continued to recruit well from the ACC and even outrecruited us to the point they played in one NC and won the next while we went 3-9 & 6-7.

Minor but correct. The Word of the Day people come to me.
Only if they want to sound like some dork using words in the wrong context....... we are not a historically poor performing school looking for an alibi for doing something wrong...We are a fan base trying to make EXCUSES for not doing what we need to do to be elite!

Only if they want to sound like some dork using words in the wrong context....... we are not a historically poor performing school looking for an alibi for doing something wrong...We are a fan base trying to make EXCUSES for not doing what we need to do to be elite!
Or framing alibis.

This group supposedly came in here having those relationships. Show me something.
perhaps you should look into becoming a fan of ole miss or clemson then.....unless you are saying we need to pay better and if so, ante up....if you wanna be a bagman, go for it...if not, dont know what to tell you as it appears the coaches are working hard to improve the talent...not sure what you are seeing or if you dont understand how recruiting works..

Granted, USC may not be the type of program that can just reload year after year, but there's really no ceiling on what the program can accomplish. This is an athletics program that haps experienced national titles in baseball and women's basketball, a Final Four in men's basketball, and a trio of top ten finishes in football, all since 2010. How many other schools can say that, including even the blueblood programs with all the built-in advantages of in-state recruiting turf, money, exposure, and the power of a brand that's been winning for 100+ years?
probably not, but it did take sos several years to do that and he did it with some great instate talent....dont get some peoples train of thought

Mmmmmk. At that point Klempsun fans Had zero confidence in the program and no faith in dabo. At that point in time he had proven zero. There is no reason we shouldn't recruit on a similar level unless the commitment level in the administration is not the same which it never has been.
true, we didnt even start getting serious until lou was hired...then sos left us in a bad spot and we are digging out of that hole now...it is gonna take winning to start recruiting like we want and i think this staff has done about all it could and dont understand how anybody does not get that...

Reactions: cocky4
perhaps you should look into becoming a fan of ole miss or clemson then.....unless you are saying we need to pay better and if so, ante up....if you wanna be a bagman, go for it...if not, dont know what to tell you as it appears the coaches are working hard to improve the talent...not sure what you are seeing or if you dont understand how recruiting works..
Not sure you're understanding my post, either. I haven't said the coaches aren't working hard. What I've said is that, when we come up short on a targeted player, I'm tired of people crafting alibis for our recruiting mechanism. It's irritating. Just do it.

Not sure you're understanding my post, either. I haven't said the coaches aren't working hard. What I've said is that, when we come up short on a targeted player, I'm tired of people crafting alibis for our recruiting mechanism. It's irritating. Just do it.
So you're saying we should get every player we want ?

That wasn't your initial question, which was absurd. The answer to your third question is "yes".
Oh ok just wanted to make sure. The truth is sometimes we just don't get the guy besides he wants to go somewhere else and the coaches did their best. Even with my dashing good looks every girl I ask to go out with me doesn't do it.:D We can't get every one of them that's not the way it works in the real world.

Reactions: cocky4
Oh ok just wanted to make sure. The truth is sometimes we just don't get the guy besides he wants to go somewhere else and the coaches did their best. Even with my dashing good looks every girl I ask to go out with me doesn't do it.:D We can't get every one of them that's not the way it works in the real world.
Granted, and when that happens, commentary isn't necessary. Alibis aren't necessary either.

Klempsun started killing it in recruiting after going 6-7 with a recently hired former receiver coach. Stop the bull/(($ excuses. Want to win an sec/national? Better recruit on that level.

Yeah, it also happened around the time pictures of their recruits holding stacks of $100s started popping up on the internet.

If you want a program built overnight, I suggest you become an Ole Miss fan. Otherwise, it takes time to build relationships to get the top recruits. The upgraded facilities, the increased staff will pay dividends, but the only way to get it as quickly as you seem to think should happen is the Ole Miss way.

The Tater way seems to have worked pretty well.

You need to realize that Clemson, as much as we hate it, has always been a top level program with lots of tradition. To expect Muschamp to reverse 100 years of history in just 2 seasons is a bit out of touch.

Uh, no. They were no different than us before the cheating years that put them on probation after winning the NC in 1981. They were paying for players then. That's a FACT.

And if you think what just happened was any different, you are a fool. Remember Lateek Townsend. We were easily the better team at the time and wanted him badly, yet he up and commits to Clemson. A week later there are rumors that he is flashing cash around school claiming he won the lottery. He was expected to contribute immediately as a freshman, yet nobody could figure out why he wasn't playing. A YEAR LATER, we find out he was suspended for 4 games because he took impermissible benefits from a Clemson booster.

You also see players like Kenneth Page and Mike Bellamy posting picks with stacks of cash. Chad Kelly was even proud enough to post a pic of his Clemson-branded cash.

Not hard for anybody to see exactly what has been going on. NCAA needs to do their job and bust them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT