ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest turnaround in college coaching.

JoeBlow89

Mar 13, 2020
Has there ever been a coach with a record close to .500 after 8 years that has been able to turn the corner and build a consistent winner? I’ve not been able to find one. Is USC just spinning it’s wheels with Muschamp?

Reactions: SOSUSC
You made a wrong turn, buddy. This is the coronavirus forum.

Seriously, though, it's a question worth asking about Champ. We're not working with a small sample size at this point. You're going on a decade of mediocrity. The one hopeful thing is that he's been recruiting pretty well and bringing in highly rated QBs. Bobo is his last chance to make it as a head coach.

Maybe Frank Beamer?

I do not believe Muschamp has it in him to become a future chapter in the next Gladwell Outliers book.

Reactions: polo-loco
Has there ever been a coach with a record close to .500 after 8 years that has been able to turn the corner and build a consistent winner? I’ve not been able to find one. Is USC just spinning it’s wheels with Muschamp?

Might want to take a look at Frank Beamer’s career record... his record was well below .500 at Va.Tech (his first P5 job), and it was year 7 before he ever won more than 6 games, I think. He ended up being the most successful coach in school history by a long shot. at a program that was remarkably similar to our own historically.

I’m sure there are plenty more, but that was an example that came to mind after less than a moment’s thought.

Reactions: JoeBlow89
Bill Belichick was 36-44 with Cleveland. He's now the best ever. Saban had 1 good year with MSU(his last) other than that he had a couple 6-6 records a 5-6 record. Coaches start looking like geniuses when they start getting better talent..

Bill Snyder at KSU. It took him less than 3 years to bring a winning record and then turned them into a perennial wining program.
One of the greatest turnarounds in CFB history, and it isn't even close.

If we ever hit the lottery with a QB -- kind of like Belichick did with Brady -- I think Champ could be the guy. Decent D with a great QB is a recipe for victory!

Reactions: chickadee#
tenor.gif

Reactions: polo-loco
I think the biggest reason I have little faith that Muschamp will turn the program around is that his 4-years here have closely mirrored his 4 years at Florida, with many of the very same issues. When we talk about "giving him time," that normally assumes that the coach is making progress along the way, even if it is not translating into victories on the field. With Muschamp, it's more a feeling of repeating the same practices and techniques that were unsuccessful at Florida.

Having said that, I'm hoping his 5th year here is when it all comes together.

I’m not sure about the Beamer comparison. He was already having success as a head coach when he took over a VaTech team that had just been sanctioned by the NCAA and had their prior head coach resign as a result.

In this scenario you’re looking for a guy that took over a program and failed and then turned it around in another spot.

Even with Belichick you aren’t seeing a guy that simply repeated the things that didn’t work the first time around. You saw a guy who had failure and then made changes to the way he did things. He didn’t completely abandon his ways but he didn’t go to NE and just repeat the same pattern and expect different results.

To this point I don’t think there is anything to look at and say that Muschamp has changed anything that didn’t work at Florida.

The hand that typed Will Muschamp in the same sentence as Bill B and Nick Saban should be sawed off.

Reactions: CtownNat1ve
Wow . Yeah that’s good with me
Yeah, I had to look it up. Now, it did take him a long time to win his first national championship - maybe that's what you remember. He had an elite team (often probably the best team) at FSU for a long time before he finally broke through and won the title. I think he had nine 10+ win seasons, during a time when teams only played 11 regular season games, before he finally won the championship.

If we ever hit the lottery with a QB -- kind of like Belichick did with Brady -- I think Champ could be the guy. Decent D with a great QB is a recipe for victory!
And why would you expect a decent D under Muschamp? His defense hadn’t been ranked among the top 60 the past 2 seasons. That’s not decent, that’s pathetic.

Muschamp is good human being. Look at his contributions with the virus too. However, IMO he is a below average HC. His record bears this out. He is just not up to snuff.

Compounding the problem is we have a below average AD. This cocktail is going to have a debilitating effect. They both buy more time with the virus.

Barring a miracle, we will never beat Clemson at football with these two jokers at the helm. Never.

Might want to take a look at Frank Beamer’s career record... his record was well below .500 at Va.Tech (his first P5 job), and it was year 7 before he ever won more than 6 games, I think. He ended up being the most successful coach in school history by a long shot. at a program that was remarkably similar to our own historically.

I’m sure there are plenty more, but that was an example that came to mind after less than a moment’s thought.

CWM is no Beamer. He crapped the bed at UF too.

CWM is no Beamer. He crapped the bed at UF too.
I believe the point was comparing records such as Beamers when he was at Virginia tech
No doubt you would have something similar about Beamer when his record was terrible in his first few seasons

Yeah, I had to look it up. Now, it did take him a long time to win his first national championship - maybe that's what you remember. He had an elite team (often probably the best team) at FSU for a long time before he finally broke through and won the title. I think he had nine 10+ win seasons, during a time when teams only played 11 regular season games, before he finally won the championship.
It wasn't so much BB was doing something wrong that took him so long to win his first NC, but as he put it "But he had to play Miami". Take away those losses and most were heartbreaking and we have a totally different story.

I believe the point was comparing records such as Beamers when he was at Virginia tech
No doubt you would have something similar about Beamer when his record was terrible in his first few seasons
Beamer was a winner at his first job at Murray State, He had a track record of winning, unlike WM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT