ADVERTISEMENT

GREATEST VICTORY IN HISTORY OF USC BASKETBALL

FYI...For all their great well earned basketball accomplishments, Duke still has not won a game against South Carolina since 1965.

They beat us in 2001. Not meaning to spoil the fun, but you know, facts are facts. Anyway, what a night!

As of right now, tonight's victory over Duke is the biggest victory of the program!!! Why? Because we won two tournament games after a 44 year drought and Duke has been on fire over their past 4 games. When we whoop Baylor on Friday, that win will then supplant tonight's as our biggest victory ever!!!

Yeah, this has to be up there with winning the ACC way back when and when we beat UK to win the SEC. This win was watched and paid attention by so many more people, which is what makes it so special. The entire nation was watching this one.

Tom Price spoke tonight of a center who committed in 68. He was admitted, but UNCs AD was commissioner. The ACC blocked him. We appealled to the NCAA, and won. But the ACC office still blocked him. After a short time, he transferred to Louisville, where he averaged 19 rpg. I can't recall his name....but I was ready for tonight.
You are referring to Mike Grosso, and the year was 1965.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Tom Price spoke tonight of a center who committed in 68. He was admitted, but UNCs AD was commissioner. The ACC blocked him. We appealled to the NCAA, and won. But the ACC office still blocked him. After a short time, he transferred to Louisville, where he averaged 19 mpg. I can't recall his name....but I was ready for tonight.
Mike Grosso. Eddie Cameron of Duke and for who Cameron Indoor Stadium was named after, was the one led the shenanigans to block Mike Grosso from playing for the University of South Carolina. Mike Grosso was the #2 recruit in the country his senior year in high school. The #1 recruit was a player named Lew Alcindor...Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Grosso ended up transferring to Louisville, where he averaged 19 points a game and led the country in rebounding for two years averaging I think over 19 rebounds a game.

This was one of the main catalysts for Coach McGuire leading the effort for us to eventually leave the ACC. Tonight was the hugest of wins for a lot of great people who have worn the Garnet and Black and one who wanted to wear it but was not allowed to by the ACC.

Tommy Moody did a radio report tonight prior to the game reviewing all this and says Mike still comes to a lot of Gamecock functions and loves the Gamecocks. Tonight is undoubtedly a great landmark moment in University Of South Carolina athletic history.

Last edited:
Definitely the best win ever and I was there in 1971, graduated in 74. We have been conference champs in the SEC also, this is uncharted territory with 2 NCAA wins.

Mike Grosso. Eddie Cameron of Duke and for who Cameron Indoor Stadium was named after, was the one led the shenanigans to block Mike Grosso from playing for the University of South Carolina. Mike Grosso was the #2 recruit in the country his senior high school year. The #1 recruit was a player named Lew Alcindor...Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Grosso ended up transferring to Louisville, where he averaged 19 point a game and led the country in rebounding for two years averaging I think over 19 rebounds a game.

This was one of the main catalysts for Coach McGuire leading the effort for us to eventually leave the ACC. Tonight was the hugest of wins for a lot of great people who have worn the Garnet and Black and one who wanted to wear it but was not allowed to by the ACC.

Tommy Moody did a radio report tonight prior to the game reviewing all this and says Mike still comes to a lot of Gamecock functions and loves the Gamecocks. Tonight is undoubtedly a great landmark moment in University Of South Carolina athletic history.

He averaged 16 points and 14 rebounds against some bad competition. He had 2 knee surgeries and was never the player hyped to be after the injuries.

Mike Grosso. Eddie Cameron of Duke and for who Cameron Indoor Stadium was named after, was the one led the shenanigans to block Mike Grosso from playing for the University of South Carolina. Mike Grosso was the #2 recruit in the country his senior high school year. The #1 recruit was a player named Lew Alcindor...Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Grosso ended up transferring to Louisville, where he averaged 19 point a game and led the country in rebounding for two years averaging I think over 19 rebounds a game.

It was Paul Dietzel who led the secession effort. McGuire went along with it. The Feud was between Cameron and McGuire - USC was caught in the cross-fire, so to speak.

Reactions: vacock#
Even though I was young I remember the great teams from '70-'73 and winning the ACC in '71. But imho this win is bigger.

Regardless, I feel like our program just squared the entire ACC in the nads!

Go Cocks!!!

Reactions: NetworkX
As of right now, tonight's victory over Duke is the biggest victory of the program!!! Why? Because we won two tournament games after a 44 year drought and Duke has been on fire over their past 4 games. When we whoop Baylor on Friday, that win will then supplant tonight's as our biggest victory ever!!!
Yes, its context that makes this the biggest win.

Reactions: USC1832
It was Paul Dietzel who led the secession effort. McGuire went along with it. The Feud was between Cameron and McGuire - USC was caught in the cross-fire, so to speak.
PD was an idiot. Our pulling out of the ACC was one of the biggest blunders in college MBB. It took us decades to recover. Firing Jim Carlen, the best FB coach to ever coach at USC, was the biggest blunder.

I will never again worry about losing the first conference tournament game if we know we're in the dance.

Reactions: GLiDE.
PD was an idiot. Our pulling out of the ACC was one of the biggest blunders in college MBB. It took us decades to recover. Firing Jim Carlen, the best FB coach to ever coach at USC, was the biggest blunder.
The problem with Carlen, IMO, was his insistence on being AD too. Too bad we weren't wise enough to tell him the offer was for head football coach only.

Last edited:
The problem with Carlen, IMO, was his insistence on being AD too. Too bad we weren't wise enough to tell him the offer was for head football coach oonl.
Yeah, u r right. His standing up to that crook Holderman who wanted FB funds for his own agenda didn't help him. How could the BOTs side with Holderman? Never have and never will understand that.
It griped me back then that Spurs and Feathers sided with the dismissal of Carlen instead of telling the truth.

Yeah, u r right. His standing up to that crook Holderman who wanted FB funds for his own agenda didn't help him. How could the BOTs side with Holderman? Never have and never will understand that.
It griped me back then that Spurs and Feathers sided with the dismissal of Carlen instead of telling the truth.
If only we'd found out the truth about Holderman much earlier. Would have saved a lot of people a lot of suffering.

Reactions: GLiDE. and atl-cock
The problem with Carlen, IMO, was his insistence on being AD too. Too bad we weren't wise enough to tell him the offer was for head football coach oonl.

The problem with Carlen was that he was a jerk and made a lot of big money donors mad as well as the BOT. He wasn't that well-liked. McGuire really didn't like him.

We have won 8 of our last 11 games vs Duke, not bad, i don't care when it occurred, trolls are always bringing up old stuff to talk us down in everything.

Reactions: GLiDE.
The problem with Carlen was that he was a jerk and made a lot of big money donors mad as well as the BOT. He wasn't that well-liked. McGuire really didn't like him.
True regarding the BOT, but Carlen didn't like the BOT meddling in the athletic department which they did for years and stood up to the BOT's lackey in Holderman. The BOT was wrong...and as was proven so was the crook, Holderman.

Gamecock football helmet currently on display on the tv version of Russillo and Kanell. Frank Martin all over television today. Lots of great publicity today.

True regarding the BOT, but Carlen didn't like the BOT meddling in the athletic department which they did for years and stood up to the BOT's lackey in Holderman. The BOT was wrong...and as was proven so was the crook, Holderman.

Yes, the BOT should not meddle/micromanage the athletic department; kudos to Carlen for standing up to that (regardless of who is the AD).

Having an AD who is also a team coach for one or more sports is, IMO, a potential conflict of interest. An important, but separate concern from the BOT meddling in athletic affairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
K did have nice things to say about us after the game; amazingly gracious.

Maybe we can move forward and schedule a home-and home with them in MBB.

I agree I thought he could of made some excuses, and you could see with 18 seconds left he called off the dogs, and said stop fouling on the TV, on top of the segments on the NC State 30 for 30 and his friendship with Valvano at the end of Jimmie V's life, I have picked up respect for him, did i just say that, and you and I are in agreement?

Last edited:
Reactions: Holy City Cock
I liked him. I liked his attitude and players liked and respected him and played well for him. He was a winner. USC's firing him hurt both USC and him. I don't care if he couldn't win popularity contests.

I agree I thought he could of made some excuses, and you could see with 18 seconds left he called off the dogs, and said stop fouling on the TV, on top of the segments on the NC State 30 for 30 and his friendship with Valvano at the end of Jimmie V's life, I have picked up respect for him, did i just say that, and you and I are in agreement?
Let's do lunch;)

FYI...For all their great well earned basketball accomplishments, Duke still has not won a game against South Carolina since 1965.
That is an amazing statistic. I love it! Lots of people don't realize that McGuire had some really good teams in the years leading up to the Roche era.

That is an amazing statistic. I love it! Lots of people don't realize that McGuire had some really good teams in the years leading up to the Roche era.
Amazing, but false. Prior to last night's victory, we had lost to Dook the last two times we played them: in the Maui invitational on Nov 20, 2001, and in our last ACC meeting with them, in Cameron, on Feb 1, 1971.

Dietzel didn't fire Carlen. Holderman did!

He averaged 16 points and 14 rebounds against some bad competition. He had 2 knee surgeries and was never the player hyped to be after the injuries.
Let us not forget Freddie Solomon. The ACC raised score requirements above the NCAA to send Freddie to Tampa and then returned to NCAA standards the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT